Masters Running

Seriously? A West Coast Thursday Start? (Read 34 times)

[place holder]

Whew!  It's 8:45 here in NorCal.  Wakey, wakey!!

I think it would be ridiculous to say HAVE FUN to the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club, 'cause it goes without saying, but . . . .HAVE FUNNNNN!!!!

Wildchild - Maybe a couple more days of rest, my friend.

I got in 45 min of stat biking this a.m. with 3 x 2 min hard, sweating like a pig the whole time.  Felt really good.

We got more rain last night and this morning - yay!  I haven't checked south of us to see how far it went, but praying they got it.  Shorty told me this morning he heard on the news that when the Valley Fire was at its worst, it was consuming 36 football fields worth of land a minute. So far 73,700 acres in 5 days.  Absolutely astonishing.

{{{Holly}}} Melancholy day here, so you're in my thoughts.

Have a good one, friends ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Taking a little rest break after picking up Enke and a little touring around Boston so thought I'd pop in and say HI!!

So fun to pick up a friend and show her around the city some!! Amy we did my walk from Fenway to the Boston Common and took you with us in spirit!! Robin - I showed her where the infamous Boston Marathon RA meet-ups are held at the Lir and we ate at the local Pour House!!

Marj and Henry - we drove along Storrow Drive and talked about your lovely runs there!! Jay - we looked for you at the airport but we must have crossed paths - see you soon!!

Yesterday went into the city early and ran 4.5 miles with .5 mile pickups x 4, then did an easy 1 mile jog with my work backpack from the garage to the hospital -- I usually walk that mile but wanted to see how it felt with my full backpack .....meh. I could do it for an easy pace but never if I wanted to pick up at all.

Looking forward to meeting up with the rest of the Rosie Ruiz team later at Jay's!! We'll miss you this year Kevin and Robin!!

((Holly))

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Taking a little rest break after picking up Enke and a little touring around Boston so thought I'd pop in and say HI!!

I suppose you're tired out from all of her talk about Mr Blue Eyes.  I'm sure she mentioned that he's tall.

Okay...seriously, now...that sounds like so much fun for the two of you.  I'm sure you'll all have a great time.  Please post often....and add some pictures!!!

...fatozzig//...I had the same problem with them tuesday..

==============

3x20-min walks

had my 4th PT...they added the Side Step-Ups which I wanted

and

threw in the ''Balance on One Leg'' exercise which I didn't see coming

...good running to ya..........Best Wishes to the Rosies

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

<Waving to deez and enke and rest of the team!  I would have LOVED to have been there; thanks so much for thinking of me!   Seven months and I'll be back, save me a walk, please.  And I would have loved to have heard all the Mr. BE talk, plus pumped for more details.

And what Leslie said: "I think it would be ridiculous to say HAVE FUN to the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club, 'cause it goes without saying, but . . . .HAVE FUNNNNN!!!!"

Sayhey Mike E, what's you goal for MCM?

Here's a plus of a double day  (ran 10K this am and will go out with Speedsters tonight, mayhaps the bridge): went out with a friend for Thai food and got a dish that had noodles AND brown rice, yum!   Since it was lunch, we got soup, too.  I'm ready to run run run!

*********PAD WOONSEN - Bean thread clear noodle stir-fried with napa, onion, scallion, carrot mushroom and egg.**************

So waiting for the Black Mass movie review, marj and henrun.......

Sayhey stumps, did you eschew the debates for another station last night?    We did!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Nice 10 miler, ribs.

This morning, it was in the high 50s and there was a light wind.  I did 7 miles at an 11:13 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Though sometimes sorry and sad, it’s somehow strangely reassuring, and frequently inspiring, to be connected so closely in a very personal way to so much of everyone’s same kinds of daily joys and travails all around the country. We’re not alone after all. Glad to be looking forward to the excitement of this weekend’s run-to-the-beach festivities, though. However, wish you could make the posie’s stop by on the way back.
                After Mother Nature’s wake up call last week at 3:00 a.m. in Tokyo with the hotel room shaking and flickering lights in surrounding high rises and hotels vibrating like the last stages of tuning fork or something and then yesterday’s (note to tw: that would be today for you) Shinkansen bullet train to get to some fishy business at the center of the destruction from the Great Tsunami of 2011 by the local train that just started running again after four years, got awakened again at 3:00 a.m., this time with a hotel announcement to all the rooms that a one-meter tsunami was expected at 6:00 a.m. from the recent earthquake in Chile. Whew, learning Japanese was worth it, after all. I guess it’s coming through Hawaii too.
                There goes this morning’s (note to tw, . . . oh, forget it) meet-up with contacts at the beautiful new fish market on the same site of so many delightful memories, friends, and culinary treats from the old one now long gone. It’s been postponed for tomorrow morning, . . . thereby also thwarting plans to be running one of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club’s weekly 42.195K runs around the Imperial Palaces with MikeMP. We should have a couple more chances though. I hope so.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Greetings from Macedonia.  Our trip has been filled with joy, laughter,  visiting ancient sites and eating way too much.

Our Internet connection is not the greatest , but I have been able to post some pictures on Facebook.

Running here has been nearly impossible.  I broke all protocols today and went running,  about 3 miles in the neighborhood.  It felt so good.

Ride Rosie Ruiz Fan Club team...ride!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Hi Mariposai! Have fun Relay Team (yeah, I know... totally unnecessary)!

Stay safe, Tetsujin! Watch out for waves!

Nice progression in the PT, tomwhite. You're making good progress.

So... this is kinda depressing! E-mail from the Equinox organizers this morning:

Weather Forecast Predicts Temperatures in the 30's for Saturday morning, with a chance of snow on top of Ester Dome Friday night and Saturday.  Rain showers are likely all day.  

The safety of runners is our biggest concern, so please plan ahead and dress appropriately for the weather.   Here are the race director's recommendations 
                    1.  Non Cotton Clothing 
                    2.  Long running tights or pants 
                    3.  Layers:  Long Sleeve running shirts, running jacket 
                    4.  Running Hats (cover those ears) and running gloves. 
                    5.  WEAR YOUR BIB ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR CLOTHING (IN FRONT) 
                    6.  Clothes that you want to remove can be left at any of the feed stations or  
                          exchange zones.  They will be return to the starting area by 6pm

RELAY RUNNER #2 and #3 
                     Goldstream Sports will be open, so #2 relay runners can stay warm before they start running.  Exchange Zone #2 will have camping tents available to wait in for relay runners #3.
                    **Plan ahead and utilize the shuttle busses if possible.  Wear a lot of clothes to your exchange zone and hand them off to your teammates when you start your relay leg.  Make sure you have warm, dry clothes for your teammates just finishing their relay leg.

I'm so glad to have DH to support me on this run! Too bad there will be times (like at the top of the Dome) that he can't get there, but hopefully we'll figure out a plan for changing dry clothes along the way. Maybe shoes, too. This one is going from "hope I do well" to "hope I finish/survive".

They had at least 10 straight Equinoxes with good to great weather, but if that forecast holds this will be three in a row with less than good. 2013 was cold and we had 7-8 miles of snow on the trail, and last year's 43 degree mist and downpour was rough.

Yes change your shirt/and or jacket/and hat gloves if it's wet. I did three times last year (at 8.5, 19.5, and 23) and it saved my race.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - Sorry for your Equinox forecast - hopefully it will not be as bad as predicted.

Mariposa - so excited about your trip to Macedonia!

My stiffness is mostly gone, but the bottom of my left foot has been slightly tender since Woodstock, and I have been icing it.  I worry about PF, something that I have never had but I understand that it tends to take months to heal. Last weekend I went almost 29 miles with Carissa, and even though it was mostly race-walking, my body felt as stiff and beat-up the next day as if I had run a 50K.  Somehow I thought walking would be easier on me than running, but in fact it used a lot of muscles I am not accustomed to using, and I was stiff in strange places, like my lower back and the back of my hips.

My dilemma is that this weekend should be my last 20-miler before a 3-week taper until the Freedom's Run Marathon in WV on 10/10.  However, after last weekend I almost feel like this should be a recovery week instead, and with my foot being iffy, maybe I should just run 20 next weekend and do a two-week taper.

Since I will be taking 3 weeks off running after dental implant surgery on 10/16, I may as well completely give up on my mileage goal for 2015 and maybe just ride my bike over the weekend to let my foot rest.  We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

6.2 easy-paced miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Sayhey Mike E, what's you goal for MCM?

2:59:59 is always my goal...or as close to it as I can get.  How about you?

evanflein

Roger, almost more than staying warm, I'm concerned about footing. I don't do well in mud, and after last year's fall, I'm thinking of a shoe change to my trail shoes, at least at 19.5. My trail shoes aren't really good on roots (fell 3 times on Muskox Run last year) so don't want to wear them the first 6 miles... Oh well, it is what it is and I just want to get thru it.

Holly, hope your foot is good soon. Foot problems are no fun, and I know that from experience.

Glad to hear Nancy is having fun, even without much running.

4.1 miles today before going to pick up my bib. Lots of talk about the weather and conditions. (Roger, bib pickup was at the Civic Center... No more Pumphouse.)

SteveP

Though sometimes sorry and sad, it’s somehow strangely reassuring, and frequently inspiring, to be connected so closely in a very personal way to so much of everyone’s same kinds of daily joys and travails all around the country. We’re not alone after all. Glad to be looking forward to the excitement of this weekend’s run-to-the-beach festivities, though. However, wish you could make the posie’s stop by on the way back.

If anyone can muster through a tough forecast, Erika can.

SteveP