Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 8.10.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I also like that quote, Tslebes. Perspective is a good thing.

Mariposai, anyone who can go out and run 18 miles is definitely no out of shape, even for long-distance running. Sounds like a good follow-up to Friday night's little date.

Mike, no strategy is a dumb strategy if it works. Excellent racing in yesterday's 10K! Nice 14.5 mi. cool down. Congrats on 'fixing' the car too...

Sorry about the skunk, WC.

Is there a Mexico meet-up in the making??

Right you are, Ribs - keep looking forward, not backward. We can't change what is behind us, but we do have a bit of a say in what is ahead of us. Keeping on keeping on is the right approach, just like what that 80+ guy in D/FW is doing.

Great job on the 6.76er, Twocat!

I'm glad you got outside for a beautiful bike ride, Henrun. Keep up the good work.

Similar to what Ribs said, Tet, this IS what it is all about:  "Nevertheless, in addition to seeing river otters, herons and rabbits, got to have a good time with the old fun and fitness gang (four septuagenarians and one 84-yo) who don’t let a clock tell us what a good time is anymore."

Good for you for getting the tough work done, Leslie! I'm sure we all know what you mean about the not very relaxing weekends.

So sorry about the rain record, Evanflein.

I prepped for today's race by mowing the lawn yesterday and doing some transplanting to create a new hosta garden. I got up at the usual time this morning, read for a bit, showered and had breakfast. DW is coming with me today, so I got her up a little later, and she is showering now. We'll be leaving in about 30 minutes for the hour trip to Gloucester, MA. DW and another racer's wife are coming to help with lap counting at the one-hour race. After the race, the 4 of us are going to play in Gloucester for a while and have lunch there before heading back to NH in the afternoon.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Have a good race Jay. Good for your DW to be a lap counter. A new hosta garden?  Lucky you! I really like hostas, but it is so dry around here and they don't do well.

MikeE, how does it feel today after your age win yesterday?

Tselbes, that is a good quote to remember as we age.

Great to see you speeding up a little, twocat .

Tetsujin, when are we going to see pictures of you and your grandson in Alaska?

Erika, I sure like that picture of you and your cat on your deck.

Holly, how did the dinner with the surgeon go last night?

Speaking of aging, today our oldest son turns 26. He is in Macedonia celebrating his day with his host family. I will make a cake for him and celebrate him in the distance tonight. 29 years ago today I walked to the altar to say yes to the Easy Pacer. Today we ran 4 miles together to kick off our anniversary celebration.

Let all that you do be done in love!

Carpe diem my friends

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Have a great race!

Mariposai - Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday to your DS!

We had a lovely time golfing and then having dinner with DH's high school friend, and he was extremely nice, quite humble, really, which surprised me somehow.  I guess surgeons have a reputation for being arrogant (or so I have heard), and this man was anything but that.  He and his wife life in Honolulu, and he invited us to come out for the Honolulu Marathon.  Hmmmm....

7.4 recovery paced miles for me this morning in 72 degrees.

Did you know that today will be a "supermoon" - the largest full moon of 2014?  Coming to a sky near you.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Congrats to Mike and SubDood on some great racing.

Hope Jay's race went well.

Mari--congrats on your anniversary

Holly--a friend in Hawaii is a friend indeed.

EZ 17 for me.  There's a nap in my future.

Be safe. Be kind.

Holly--a friend in Hawaii is a friend indeed.

...true dat//.......also friends with boats..........

=================

........60-min bikeride on my little hill.......7-gears up 7-gears down........

................good running guys..............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Nice prep work Jay.

Holly - do Honolulu. I ran it when I lived there many moons ago and it was a super experience.

Nice run Tramps and ride TW.

I just ran some recovery miles today. Still need to finish my fire project.

Cheers

Oh yeah and sub 40 in 10k rocks. Well done Mike.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Happy anniversary Mariposai. Say hi to your husband from me.

Well done Mike E.

Twocat, I haven't told her yet. The hard part will be telling her I'm going to Mexico with Holly.

So proud of the future divorcee today! Her first 10-miler, and she told me in the car on the way home that she could have done more.  Easy does it I say.

Regarding Tet's eloquent post, (never thought I would say that about Tet), I recall in 1980 I was trying to break 3 hours and a buddy of mine and I ran the Skylon Marathon, Buffalo to Niagara Falls.  Well, I ran a 3:01, which was a disappointment of course, but the next morning we got up very early to do a short recover run, then get on the road to drive home. As we finished the run, we sat on a stone wall and watched the sunrise over the Falls.  All the disappointment from yesterday went away, and as Jay said, that is why we do this.

EK, new AG yes, but you seem to me to be getting faster.

Ran 11 miles, my longest since coming back, 10:19 pace at the Lake.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy ‘versary and birthday to the butterflies all over the world.
                  Mike - I was wondering who in the world is fast in everything and I think it is you.
                  Paavo Nurmi - 1,500/3,000/5,000/10,000/marathon
                  Flying Mike - 100/800/1,500/5,000/10,000/half and full marathon/ultra
                  My legs are still burning and my feet on fire from yesterday's hot pavements
                  but, more-and-more, sometimes the best part of running is after it.
                  Tselbs, do the Crim. 
                  Even if it's hot and you aren't ready for it, it's a memory. 
                  They're good to have.
                  Times mean nothing. 
                  We all ran our fast times years ago.
                  Nothing will ever take them away.
                  A 12 minute mile is just as long as a 6 minute mile.
                  For an old guy who is slowing more and more, this made me feel good.

I ran a 3:01, which was a disappointment of course,

but the next morning we got up very early . . . watched the sunrise over the Falls. 
                  All the disappointment from yesterday went away, and as Jay said, that is why we do this.

got to have a good time with the old fun and fitness gang 

who don’t let a clock tell us what a good time is anymore. 
                  .always remember that, like tomwhite, we are out there.

Often I see people posting about their fast times at the 5K or other distance
                  when they're kids in their 50's, but they all seem to disappear here in their 60's.
                  Just keep on keeping on.

keep looking forward, not backward.

We can't change what is behind us,
                  But we do have a bit of a say in what is ahead of us. 

Tetsujin, when are we going to see pictures of you and your grandson in Alaska?

posie - you mean those pictures with 5-yo GS I already miss so much together at Hopeful Falls by the glacier, finishing the marathon together, showing me his rendition of how old people walk when they think they are running, and with the fish, eagles, bears, whales, swimming, leaches (don’t tell mommy), the two mile hike the day after he vowed never to go hiking with me again, loudly announcing to everyone in the store, “good job papo,” when I found what his mother (DD) wanted us to buy, et al.  I appreciate that and will do.

ps holly - thanks for the supermoon reminder.

This calls for another moonrise swim here-and-there and everywhere

splashing in the shimmering moonlight.

hope you and others can too.

<<<(WaldenPond/WaldenPond)>>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat, I haven't told her yet. The hard part will be telling her I'm going to Mexico with Holly.

Tet - grandson pics would be appreciated!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy anniversary Mariposai, and happy birthday to your wonderful DS.  A great day to celebrate indeed!

Congrats on the awesome racing Mike.

A Hawaii marathon? Another state to scratch off your list, Holly

The Saint is running so well Ribs. You must be very proud of her progress! And nice long run for you as well today.

Hi Jay, hi Tramps, hi Norm!

Tet - your post really struck home with me today. I've been feeling down lately. Missing my sister so much, bemoaning the fact that my times and mileage are not what they used to be.....  Having just turned 62, I know that things won't improve. I'm trying hard to look forward and not back and enjoy the gifts that I have. I'm healthy, I have a wonderful family and five awesome grandkids, and I do feel blessed.  Some days are just hard.  Thank you for reminding me that "we do have a bit of a say in what is ahead of us."

8 miles this morning in glorious weather, then a five mile bike ride and a 45 minute grass cutting session.  DH and I are headed out for 18 holes of golf now.

Have a wonderful Sunday friends.

Wow, did you all see that!  Holly S. and Spareribs are running away together to live in Hawaii!  Well, first flying.  You cannot actually run to Hawaii.

tetsujin209 wonderful view of the world you have.  Too many people forget running is just a hobby.  We should enjoy it.

Mariposai happy anniversary.  But, is that right you running off to Macedonia to be with some 26 year old guy!   Poor Easy Pacer.  

I fear I got nothing new to report.  This morning's excitement was a transformer in the area that blew and left us without power for about 2 hours.  Somehow we survived.  Other than that it was an hour on the elliptical for me.  In cooking news, I found this great recipe for Lebanese Style Stuffed Eggplant on Epicurious.  If you decide to make it read the reviews first which all say the recipe as written is rather bland.  I did what some suggested and added 2 teaspoons of toasted and then ground cumin.  Plus I tossed in about 2 tablespoons of fresh lightly chopped oregano and thyme.  As others suggested I also tossed the eggplant guts in as part of the sauce.  It turned out to be quite tasty.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

Happy anniversary to Mariposai and Easy Pacer and happy birthday to your oldest.

The nest is empty again.  Everyone is gone and back home in their respective states of Florida & Illinois.

I took the day off running, but I did cut the grass after church.  I ruined the neighborhood's peaceful Sunday afternoon with the obnoxious mower.  I did it to get some sun and to move around it a bit.

Want to hear something weird.  My gas can was gone so I had to go buy a new one and get some gas for the mower.  The can has been in the same spot for the 13 years we lived here and it still had gas in it, so unless I had the biggest "senior moment" of my life (so far) and did who knows what with it, I think someone took it.  I accidentally left the garage door open one day this week and it seem like there was some stuff disrupted the next morning, but the GPS was still in the car and I couldn't see anything missing, so I assume a raccoon or some other animal was looking around.  But I doubt a raccoon would take a gas can?  I don't see anything else missing from the garage.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - maybe you better get that gun afterall.

Jeanne - me too as so much of yesterday’s and recent wisdom helped turn what could otherwise have been one of the worst marathons of my whole life (7hr/45min) into one of the best, especially Ribs’ memories idea to TSELBS (about the CRIM). <<<(he-has-to-do-it-now)>>>

After putting ‘em all together for my benefit, albeit changing Tom's 12m/m to my 15m/m,

I wanted to share. Glad it worked.  However, here they are with proper credit.

Please add more.  We need all the support we can get. .

SPARERIBS
                            Tselbs, do the Crim. 
                            Even if it's hot and you aren't ready for it, it's a memory. 
                            They're good to have.
                            SPARERIBS
                            Times mean nothing. 
                            We all ran our fast times years ago.
                            Nothing will ever take them away.
                            TSELBS
                            A 12 minute mile is just as long as a 6 minute mile.
                            For an old guy who is slowing more and more, this made me feel good.
                            SPARERIBS
                            I ran a 3:01, which was a disappointment of course,
                            but the next morning we got up very early . . . watched the sunrise over the Falls. 
                            All the disappointment from yesterday went away, and as Jay said, that is why we do this.
                            TETSUJIN
                            got to have a good time with the old fun and fitness gang 
                            who don’t let a clock tell us what a good time is anymore.
                            SPARERIBS
                            always remember that, like tomwhite, we are out there.
                            Often I see people posting about their fast times at the 5K or other distance
                            when they're kids in their 50's, but they all seem to disappear here in their 60's.
                            Just keep on keeping on.
                            COASTWALKER
                            keep looking forward, not backward.
                            We can't change what is behind us,
                            But we do have a bit of a say in what is ahead of us.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

''we all ran our Fast Times years ago''.............

well put tet

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

''we all ran our Fast Times years ago''.............

Of course, there's those of us who didn't have any fast times even then.

just call me "sub-8 Tet," and that's not m/m.