Masters Running

The Mind, Confidence, and defeating the Mental Demons ... (Read 435 times)

I have a race coming up soon where all signs point to a good day. I know I have trained well and been smart about everything. But I also know I sometimes struggle to defeat the Mental Demons that lurk at the end of every Marathon. I'm no dummy. I know all about the power of being positive and confident. I have Faith in my life and lean on it (and Him) daily. I am by no means a pessimist. If you knew me "in real life" you'd never think I could be anything but positive. I've been "in the zone" enough to know what confidence can do. But I am realistic enough to know that things happen and that a good day is never guaranteed. The last 10K of a Marathon is a physical challenge but more importantly a mental one. I can't just finish a Marathon and know I'll BQ (like Tim will). For one who is right on the edge for my BQ, I need every second and ounce of strength I can garner. I've taken to using Mental Phrases during my training runs to see if that will help override the negative thoughts. When I get the inevitable bad stretches I tell myself "I feel terrific" or "This will pass soon enough". But it always seems a little artificial to me. So, what techniques do you use to keep yourself "up" and "strong" during tough patches? And what do you do before the race to ensure that great confidence that means everything. I have my last 20 miler this Saturday and I'd love to practice some mental ideas that all you smart and talented people use that have worked for you. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Luctor Et Emergo Is the Latin phrase at the bottom of my road ID. Loosely translated......."I Suffer but I Survive" I use Mantra's, positive thoughts and I argue with myself......alot.
        Bill, I also am chasing a BQ and will try for mine in June. I also am on the edge and although I feel I have a good chance of getting it done this time around there are things we cannot control like the weather or a late in training injury so yes a lot of us go into these with some self doubt. Although BQ is my real goal I will enjoy the race for what it gives me on that given day. We put so much into our training that to come away with anything but pride and accomplishment would make the next training cycle impossible. This is the stratagy I used late in my last marathon, I Never allow myself to walk, even through late water stations I always feel if I compromise this rule I will be giving in and that will be the beginning and other compromises will become easier, like slowing down. I never look at the end of the race until I am there, Its easy to kid yourself that at mile 20 a magical vision comes over us and we know how its gonna end. I know there will be many struggles between 20 and 26.2 for me so I look forward to the challenges so that when they do come I am ready and step up to them not allow the 20 mile imaginary wall be an excuse for giving in. And finally as silly as this sounds I break up the miles into 2 mile segments. If I look forward to every mile it seems like a long way but it seems only half that far if I count by twos. Confused I really hate reading signs late in a race reminding me this is mile 23 ! Shocked the reality is scarry so I try not to pay attention I really like races where the aid stations are not at the mile markers for this very reason. Every race is different and no matter how well you train things don't always go your way but if you believe in your training, and yours has been fantastic, you will smoke this race! Good luck Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I tried several times to BQ before I hit it. My first success was really close. I nearly cramped up at the end less than two miles from the finish, just as I had on on my prior attempt. For me it was learning to back off, and yes walk, briefly if necessary to prevent nearly cramping from becoming cramping. But, none of that is likely to be of much help to you! As to mental games all I say to myself during a long race is "go, go, go." Not too creative but if you can conjure up deeper thoughts around mile 23 of a race you have a much deeper mind than I do!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I find myself improving form and increasing turnover rate when I spot a cameraperson. Maybe you could pretend that you are constantly in a viewfinder the last few miles! Seriously, you might think about what your personal power words might be (glide, Boston,...) and develop a chant using them. Good luck, Bill.
              Since you mentioned faith, I will tell you I sometimes resort to the rosary--it's a kind of counting thing and keeps things in perspective for me (note: I do not ask for help in the race as I figure there are enough real world problems going on that need divine intervention!). Have you tried visualization? While on your 20 miler, think about feeling good and running the race, "see" yourself going through the water stops, following your water/food plan, having a positive experience. Good luck! grins, A [ ps: When possible, I like listening to the Red Sox.] pps: How far are you from Ft. Myers? I'm thinking it would be a grand place to retire.
              Masters 2000 miles
              evanflein

I argue with myself a lot too. And I try to pick out a topic of argument early on so I can pull it up when I'm getting tired. This may sound strange, but it works for me. Getting through NYC was hard because I was hurting (three weeks of pool running pre-race was not the best prep, but it got me through). At mile 18 I texted DH to tell him I was having foot problems and walking a lot. But I was able to run a lot of that last 8 miles because I'd make deals with myself (run to the next water stop and you can walk a few steps). And the inner discussion of how to pay some bills and finish some things around the house kept me distracted. I think those things allowed me to still BQ that race when it seemed pretty unlikely at one point. It's also probably the reason I don't remember much of miles 20 to 24... Big grin
                  Bill, Marathons are hard. Mine is coming up in 4 weeks and already I am battling the demons. Remember they will be easier to face after the taper and on race day when your body is rested and ready. But the demons will still come hopefully not before 30k but come they will. The key for me is to repeat this phrase "Never Quit" and when I say it speaks to who I am. I am huge believer that if you are passionate about life and certain things in it, perseverance will win out. To me I am an example to my two lovely girls to whom if I could leave only one message for life, it would be Never Quit, keep on trying, because with trying success comes. Not all the time but sometimes and most of the time, since most other people tend to give up to easily. We have all worked with people that are smarter than we are, played sports with people that are stronger or fitter than we are, but how many times have you seen people with a no quit attitude end up ahead of them. The answer is often. Passion and determination are an unstoppable force. Perseverance is the key...mile after mile. As they say running a marathon is like life, so go out there and show them how you face life. Head on with little to no give in the face of adversity. I will be thinking of you as will your other friends on this board. Never Quit Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Interesting topic. Here's a long response. I’m not much of a “faith” guy so let me toss in some science. For me, pushing past tough spots involves out-thinking my own brain. [Insert joke here about how easy that should be.Tongue ] I don’t pretend to understand the nuances of neuroscience but my basic takeaway from what I’ve read is as follows: Most of our brain is used to do things about which we are unconscious. As a result of its evolutionary past—and like all other animals--large parts of our brain monitor our environment and our body, regulate breathing, perspiration, and a thousand other things we typically don’t consciously control, adjusting our systems as needed. Other parts of our brain are involved in producing those nifty little electrical signals that we know as thoughts, which allow humans to be more than instinctive animals. We get to reflect on ourselves. Sometimes the conscious and subconscious mechanisms of our brains are in conflict. Think of a big public speech or some other event that makes you nervous; anticipating a crisis your brain’s subconscious automatic “fight-or-flight” system kicks in (evolutionary self-preservation again) and your pulse races, adrenalin flows, etc. But you use the conscious parts of your brain to talk yourself into staying as calm as you can; you’re overriding the subconscious brain. If successful, you learn that the automatic response system of your brain was lying to you. There was no crisis; you did fine. In races, something similar happens, except it’s sort of the opposite of “fight-or-flight.” The subconscious brain senses the intense stress the body is going through and—switching to that self-preservation mode— in anticipation of running out energy, begins telling your body to shut down to conserve energy and other resources.. This happens before you are actually out of energy. So for a period, your body can still perform even though your brain is telling you it can’t--or at least shouldn't. All the efforts at “positive thinking,” “visioning,” “prayer,” dissociating, “mantras,” etc are all about getting past those subconscious brain messages by introducing your own conscious message that will allow you to tap into that last remaining bit of energy. The keys for me have been: 1. Understanding what’s going on during those tough spots. By understanding what’s going on, I can essentially tell the voices, “That’s BS. I know what you’re trying to do and I know I can keep at this a while longer.” [I just went through this over the weekend with a brutally hot 10K in which I was ready to stop by mile 2 but managed to hang on.] 2. Having a few experiences in training where my brain says “I can’t possibly go on” and then I successfully go on—for whatever reason. I prove to myself what all those neuroscientists tell us: there’s a difference between what your body can do and what your brain says it can do. In hitting a tough spot, when the “I can’t go on” voices occur, I remember those moments when I didn’t listen to the brain’s warnings and, instead, kept going. I think of my training, I tell myself I am prepared and I can do this. And I focus on what I’m trying to accomplish, which is never “run fast” but rather “run steady” or “run relaxed,” which is less intimidating yet achieves the same result.

Be safe. Be kind.

Great post Bill and super responses thus far. The marathon seems 100% mental and 100% physical to me. Okay, so that's 200%, but the mental aspect of this sport is so important. I too can't just use "this will pass" or even "Yeesh, KG you ran 80 squillion miles in tougher conditions, just do it." Instead, I break up the race into 5 mile segments for a few reasons. * I don't use a GPS watch and never will in a race, so I have to memorize where I want to be in 5 mile increments. *It takes me at least 3 -4 miles to settle into my race pace groove----settle the breathing, check my form and find my spot---my race bubble *Most importantly for me, it calms the panic demons when I can think of the race in phases. When I used pace bands or watched every split, I would easily panic if I wasn't hitting the targets spot on and then get pissed off (excuse me!) at the pace band---rip it off and slow down. I knew of course that I should trust the training and that I could get through it, but my confidence would fray. Now it's just easier for me to work though a five mile segment to get "on pace". I also subscribe to what Tramps posted about our brain's impulses when it comes to survival. I swear my phantom taper pains are instigated by the neurological demons who are saying: "Oh, we know what she is up to....she's taking to the roads for longer than we would like, let's make her ankle hurt, let's make her knees ache so badly on the morning of the marathon that she will decide to forego this insanity." We are great at adaptation and then reaching new levels, but our brains don't like that necessarily and are just as happy, thank you very much, to skip the pain part. It's not so much nefarious as it's survival instinct. When doubt strikes and when my determination flags, I look at a point in the distance and use it to reel me in. Water stop to water stop, mile to mile. My mantras will be more about form: "lower your shoulders, quick feet, change up the stride. Sometimes if I focus on that for long enough, I am a mile further down the road and I survived it. Bill, you are already doing what I find most important of all and that's to hard wire marathon pace into your training. Feeling that pace is critical. I know that running without a GPS or even a watch will not be your thing, but all your training in the last months has been about dialing in the desired pace and running at that pace through all sorts of conditions. I can easily recall several posts on the daily thread where you were so pleased (and rightly so) because you were running at MP or at comfortably hard pace and you lived to see the next day and do it again. Read your posts again before your 20 miler, dial in that pace and you'll remember it come race day. Visualize those last miles when you realize you are hitting it. Smile, pick up the pace even and cross the finish line.

"older but not dead yet"

Coaching is like teaching. We need to coach the mind and the soul. The trick is how do we nurture our souls? The advantage you have as a spiritual person allows you to draw from preternatural strength. Alberto Salazar spoke to me at Nike HQ about his reliance on his spiritual beliefs (he's a devout Catholic) and the peace of mind that it afforded him and can afford you. We need to ground our confidence within our self-esteem. One cannot underestimate the opportunity you have to step away from your uncertainties and hand it over to Him. The marathon in its essence is simply a metaphor for life. And as in life, nothing is guaranteed and fate plays its hand with an inscrutable shrug of its shoulders. You have the opportunity to see just how far your faith reaches? When we say we have it, but still voice doubts, is it real? I'm probably going to get into trouble for what I'm going to say next, but so be it. As a spiritual person, my best advice for you is to pray your way through the race. It's not being presumptious because you've done the requisite training. It's not being spiritually facetious because you're not a nominal Christian. You're a practicing Christian and this is a wonderful opportunity to live your faith through your race. What better pacer and coach could you have with you during your marathon than the very one who gave you the ability to run in the first place! Bill - all you have to do is hand it over to Him. He never fails. Alex (a brother in Christ)
                        Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Coaching is like teaching. We need to coach the mind and the soul. The trick is how do we nurture our souls? The advantage you have as a spiritual person allows you to draw from preternatural strength. Alberto Salazar spoke to me at Nike HQ about his reliance on his spiritual beliefs (he's a devout Catholic) and the peace of mind that it afforded him and can afford you. We need to ground our confidence within our self-esteem. One cannot underestimate the opportunity you have to step away from your uncertainties and hand it over to Him. The marathon in its essence is simply a metaphor for life. And as in life, nothing is guaranteed and fate plays its hand with an inscrutable shrug of its shoulders. You have the opportunity to see just how far your faith reaches? When we say we have it, but still voice doubts, is it real? I'm probably going to get into trouble for what I'm going to say next, but so be it. As a spiritual person, my best advice for you is to pray your way through the race. It's not being presumptious because you've done the requisite training. It's not being spiritually facetious because you're not a nominal Christian. You're a practicing Christian and this is a wonderful opportunity to live your faith through your race. What better pacer and coach could you have with you during your marathon than the very one who gave you the ability to run in the first place! Bill - all you have to do is hand it over to Him. He never fails. Alex (a brother in Christ)
                          No you didn't cross the line...I was thinking the same thing. Bill, it's about Faith. Faith that you have done the good work and lean on that. It really is Faith we allll rely on when we train sooo very hard, and hope on race day it all comes together. Sure, I have never completed a Marathon yet, but I don't believe in that "invisable" wall at mile 20, really. I sorta have a cocky attitude which comes from my cycling back ground...had to be that way. But running is more individual...you and the pavement and your mind. I choose to think I am stronger than the negative impact my mind may play on me...I truly trust my hard work and training to carry me through...there is no "wall" except in out minds. Our God cares about the smallest things in our lifes...including our running. You made it through singing Sun in the choir right? You will dig deep in your Marathon too and find that BQ...just for you Buddie. You mentioned my name...I have to work very hard too, to accomplish my goals and aspirations too!!! You will run great, have "Faith" in your training Bill...that's your strength. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

And what do you do before the race to ensure that great confidence that means everything.
                            For me, that would be Imodium. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Actually, my mantras toward the end of the marathon are: “I’ve come this far, I’m NOT GOING TO QUIT NOW!” or “Fast feet, fast feet.” (from something CNYrunner taught me) or “I PAID MONEY to be in this much pain...” Tongue Also, it really helps me to envision all the folks at RA, wishing me well and encouraging me to keep going, keep going. Tramps – you’re right about not listening to those messages. I have learned that my lazy legs can actually keep on going long after they tell me it’s time to stop.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

I'm probably going to get into trouble for what I'm going to say next, but so be it. As a spiritual person, my best advice for you is to pray your way through the race. It's not being presumptious because you've done the requisite training. It's not being spiritually facetious because you're not a nominal Christian. You're a practicing Christian and this is a wonderful opportunity to live your faith through your race. What better pacer and coach could you have with you during your marathon than the very one who gave you the ability to run in the first place!
                                I am not a religious person at all and I have absolutely no problem with what you are saying here. Though I'm not a religious person I still am very spiritual. I can rely on things like my family waiting for me at the finish, running with the memories of people important to me that I have lost, etc.. All of those things are within me, and I use them to pull me through those tough times. So I can definitely see where you're coming from and agree with you. I've only run one marathon, and a trick I used after mile 20 was the "one more mile" trick. Just run a mile. Then do it again. Try not to think about that whole 10K you need to run, just the next mile. That really helped me. Good luck!

Not at it at all.