Masters Running

Tuesday Feb 17 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 519 times)

If it's Tuesday it must be Intervals day. 7.25 miles with a Ladder Down workout in the middle. 200 meter Rest Interval between each: A bit slow on the 1st, but good on the rest of them. If anyone is up for a last minute weekend trip to the sun, the A1A Marathon is Sunday and the weather is looking to be Ideal for running. Everyone have a good day and a great run. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

I bet I could run those times if I were running with Nono. But instead I am headed out for a slow 5. Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice job Byll..excellent control. Those kind of workouts look fun. 9.2 mile in 1:15:42 (8:14pace, AHR 150) including 4 mi Tempo at 7:20 pace. a Brrr 24°

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Mornin Gents A very easy 3.8 last night.....new route, very refreshing. Hit the gym this morning for a solid core and back workout. I'm on the fence for tonights run. Either intervals at near race pace or a 5 -7 easy run.

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, ,<start>Well we've got some major road construction work in my neighborhood and my regular loop has been completely disrupted..couldn't they wait until AFTER Boston to start the project??? I don't like changes in my routine...grrr Angry One of our dams is being repaired to State specifications, it's a very costly project and we all had to pay our share of the expenses since it's a private neighborhood. OK, now that I've got that off my chest... Smile 10.21 miles of hills @ 9:14 pace...a chilly 23F but sunny. Good runs to all today!</start>

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning! Nice workout Byll!! Last night I did 30 minutes on the stability ball ..... well I did kind of fell off of it a few times .... it has been a while since I did that workout! Then 1.5 miles at a slow pace on the treadmill. Nothing yet today. Did not get the greatest night sleep, so I skipped the pre-dawn run. I'll get something in later - just not sure what yet or when. Still trying to wake up. Happy 2s'-Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good morning! Nice workout Byll!! Last night I did 30 minutes on the stability ball ..... well I did kind of fell off of it a few times .... it has been a while since I did that workout! Then 1.5 miles at a slow pace on the treadmill. Nothing yet today. Did not get the greatest night sleep, so I skipped the pre-dawn run. I'll get something in later - just not sure what yet or when. Still trying to wake up. Happy 2s'-Day!!
                I love my stability ball ! This morning I was doing an exercise where your upper back (shoulder blades) are on the ball. Your hips are kept parallel to the floor while you alternate lifting one leg off the floor hand hold it for 5 - 10 secs. it fires all kinds of stabilizing muscles, hits the abs and the glutes. Takes a few trys before your stabilizers are strong enough to keep your balance.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

...Well we've got some major road construction work in my neighborhood and my regular loop has been completely disrupted..couldn't they wait until AFTER Boston to start the project??? I don't like changes in my routine...grrr ...
                  Strange coincidence.. I noticed yesterday that my favorite 13 mile loop is now closed for a bridge repair...I'm bummed too! That was my staple mid week m-LR.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

No construction close to us (yet). There are some ominous signs on the semi-main road just outside our neighborhood, all taped up so you can't see them yet... Bill - well done! Mary - sounds like you worked out on the instability ball. 6.0 miles (Holly, take note -- no .1 Smile), 55:20, 9:09/mi, AHR 133 (67% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet – underwear in a vending machine? Big grin Bill - that looks like fun, if I could figure out how to do it, and what paces to choose as targets. WRFB – very nice round number. Smile Back in the cold again today - 19° when I headed out. I know, I know, that’s not REALLY that cold, it’s just that I am so tired of it at this point in the winter. I literally turned back 4 times in indecision, going round the block several times before finally heading back home for some intervals in the TM, where I can wear shorts, watch another episode of Doctor Who, and yes, I actually find these intervals fun. 2.42 mile WU outside, followed by this on the TM: (5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph) x 4 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 1 mile CD 8 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

wow Holly, you find these intervals fun!!!!!!!!!! when I read those speed I can not relate them at all to fun.... yeap, in most foreign countries vending machines are used for more useful things than pop and junk food. 6 miles at 5am. Since I was in a perfectly measured route I did not need to worry about my garmin, allowing me to drink on the serenity around me. I tried to land my feet very softly as to not wake up the moon and the stars. Funny how my landing can sound like a ton of bricks in the quietness of dawn. Tammy, how are you enjoying your new garmina? I thought of you this morning when I put mine on and then decided to just go out without it. aamos, it is so good to see you here!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning everyone. It's a balmy 30° here and they're predicting another snowstorm for tonight/tomorrow. After my fall on Sunday, I decided I needed to get back out there (kind of like the falling off the horse theory) so I put my splint on - just in case - and headed out for 7 miles, 9:51 pace. Like Holly, I'm totally sick of winter and it can't end soon enough. They say there's two seasons in Wisconsin: winter, and road construction. I passed water utility crews working on broken water mains in two separate locations, and the potholes are so big in some spots you could drive a truck in them (well, okay - maybe just a VW Bug). Nice intervals this morning, Breger. Are you running the A1A marathon this weekend? Mary - do you have a website that you got your stability ball exercises from? I use the one at the Y but I've been thinking about buying one for home.
                            Jlynne asked: "Breger. Are you running the A1A marathon this weekend?"
                            Yes and no. I'll be running the A1A Full as a 20 mile training run - stepping off the course at that point. (Assuming I can figure out how to get back to my car that will be 6.2 miles away.) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary - do you have a website that you got your stability ball exercises from? I use the one at the Y but I've been thinking about buying one for home.
                              This is the DVD that I use JLynne. I like it because it is broken into three 10 minute segments working your upper body, lower body and abs, so if I don't have time for the whole thing I can pick a section. http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fix-Stability-Ball-Workout/dp/B001CDFXRO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234885749&sr=8-8 Like Holly and JLynne - I am SO sick of this cold weather and we are getting another snow storm and high winds starting tonight. I'm crying "uncle!".

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I have run in my long underwear outside but somehow I'm thinking that doesn't quite count. I never knew you could buy underwear from a vending machine. How very useful that would be for those times when you forget to take an extra pair to the gym. . . Where is Timbo anyway. One would think that all this talk of underwear would flush him out. I hope that his foot / AT is okay. Nice intervals today for Bill and Holly. I ran 8 miles with 4 of them at a 1:1 fartlek (guess these could sort of qualify as intervals). I am not sure on the pace, but probably too fast for the first fartlek mile as that one came out at under 6:50. Total time was 58:32 so a 7:19 pace - not quite a PBJ Special but close.

Once a runner . . .