Masters Running

Mardi Gras Tuesday Runs and Workouts (Read 503 times)

Happy Fat Tuesday everyone - no disrespect intended. Beware of too much partying. Normally Tuesday would be Interval day, but seeing as I just ran a hard 20 miles just two days ago, it seemed wise to be cautious. So I decided to run an easy paced 9 miles and just go with the flow. That ended up being 1:18 (8:45 pace) with Miles 4 through 9 all at MP and the average HR at only 141. That is my easy HR limit. I don't think I'll ever understand this sport ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good runs and great lessons learned here too. Six miles at 6 a.m. for me---not timing these yet, but the run felt smooth for the first time in a long time. I also feel as if all the core work is really making a difference and I can hold form better. It was 17º and the ice wasn’t as bad---a veritable heat wave! I was glad to get the miles in since I have to jump into the car now and head to the Cape for a meeting and then into Boston and back home for dinner. Lots of driving this week. Breger, looks like my Florida trip is now March 18 and 19. Will you be back from skiing? You are running so well and it's not so mysterious---you have been working at it and each year informs the next. If you map your progress across a few years and not discreet marathon training cycles, it seems pretty clear to me! CNYrunner

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hey! Who you callin' fat!? Big grin Brrrrrr...... 9° with a -4 windchill this morning. The snow was just sparkling under the clear star-studded sky. Brinkley and I were out for 4 miles this morning. 9:47 avg. pace - 165 avg. HR I was pretty happy with my steady splits. 9:49 / 155 9:47 / 165 9:39 / 172 9:50 / 172 Happy "fat" Tuesday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Cold morning here, too, at 19°F. Nice runs Bill, Karin and Mary! As intervals go, 5x600m is relatively easy. 5x600m, 90 sec intervals 2:28(163),2:24(164),2:18(169),2:26(173),2:27(169) Avg pace for the sessions was about 6:31/mi, but 600m repeats are pretty short so it's easy to go fast for them. 8.1 miles, 1:04:09, 7:55/mi, AHR 154 (77%mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs! WRFB.. so the intervals start.. nice debut! Cold here too 22° 8.8 mile hilly progression run consisting of 4 x 2.2 mile loops: 8:42 (163), 8:11 (155), 7:59 (152), 7:43 (154) (1:11:45 overall (8:09 pace, AHR 156))

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

CNY, Yes, I'll be back in town by then. Send me a private email as the dates get closer at my email address breger1 at bellsouth dot net and we'll see what we can work out. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Happy Fat Tuesday Eat and Drink Up !!!!! Had a nice 6 miler last night at a moderate effort followed by 4 hill repeats. Hit the gym this morning.....Core....2 mi on the readmill......Core. Very nice work out. I think I'm recovered from my weekend "Joy Ride". scheduling the Pick Up today to have the alignment checked. It's a '98 Ford F150.....6 banger with a manual Tranny. Just under 100,000 miles. It's been paid for for years and I only have Liability on it so looks like I'll keep the new dents. Black eye Bill, Probably a good call to skip the intervals. I know it'd take me more than two days to recover from a 20 miler, nice run by the way......It's been a long time since I've run 20 miles and I don't see any planned in the future either but all you marathoners here are starting to wear off on me. Good Master Runs to All !!!
                  Happy Fat Tuesday morning, all! Good kickoff run, Bill! CNY - another good run! Stay safe on the road today - that is a lot of driving! ((((((twocat)))))) - throwing virtual beads to you as well. PJ - hats off to you for mentoring a youngster - that is super! deez - hope you get the OK to start training for that sprint tri! 16 degrees with a stiff headwind here this morning. This weather is just going to have to give us a break sometime. 6.5 tempo miles on the TM this morning. Average heart rate is finally coming down, so the basebuilding is not for naught. An eagle carrying a dead squirrel flew over the car as DH and I left work yesterday afternoon- what a magnificent bird. Had my first session with the Hospice Bereavement support group last night - cried through most of the one and a half hours, but I wasn't alone. DH bought a case of Mardi Gras beads that we are passing out at work today. Everyone have a great day - virtual Hurricanes for all - how about we meet at Pat O'Briens???

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

It's been paid for for years and I only have Liability on it so looks like I'll keep the new dents. Black eye
                    Eh, people will give you a little more space on the road. Wink dg, I signed up for the Rehoboth Beach (DE) Marathon Nov. 21. My husband is all excited (maybe cause of the early sign up discount Confused ). I reminded him we have no idea if I can do this. I believe I can, and plan on it, but I told him to save the excitement for the finish line. Spending the money is easy. Delivering the results will be harder. Nice thing is that our friends live there. He's a former runner, including Boston. Doesn't run now. His wife is hoping that perhaps my going for this will reignite his interest in running. I hope so too. Today. Hmm. It's a rest-from-running day. I think I have yoga and a date with my foam roller scheduled. That's it. Oh yeah, I did do 2 mi on the treadmill last night -- just because well, I wanted to sweat a bit of this cold out. Sweet relief. My cold symptoms totally paused for those 2 miles. Aha! One reason to prefer the treadmill over outside...no running nose!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Good morning folks, A cold morning here...22F, I think that I under dressed. 10.15 miles of hills @ 9:21 pace.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Lots of great runs already this morning. Mary - it's cold here as well. 7° with a nice breeze. I'm not sure spring is coming anytime soon. I went out for 5 miles, 9:41 pace. After the substantial snowfall last weekend, the roads are still ice covered and slippery. Has anyone else ever fallen and broken/sprained something? How long does it take to get over your fear of doing it again? I wore my brace on my wrist to make me feel more secure, but every time I hit a patch of ice I slowed down almost to the point of walking. I just think if you keep getting out there, eventually you'll forget about it? Confused (((Sue))) My mom's been gone almost 10 years and I still miss her a lot. Hope everyone makes Fat Tuesday live up to its name!

Marathon Maniac #957

Nono – so the insanity has dragged you in as well, heh? Smile CNYrunner - good to see you running well again. Good point about the core work. I really felt it in the middle of my back near the end of Saturday's LR - shows I was slouching too much as I fatigued. 9 miles today, including 8 x ½ mile intervals, with 1-minute recoveries. Even though it was pretty cold (19°) outside, for once it was not windy (yay!). I was aiming at 4:10 (8:20) for the intervals and was pretty close most of the time. As usual, I was surprised that I managed to do all of them. Smile Intervals: 4:05 4:08 4:10 4:09 4:05 4:11 4:12 4:09 I think I need to dig out my HR monitor and wear it on some of these runs, just to see where I am with that. Happy Fat Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Great runs around here and it is early morning. We are a blessed bunch of old folksBlush perch, great hilly progression. i am curious to know what is the grade hills for this workout today. twocat, back last fall I started implementing slow 2-3 miles recovery runs (11m/m or so for me) the day after my two key weekly workout. I personally find out that my legs are less tired and don't feel like lead when I do these recover runs. Of course the key here is slow...I have no problem in running slowWink, but I know that some people couldn't handle going at a slow pace and then the recovery run do more damage than good. 8 pre-dawn miles. I felt sproinky and sassy. Big grin It must be the yoga class from last night. Carpe diem.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

Good morning, and Happy Fat Tuesday. Must be an excuse for something. I got out a bit late this morning and ran 10!! I did not time it. Some pain in my butt but not too bad. We will see how it feels after sitting in the office. My old legs were a bit tired after a hard effort on the elliptical late yesterday ( 65 mintes, 10.5 miles), but I survived. Pregress I think. We shall see. 14 degrees, sunny ,with a strong NW wind. Heading back north to my home was a slog. Lots of snowbanks and impassable sidewalks so a bit of car dodging too. Hope everyone has a good day..
                                Like Mariposai 8 miles this morning, but that is where the similarity ends. My run was neither sproinky nor sassy, but it is miles in the bank. It also put me over 100 for the month with still 4 more days in an abbreviated month. This is the first time since last June and July that I have put together back to back 100 mile months. School work is piling up so I am getting a little stressed about that, but I keep repeating my mantra, only a few more weeks.