Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 8.22.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm sorry that I've been absent more than I've been here this week, but it has been a busy and unpredictable time.

I hope you're having a good time in NYC, C-R. It can be a great place to run, with some great city-scape scenery, and lots of energy.

Right, Marj - 'Jay' and 'run' rarely occur in the same sentence. Great shots of you with the little rugrats, and Henrun with the big'uns. You accomplished a lot on your 10-mile ride yesterday!

Nice sproinking, PBJ, especially after (or because of) the SS chocolate chips!

Dave, are you sure your old Timex isn't stuck on 29:13? If it isn't - great, consistent running!

Dark chocolate peanut butter sounds very scary (in a very tasty way), Aamos. Nice bagel run in the H&H. I share your question about how one gets over 100% if that is the upper limit of a scale. It sounds like someone out to make a point in a very unscientific way.

Sorry about the flight-delayed, pep-less run, Ribs. Backing off, enjoying a cuppa coffee, and looking forward to another day is not such a bad way to deal with those circumstances.

Down 1.5 lbs. this week, BC - wow! Nice 7 on the treddy last night, followed by a pool dunk. Your DW is a power walker? Why haven't I heard about this??

Did you get your 11 in last evening, CNY? We used to have a cat that could turn on the TV - we'd come home from work, and he'd be sitting on top of the TV, looking down at what was going on on the screen. He loved to watch tennis...

What a beautiful place to kayak, Mariposai. It could be worth getting sore to enjoy that scenery.

Great story about DS#1, Jlynne. I've heard variations of that from many parents. Nice run & core work yesterday. How'd DBC come out?

Did you make it up early for your 7-miler, Leslie?

Good idea to stay in to avoid the lightning, Holly. Good luck to DD on the tennis team - did they get their match in yesterday?

Have fun at PF, Roch, and enjoy your company this weekend. Let us know if you make it to Monday without running.

Stop beating up your quads, Twocat! Thanks for the scaly explanation. But, to my way of thinking, if the parameters/limits of a scale aren't fully defined/explained, it renders that scale less helpful. Thanks for all you are doing to organize and inform the RTB team!!

That's 105.3% funny, Mike! Great job on the 9-er.

Yep, Tet, what you said...

Welcome home to you and Abby, Evanflein. I'm glad Abby is getting better. Get some sleep!

Last nigh was the Saunder's At Rye Harbor 10K - a 38 year-old race with some odd quirks (you have to earn your race shirt, rather than getting one just for registering). The course is flat or gently uphills for the first 3 miles, a short steep hill at midpoint, downhill for the next 1.5 miles, and flat the rest of the way. It was overcast and surprisingly cool at about 69F. This race is famous for being run on some of the hottest August evenings, but not this year. I'd had an off week, with inconsistent workouts, and some complaints from various body parts, so I wasn't sure how many more complaints I'd feel during the race. I took more time than usual to warm up, just to be sure I'd be ready when the gun went off at 6pm. I had on my blue & orange Mizuno Musha, black shorts, white "Granite State Racewalkers" singlet, and a bright orange cap. I started out well and, as always, looked for runners a little faster than me to key off of. After my last race, I knew I needed more hip rotation and a faster turnover rate, so I kept reminding myself about those two issues throughout the race. I did pretty well, but got a little lazy behind a too-slow runner in mile 6, so my split there wasn't want I wanted it to be. I finished in 1:06:08, which was 16 seconds faster than last year. I was the first racewalker, and collected my prize of $100 and an autographed book by the race director/novelist.

This morning, I went for a very easy 2-mi. recovery walk in a light drizzle, and then did lots of stretching.

Good luck, fleet feet, tail winds, and big finish-line grins to all this weekend's racers:

08/23 evanflein - Golden Heart Trail 5k

08/23 shipo - NH XC Festival 5K, Manchester, NH

08/23 Dave59 - Crim 10 Miler - Flint, MI

08/23 Holly S - Superhero Underwear 10K, Dayton, Ohio

08/23 pfriese - Yukon Spirit 5K, Yukon OK

08/24 IBleedUnionBlue - Emerald City 1/2 Marathon, Dublin, OH

08/24 Deez4boyz - Rev 3 Olympic Tri, OOB ME

08/24 milktruck - Westport Island Shore 10K, Westport Island, ME

08/24 tetsujin - Lake Meridian Super-Sprint Triathlon (Kent, WA) - barefoot

And have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I'm glad I checked one last time before I started the daily.  Thanks for kicking things off Jay.

I picked up my Crim packet yesterday and tselbs was there:

http://i59.tinypic.com/f9jerb.jpg

I stood behind a guy in line for some cover and was going to try to take a picture without tselbs seeing but I wasn't quick enough and he saw what I was up to.

It's a bit of an extra drive to pick up my packet early, but work was boring and it makes Saturday morning much more pleasant when I don't have to fight the crowds of last minute registration.

Today was just 2 easy miles.  I didn't wear a watch, but odds are I was not done in 29:13 this time.

King of PhotoShop

tselbs looks like the kind of person who gets carded every time he tries to order a beer.  Great pic!

After yesterday's sluggish off-day I went out this morning with the Saint and struggled through 4.5 miles.  Temps were okay, but pretty muggy. I never run well after a day off, so I'm guessing tomorrow will be a great day.  Everyone have a good weekend.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay's a pro!    Nice racing!  Probably still not terribly close to breaking even, though.

Good luck to Dave and Tom2 at the Crim tomorrow, too.

4 miles around the lake this morning.  It rained overnight and was pretty cool, but really humid.  No one to chase down this morning, so the final fast mile wasn't quite as inspired as Wed.  This week's long run will be an unofficial half.  Last week's 11 left me a bit more worn out than I expected.  I think more hydration and maybe some added calories might help.

Have a great weekend, all!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

It rained overnight and was pretty cool, but really humid.

++++ 3 miles in swampy humidity for me also.

I have a couple of shirts from Saunder's, but never won any money.  with the speed of last nights racers, i wouldn't even have gotten a shirt.

good luck to week-end racers!

marj

SteveP

The capes on my socks got tangled in my shoelaces again! Some days it's complicated even to simply put on the tights.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still just barely morning on the east coast.....beautiful cresent moon this am before sunrise, anyone see it?  Days getting shorter at both ends, for sure.

Thanks, twocat!  It still is confusing in contexs other than the box situation.  As far as heat index goes, someone else explained that since temps are measured above 100, when the heat index is above 100, it just means the "feel" is above 100, i.e., as if it were 109.  Still confusing; does that mean humidity is factored in?  Why not just have a temp gauge that does that all the time?  OK, I'll stop, but somehow, I feel there is a connection to grade inflation in all this.

So the Senior games are in the Twin Cities during or near the 4th of July in 2015.  Since Mike, Starr, and others are in and around there, any momentum to try and qualify and meet up there?   Since Ft. Myers is also the winter home of the Twins, we have some decent flights to the Cities, so I could get there with not too much difficulty.

Congrats, Jay; I sometimes do the same thing, keying off another runner.  What's the name of the book; is it a novel?

BC, I found those pounds and will happily return them!  I usually gain weight around a marathon; for some reason, these ones are being pesky and hanging around longer than they should.  Maybe it's because I picked them up at altitude

Glad Abby is on the mend, Erika.  Now take care of yourself and as Jay said, get some rest if you can.  And good luck in your race this weekend!

Good luck everyone racing!

Tselbs and Dave, hope you have a lot of fun at the Crim.

Great cross-training, Marj and Mari.  Love the pics.

Managed 8 miles with Speedsters last night; it was under 90 for the first time in a few whiles here, and so got in 6 at under 9 minute mile pace.  Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, but I am going to skip the local 5K and just go out and run.  Probably slowly.

Hi Jlynne and Leslie!  And safe travels/welcome home to C-R, CNY and Ribs.

Happy Weekends, all,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

The capes on my socks got tangled in my shoelaces again! Some days it's complicated even to simply put on the tights.

Kevin, you wearing a cape at Richmond?  Or just the tights?

Sayhey! MM#130

Dathan Ritzenhein is going to be at the Crim this year: Ritz

SteveP -

Jay - Nice swag and racin'!  And no, I didn't get up for the 7 this a.m.  Will have to run them after work.  When I was still looking at the clock around 1:00, I realized getting up at 5:0 a.m. just wasn't gonna happen.  Had a great time last night, although I didn't win any money.

Great pic of TSelbs.

I have decided that our new receptionist, who just started this past week, is as evil as she is cute.  There are two - count them TWO - plates of donuts in the kitchen.

Good luck this weekend to our racers ~~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jay, congrats!  And nice prize money and book too!

Steve - maybe it would be easier inside a phone booth?  Oh, wrong superhero!

Nice picture of Tom2!

My son has his last day of marching band camp - after two weeks of 9-5 and sometimes 9-9 practice.  Now he says he wishes he could have another week of it.  Upon further probing, this is because he got to eat lunch at Red Robin, McDonald's, a gyro store (his favourite) and free pizza one day.  I told him, yes, the perks of a high school right beside a mall that I forget to tell you about....

I got off my butt finally and did 4.4 miles in the cool damp air (57F) this morning.  Boy did that temperature ever feel refreshing.  Looking forward to the IRC of fall....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

My son has his last day of marching band camp - after two weeks of 9-5 and sometimes 9-9 practice.  Now he says he wishes he could have another week of it.  Upon further probing, this is because he got to eat lunch at Red Robin, McDonald's, a gyro store (his favourite) and free pizza one day.  I told him, yes, the perks of a high school right beside a mall that I forget to tell you about....

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Jay, pretty sweet to win cash! I always like hearing people say they win cash, or gift certificates for shoes, or whatever. All we seem to get around here are points for end of year awards, and then maybe a shirt or jacket if you're in the top 5. I'd run harder for a gift card or cash!

Steve, some days are like that.

Ribs, I know what you mean about not running well the day after a day off. I usually feel pretty stiff and clumsy the next day. Not having run for two days now, I'm fully expecting to trip and fall on my face today.

Abby is doing better, but still not really well. The vet said "she's doing ok..." which was not what I really wanted to hear. The next three days will be key in her recovery. If she doesn't really improve by Sunday, I'm afraid prognosis is not good. My poor lil' kitty.

Saturday's 5k is usually a mud-fest, but we've had no rain the last few days (amazing!) and the garden is actually looking dry (and awful, but that's another story). I was thinking of wearing my trail shoes that I got last year because I slipped so much last year at this race. But now I'm thinking I might not need them? What to do... oh well. I brought them today and I WILL get out for a run this afternoon on the trails to see how they feel. After the short recovery runs earlier this week and the "rest" or non-running days this month, I'm concerned I might miss my 200 mile goal for August! I have a quick trip to Dallas on Monday and Tuesday, so might not run those days either. Rats.

coastwalker wow a $100 for a race!  You are my hero!

AamosY I am not sure what goes into the heat index.  But the dew point does combine the temperature and the humidity level.  If you really want to know how wet or dry you will be if you go out and run the dew point is more accurate than the humidity level alone. You just have to get used to what the values mean.

As for me I continue to be nobody's hero.  I took another day off from running.  I think the quads are healed up enough that I could have gone out today but I want to do the 9.4 mile race tomorrow and did not want to mess that up.  In the meantime, I did manage to slow roast 7 tomatoes!  Yum!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

As for me I continue to be nobody's hero. . . .  I did manage to slow roast 7 tomatoes!

Say what??  If you share the roasted tomatoes, that hero status could change real fast.

Erika - Poor Abby and Poor Abby's Mom. 

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance