Masters Running

Friday Daily, 11.16.12 (Read 368 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

5.7 racewalking miles this morning at 4:10 - 32F, overcast skies, slight breeze from the NE. I continued to work on technique, and had some good splits this morning, making for a satisfying workout.

I learned this morning that a good friend died last evening after a year + battle with cancer. He dealt with the diagnosis with grace and humor, understanding and accepting the inevitable outcome, but still giving it his best shot to try to beat the odds. I hope he is at peace, even if we are not. SloHand is right about this disease.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

((((Jay))))

another day of not running - I will tomorrow. biked to work - no wind, so the 34 was a piece of cake!

marj

[[[[jay]]]]........if he was At Peace it was a Blessing.......

======

pt xs

remembered a StandingStretch that I can use for the SidePlank til I get some Shoulder Muscles

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I'm sorry Jay.

Henry and Marj, thanks for getting more pics up here, and congrats once again.

TW, whether side or front planks, they use a lot of muscle strength, same as pushups.  It took me a while to break into both exercises.  My Club has a "Plank Challenge" going on this year. Every day you are required to do a one minute plank, either side or front.  At the beginning, there were many people doing 30 seconds one side, 30 seconds the other, or breaking up the front plank like that, simply because they weren't used to it.  Over the months, a number of people have dropped out, mostly because they forgot. "Whoops!  I'm out; forgot to plank today."  The Saint dropped out last month for that reason.  I'm still in, along with just one other member. But now that I've been doing just a minute a day for almost 11 months, I've made all kinds of progress, keeping one leg off the floor on the front plank for example.  But these exercises take time to get used to.

6 miles easy on a gorgeous, crisp morning.  Spareribs

coastwalker my sympathies.

Finally leaving on my flight! A 90 minute delay. Oh, the joy of flying!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

I'm sorry about your friend, Jay. My Dad also just lost a long time dear dear friend on Thursday after a battle with cancer. He's thankful that he and my mom took a few days to drive down to Calif and spend some time with him before his passing as they knew it would be soon. but even when you know it's coming and you know it's for the best, it's still a tough loss when someone loses the battle to cancer. My thoughts are with you.

got in 5.4 miles on the track last night, waiting for David to finish up basketball. today the rains are coming so probably won't get in a run tomorrow but sunday is less of a chance so will try to get in a longish (10 or more) run then. Saturday will be cleaning, planning my T day menu, getting my shopping done and continue working on the scrapbook memory album of Jade and Jasmine for David.

Have a great day everyone!

Tammy

...thanks ribbs///

.............the pt had me doing

3-reps of 30-seconds front-sides-(and Bridges for back)......

apprently

the strain on my shoulders is more than I thought.

Slo

Just arrived in Nashville. The "Micro" in Microtel makes sense

...Slo//...........if you can

find the Gerst Haus downtown.............GREAT German cooking and Beer.

http://www.gersthaus.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Must be because I am a small person, or that I had the room to myself last time, but I don't remember it being any smaller than most motel rooms.....Joking

Jay, I'm sorry to hear that.  My co-worker's husband had a cancer tumor in his bladder removed today, and we are all praying for a healthy outcome for him. I agree with you and Slo about cancer.

No run today, no exercise, nada, just puttered around the house this morning doing odds and ends.  I get home from work early on Friday's and I have begun packing for my morning drive to Nashville.....

.....am I the only one who needs four pairs of shoes for a weekend trip?    Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, really sorry about your friend. Sending hugs to you and to his family.

I went out for a sproinky 5 mile RAL, and ended up running way too fast.  Probably because I took yesterday off, so my legs are fresh.  5 miles at a 9:11 avg pace, with the first 5k at a pace that would be a 5k PR!  Oops.  Of course, this trail was flatter and lower than my fastest 5k, but clearly I need to find a flat low altitude 5k to run!  

Looking forward to the race this weekend!  Holly has kindly offered to pick me up at the Nashville airport tomorrow.  I'm only bringing 2 pairs of shoes...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

aka FlyingFinn

I'm so sorry Jay. I have an old dear friend who is fighting that battle now. Slo is absolutely right about this disease!

DH and I both had the day off and it was a beautiful one, 50 and sunny. We did outside stuff. I continue to pluck things out of the garden. I thought I was done drying herbs but found the oregano had grown back a lot since I cut it last. The dining room table is now covered with oregano stems and leaves. I like crumbling dry herbs and flavoring olive oil with them and sea salt to make dipping oil for bread.

5 miles of hills late this afternoon, racing the sun home before it set. It was pretty. The trees are pretty much bare so we can watch the sun all the way down now.

Very excited about you Monkey runners! Please take lots of pics.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

Happy Monkeying around to everyone Sunday.

I got wild today and took a vacation day today, since we had closing for our re-fi this afternoon.  this year has been so busy that I still have 12 of my 20 days left.  Hoping for a nice peaceful month and a half to use them up.

Took advantage by sleeping in and went out for 3.1 at 7:30. 9:17 pace so could almost call it fast.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Bushrat Runner

Jay, sorry to read about your friend passing on. 

Had one of those weeks where everything is hard to keep up with, as we were going through our annual management team season review/workforce analysis/budget planning meeting, but I did manage to get off in time to coach swimming yesterday and then swim last night myself. The cold has descended on us again, so when I run this weekend it should be sub-zero...I'll report back on that. Looking forward to it, as it looks like it will be beautiful. But cold.

Mariposai

This is Monkey's weekend, hoorrayyy!!!T

Ribs, what a good idea about 1' plank a day. I may just start something like that come January 1.

Jay, I am so sorry to hear about your friend's death. One more reminder to cherish those friends we love!

Welcome to the right side of the country, twocat. I hope you have sunshine while here.

Running? 5 miles for me with 4@5k tempo pace, which seemed a little easy time to make that pace a little faster.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard