Masters Running

Sunday 1 Feb first run in the new month (Read 394 times)

jules2

13 mile fell race while most of you were still in bed. Just below freezing at the start and a strong East wind, lots of mud and hills then we got snow at the end. 1:56:00, no idea where I came as I decided to get home before the weather got worse, so now its dinner and a long bath until my skin winkles.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

No run yet - will go this afternoon. Had to work all day yesterday. Yuck - but at least I do have a job (for now). Lost in yesterday's thread was Lou's 20 miler - great run Lou! The PBJ family tradition for the "Big Game" (can I trademark THIS?) - superbowl grinders from our youth group at church, and watching the puppy bowl before the real bowl. What's yours? T

jules2

The Superbowl is getting big over here again even though it is in the middle of the night for us. They are bringing a game over to London and sold all 75,000 tickets almost immediately

Nice race, Jules!
          great run Lou! tradition ... What's yours?
          Thanks, PBJ! For the super bowl, we host a party for the local homebrew club -- it's a lot of fun. Today I recovered a bit... 5.1 miles, 47:24, 9:18/mi, AHR 139 (70% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I just finished 12 miles at 10:22 pace. Now it's time for a shower and some pre-party chores to get ready for the aforementioned Super Bowl party with the homebrew crowd. I plan to eat a lot of chili and drink moderate amounts of really-good-beer.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Jules2, what is a "fell" race? 18.08 miles of hills @ 9:23 this morning...an absolutely gorgeous day here, daffodils are coming up and it will get into the 60's today. Enjoy the game everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

jules2

Good morning all, Jules2, what is a "fell" race? 18.08 miles of hills @ 9:23 this morning...an absolutely gorgeous day here, daffodils are coming up and it will get into the 60's today. Enjoy the game everyone!
                Its a cross country involving hills and mountains, some are only a couple of mile or so but go straight up and down the side of a mountain others are a lot longer but they all involve hard climbs. The name comes from the fells in the Lake District and they have been going for a couple of hundred years at first it was shepherds and mountain guides and even now they are separate from athletics for example the race today was organised by a climbing club.

First day above freezing in weeks, so overdressing was the order of the day at the 8AM club run, and I saw a lot of clothing tied around waists by about the 3-mile mark. Not me, though (I could feel Ribs looking over my shoulder). Finished the 6 miles at just under a 10-minute pace, slowed in some spots by snow drifted a bit deeply over the path. Good running, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

9 miles...7:56 pace
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice racing Jules!! Gordon - you are a speedster. HI Doug - Nice to see you posting again! It is rather warm in Michigan today isn't it! Out for 4 recovery miles today. Boy, was I sore after yesterday's 10 miles, so I just took it easy. I also took off the yaktraks which felt pretty darn nice. 4 miles - 11:13 avg. pace - 162 avg. HR Happy February!!! Oh, our tradition is just watching the commercials, game with the kids. Junk food is on order but I still have to go to the store to pick things up.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Alright Jules, mud, snow, wind, & hills all that fun makes you feel young don't it Wink Superbowl! I live in mostly Steelers country but grew up in Browns country. I'm hoping for Cardinals mostly cause I 'm a Kurt Warner fan and Larry Fitzgerald is great. Can't deny that the Steeler organization is a class act and the players ain't bad neither. Lou the homebrew club party sounds like a goodtime Smile I'll be at a high school athletic booster club fundraising party, very costly but could win some money and it was fun last year. 30 degrees warmer than yesterday, beautiful sunny 33 F for our 7 mile club run this morning. Smile I spent 9 years on-call for serious injury vehicle accidents and let me tell you, the 2 hours after the Superbowl are the most deadly of the year. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE TONIGHT.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mariposai

I wanna go to the Beers party tooooooo Smile Joules, great racing, I hope you give us a RR soon. gordon... great running there dude. How is the job front? ilene......you lucky kitty for running with the legendary SrLopez.....I have been trying to do that for ages, but I am always ignored Wink Erika.......you so ROOCK...that was a great run you had last night.....MP pace I only dream about......please don't tell me you are doing a 20 miler today. Twocat...you is life? No run yet, but will go out to scout a route that is snow free where I can run my intervals this week.Cool Happy superbowl sunday.. hi dg.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Tammy—glad you’re enjoying the Garmin. Neat, isn’t it? Erika—you nailed that run last night! Great job. Jules—glad you explained the “fell” designation; makes that time all the more impressive! PBJ—puppy bowl? Confused Peter—nice one with all those hills, as usual. Doug—glad you’ve got a break from the deep freeze…at least for a day. Gordon—it’s great to see you back, but do your posts have to go on and on and on like that? Tongue A warm front moved in during my run. At the start, temps were 28F with a pretty strong wind and my hands were cold. By the end, temps had and shot up to 52F; still windy but I was sweating by then. 21 mile progression run in 4-mile increments: 4 @ 8:56 4 @ 8:41 4 @ 8:26 4 @ 8:04 Then my “No-look Final-4 Fast-Finish Miles”® (pick up the pace and run entirely by feel—no Garmin peeks!) 7:52 - 7:31 - 7:26 - 7:19 Cool-down mile @ 9:18 I had fun. Trying to hit the target times helps make the run go by faster and I practice patience by running so slow at the start.

Be safe. Be kind.

fatozzig, thanks for your comments. nono, congrats on your monthly mileage PR (and hip ok). EGH, I'm sorry to hear your run was shortened by shin and calf pain (however, you were being smart). dg, congrats on your fastest 4 mile run. runningindc, congrats on your highest mileage month in a long time. jules, nice job on your race in though conditions. Nice long runs for perch, Tramps (icy but no FOMA), SueT, breger, Holly, fussy, hopeful, WRFB, wildchild, mariposai, Evan, PDR, and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for craneium. As roch and hopeful reported, it's warm here in MI. When I went out this morning it was in the mid 30s with a decent wind. I picked a route where the wind was at my side so that helped a bit. I did 8 miles in a bit under 1:17 for a 9:35 pace. Unlike roch, I was not over dressed. I dressed for the temperature but the wind made me marginally cool. While running, I thought back to the first of the week when I ran at 0 degrees and calm and was warmer than today as I had overdressed for that run. I thought it funny that I felt warmer at 0 than at 35. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                              evanflein

Thanks for the nice comments on my run yesterday. I was happy with it because I usually do such a crappy job at consistent pacing and I did this pretty much by feel! I checked the Garmin every now and then for overall time, but not really pace. Mariposai, today I'm planning on 16, but I may do like Holly and hit the TM for this one, or at least most of it. Running out in those temps (-24 now) and the snow... it just takes a lot out of me. Tramps, I don't have the patience to do those first 4 at almost 9 minute pace! That's where the treadmill helps keep me honest... but then you don't really teach yourself anything using the TM cuz it's doing the "pacing work" for you. Very nice run for you today! Sometimes I pick someone's description of their weather conditions and say I want to be there for the day. Today I'm picking Peter's day. That sounds wonderful, can't imagine daffodils coming up! Wow, nice. That Brewclub party sounds like a lot of fun... nothing so organized here. We'll watch the game and commercials, but I'll be up and around doing other stuff too. DS2 has soccer from 1-3, and the game starts at 2:30 here so he's not real happy with that. But we'll just hang around the house, grill some bratwurst and have shredded pork sandwiches, drink some adult (and non-adult) beverages and call it good. Hi PBJ and Gordon! Nice of you to stop by. Smile