Masters Running

Pre-Turkey Daily - Wednesday, 11.21.12 (Read 342 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!!    Life has a way of taking us on detours and I've been on a bumpy one.  I do plan on getting out for a run/walk tomorrow morning before I start the pie baking.   It has been way to long and I'm sure it will help with my mental health as well.

Enjoy your day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Holly, it looks like a Bayshore meet up is not going to happen, at our place anyway.  It looks like it'll be rented out during that week/weekend.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!!    Life has a way of taking us on detours and I've been on a bumpy one.  I do plan on getting out for a run/walk tomorrow morning before I start the pie baking.   It has been way to long and I'm sure it will help with my mental health as well.

Enjoy your day!!

HEY !!!!!

I was just wondering about you!

Just when I think I've had the best late-November running conditions, we get a day that tops it. Such was today, as I ran the usual 6 miles on the usual rail-trail with the usual gang (plus a couple). Then breakfast afterwards before a trip for me down to Microcenter to grab up a new PC before the last of the Windows 7 systems disappears. But it will be a few days yet before I can find the time to get it all set up.

No Turkey Trot for me tomorrow, but I am doing a 4-mile trail run that a friend has organized. I'm going to have to wear my glasses, go slow, and remember to pick my feet up -- the trails have some deep leaf cover with roots and rocks below. I've tripped enough times when I could see the hazards, so will definitely take it easy.

And I just heard that my MIL has come down with something, so if she's not feeling OK by tomorrow it will be a really small gathering for dinner. Hope all your Thanksgivings are joyous!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...Yeah, we been  missing you hopeful/////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

((( Mary ))) Hope whatever is causing the bumps in your road these days straightens out. You've been mised.

Oh yeah - my DIL went to the doctor yesterday to find out if they'll be having a boy or a girl next February. Will and Ben are going to have a little brother Smile

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hi Mary!  I missed you, too!

Well, after a week off, I tried my heal out by running 8.2 miles in a very comfortable 1:02:25.  It was "okay".  Not great, but not as bad as it was to cause me to take a week off.  So--I think I have officially begun my traing for the Kentucky Derby...Marathon.  Yeah...I guess adding that is kind of important with this one.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!  Oh--good luck to everybody doing Thanksgiving Day races, tomorrow!

Marathon Maniac #957

I know I'll never be "fast", at least I know I can go long and forever...

+1  Smile

Jay - I'm with you as well on the family vs. shopping thing.  Our Black Friday tradition is to go to a local tree farm and cut our Christmas tree, have hot cocoa by the fire in the barn, and come home and decorate. Also, this is when we traditionally bring out a jigsaw puzzle to lay out on the kitchen island and begin working on.  It may take weeks, but we all play a part in it. 

Slo - Yes!  I agree!  We need to drink more coffee after the race maybe?

Mike - very looking forward to meeting you already!  But it's only November.  Training doesn't start until after Christmas......Wink

Mary - hi!

Jlynne - congratulations!

Byll - thanks for letting me know.  With Kentucky Derby and hopefully Moab on my "away" race list next year, it is probably just as well....

Work was crazy this week with end of month stuff (when my cases are super-busy) and just trying to get ahead for the holiday time off. Still, I managed to get home in time to bake a pumpkin pie and make sweet potatoe souffle, hash brown casserole, and broccali salad. DD and I are walk/running a 5 mile Turkey Trot in the morning together - her first.  With no training, 5 miles might be a bit long, but we can walk it in.  With 7000+ people registered for this small town event, it will be a fun adventure for her.

No run for me today - with the holiday weekend, I decided to do my core and weights (upper) today and run later....

Happy Holiday Weekend!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ohhh, taper boy, I think you have ran more marathons than me this year. How many have you done to date? 

Nancy - by how long it takes me nowadays, I'm running twice as long as you do.

With all your running in the rare rain over there on the other side of the Cascades, I’d try to talk you and DS-1 into this year’s SM too but the typical SM weather would probably make yours look good.  

My DH is pretty tired of hearing about the Monkey

Wildchild / Holly / OM / Slo / Ilene / Paul / SRL / et al - in case anyone’s looking for someone to talk to the Monkey about, I know about two dozen runners who are still waiting for as many Monkey Reports as possible, as long as possible, and with as many pictures as possible.

No one "gets" the ultra mentality there. .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              at least I know I can go long and forever...

OM - it took me 30 years to dare to take on the ultra-distances and here you are getting ready to do it right away ala francesca, dove, holly, leslie, mariposai and all the ultra-goddesses.  Don't you guys know that ultras ares supposed to be hard and daunting, if not impossible?

ps - Happy Thanksgiving Mary.  Remember your beautiful waterfall.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Wildchild / Holly / OM / Slo / Ilene / Paul / SRL / et al - in case anyone’s looking for someone to talk to the Monkey about, I know about two dozen runners who are still waiting for as many Monkey Reports as possible, as long as possible, and with as many pictures as possible.

Yep!  I'm one of them.  It's so cool to see my friends looking so happy!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

then time to marinate the salmon for tomorrow.

One of our best was a seafood Thanksgiving at Woods Hole, MA

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Lots of monkey excitement and to am looking forward to reading the race reports.  Holly has a great idea to put it all in one thread.  OrangeMat, you have done great things and I admire you along with all the other greta runners here.  I still remember when you ran your first marathon doing laps back to your car!  When was that, anyway?

Well the orchestra concert went really well last night and I can put Carmen to rest in peace for a while.  I may play my clarinet in church for offertory sometime.  I have the pleasure of planning and coordinating the worship ministry at church for the month of December.  How fun will that be! 

Thanksgiving is almost here and I planned the standard menu.  DH looked at it and criticized me for having so much stuff. I;m sure he'll eat two helpings of everything though!

I rarely shop on Black Friday and certainly not on any holiday.  I remember when all the stores in town were closed on Sundays.  The grocery store was open until maybe 9 or 10 pm.  All the other stores closed at 5 pm, but stayed open until 9 on Friday nights.  Oh, if you didn’t get to the bakery by 10 am all of the good stuff was gone!

We had a wonderful day today, even with the wind.  It got up to 68° here in SW MN. I hustled home to run the lake, but kept thinking of my to do list, so turned around at 1.55 miles so got in a slow 5K.  Waiting for Brody and his parents to arrive. 

Have a great holiday everyone .  Ribs, how do you make gravy without the drippings from the turkey?  I am sure it is wonderful.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

aka FlyingFinn

Jlynne, great news! Congratulations. 

I hope things smooth out for you Hopeful. 

Tried something different this year...I brined the turkey last night and roasted it ahead of time today. I did four breasts that were about 8 lbs. each. A friend who has done this recommended the method and I also read it in Taste of Home magazine. Tomorrow I'm going to warm it with some of the juices. It's supposed to be moist and good... we shall see. I don't eat meat so my guests will be the taste testers/guinea pigs.Smile There'll be 17 of us: 13 adults and 3 kids and the baby. We're having our traditional cinnamon roll breakfast Friday morning so there will be no shopping. 

There will be some first meetings this weekend, and the one I'm most excited about is Jocelyn meeting her great grandparents and the rest of the family for the first time. The weather is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow...glad the turkeys are done so we can relax outside on the porch. All that's left to make are two casseroles and dressing and potatoes; they will be easy with extra hands helping. 

3 miles for me today.  Those of you racing tomorrow,  have fun Turkey Trotting. Enjoy your families and count blessings. 

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Mariposai

Ok, Holly and OrangeMat, STOP thinking of yourselves as SLOW runners!!! you are NOT! and even if you are, who cares? Both of you are magnificent runners!!!

And OrangeMat is right, most people don't understand this Maniac or Ultra mentality Wink

Keep on Rocking  the running world Girls!!!

Ok, I got that out of my chest. Now it is time to take the pumpkin pie, huckleberries pie (harvested by yours truly) and apple pie out of the oven and start working on meal pre-cooking. Yes, I know it is late night, but hey...not all plans work out the way you had envision!

Happy Being Thankful day!

Enjoy your gathering and please cherish the people around you!

ohh...and while you are at it...let them know how much they mean to you!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Been walking and swimming mostly...hoping to get a morning turkey run in tomorrow. Good runs all and Happy Thanksgiving.