Masters Running

St. Patrick's Day 5K RR (Read 389 times)

SteveP

Kingsley is one of the area’s many cross road towns. One thing that sets this town apart is the community support. This year they had an inaugural race to raise funds for a track at the middle school. With an entry fee of $5.00 and a 10:00 AM start time, it didn’t take long to make the decision to race. A race like this generally attracts 45-60 runners. Race day, DW and I slept in and head out at 8:45. When we got to the school an hour before the start time and it was a flurry of activity! Parking was great. Right away we saw Rodney, Dan from the local running store, Lisa and John2. So was Katie, on of the teachers at the school. There were over 100 runners and the place was a zoo!!!!! Since it was a race to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and it was 26F, I decided to wear a black ribbed Batman tank top, black running pants, asics gel shoes, a black Batman stocking cap and black gloves. As it was overcast and the wind was light, I left the sun glasses in the car. There was a young girl with Batman gloves and a boy with a Batman stocking cap with a really kewl Batsignal on it. There is hope for our youth!!!! John2 and I started next to each other about the middle of the pack. We both had 26 min goals. The map showed a whole lotta turns and road crossings. We decided we’d just follow Rodney. Just before the start, I ran back to DW and got a quick kiss. Then we were off!!! We started up a gentle hill and quickly lost sight of Rodney. He was wearing really bright colors and looked more like a one man Easter Parade than a Leprechaun. The course was all residential and, though there were lots of turns, it was well marked and well stationed. Thank goodness for volunteers. I had a hard time getting air and started to lag soon after the start. I reached into my utility belt…Let’s see……Hill repellent….Batgirls Illustrated….mace….a trout….there we are, Batman Chewable Decongestant Vitamins with Iron. Sweet. John2 started pulling ahead and I was getting nervous. About ½ the time he beats me, but it just couldn’t happen today. After catching up to him, a husky off of it’s leash wandered up and gave regards to many racers and spent about ¾ of a mile pacing John2 and I. We heard “Woof woof woof”. Which translates into “Timmy fell in a well and needs help!”. We hoped the dog found his way home as he left us. About ½ way I started getting my wind and pulled John2. As he had pulled me earlier, I yelled for him to catch up. He did once…Twice…Then faded…. I spent the rest of the race solo and enjoyed the gentle hills and was able to pass a few runners. With the finish line in sight I gave a final kick and out of no where a teen flies by me and I picked it up againand yelled "Thunder Thigh Powers Activate!", but could not catch him. 5K 26:59:94. I’ll call it 27 min in the record books. John2 was close behind. We both waited for Lisa to finish. I talked with a young man who finished in 50 min was really happy with himself. Real kewl. Also after the race, in a dark alley I saw two little kids with Batman gear and now I have a new hat and gloves. They don’t fit, but point is, there weren’t any witnesses. This part is kewl. First male and female finishers received plaques made by the schools’ shop classes. All the 12 and under runners received awards with their individual names called out. Rodney took 1st in his AG with another sub 20. This race was great!!! Well marked and stationed course. The Race Directors were very energetic and organized. It was mostly youths who won in the post race raffles. The only thing I’d change is to have the results posted so we could see how we did over all and in our Age Groups. We all hope this was the first of many St Patrick races for the school. Sweet.

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi Steve, Kewl race! Sounds like a fabulous turnout, a fun day for you and John2, and a great day for Rodney. What's with all the Batpeople coming out for a St. Patrick's Day race? Note to self: Stay out of dark alleys... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hi Steve, you definitely had a blast and did very well. Wow, there were other people dressed in Bat Gear? Very kewl. I also like the $5.00 fee and the 10AM start. Interesting that 100 runners= zoo (I would LOVE to do a race with only 100 runners). Bask in the glory, Your Batness....
          Sounds like a fun time, Batman. But really -- 100 people makes for a zoo?? You really need to get down to Flint for the Crim and run with 70 or 80x that number! Shocked

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Kewl race and report!! So, did you fry up that trout for dinner? They should really raise that entry fee to ten dollars..

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Batman, Did you buy that hill repellent or make it from sekrit engredients in your batcave? Either way; I'd like you send a batpigeon with a package to me. Thanks for the smile

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

King of PhotoShop

Would love to race with you. You seem to make all these events more enjoyable and your reports are superb. Thanks Steve. Spareribs
                  Nice race, Steve. It sounds like I would have been at home, a small race with lots of friends. Congrats on another fine report and good time. TomS
                    Great report Batman as always. I still haven't heard if Bayshore is on your Bat Schedule. I hope so . Hope to see you May 26th.
                    SteveP

Hi Steve, What's with all the Batpeople coming out for a St. Patrick's Day race? ... Jay
                      What could more St Patrick's Day than Batman garb?????
                      Great report Batman as always. I still haven't heard if Bayshore is on your Bat Schedule. I hope so . Hope to see you May 26th.
                      It doesn't look like it Derrick, as much as I'd like to again, the training has been too much "hit and miss". I'll go and spectate or, hopefully, be a volunteer. I'm looking forward to seeing you and other master runners.

SteveP

Nice report steve, My wife and I saw the latest clips of the new Batman movie coming out at the show last weekend. I must say that the Joker you battle in this one is much more real looking. To bad about Bayshore I was hoping to see you there. Maybe we will run into each other at a volunteer station or something.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holy RR Batman! What fun. It sounds like the event was more of a sucess that expected. I like the attention to detail.. or the sub 12 AG!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nice run, Steve, and as usual a fun report That’s a beautiful area you live in. When I was I kid I used to hitch hike from the slums of Flint up to Lake Charlevoix, Boyne, and that area during the summers. Great place.
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Glad you had a happy St. Batrick's Day 5K but how long you been a boomer not to know that 26:59:94 is 26 not 27. Though it happened many years ago (at 3:59:13), to his dying day, my father used to say "three hours" so much whenever anyone would ask my marathon time that I still carry on the tradition to any and all nonrunners who dare to ask. However, sorry it was such a zoo with doubling entrants to 100 runners, . . . oh, that's right, there were 17,000 in mine! Maybe we can get together sometime for a boomer reunion run with your batcape, mari's wings, tam's pink thongs, my bare feet, rib's flourescent everything, etc. I need more proof that I'm normal and somehow think you'd be just the ticket. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

However, sorry it was such a zoo with doubling entrants to 100 runners, .
                                I chuckled when I wrote about the zoo. I had no idea how funny it was at the time!

SteveP