Masters Running

Fri Jan 2 Runs and etc (Read 500 times)

Good morning, all! Today is back to work for many of us -- tough on a Friday, so I took PTO Smile . PDR did have to go in for half a day, so got up at a "normal" hour and went in early. We'll be flying to Austin to visit with my son for the weekend, flight leaving here around 3. I have a few errands to do, and I have yet to pack so I had better get moving. Just finished a little recovery run -- standard Friday fare for me these days (I almost typed Monday -- I've been off work since Christmas and am a little confused about the days). 3.1 miles, 28:51, 9:11/mi, AHR 135 Have a great day today, and a great weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Lou. Enjoy the visit with your DS. DW and I got an unexpected early morning wake-up as our Alarm System went off (loudly) at 2:00 AM. It looks to be a fluke as everything was still shut and locked down tight. But it was a little unnerving. Anyway, later got up at the "normal" time and ran 8.5 miles at 8:45 min/mile pace. IRC. Avg HR 140 or so. We're going to start off the New year right tonight by going to see Avenue Q. I saw it in New York and can't wait to see it again. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Back to work for me too.......Sad After taking a month off I was back in the pool this week. Aw the smell of chlorine as I sit here and type. Kinda missed that frazzled burnt out hair look too. It's been a great week of running. I have been feeling remarkably strong even in the face of cranking up my mileage. I keep waiting for that day were I have to trudge thru a four miler or I can't pull myself out of bed......maybe a strange pain behind the knee but so far nothing indicating that I'm over doing it. (I must be eating right) Big grin Tonight I'll get a good 6 miler in. Plan calls for a 2 mile easy, 2 mile at half mary race pace, and 2 mile easy. I love these runs. Esp the last two miles........reasons for which I just don't know. Wishing all of you a Fantastic 2009 !

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, 10.21 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace...nice weather here today 34 & cloudy....looking forward to getting back to normal after the holidays. Like Lou, I have been having trouble remembering what day it is. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good Morning - Unfortunately, wide awake at about 3:45. Undecided Am waiting for the sun to rise to get my workout in since I don't have to work today. Not sure if I can run yet. The front of the ankle still feels fairly tweaked. Am resigning myself to yet another 30 minutes of the stationary bike. yeah . . . plus an hour of strength training. Safe travel for you Beers and PDR. Watched a show on HBOZN called "Breaking" that is sort of a documentary on the integration of African-Americans in college football. Well worth watching if you get the channel.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Nice running this morning and yesterday. But Tet wins my "Cool New Year's Day Run" award. Scheduled for 7 today but ended up with just 5 @ 8:19. No sproink, my head wasn't in it, and the wind really picked up big time.

Be safe. Be kind.

anachrotech

Morning all. First real sproinky run in a long time - 2 miles. Shoes seem good but I've resigned myself to the fact I do need Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I cut this out about three weeks ago to save money but my knees are starting to scream instead of just being cranky. Good runs all.
                Slo

anachrotech Have you tried Fish Oil. It acts as an anti-inflammatory. Not quite the same as Glucosamine/Chondroitin but much less expensive.
                  dg.

good morning! Have a nice trip Lou. nice you get to see your DS. Bill.. I'm glad you could go back to sleep. SLO_HAND,
                    so far nothing indicating that I'm over doing it. (I must be eating right)
                    . what are you eating? good luck with your knee. Leslie.. sorry about your ankle. anachrotech, glad you found your sproink. re glucosamine/chondroitin, I've done the same thing w/the same results. since yesterday was a little tough I thought I'd do another recovery run this morning. better than last time, anyway. 4:13 miles, av. pace 10:27, max 9:23. ahr 162, max 177. miles 10:53, 10:24, 10:28, 9:48. Then I did one stride.. max pace was 5:58. That's probably not part of an ideal recovery run, is it. I am weak willed. I'll do better next time, it hurt when I did it. dummy. then 25 min. on the recumbent bike, & 30 min. of assorted weight machines, free weights, & stab. ball things. What about biking or something like that after a recovery run. does that defeat the purpose?

Renee the dog

Morning -- rest day for me! Just vacuuming and sucking up Christmas gifts into our regular life. Meg -- you asked a couple days ago how I started running. Well, my friend gave me a baby jogger when I became a Mom, and I thought she was nuts. Smile Just about 3 years later, who's the nut? I was always involved in sports: swimming, sailing, skiing, volleyball, tennis, golf...and did run here and there, but never with a plan and never to race. I think racing is what finally hooked me to running. I LOVE the competition, the camaraderie. I guess all those years of competitive swimming as a kid made an impression on me. BTW, that friend still babysits for me so I can race or goes with me to races to cheer me on whenever she can. She's not a runner. Yet.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

dg, there should be nothing about the recovery run that "hurts." Runners who do a great deal of mileage and are very fit often include strides toward the end of a recovery run, but you needn't do this now. 2-3 miles slow is about right for you for a recovery run. Now the good news is that after your run, if you want to swim or work on the bike, that would be great exercise for you. Just think about a slightly elevated HR on your recovery runs, not a great deal of physical stress. Day off for me, first since December 8th. Going to give this sore muscle a chance to recover. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Just vacuuming and sucking up Christmas gifts into our regular life.
                          I know EXACTLY what you mean...Smile Back to work again, although I’m leaving early today to accompany DH on a doctor visit. He may be having surgery on his knee, and wants me there to hear what the doctor says. The blister that formed under the cuticle of my 2nd toenail last weekend appears to be mildly infected, with the toe pink and swollen. I’m limping and wearing Adidas sandals, big wuss that I am. I’m planning on giving my foot an Epsom salt soak later, to see if that helps. I’m not really concerned about it yet. I went through this with the same toe the week after Boston, and just when I was going to make a doctor appointment, it resolved itself, so hopefully it will again. This toe has a habit of losing its toenail after runs of 20 miles or more. My shoes have plenty of space at the end, but I think I hit the upper part of the shoe. This of course made today’s run somewhat difficult, but after the first painful, limping half-mile, it deadened to a mild annoyance. Tomorrow’s LR may be more of a problem, and I have way too many calories to burn off to just let it go... 7.15 slow-paced miles (ave 10:51). ETA - I just figured out how to find my total miles for the last 3 years on the log here, and found that, even with time off for injury, I ran 2270.2 miles in 2008, about 69 miles more than in 2007, and an annual mileage PR for me. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

dg Thanks for the concern re: my knee.....but I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong. I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop from my mileage increase. for the last year or better I've had a hard time averaging much more than 25 miles. Now in the last 3 weeks I've been getting 40's with out much of a ramp up. As far as eating......I try to take my diet serious. Lean protiens, fruits and veggies and I swear by spinach.
                            Tramps

Oops, I keep forgetting to post my inspirational New Year's message for all the morning runners. (And, yes, I know that if the sun is up it's not early for some of you!)

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

early?? The sun's already up Smile (right PDR?) I had planned on a 14 mile route that involves getting out at 4:30 to beat traffic but I decided to sleep til 6:30 and take a bit longer daytime route (15 mi). But then Tory gave me that look so 2 miles with him first. Ended up running 17 miles of hills in 2:32:13 (8:57 pace, AHR 150). Nice 33F with sprinkles.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova