Masters Running

Sun Master / Boomers (Read 361 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Rain rain and more rain here in Indiana yesterday. Actually had a state of emergency which made running pretty much impossible. Out for a long run in a few minutes, when normally this would be a 6 or 7 easy run day.Just wanted to say GOOD MORNING ALL, and good runs, or what ever you do today....enjoy! Mostly sunny and beautiful here this morning (and I won't mention HOT and HUMID, lol) Such wonderful news Amy with the progress of your DH....makes today an even better day!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SteveP

Amy, your keeping us posted about you and DH is kewl. I'm off to Church and day 3 of Mom's estate sale. Progress is good, however, there is still a lot. Progress is progress. Yesterday DW and I put a mile in with our grandson and the dog. Those two adore each other. The tyke cracks me up when he laughs.

SteveP

The Jogger

Morning Gang, thanks for starting Tim and enjoy that long un. Steve, great pic, no, no, CRACKING pic, the grandchild is a cutie as is the dog, sorry Steve, I'm not calling you cute, just a happy looking, proud grandfather Big grin Anyway, 3m recovery with MrsRoy & woody on a dusty trail and the sun high in a blue sky, sweat trickling down my forehead, I won't talk temps either Tongue 3m 34:45 @ 11:35 pace AHR 139 63% Good runs all Roy
          Good morning everyone. Stay dry Tim! Cute picture Steve. The grandson looks so thrilled. Cool Everything was telling me to not run today. Didn't feel like it. Hating running right now. Thinking nice dream thoughts. But in true Byll fashion I resisted and went out anyway. And it went pretty well. 12 miles at a slow 9:33 min/mile pace with 4 hill repeats. I hydrated better (3 fuel belt bottles - 2 with water, 1 with gatorade), and ran easier than I did last weekend. I ran up the hills easy and went down harder, but not all out. Sealed the marble countertops afterward. Now off to breakfast. Feeling pretty good now! Need to install a range hood later on. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning! Thanks for the good start guys. Steve, that picture is just great. A dog and baby is always a fun picture and this one is certainly that. Enjoy the days with that baby (as I know you do). I did enjoy my time at Smith Mountain Lake yesterday with temperatures in the mid to upper 90's. I was proud to be at the lake on a hot day. Somehow I always mess that up and end up at the beach on cold, rainy days. I have shyed away from red meat over the last couple of years and had a hamburger at this restaurant at the lake. Talk about GOOD !! My brother was rushed to the hospital yesterday with what was thought to have been a heart attack. After some mild medication and evaluation, the doctor said it was another anxiety attack. She is a new doctor and is talking about some proactive activity in the case, rather than sitting back. My brother was impressed with her approach and seems to have confidence in her, which is key. We will see what happens. It was almost funny because in our conversation, he mentioned five different fears. With each one, I countered then with the positive aspect of the same thing. At the end of the conversation he thanked me for my advice and words. All of this had just sort of happened. I was not intentionally trying to come up with anything to disagree with him, I just did see another side. Aamos/Amy.......I would be interested at some point when your husband feels up to it, in getting his account of how he felt and the moments leading up to his collapse last week. I think for most of us who often do wonder about what might happen, his experience could be a learning point for us. This is only if he feels comfortable in sharing this information with us. Of course, our prayers and thoughts remain with him. I am THRILLED at his response to the operation so quickly. Have a great day everyone. Joey
            Vista

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Tim would you PLEASE send some of that rain over here! H&H here in the Piedmont, just the way I like it!...82F when I finished my run. 15.41 miles of hills @ 9:14 pace this morning, HR unknown but I felt pretty good finishing up the run....came back, got nekkid and jumped into the pool.... Cool Good running to every and stay cool

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I didn't do as well as Byll. I packed it in after 8 of the 12 planned miles. I had the opposite -- I thought the run would be fine before I started, but the weather which is not to be mentioned (and maybe isn't even the way I like it) took too much out of me. I was arguing with myself starting at 4 and went back and forth before I settled at 8. But I did break 40 for the week -- barely. This is the first time since March so I won't feel too bad about it. Next week I'm in Nevada again. The humidity looks better there than here, at least. I got put at a hotel in a bleak industrial park -- different than the hotel I'm used to. I have to figure out the running routes again -- grr. Workout: 7.1 miles, 9:13/mi, AHR 149 Overall: 8.1 miles, 1:15 Steve - that picture is adorable.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning, Great photo Steve and I think all of you are cute (not needing to worry about that man to man praise thing)! Thanks for the upbeat start Tim---hope your run was a good one. I ran 18 miles today with two of the Js---one for just the first 7 miles as she is coming back from ITB issues, and the whole deal with Iron J. We chose a loop with water fountains and carried water as well. 9:07 pace overall according to her Garmin and 18 miles on the nose----good loop with rolling hills and some shade. I weighed 107 pounds at the start of the run and 104 at the finish, drank all the water I carried during the run and had 4 succeed tabs---no problems after and feel good. I am just grateful I am not racing today. Aamos, thanks so much for sending regular updates. I am so happy for both of you and that you are feeling good about the recovery so far. Take care of you as well. The toll on family isnt always felt immediately. I am glad you got out for a run. I am still sending you daily hugs whether you want them or not! Smile Wildchild---you ROCK! What a great way to run your first half-marathon. Congratulations! The kiddo has a baseball game at 4 and between now and then I plan to clean the house, wrestle with piles on my desk and bathe the dog. yeah, right...... Vista, you are a marvelous brother. Hugs to you and your brother as you face uncertainty. Happy trails, Karin/CNYrunner
                    Only 5 easy miles today due too the H&H and I have to ump 2 games this afternoon. Tim way too much rain there in Indiana but they keep poopin out before they get to Eastern Ohio. Steve that photo is definitely is a keeper. Vista I'm looking forward to Amy's DH answer to that question. I took that test an had a 4% chance of heart attack. Thanks for all that info Amy. Now enjoying my coffee & waiting for my breakfast pizza. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! Aamos – greta news about DH! Sorry about the 100th official marathon, but it will be better next month when your DH can celebrate it with you. Erika – looking forward to soccer pics of your sons. How far is Anchorage from your home? CNY – cranky yesterday? Hard to believe… Stumpy and Enke – those radar things never worked for me, either… Wildchild – woohoo! 7 hours painting the kitchen yesterday, 3 hours the day before, and at least 3-4 hours I spent when I started this project, and I prolly still have 3-4 hours to go. Who would have thought one room could take so long to paint? But so much of it is with a trim brush around cabinets, molding, windows, doors, counters, and carefully freehanding the line where the wall meets ceiling (too bumpy to tape), first with primer, then with 2 coats of paint. Jlynne I’m covering the blood-red semi-gloss the previous owners left with a color called “chewy caramal.” So far, I think I like the color, but it’s still hard to tell, because clashes with the putty-colored cabinets. Nest weekend I’ll dismantle them, sand them, and paint them a dark walnut. 13.1 miles today in temps ranging from 71-80 during my run. Miles 3, 4, and 5 were at MP-ish (8:36, 8:47, 8:36), but after that it deteriorated into one of the most carpy runs I’ve had in a while. I slowed down as the sun got higher, but still by 10 miles I was exhausted, and began taking short walk breaks periodically. Maybe hydration/salt issues, maybe acclimatizing, maybe just a carpy day – who knows? I finished with 60 weighted squats and 60 dead lifts, in the air conditioning. Now, a shower, and off to the waterpark for a couple of hours. Smile Smile Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday to all. seems like all the news is on the positive side today. out for a lake loop at 7am this morning and already 73F...78 when I finished 30 minutes later. Legs felt dead for most of the time, so didn't make it past the one loop as I had hoped. spent yesterday lifting docks and boats in 85F, so I guess getting used to the heat hasn't happened yet. Finally stopped (mostly) sweating about 20 minutes AFTER the shower. actually I think it's the lack of consistency recently that's doing it. Last 4 runs have been 55, 71, 56 with rain, and 78 today. can't adjust easily like that Smile no complaints are being registered here, but I will say that IRC and temps above 65 will never appear together in a sentence typed by me. Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

....steve//.......what a Cutie......... ...........vista//........hang in there........... ============= ..........90s...........60min trail run.......... just the facts m'am.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I wasn't going to post this weekend, but ended up stuck in here at work with a technical emergency. I haven't had this kind of situation for several years at least, and it's ironic that it's happening just a couple of months before my retirement. It enforces my decision since it makes me realize how tired I am of dealing with these "same ol' same 'ol" things, and also is making my management very nervous since they won't have much coverage for this after I'm gone. Anyway, I'm glad that Amy's DH is doing so well, and I too would like to hear a little from his side of the experience. But right now the recovery is the most important thing. Obviously no running or biking for me today, but I'm hoping to exchange my early-morning running routine for early-morning biking starting this week. Gotta go now -- good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

munchkn883

Steve -- Cute pic of you all! I love to see our youngest granddaughter hugging Boomer (their Boxer). Vista -- You are a great brother...hang in there and know you all are in my prayers. No walking for me today. One of my bosom buddies is picking me up at noon. We are driving to Va. Beach so tomorrow morning I can get in a fighter jet simulator. (sorry if I already told you all about this). Scan scheduled for 6/26 to find out why my markers decided to go up. (again, sorry if I already told you all about this)!
                                Wow is it hot out there today. An hour and a half with L. It was close to 90% with high humidy at 9am!!! We almost packed it in early but hung on. We were so covered in sweat it was amazing...kind of a turn on. (oops sorry). Shocked Anyway, happy we had a nice run today...it's so hot I think I might stay indoors and clean up as the girls are here tomorrow. Have lots of things to do, not many of them pleasant as I finish off some stuff for the lawyers and accountants. But it could be worse, much worse. CNY - Great run Vista - Thoughts are with you...you are always so positive..great Steve - Awesome pic...so cute Breger - great run and sealilng countertops too...busy busy Good running Stumpy Holly - wow that is a lot of painting..good for you for taking a running break and water park break. enjoy. Enjoy the day everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently