Masters Running

Monday - 6/8 (Read 37 times)

Dave59

I went to the gym for my twice a week work out.  This starts week 3 and think my body parts are starting to wake up and are getting the hang of it.  I also ordered a pair of New Balance 890's from Running Warehouse.  I have been "going local" on all my running shoe purchases, but I got the urge and had to satisfy it it immediately. 

I'll retire a couple pair of my old Ravennas that have a few hundred miles on them and have more stability than I need.

Someone complained at our open house that humidity was too high in the house. And a day later that complaint still bugs me. I'd like to set the guy straight but I don't know who he is (because I wasn't here during the open house.) Why would anyone want to close up their house just to keep the humidity down a few degrees when it is so much nicer having everything open and fresh?  We haven't needed to turn on the furnace or AC for days, the windows are open, it is wonderful.  Yesterday it got a touch humid outside so it did inside as well.  What is wrong with some people?

Someone else didn't like the wallpaper in the entrance way and someone else said our roof was dirty. Well, having lots of trees and 30mph winds will do that occasionally.   And I thought I was a master complainer.

I don't feel much like working today but I better get in the mood so I don't fall too far behind. I'll need the vacation days when we move so I better save them.

Dave59

Every month, my daughter has been taking a picture of Riley with how old she is.  Yesterday, Riley was too busy taking the number off for my daughter to get a good picture.  She has half a dozen like this:

http://i59.tinypic.com/34ga7sy.jpg

By the way, she is holding the number 9.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - Adorable!  And yes, everyone is a critic.  They are just trying to drive the price down.  

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good sticking with it, Dave.  And cute is always so welcome on Monday morning.

......... One of my favorite house selling curveballs was when I selling my house in Springfield, MA (that same city you may recall in connection with Super Gran ) in the "McKnight Historic District," where the houses were all built around 1885 and looked like it, i.e., some variation of Victorian.  I think mine was 1888.  A woman was "very interested" except she wanted to know if there was lead paint.    You think?

.....and then when I was selling the house in Worthington, a western MA hilltown, where there was a pond in the way back (house was on 18 acres) and another potential buyer wanted to know if there were beavers in the pond.

The Red Sox won!  7 runs in the bottom of the 8th! 

Just 8+ at a very easy peasy pace, enjoying the morning.  We are having some cooler than normal temps--it still was in the 70s on my way into work this am.  Made the weekend runs a lot easier/quicker than they would have been.

Hope you have some classic June weather...and if you're not, it will be there.

grins,

A

“AND what is so rare as a day in June?
          Then, if ever, come perfect days;
          Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
          And over it softly her warm ear lays;
          Whether we look, or whether we listen,
          We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;”
          James Russell Lowell

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Tet. I have Will Shortz' personal email address.  I'll ask him if he's a runner.  You know he is a very accomplished table tennis player.  My son Travis (Prime Rib) is a good friend of a Pulitzer prize winning NY Times reporter.  He went on a tour of the Times offices with him and stopped to take a pic by Shortz' office. I doubt it's used much.  I'll post it here.

The Saint and I did an early 2-mile recovery run at the park today.  Very hot and muggy already.   Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Here you go Tet:

Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

....and Hudson the dog is a most fetching critter.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I always thought that Will Shortz would be a bit older. 

Our June weather so far has been mostly perfect with clear skies, cool mornings, and warm afternoons. And when it does rain (like today) you almost feel grateful to have an excuse not to feel like you have to be outside all the time. The downside is having to mow the lawn every 4-5 days, but at least I have yet to run the sprinklers. And we've eaten al fresco on the patio more so far this year than the last couple years combined.

As mentioned, it's rainy this morning, giving me a much-needed day off. Tomorrow it'll be biking and then a LR on Wednesday. Thursday we take off for a 10-day trip to Ottawa and Montreal.

Hope your week is off to a good start!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Tet, Mr. Shortz replied, as follows:

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your fun email.

I used to run, maybe 15-20 minutes a day ... but I gave that up for bicycling, which is easier on the body.

Now, of course, I've given that up for table tennis. Yesterday was my 977th consecutive day of play.

Hope this answers your question.

--Will

evanflein

Roch, I know what you mean about being grateful for a day of bad (or less than nice) weather as an excuse to stay inside and get some things done. I hate being inside when it's nice out! I also hate missing a nice day for running. Our weather hasn't been great so far in June (cooler and some rain) but it's really not been bad. And the cooler temps (60's) actually make for IRC so I still haven't found a day to take off.

Dave, some people are so annoying. I agree with Holly. If they can find enough things wrong or that they just don't like, they can justify offering a lower price. Don't play that game. I'd leave the windows open, too!

Speaking of shoes (hey, Dave started it), I've found these New Balance 1400's to be really comfortable, but not very durable. The v.1 pair have around 700 miles on them, but many of them are treadmill miles, very easy on the shoes. The v.2 I have are all outdoor miles, but less than 300 and the soles are almost trashed. I used to get 800-900 or more miles out of my Asics Speedstars, so these less durable shoes are a bit of a disappointment. They sure are comfy though! Anyone else have experience with a really lightweight/minimalist neutral shoe that holds up? Or am I expecting too much out of my shoes?

Ran 17.5 miles yesterday, an outstanding steady effort run with only a couple of stops for drinks and traffic. I just love it when a run goes like that! Got sprinkled on but no real rain, that came later. Felt good throughout and finally had a long run where I felt I could have kept going if I'd needed to (such as, if it was a marathon). After the good run on Saturday, I was thinking the conservation of good runs theory would cause yesterday to be a bust. Glad I was wrong! Oh, and I wore my old shoes just cuz I like the v.1 better than v.2. They're out with v.3 now, and I'm almost hesitant to try them (but I'm sure I will).

Oh, Tetsujin, the cut was just a cut. Not a new do. Sorry.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I always thought that Will Shortz would be a bit older. 

me too, and look like a serious academic mathemetician or something

and not a goofball i instantaneously know I like..

neat photo,

neat response

neat ribs.

thanks

makes all my still pretending to run worthwhile.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tall, great, speedy, 5K.  deez, sorry about the bike crash.  I'm glad there was no serious damage.  roch, nice 5K.  Holly, way to go on the 50K.  tet, good job on another marathon.  Tammy, nice 10K.  Dave, I love the picture of Riley.  Also, re the house comments - some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

Nice long runs for Dave, mari, wild, CNY, Aamos, and evan.

This morning, it was in the low 70s, there was a light wind, and noticeable humidity.  I did 5 miles at an 11:31 pace.

Saturday, my son, his father in law, and I assembled a playscape for our grandson.  I can't believe how sore I was yesterday and still today.  Below is a picture of the finished product.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's not a playscape--that's a sub-division.   But I would have loved putting it up.  JUST a bit different from the old metal swingsets we grew up on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

hello.

a Much Subdued tomwhite checking in//............I am so retired, I thought it was tuesday........

since last we spoke,

I have moved 3/4 of the 30-years of Crappe out of my store.

the way it works is thus..........3-4 hours packing/hurt the rest of the day.........rest one day, repeat

=========

since last Saturday

I have logged 3 1/2 hours of poolrunning,,,,,,,,no biking because I can't get my leg over the seat.

just finished

30-min of ''Crutch Jogging''..........have no idea how The Leg is going to reward me for THAT one.

.............initial appt with surgeon June 19th,

surgery on first opening.......

...........sekret confession>>>>I laced up my Vomero 6's for the CrutchJog, felt like Old Times

AND

have a pristine box of Adidas Adistar Cushion 6's waiting to ''jog'' post-surgery Smile

.................good running guys,

I'm doing more packing tomorrow,

so will post again when I'm out of Traction.

.........................meantime, tell tet I said ''GANBAREEEEEE''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

That's not a playscape--that's a sub-division.   

It does look awesome, though!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."