Masters Running

And now it's Thursday, 11.5.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It seems that most of you (TW, Dave, Aamos, Jlynne, Wildchild, Moebo, Mariposai,  are taking advantage of the great weather to get out for good runs, walks etc. Excellent! Sorry about the snow, WC.

My sympathies to those still suffering with PRCC (post-race stair challenges). But you know that will pass, and the glow from the races will linger.

Aamos & Jlynne - The Tattered Cover is a gem, and one of fewer and fewer surviving and thriving bookstores.

Twocat, I'm glad for you for the deciduous/deciduous swap at the construction project. As you said, it rarely goes that way.

I'm glad you enjoyed the bribe-free dinner, Steve.

Today I have to finalize the roster for Sunday's half and start printing the sheets for packet pick-ups. I also have to pick up some banners we've had printed, and answer yet more emails from people still trying to get into the race (which sold out in September). Last night, I sent our our final email blast to all the racers. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my checklist for this week, and am beginning to calm down a bit.

After she beat me up on Tuesday evening, I'm under orders from my massage therapist (who is a runner, and who also works part-time in our office [doing different work there]) to not do any serious walking for at least a week to give my glute/hamstring time to heal. DW told our niece that the next week are not going to pleasant around here...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

moebo what is Google Classroom? I, wait for it, yes Googled it. Reading Google's description it looks sort of like a fancy file sharing service with comments. Teach posts assignments, students turn them in, teacher can make comments on the assignment. Does it do much more than that?

coastwalker heal up!

SteveP all that news about your dinner out and not a word about what you ordered or what you thought about it! Fess up!

Ran 8 this morning. Kind of a cloudy damp morning. The weather seems to have scared away the zombies for today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay, don't feed the monkeys.  The race sold out in September.  You don't need to email people to tell them what they know.    And get better quickly; sleep is important!  ---

Got that stumps??  (owie!)

twocat is running, good.  Just 6 for me this am.

Yeah, Steve, whajja get at the fancy place?

Our weather headlines: "Hot Again."  O well, it's staying below 90.  The humidity?  Yeah, it's real good for your skin.

Have a wonderful Thursday.  Today is the anniversary of the first time Susan B. Anthony voted, in 1872.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Today is the anniversary of the first time Susan B. Anthony voted, in 1872.

grins,

A

...ok,

I gots'ta know, Who'd she vote for??

she HAD to tell somebody

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I've had so much work lately that I haven't been able to race much. On Sunday the Dallas Running Club put on a Half and a 5k, so the Saint and I did the 5K, as I was in no condition to do the Half. First time we've ever run the 5K.  We both came in 2nd AG and then I left for San Antonio to work for 3 days. I didn't run a step there.  Now I'm home and we went out and jogged/walked 3, so that's a start.

I have no more travel in 2015 and that means in a week or so I'll be back to 30-35 mile weeks through year end.

My UT freshman son in the business school is friends with another guy who is an economics major.  One night they were talking about some problem or other and concluded there "ought to be an app for that" so they thought it through in their head and went to a business professor, who then introduced them to an incubator company in Austin.  They now have office space there for free, and have taken on a coder and given him a 20% stake.  So they're getting professional mentoring and help and expect to have the app ready to market by year end.

He won't make any money off this thing, but the experience of launching a business as a freshman in school will be valuable experience for him and I am of course proud, which is why I'm posting about it.

Rain started this morning. Wish I had an app for an ark.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

He won't make any money off this thing

Huh? Not even 40% that would seem to be his share as happened to my friend's son much to the advantage of his parent's early retirement about 15 years ago?

this morning's five mile walk commute was going so well as to almost seem that it might be okay to start running a little , . . .until I tried tol.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay, don't feed the monkeys.  The race sold out in September.  You don't need to email people to tell them what they know.    And get better quickly; sleep is important!  ---

+1

Ribs - that is one smart boy!  Very cool!

No run for me (again) - just 25 or 30 minutes on the bike trainer this morning (didn't pay attention to the time).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Ribs, that is a very impressive kid! What a great experience for him

Twocat, I am new to Google Classroom and am just figuring it out. It's worth it because the kids are happy to do the work when it's posted on line--they can use their phones in class! It's changing all the time because Google keeps adding features, but you're right about the basic function. What I like to use it for is to post announcements (like upcoming due dates), attachments to notes or practice exercises, and links to useful websites (Quizlet for vocab flashcards and games, videos for listening practice, etc.) and questions that students have to answer in class or for homework (kind of a classroom blog).

Today I tried doing a fancy lesson plan where I had groups write questions about a text and post them to the class page, and then I used the questions to make a Google Form for students to fill out...The answers come onto my Google Drive in the form of a Google Sheet. But I just checked one of my class response files and it seems I did something wrong--I can't figure out which kids wrote the answers! Hopefully one of the kids will be able to tell me where I went wrong...

Okay, that was definitely more details about my job than anybody needs to read. Sorry!

4 miles for me this morning, mid-50s, felt even warmer. I am really loving this weather.

Mariposai

What a great news about Spareribs son. Watch out world!.

It is sooo very good to see Twocat running again.

Today was day 2 of a 5 days webinar series that is teaching me about my roles as the Executive Director of a Housing Authority.  The training is excellent and I am learning a lot. It was a great day, I even had a chance to have a lunch date with a friend and later in the afternoon I was able to fit in 8 gorgeous smile miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

SteveP all that news about your dinner out and not a word about what you ordered or what you thought about it! Fess up!

We shared these over rated onion rings called calamari. It was good, but kinda chewy.And some spinach dip some kind of chips or crackers. I'm not sure which. What's wrong with having pictures of food on the menu?There were people hovering around who grabbed and replaced our silverware as soon as we were done. The last time I was at a joint like that, my main course came. The servers took all of my silverware and left me with chop sticks. I hid one of my forks in my napkin.I wasn't sneaky enough. One fella offered to take it. I looked him in the eyes and told him that if he took it, I'd bite him. "Boom" boundaries established. I reluctantly put it back on the table. What's so wrong with having butter with bread instead of different colored oils on a plate that everyone has to pass around? I'm sure our dog would have liked it.

It was a real struggle not to check to see how much gum was stuck under the table. When I excused myself to use the restroom, DW cautioned me not to do anything stoopid. When I got back, I still had all of my silverware.

The main course came. I had something I had pointed to on the menu. Why don't menus have pronunciation aids?  How in the world would the average person be able to tell if it was screwed up. Shouldn't there have been place mats? My meal consisted of chunks of sausage in some damn roundy slippery noodles covered in too much sauce. (This probably wasn't a good time to discuss my hemroid surgery). It wasn't a double bacon double cheese double burger, but it was OK.  Avenger Doggie would have really liked it. The damn noodles kept falling off of both a fork and a spoon, so I was doomed to look like a back woods hick regardless of the utensil. The stuff that fell onto the table from the bowl/plate, I just picked up with my fingers and ate. Is it OK to wipe your hands on your pants in a place like that?  I hope there wasn't going to be bruises on my shins from DW kicking me under the table all the time.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - That doesn't exactly sound delicious...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Steve - That doesn't exactly sound delicious...

It was the only thing on the menu where I understood the description.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I admit that I always ask for butter, rather than the dipping oils - just not a fan.