Masters Running

The Daily Show: 12.16.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm glad to see there is a lot of good running, traveling, eating and living going on around here! Keep up the good work, friends.

Ribs, the Lapham's Quarterly arrived yesterday. Thank you for sending it. It's bigger than I thought, and it'll take me some time to get through it, but I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of reading; over coffee this morning, I continued to read last Saturday's Wall St. Journal (I know - Saturday's paper on Tuesday??). One of the back sections includes a review of different people's favorite books of '14, and I've already seen about half a dozen I'd like to read. But that'll have to wait till I finish the book I'm reading, the two waiting on the shelf, and the Lapham's. I would dearly love to have more time to sit and read, but I have no idea of where to find that time. I can't even get through a 4-section newspaper on the same day!

6.1 RW miles under pre-dawn, cloudy skies and in 33F temps this morning. Based on a video that someone sent to me, I channeled my inner BeeGees this morning to help keep my turnover rate up. I'm continuing to work on better hip rotation at the same time (a constant quest), and it made for one heck of a workout - hard, but a fun time.

Tonight is our wrap-up dinner meeting for this year's Seacoast Half Marathon. I'm sad it's over; I'm glad it's over...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Third week in a row to get wet feet on the Tuesday hill run.  7 miles, 45 and rain.

(Work has me mentally drained at the moment or I would post more.)

(Work has me mentally drained at the moment or I would post more.)

Hang in there Dave. Maybe posting more would help

Good morning Jay! Sounds like you've got a bookshelf full of good reading. We should all take more time to do that. My DH sets aside an hour every day to sit down with a book (which usually results in a little nap too)

5+ miles for me this morning in 37° and rain. I was dressed ok and there wasn't much wind, but boy was I chilled to the bone when I got inside my warm house. Then 20 minutes of core and ab work. A 3 minute plank is pretty impressive Mariposai!  One of the personal trainers at the Y gave me a new core exercise:  take a Bosu ball and sit toward the front, then lift your feet off the ground and try to do Russian twists holding a 10 lb. medicine ball. Just trying to keep yourself from falling off is an exercise in itself.

Spent yesterday morning baking Christmas cookies. Then I had 3 little boys (Will, Ben and Nicholas) come over to help me "decorate" them. When Ben dumped the entire contents of the green sprinkle sugar on one cookie, I knew it was going to be an interesting afternoon! They had a great time and probably ate as much as they decorated. The good news is when they got all sugared up,  their mom took them home to  wear it off! I'm still scrubbing sugar and frosting off my kitchen floor.  I won't even tell you about our angel food candy making.....

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Jay.  I know you will enjoy it.  Funny about "Media Rate" sometimes called "Book Rate" with the post office.  They tell you it will take  a long time, but it seems to go by regular mail.  Then you pay extra for priority mail and it seems to take forever.

Still recovering a bit here, and coming to grips with the notion that I don't recover from a long race in one day. So again I took Lucy out and did 2 miles, jogging 1.5 and walking .5. Actually, I could easily have run the two but the dog gets tired and comes to a dead stop.  Need to get her in shape.  Spareribs

Slo

I'm not much of a reader. Readers Digest would be good material for me.

Jlynne, it was 45 when i stepped out the door this morning. It'll be 22 when i go to bed tonight. But I hear tell of something called sunshine is on the way.

5.8 of what should have been recovery paced miles. I have a hard time keeping the pace super easy.

Marathon Maniac #957

A 3 minute plank is pretty impressive Mariposai!  

I agree!

No run for me this morning (and it was raining anyway).  Weight training class planned after work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

No running for me either this morning - after the last 2 days I needed a rest.

I was making latkes I realized they qualified for Rib's diet of VB6, although their incredible fat content qualifies them for once a year.

Happy Hanukkah everyone!

marj

3-min plank?  Dang!

Jay - Love the video.  Those guys are so frigging fast!  And the song was perfect.  I need that on my iPOD.

Hang in there, Dave.

6 miles this a.m.  It was crisp, but didn't get chilly until toward the end when the wind picked up.

I listened a Trail Runner Nation podcast this morning in which they talked about the importance of strength training and proper running form, as opposed to just piling on the miles, to be successful at ultra distances.  It was very interesting.  Although, I am a big proponent of ST, I find myself giving it short shrift as the training gets more involved.  The woman they were talking to (and her coach) went from dead lifting 75 lbs to dead lifting 240 lbs.  There was a lot of other ST involved (her coach is a former Marine), but the biggest thing I took out of it was her training miles for Pine 2 Palm, a tough 100-miler, were cut WAY back, but her strength training - and mental training - were full throttle.  She said she could definitely tell the difference in how well she was able to hike up the trails.

They also mentioned the "pose" method of training, and the guys had Nicholas Romanov on who has written about the pose method, but his accent was so thick, I couldn't understand half of what he said.  I have new earphones for my iPOD, so I need to go back and give it another listen to.

Anyway, I really liked today's and will probably listen to portions again when I can take notes and do some research.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

janie b good remember to mail some to Twocat at . . . 

Mike E if you go to janie b good's place get some of the cookies and mail them to . . .

Mariposai just do not plunk to far, it can hurt!

wildchild enjoy Baja!  I suspect you will somehow suffer through the warm weather and lack of snow.  

coastwalker BeeGees?  For real?  Boy am I glad you did not have a full collection of their songs in the van!

Dave59  and Jlynne see what happens when you forget the first rule of running:  No running in the rain!©  You run in the rain you get wet.  You get wet you get cold.  Avoid all of this by following the rule!   See post by  Holly S. for the right way to handle this problem. 

Spareribs my SIL has 6 dogs.  If you need more of a dog running workout just come by my neck of the country and I can arrange it!

Slo_Hand yea, we could use some of  that yellow stuff in the sky around here in CT too. 

mrrun sounds like the latkes turned out quite well.  See shipping address above . . . 

fatozzig FWIW, I picked up a plyometric routine to strengthen my quads.  I think it was a huge help in my last race.  You have a weak area I suspect targeted training can pay pretty good dividends.

I ran yesterday so that meant elliptical for me today.  Actually, yesterday was running and quite a bit more cooking than I had originally intended.  For reasons unknown to me, I decided to make this southwestern style meatball soup again.  It is really good!  Okay, that is why I made it.  But it takes a TON of work!  Last time I made it I said never again due to the amount of work.  But did I listen?  NOOOOO!  It is good though!  Or was!  Just for the record, for those who read the above notes, soup ships badly.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Late in the day and I have to get ready for a Christmas party this evening, so just a short post. After such a good run on Friday, I went and pushed it a bit by trying for a repeat on Saturday. It was not a good run and afterwards my knee seemed to hurt a bit. So I'm going to be extra cautious and might consult with a local PT guy who is/was a top runner and is really good with running-related injuries. I'm pretty sure he can give me some exercises or other treatment.

So taking some more time off running, yesterday I did my weekly spinning class and then today a long session swimming. At least at this time of year I rarely look out the window and feel like I'm missing anything by not running.

Have a good day and rest of the week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks for the ketchup TwoCat and thanks everyone for all the shout outs!!  You guys are the best!!

I set my alarm to get up at something like Jay O'clock - 4am.  Working 3 12 hour days in a row and wanted to get a workout in at least one of them - in the gym at 4:30, 1.2 miles on the treadmill to warm up my legs then leg/glute workout!!  In the baby nurse role and have attended at least 7 birthday parties today - it's a good day!!

Happy Tuesday!!  Happy Hanukkah!!

denise

Dave59

Sitting here waiting for a call from the Dallas office, or maybe the Lubbock office, its Texas so does it make any difference?

I got to pass the time by setting up my new Garmin 910XT that arrived a few minutes ago.  My 410 (which I have never liked much) has been acting up so I have been browsing for something new.  My browsing has gone on for months.  The 910 does too much and costs too much, but the ones that are more geared for just runners have issues I don't like.  Like a short battery life or a wrist strap that can break and isn't replaceable because they are "built in".  So after much justification work, I pulled the trigger on the 910.  I found it for $256, but I have been told I missed some great deals a few weeks ago.

I have it paired up with my computer and Garmin account and it is now charging.  I may strap on my old heart rate monitor, see if I can get that paired and run a mile or so to try it out.

I also saw on Facebook and in the news that my gym is closing for a couple weeks and then reopening under new ownership.  I really love the owners who have been running it for the last 12 years but I think Planet Fitness was too much for them to compete against.  I wish I understood how they (planet fitness) can do so much for $10 a month.  They are worse than Walmart when it comes to running people out of business.

The gym is being taken over by a non-profit (Midland Community Center) and they have many things going on, so it could be a plus for me in the long run. Especially if they honor existing members, because they are expensive and I got my last renewal cheap.  The guy who owned the gym will be in charge of training and other stuff for the whole organization, so his role will be expanding.

Now to go back and get caught up on everyone else.  Could be a while before they call.  I think they are waiting to call in hopes that I will leave and then they can say they tried but I was gone.  Little do they know I work from home and I have a enough food to last a few weeks.  Bwahaha.  I am on to them.  Its an old tactic that I don't even use anymore.

Could be a while before they call.  I think they are waiting to call in hopes that I will leave and then they can say they tried but I was gone.  Little do they know I work from home and I have a enough food to last a few weeks.  Bwahaha.  I am on to them.  Its an old tactic that I don't even use anymore.

2K - One of the interesting things the coach pointed out in the podcast is that people start running without really knowing how to run - i.e., using correct form.  The woman who was on the podcast with him had run four 100 milers before she hired him as a coach, but he made her stop running for 6 weeks to work on (1) form and then (2) strength.  Once she had mastered those, she was allowed to start running again.  She said the difference in her running and how she felt when she ran was absolutely evident.  She did Pine 2 Palm on far fewer training miles than her previous 100's, and two days later was in active recovery by getting back to the gym.  While she was obviously tired, she said she never had the regular "I'm an old person, I can't walk" type of soreness and pain that she has had with previous 100 milers.

I found the whole thing very interesting.  Besides other core/ST, he recommended four basic ST moves: squats, dead lifts, overhead lifts, and I can't think of the third one.  He really emphasized correct form for everything from ST to running.  Made me wish I could afford the gym and an ST trainer!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

2K - One of the interesting things the coach pointed out in the podcast is that people start running without really knowing how to run - i.e., using correct form.

Thanks for this.

It's too late for me and I wouldn't do it anyway (let alone be able to listen to the link on my antiquated dial-up) because I eschew new shoes, coaching, training, gremlins or anything that would be kind of cheating to run faster than I otherwise would, to say nothing of a major source of error, in trying to be able to compare my running over the years but that idea about running form that I personally would have trouble with is so interesting I’ve shared it with the local energizer bunny who, less than three years into her running career, ran the Washington Grand Slam of five centuries this year and already wants to sign up for Western, Hardrock, etc.  Through judicious foot taping for those longer events, she’s found her feet to be strong and persevering for 100 milers on the trails but they were hurting so much after the same Deception Pass 50K wildchild ran, she opined that the softer trails might be masking running form issues that might be exaggerated on the paved roads. We’ll see.
                              ps - Romanov’s pose method is so based on running barefoot mid-foot/fore-foot form that he’s developed his own minimalist running shoes to provide a running barefoot feel.  Same for Danny Dryer’s Chi Running who also advocates running barefoot, especially for stronger, injury-resistant feet, but realizes that it’s not for everyone. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

janie b good

I have plenty of cookies!  c'mon over!

unplanned rest day for me.  heading to FL tomorrow for 5 days.  running gear packed Wink.  see y'all next Monday!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.