Masters Running

Saturday March 21 runs and weekend fun (Read 390 times)

Eight miles at 6:30 a.m.---18º and bright sunshine with visible ground everywhere---8:30 pace. I am moving into 30-mile weeks and still feeling good with the injury recovery on track. This month’s issue of New England Runner got me thinking of summer races and fall plans with hope. Another sports intensive weekend ahead for us---the kiddo has a hockey game (nearby thank goodness) and then he has baseball practice---a clinic really for the whole league run by the high school coach. This afternoon we head to Storrs, CT to watch the free and open women’s NCAA basketball practices. The press buzz is always about the men, but we are huge UConn women’s basketball fans and since they begin their trek to the National championship right at home, we want to see as much as we can. As for the men’s brackets it was nice to see some clients win their games----Go Dayton Flyers! Go Siena Saints! Go Syracuse Orange! Good Luck to all the racers. Go Tramps!

Hill Runner

Good morning Karin GO TRAMPS! ...Beautiful running weather this morning. Looks like 8 is the magic number today. Four consecutive days of running for me which is unusual. 8.05 miles of hills @ 8:50 pace. I hit 57 miles for the week....a new weekly PR for me. It seems like the more I run, the less pain I have in my AT. Good runs today everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Karin, so nice to see ya building your miles up again....as I can now say, it's a wonderful feeling. Thanks for what you contribute here at RA! Peter, I have to admit also...the more I run, the more my AT pain went away. This week will be over a 40 mile week, and my AT is a little stiff - prolly always will from what I have been told, and read - but it doesn't hurt anymore. What's great is, I don't even think about it any more, before or during running. I am always so impressed with your running...and all hills to. Mine main reason here this morning is to say, I hope Tramps has a great race...can't wait to hear about it, he is sooo ready for a quick time. No run yet for me...long hard work week, so just relaxing this morning and heading out for 12 miles pretty soon. Have a great day and weekend everyone! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

5.5 easy miles around the neighborhood w/DW, hilly 12 miler planned tomorrow 8 days until high school baseball starts here in Ohio then it will be difficult finding time to run as I'll be umpiring 3 evenings on weekdays & doubleheaders on Saturday's. We registered for half in Pittsburgh just in time as it is now closed for half & full. They hadn't stated a max limit but far surpassed their expectations. Enjoy your weekend runs everyone!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Renee the dog

Looks like 8 is the magic number today.
            Oh drat! I'm the class slacker again. I did just half that -- 4 mi of pain free running on my mulligan from yesterday! Yoga, stretching, a good nap seemed more important yesterday for my leg. Good running to all today. GOOOOoooooo Tramps!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Drats is right! I though about doing 8 today ..... but I was out for 7 miles this morning. 10:49 Avg. pace and 167 avg. HR - kind of high today I guess. Then home for 30 minutes on the stability ball with my college daughter and friend as my cheer team of sorts. Roll eyes Now off to help my 92 year old mom find some new, "more hip" eyeglasses. I think she has as many eyeglasses as I have shoes ..... well, maybe not that many. Never too old to stay in style you know! Big grin Go Tramps! Go MSU Spartans!! Big grin Happy Saturday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Karin, Peter, TimBo, Sarge, Nono, and Mary. Great runs all, now 8 +/- miles is the norm for me on a Saturday morning but I did a very easy 5 today because we're doing an 18 mile group run tomorrow ending at a local brew pub...mmmmmm! So I'm a bit of a slacker today too. Wink Saturday - 5.02 miles easy - 42:39 - 8:30 - Avg HR 137 - Max HR 179, sunny & a cool 37° 8:38 - 8:38 - 8:29 - 8:27 - 8:19 - :07 GO TRAMPS!
                SteveP

Hope you had fun with your Mom Mary. 4.65 miles with Tag today. The trails still have knee deep snow on them It's still cold enough at night to keep them from getting too sloppy. 1/2 way through the loop is down hill, not matter which way you run it. The other 1/2 is always up hill. If we can get it down hill both ways...then we have something. One plateau has no visible water, you can see last year's cat tails. When getting through them, the ground is dry, but you can hear water running underground. further exploration may be the plot to a cheesy movie.

SteveP

King of PhotoShop

Maine, I see you are careful on your Saturday run to tee up your Sunday run. I do the same thing. I want 12-13 tomorrow, so I ran just 5 today at about 9:15 pace. That gives me my 40 mile week. It's a beautiful day here. I think we will eat outside by the pool tonight. I enjoyed the taper thread very much. Excellent comments, particularly by Karin, who has some good experience with the subject. I may post some thoughts later on myself, but one comment Holly made was one I have often reminded others. Stay the hell off your feet the day before the race. It is no time to mow your lawn, paint your house, garden, do work on a ladder or any stuff like that. If you are out of town, go to the expo and get your stuff and go back to your hotel room with the TV remote. At Boston, walk the Freedom Trail on Tuesday! The Beers are doing the Half so they are finished by now, and I assume Tramps is also. Somebody post something as soon as you hear. I have very good vibes about this race for him. Some of his long training runs have been superb. Spareribs
                      I've been on vacation the last couple of weeks. Intended to post, but didn't feel like paying $12/day for Internet access. I'll post more about my runs there in a couple of days. Anyhow, I was reminded of why I usually don't vacation in warmer places during the winter: it's really a shock getting back to the cold that I had been used to. I ran a local 5K this morning, but nothing worth posting an RR since I was treating it as a fun-run that I could complete without hurting anything. Mission accomplished in 26-flat, but it felt really cold for the first mile or more. Keep up the good running everyone. I don't know if I'll ever catch up with what's been going on in these forums since I stopped visiting regularly.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

At the library, catching up on the cyber world before heading to the boardwalk to test the recovering knee. Eight might end up being my magic number for the week as a result of the stupid stunt I pulled with the whiteboard on Wednesday. The swelling is going down a little, pain is less, and range of motion is much better, but the scab on the cut looks more nasty than before and the whole thing is turning the colors of a storm cloud. The interesting side-effect that emerged yesterday is that I pulled a glute slightly when I was favoring the knee during Thursday's run. Nothing like driving 2-1/2 hours to sit through a choir rehearsal with not-so-mild pain on one's left butt-cheek! Looking forward to hearing of Tramps' race today. Nono- have a blast at Ocean Drive. I was going to make it my first 10-miler, but I have a huge concert that evening (Verdi Requiem at the Kimmel Center!) and didn't want to risk groaning over the orchestra every time I have to stand or sit during the performance. It's definitely on my list for next year - maybe the half, or even the full?!?!?! Shocked Mary - my mom and your mom could probably have a contest over the number of eyeglasses. Mine's only 81 - I'll have to tell her about your mom looking for a more hip pair of frames! Happy first weekend of spring, not matter what the temps where you are! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

PJH

Hi Roch - good to see you posting! CNYrunner - enjoyed your taper comments the other day. Visiting my DD today in SW Ontario this weekend. Ran 10 mi ... 1:37:35 ... 9:45 pace ... 148 hr. this morning in overcast, cool temps but no wind. The roads are very flat in this area of the province so not much variety on the run. Wanted to run 12 today, but the abs & thighs were talking more than usual so cut it off at 10. Off to visit a winery this afternoon and then back for a barbeque and movie. Nice to see DD and SIL again. We don't get this kind of quality time too often. Great running everyone! PJ
                            Had planned on doing 12+ today, but the legs just didn't have it. Guess I'm still worn out from 1/2 last Sat. plus I had already put in 15 this week, which is more than usual. So I made it to 9.75 at a very slow pace. Since my next 1/2 is in 4 weeks I will have to ramp back up for the next 2 weekends at least! Anxious to hear from Tramps as well. Peter, congrats on your new weekly PR! Once I hit 20+ back in Jan. I decided I had to keep doing that...now if I could just reach 30...... CNY, you are such a jock! Spareribs, how great to be able to eat out by the poolTongue Got to go search garage for hazardous waste - today's the day you can take it and dump it safely at fairgrounds. Then, off to get my 2nd truck load of mulch and continue the beautification of my back yard. Happy Saturday all. Spring Break's almost overSad

I Can Go The Distance

I moved by LR to today because the weather forcast for tomorrow is rain and high winds (25-30 mph). I don't mind the rain but I hate running in the wind. I did 14 miles in 2:19:42-9:58/mi. CNYRunner: I'm a UCONN woman's basketball fan too. I have been since the days of Sue Bird and Shea Ralph. This year's team seems to be one of the best in awhile. Outside of Oklahoma and maybe Duke, I don't see any other teams giving them much trouble. GO TRAMPS!!! Have a great day and great runs everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

King of PhotoShop

I am so excited to bring you this news! Two big PR's for the Beers today in their Half: WRFB at 1:37:12 and PDR at 1:54:44. Way to go! They have trained so consistently and well. Spareribs