Masters Running

Snowflake 10K RR (Read 187 times)

10K 48:29 7:49 pace 20th overall and 3rd in my age group. Weather: 12 degrees with 25 mph winds and -3 windchill Fashion report: Yellow Tech shirt covered by red fleece shirt , wool mittens, fleece hat and neck gator. standard leggings and Brooks GTS7s This is one of the local winter club runs that are usually pretty popular around here. It is a two lap race with a 5k stopping as we start our second lap. The field was small today with only about 60 runners in the 10k event. Not sure how many run the 5k but I am sure it was a few more. This is the first time I have placed in my age group in any event . I guess I just need to make sure I go to all the extreme temp races in order to dwindle the field down Wink Actually there where 6 in my group and I came in 3rd so like usual I am at about the 50% spot for my age group. It was cold out!! Not so bad when we started but as we turned down the back side of the block we were facing directly into a 25 mph wind. I took off with the front group and stayed with them for the first half mile or so just to get into the open. I realized that I had to slow down so I picked a nice spot behind a nice "behind" Evil grin I was just cruising along and enjoying the scenery until we turned the corner and into the wind and unfortunantly the woman I was using for a pacer acted like she hit a wall and slowed way down so I had to pass her and find someone else. Basically I just put my head down and pushed hard just so I could turn the next corner and out of the cold wind. Ran with a group of guys that looked about my pace and settled back in. As we approached the 5k mark and we all found out who was stopping and who was going . The clock read 23 :14 as I passed it so I had a pretty good time going (for me anyway) I decided to try and match that as close as possible on the second lap. Started out fairly steady and picked out a guy with Red White and Blue shorts about 200 yards in front of me and decided to try and real him in. I was dreading turning that corner again and as I approached I could hear breathing in my ear and knew some people where right behind me. There where about 3 guys and they just kinda tucked in behind me and sort of drafted. As we approached the corner to turn out of the wind they all three passed me. Hmmmp!! That kinda got me going again so My goal now was to pass all three before the finish line. They got pretty far out in front of me as I took a little breather for awhile and recouped from the windy leg. I then picked up my pace and overtook the first one within minutes. The next two were running together and I put my sites on them. As we got closer to the finish the course turns into a sub just as we get back to the start area and I knew we were within a mile of the finish. I again picked up my pace and overtook the second guy with about .5 to go. I then see up ahead the red white and blue guy from earlier and although he was way up there thought I might just catch him. That was not to be ,I did come in right behind him, but managed to pass the last draft guy going down the parking lot heading into the chute. A little dissapointed in my second 5k time 25:15 but happy with my overall time in these conditions. I was comfortable all but my left big toe and it was numb the last mile or so. I really need to find socks that I like that also keep my feet warmer during the winter. I picked up my first ever hardware and went home for a long hot shower.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great job Haller! Nice report. Thanks for posting.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Nice running, hallar. Your conditions sound just like mine in Bay City this morning. You were tougher though as you did a 10K while I did a 5K. You also ran a lot faster. Congrats on catching several people near the end and getting your first AG award. TomS
          Congrats on getting third in your age group. I have never placed in any age group. Well, not since high school. Nice job. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            Great job Larry, I could not force my self to get out of the bed this morning. I would have done the 5k, probably ended up 2nd in heavyweight div. The first place 5k was only 23 something in our age group. Congrats on ag award Derrick
            SteveP

Well done Haller. You had a plan and you ran a smart race!!! If racing is your bag, you'll get more hardware and chicks dig hardware. Good deal on passing those who drafted.

SteveP

Good job! It's not easy to run fast in cold and wind and you did so with style and impressive results. Way to go and I enjoyed the report! CNY
                  Congrats on the AG hardware in some tough conditions. You can legitimately call this a sub-zero-wind-chill PR.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

CassadAAmius

Larry, this RR brought back some vivid memories for me... I ran this same race 2 years ago, on another bitter-cold and windy day. That turn into the wind is really tough, especially on the second lap when you know what you're in for. I also remember everyone I was running with turning off after 5k, and running the last 5k all alone. You showed real fortitude to a) show up, and b) push yourself to a good time despite the conditions. Enjoy your well-deserved hardware.
                    huskydon

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I can't even imagine what it would be like to be racing when it is that cold. Congratulations on the hardware! Good perseverence and gutting it out. huskydon

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations on your 3rd AG award, and in those tough conditions! (brrrrrr is right) Nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Hi Haller, You did a greta job of finding the right motivations at different points in the race to keep you going, and to help you to a very strong finish - well done, and congrats on the AG hardware. So, what was with the guy in shorts in -3 degree weather? He must have had some kind of tights on under them! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice race Hallar! Good strategy to stay behind the behind, but when the behind slowed, to get ahead of the behind Big grin After that, you set your sights on some other runners and brought most of them in. Hey, the strategy worked and you came home with AG hardware! Thanks for sharing your RR and keep up the good running, John