Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 12.29.13 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I was surprised that a few people commented yesterday about my busy schedule: I often look at what you all are up to, especially Holly, Mariposai and several other folks, and wonder how you manage to squeeze so much into each day. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

I'm always amused when I read, as I did yesterday in Jlynne's post, that one of you has taken walking breaks in your workout. Does that mean everyone of my workouts are 'walking breaks?'

The pond across the street has frozen, and people have been walking and skating on it. Yesterday, someone was out on their knobby-tired bike, doing laps around the perimeter of the pond (maybe 1/4 mi.). I never saw that here before...

10.1 racewalking miles at 4:30 this morning. It was about 24F, with just a slight breeze, so quite pleasant out. The slice 'o moon was just barely visible through the thickening clouds. We're supposed to have some rain later today, followed by that cold front that Mike was talking about yesterday. New Year's Eve and Day promise to be right chilly in our neighborhood.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Coastwalker I'm happy to say there's no ice around here right now, very unusual for late December.  Looks like that will be changing soon.

Beautiful day yesterday, 49 and sunny, so I did 6.3 miles w/DW then went to a 5k race at the County Fairgrounds. Result was 22:56 4/17 AG, overall 90/496, I was very happy to break 23 minutes

10 miles this morning w/DW on the Little Beaver Greenway  in light rain and 37F    

Belated congrats on the anniversary Spareribs!  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Sarge.

Jay, when you think about walk breaks, consider the elitist runners who poked fun at "Gallo-walking" and yet how that process helped many people increase mileage, improve aerobic performance and become very good runners.

Well, today I didn't walk but I felt like it.  5 miles recovery at the Lake this morning.  Now I understand a "cold front" is coming to N. TX after we have had all the great weather.

Breger, even though my Jets and your Dolphins are rivals, I can't bring myself to dislike the Dolphins.  The Jets are out of the playoff hunt of course, but the Dolphins have a slim chance with a win today. I'm pulling for them.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Good morning boys!

Coatwalker,. I was so busy having fun yesterday that I did not notice how busy your schedule was. Good for you for fitting in a 10.1 miler at 4 o'dark.

Sarge, congrats on a sub 23. Strong running for you now days. Was your DW always a runner?

Spareribs, I admire the consistency of your running schedule. I am sorry to hear about your cold front coming in.  Around here we are looking at cloudy and low 30s all week.

A quick post here to share this picture we took yesterday with Mike and Sue (rasmussenmp) while skiing in the Methow Valley. We had a fabulous time with them. We were honored to have been invited to be part their family outing with their son, DIL, and their son's family in law. Dinner was cooked by their son and DIL,  and it was delicious!!. The whole day was a great fun. Thanks for the good beer and wine, Mike.

Sue, Mike, Posie, Paul, and their son's FIL

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai nice pic and to answer  your question I've been running for 22 years 18 with the club and my wife started about 15 years ago.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Jay, your racewalking has nothing in common with my walk breaks.  Your racewalking pace is better than my running pace and, when I do take a walk break, I'm almost at a standstill.  Sarge, good job in your 5K.

Nice long runs and walks for Jay and Sarge.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and there was some wind.  There was also still some ice on the roads.  I gambled on going out without my Yaks and was ok.  I did 3 miles at an 11:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

A pretty thin daily so far.  Maybe the west coast RAers will save us!

coatwalker you might yet regret noting my missing the "s" in your handle!    Also, for the record 24 and pleasant never belong together in the same sentence.

Sarge pretty incredible 5k especially after having done a run earlier in the day.

Spareribs I am going to second your statement about walk breaks.  My marathon routine includes walking the water stops from the very first one on.  I think it is quite helpful.

Mariposai great picture!  It looks like you all had a great time.

tselbs I find that unless there is a good half inch plus of packed snow YakTrax are more hassle than benefit.  Plus, if you end up on a lot of pavement they tend to break pretty quickly.  I would have made the same call as you.

Mike E here is hoping you survive all the TM running you anticipate.

evanflein I generally go out with my relay race night running gear if any part of the run will be in darkness or twilight.  I also go prepared to dive off the road if a driver somehow manages to ignore the blinking lights, headlamp and reflective clothing.   I think tetsujin209 is right about drivers doing who knows what as they barrel towards runners.   Do some people drive with their eyes closed? 

I ran yesterday so no run for me today.  An hour on the elliptical instead.  Funny but my hamstrings are feeling better the last few days than since I can remember.  I have no idea if it is an illusion or somehow they decided to do a bit of spontaneous repair work.  I am hoping for the latter!  Either way, I was looking at my calendar and the first race in the local winter series called the Boston Buildup is Saturday with a 10k.  I figure I will use it to calculate my tempo pace for the next few weeks as I ramp marathon training again.  Of course, I still have to pick a date for a marathon although it seems that my travel schedule this spring will not leave me that many options.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A break in the Pat's game, so I can type a little.  Our DD drop off at the airport went well, if very early.  I had some miles that were expiring, so she was forced to travel 1st class.  I don't get that very often.  But it ended up being not a bad deal as she got two free checked bags and extra weight since one was 55 lbs.  got back home about 6am and went back to sleep for a couple of hours.  Then another 10K.  After 5 in the last 9 days, they're starting to feel pretty easy.  Time to start figuring out the next race and pick a training plan.

Nice 5K time Sarge.  Especially after a double length warmup.

Nice 10er, Jay.  Quite a bit warmer down south (and several hours later)--it was 35 when I finally made it out.  Almost decided to wear shorts, but with a little bit of breeze, the tights felt pretty good.

DD gave me a pair of Nike compression socks for Christmas.  She forgot to take off the price tag--$35 for a pair of socks??   They better knock a minute off my pace at the very least.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Lovely 8 mile run this morning, followed by a nutello/banana/toasted almond crepe. Life is good.

Jay what you consider walking and what I consider a walk break cannot be compared.

Kevin - it is the perfect gift.

Posai has the best smile!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Sue, Mike, Posie, Paul, and their son's FIL

I love this picture! Nancy you are positively radiant!  Okay, the others look pretty good, too...

No time to post because DS is waiting for me to watch Doctor Who with him..

7.2 easy-paced miles this morning in 36 degrees and light freezing rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Stumpy, your DW loves you! What a great gift! I too got  a surprise and expensive gift that I hope it will make me run better and baster. A camel-back for runners (I had wanted this for years for hiking and trail running, but I never wanted to spend the money on it) anyway, my DH gave me one for Christmas this year without even knowing that I wanted it for a while.

Twocat, they are still taking registration for Ave of the Giant! . It will be a great spring marathon!

La Tortuga, got any of that crape left?

Well, got it done! 16 miles on the snow. I am happy to say that my test run worked out OK.

Now I am hungry and ready to devour the whole fridge.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hello from the frozen plains of MN.  Our "pond" has been frozen over for quite some time and there are ice fishing houses sprouting up all over. It was 43* when I ran yesterday and -9 (feels lie -35) this morning. That arctic air was a bit shocking.  Other that going out to church and lunch, I've been holed up in my sewing room finishing the binding on a Christmas quilt.  It is for me, not a gift.  We are thinking of getting a treadmill or eliptical for the basement.  MrStarr thinks he'd use it since the TV is down there.

We had a nice Christmas with local family here for soup and snacks on Christmas Eve.  When I counted 16 adults and 6 little ones I started getting nervous.  You can't really eat soup on a plate on your lap.  MrStarr set up tables for me and got the house ready.  We were in charge of the music at church. He was asked to sing "O Holy Night" and I had a guitar, flutes, cello along with me at the piano.  I love that sont and it was a blessing to me.  DD1 was here but the other 9 in our family were with the in-laws.

Since we had leftover beer and wine I invited my coworkers over after work on Thursday.  There is still leftovers, but I guess I can still cook with the wine, but I don't really cook much anymore.

I am going to get back on a running schedule and plan a race to get me motivated. It is fun to read about everyone's training stories and races. MikeE and the quest for a sub 3...

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

That is a great picture of the Posai/Rasmussenmp group! Yes, Mariposai is very photogenic, and that's a good looking group in general so hard to go wrong. Can't remember the last time I was on XC skis....

Twocat, today I wore my reflective vest! Haven't dug out the headlamp yet, but I suppose I should find that and be ready for some dark runs if the temperatures are ok.

So.... this winter running stuff is hard. We got a bit of snow overnight, so the bikepaths that had been plowed so nice now had about an inch of cornstarchy snow on them. Not much, but just enough to increase the effort needed to run on them. And the roads I usually like to run on hadn't been plowed, but just packed down by tires so lots of ankle-twisting longitudinal ruts in the roads. Hard to explain, but it was lots of drifting left and right to find the smoothest surface. Bleh... -3 with a breeze from the North (actually had a windchill of about -12 I think), got in 8.6 miles before I had to stop because I was getting pretty frosted up and it was getting dark. Good enough for just under 42 miles this week, and less than 10 to go for 2,200 for the year!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No wonder I loved skiing so much.

erika - do you ever see any x/c skiers on your running routes up there?

The onslaught of Winter Olympic commercials is already underway.

I kind of like the Olympic music theme though which is the same as from  Jim McKay days.

TomS - forget about jay; your walk break pace is faster than my running pace.

Of course, you're six months younger. .

When I do take a walk break, ziggi's rocks are faster than I am.

However,  I'll always appreciate the Gallow-walking pacer in the 2001 San Diego Marathon who ensured my last sub-four hour finish. Those were the days. Enjoy them all. They never come again but sure help make these days even better. .

Starr - NPR was droning on this morning about the crappy ice fishing.

Better than crappy running I guess, or should I say the carpy crappy fishing?

With the building rocking today from the roars at every Seahawk advance (and Rams retreat) gping on about a half-mile away, my DD calls down to pick up some AFC West t-shirts and caps.  Since the t-shirts I end up with usually cost in the $100 range and have lots of advertising on them, I guess I was the only one in the team store who thought $28 was a good deal.  oh well.

With even more of an adversion to cold weather running and winter training than mine, the month of May will probably be too early for wondercat to be in marathon shape but maybe he can come out anyway and check out the scenery for future reference.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, no skiers, but today's run was done by following some fat tire bike tracks (nice) and seeing what looked like a sled being pulled, and later saw a couple frosty runners pulling sleds behind them with packs or something on board. I didn't stop to ask what they were pulling or what they were training for, just said "hi" and kept going.