Masters Running

Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5k Race Report (Read 221 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This is the second year I've run this race. My goal was to break 30 minutes, but I knew that would be a stretch for me, because there's a long, gradual hill that kills me. Running with: DH, DS 13, DD 10, and running partner (Martha). DS 15 was not allowed to run it since he's in the middle of outdoor track season. Wearing (based on DD's opinion): bright pink Under Armour tech shirt, brand new black Nike shorts, Asics GT-2120 (233 miles or so on them), hair pulled back with brand new pink enamel scrunchie from Talbot's. Big grin Weather: 51 degrees and WINDY. Waiting around before the race was hard. I didn't want to get there too late, because parking can be a problem. Martha and I warmed up for a mile 25 minutes before the race, though, and that helped. DS 13 was grumpy, so I was worried about how he would do. DD 10 was hoping to beat DH. We couldn't figure out where the starting line was exactly, so we just followed the mob. It was more crowded than last year! When the gun went off, we shuffled along slowly. I saw some cones marking the start line, so I pushed the start button on my Garmin. It's not like I'm a passing machine, but I still found it hard to maneuver with all the people. We started up towards the front of the pack, but people were already WALKING. It got annoying trying to dodge around all the walkers - I wish they would start at the back. My 1-mile split was 9:36, which was under the 9:40 I needed. Then we got to the hill, though, and I slowed right down. I have to figure out how to push harder during races. My two-mile split was 10:00. At the 2.25-mile point, I heard, "Go, Teresa! Good job!" It was Blaine (Run to Win), who was volunteering in the race. His encouragement helped a lot! The last part of the race was downhill, but some of it was so steep that it wasn't as helpful as I expected. I was surprised to almost catch up with my daughter - I guess she had a hard race, because usually she would be about three minutes ahead of me. My third mile split was 9:37. Apparently there was a woman playing bagpipes at the 3-mile point, but as usual for me, I was so focused I didn't see her! When we ran through the high school football stadium, there was a group playing drums loudly, and at least I didn't miss that! The race ended in our minor league baseball team's stadium. I sprinted at the end at an 8:14 pace, which is blazing fast for me! My official finishing time was 30:36, but I recorded 30:12 on my Garmin, and that's the time I will use. So I PR'd by 26 seconds, but didn't quite make my goal. 2007 official results: 39:25. 1268/1436 overall. 106/121 AG (40-44) 2008 official results: 30:36. 1125/1926 overall. 57/120 AG (45-49). So I improved! Smile I can't believe the race grew that much in one year. After the finish line, things got chaotic. I guess they don't want people on the baseball field, so they channeled everyone into a narrow line. It was just too crowded. I lost track of DD, and DS hadn't finished yet. I finally found my daughter, then went up into the stands to watch my son finish. He finished in about 38:30, which was a big improvement for him. He was so happy! He didn't walk at all, and he passed a lot of people walking up the hill. I'm so proud of him - running is difficult for him, but he keeps plugging. Here's a photo of him I just found online! DH beat DD, but that may be the last time it happens! He finished in 28:09, a couple of minutes slower than last year, because he hasn't been running much. DD's time was 30:19, three minutes slower than her last 5k. She wasn't sure why it was so hard for her, because the hill didn't bother her. A man was passing out carnations to all the moms, so that was nice. I grabbed an orange, and then we headed off to Dunkin' Donuts in the town next to Portland. I was surprised that almost everyone in line had run the race! "America Runs on Dunkin'" is true, I guess. So it was a fun race, and I'm happy with how I did. I pushed hard and enjoyed myself. I'm going to sign up for a flat 5k on June 14 to see if I can make my goal! Thanks for reading! Teresa
      Great report, great photo! You will go sub 30, and probably at that next race! 2000 people at a 5K sounds like a lot. If you can find a smaller race, you might be able to go even faster. It's so nice that your whole family (almost) was involved in this one. Friendly competition?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

I think it's great that your family all runs! Why does track season mean your DS1 couldn't run a 5K? Did he have a race on Monday or something? Congrats on beating your time from last year by a huge 8 minutes! That's over 2 1/2 minutes per mile! Too bad that kind of improvement only happens when you first start running - otherwise you could run it next year in 22 minutes Wink!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Outstanding job, theresa. It's especially great that it was a family affair. Nice picture of your son, too. Congrats to all of you. TomS
            Awesome race and the report was definitely worth waiting for. So cool that DH and your kids also run! And you did it in a scrunchie from Talbots! If you're doing your first HM on Sept 21 AND you shop at Talbots, I know we'd get along! Almost all of my school clothes are from Talbots, but no running stuff. I'm going scrunchie-shopping there tomorrow, though. Maybe it'll help me to get speedy like you?!? Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Great racing Teresa and what a super report. We have been to a few Sea Dogs games (in fact a stuffed Slugger is tucked in the corner of Boogie's dog bed...!). It's wonderful that your whole (almost) family enjoyed this and you all clearly had a good day. Your running progress is inspirational to watch and your joy about running even better. Thanks and way to go! Karin

King of PhotoShop

Well of course we expected you to run well now that you are skinny! Nice job. And how wonderful is that the whole family enjoyed this race. Now you take that photo of your son and show him that beautiful rear leg kick, how it returns completely, like a pro runner, and tell him this old guy on the internet said he is going to be a very fast runner one day. That is beautiful form. Spareribs
                pfriese

Teresadfp, What a race. 5K's are so much fun. Congrats on your 5K PR. Thanks for sharing your Mothers Day race with us. Paul
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK, I'll admit it, this was worth waiting for Yes Great race for you and your whole family! And a HUGE improvement for you--much better placement in a much bigger crowd. Just a little more squishing of that long run effort into your 5K and that sub-30 is not far away. Just learning how to run these 5K's and where to stand at the beginning will get you faster. Congratulations once again. BTW--that run around Back Cove looks like a lot of fun. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Not many things beat a family outing. Add a fun race to the mix and you've got the makings of a perfect day! You're sub 30 is right around the corner (not that "time" matters at all...it's way down there on my priority list). But just in case you're keeping track, enke is right, probably next go around. Thanks for sharing your race with us.
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Henrun

Congrats Teresa-a great race for you and your family. I would have run it too if I hadn't been out of town last week. Part of the reason it grew so much this year is the promotion of the race by my club (New England 65+ Running Club). All those seniors padded the attendence figures.
                        coastwalker

Hi Theresa, Congratulations on having a great family affair at the race, the terrific RR with a wonderful photo of DS on the move, and on your terrific PR! You've really come a long way - your sub:30 is just around the corner. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PJH

Very nice run, Teresa! Hugh improvement over last year ... and nice PR at this distance even though you didn't reach your goal ...you will soon. Great that you could enjoy the day with your family too. Continued good running over the summer. PJ
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys! I'm proud of my bunch. Carolyn, my older son runs a 1-mile and a 2-mile race each week, either Thursday or Friday, and he has a specific training schedule for the rest of the week. I guess his coach doesn't feel extra races will help him any. Spareribs, I told my son what you said about his kick, and he appreciated it! It's usually his brother getting the compliments, so this meant a lot to him. My next 5k, I will be thinking, "Everyone on RA says I can break 30, so HTFU!!" Big grin
                                Theresa, sweet! Wish I could get my youngest to join me. Good pics too. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.