Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.24.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just a walk-by this morning; I have an early meeting and a busy couple of days ahead.

4.8 racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning. At 4F, it was a couple of degrees warmer than yesterday, but the wind was stronger (WC at -18), so it wasn't all that much fun out there. I tried to stay with the wind as much as possible, but I still haven't figured out how to go with the wind the whole time and still finish up at the same place I started.

Have a greta Friday! Good luck and have fun in your races this weekend Ilene, C-R, and NHLA!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

NHLA

Too darn cold.  This is a Tai Chi day for me. Using this cold snap as a taper. I got a high ankle strain when I stepped in a vol hole sprinting with the dog. Not running for four days has really helped. I will know after separate right leg posture if I can putt 100% wt. on left foot and spin.

Good luck C-R.

Is a coastwalker the same as a bankwalker?  I climb up to 2600' and look at the flag and see witch way the wind is blowing. I take off with the wind at my back then run behind the mts to stay out of the wind. I can stay out of the wind till the last mile.

Way to get out there Coastwalker!

Survived my Chilly Cheeks 10 mile challenge on Sat. 11F w/wc -10? 1/2 inch of fresh powder actually helped because the whole course was ice. When possible we ran in the snow drifts. So I finished in 1:26:18, 4 minutes slower than last year, but happy I didn't hurt myself.  We then drove straight to Cleveland, cleaned up at our hotel then went to dinner in Little Italy.  Our kids bought us tickets to the world renowned Cleveland Orchestra for Saturday evening. Shopping at Trader Joe's on Sunday before the 80 mile drive home.  Made for a very nice weekend.

I wish we could send our expected snow out to California!

Holly I carry a extra pair of cheap gloves in the car for pumping gas etc. Also a heavy weight bright orange vest in case of a break down.

Stay warm and safe!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Dave59

5 miles on the basement treadmill for me this morning.  About 4 of those at my hoped for half marathon pace.

A week from today I leave for Tallahassee.  It better warm up down there by then!  The odds of actually moving there are probably slim, but I may do some research on towns around the area.  Cindy wants to retiree at the end of this year and we are going to try to sell this house (that is too big for just the 2 of us).  Since I can work from anywhere we have talked about moving to Florida to help out for a year or so.  My daughter is expecting another little person to arrive in September and it would be fun to be down there to assist.

Speaking of selling, the contractor just showed up and needs help moving stuff.....   (We've started fixing up to get ready.)

About to go wheels up here in LA and head homeward. I had three great days of running in shorts without ice fears. Oh and great work stuff too!

12 miles yesterday in Santa Monica and 6 miles this am in Burbank.

Add me to the list sending Ribs admiration and well wishes.

good luck to all the racers and TGIF all!

King of PhotoShop

I remember so many, many runs when I lived in the northeast when the only unprotected part of my body was my face.  I just ran through it. But I was also younger, hungrier and crazier in those days.  Today I went out, again in tights, low 20's out and no wind. Not bad at all. But very soon my face started to really hurt, so I quit and finished at the Y.

One thing about age is that you also lose the desire to fight the elements. I'm not really training for anything and it was easy to quit. I would never have done that in my 30's or 40's.

Yesterday the Saint and I had our visit with the urologist, who told us that bad news that we are past the "active surveillance" stage in which we would just monitor the cancer growth.  Our options now are to take an active approach to dealing with the cancer, and that means either radiation therapy or surgery. As the dr. is himself a surgeon he was concerned not to sway us toward surgery so is referring us to a radiation oncologist before we make any decisions.  We have time, so we are studying up on all this and preparing questions to ask. Don't mean to bore you with all this downer medical stuff but I thought I would keep you updated rather than in the dark.  You are all so kind and supportive.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

not boring us Ribs. I am interested in hearing what your options are, etc. Sounds like a great doc you have that is ensuring you make the best choice.

hmm . . . pumping gas? I had to do that once, over a year ago, when I was in California.

got in a couple miles on the trails when I got home yesterday. Had what I think is my last tx on my calf - another intense "stripping" massage, but the fact that it didn't hurt nearly has much as it has in the past means the tissues are healing up nicely. I might get in a run during my lunch hour and then at some point over the wknd, I want to try out about a 5 mile run and see how it feels.

Tammy

evanflein

Thanks for the update , Ribs. And good for your doc to point out the possible influence and give you other choices. I know what you mean about backing off when there's no point in pushing it. Not having an active training goal gives you the flexibility of making smart choices!

Speaking of that, we were told to stay home today because of the icy roads, so not running yesterday was fine and I can do something later today.

Tammy, I forgot for a minute why you haven't pumped gas. There's at least one other state that has that law, too, right? Can't remember what state though.

another grandbaby, Dave! What shoes Annabelle think of that news?

janie b good

3.29 t-mill miles at the gym.  my legs felt like cement today.  not sure why?

dave, FL sounds like heaven!  I'm going in march for a conference and cannot wait!  bring on the sunshine...

ribs, thanks for the update.  we worry!

tammy, no gas pumping?? ... what?!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Dave, wow you slipped that one in there....hope everything goes well and Annabelle gets a new playmate.

Ribs, treatment options are so much better these days than just 10 years ago.  Remember to grow a mustache next November, for Movember. And, I had a hard time picturing you in tights.

I read something shocking, this current generation is the first predicted not to live longer than their parents.  Due to obesity.

5.2 miles in the 36F, damp, dark, cold fog at 6am.  It was nice.  I saw some stars.  And I did the last mile in 9:12, which felt like 10K pace, hopefully.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Ribs - It sounds like you have a good doc.  Will be keeping you in my prayers.   Thank you for sharing your journey and knowledge.

While the rest of your are freezing your buns off, the weather here just keeps getting weirder and weirder . . . . .

This morning here in Eureka, between 6:00 and 7:00, it was in the very high 40s, bordering on 50, while less than 10 miles north in Arcata it was in 64-67, depending on where you at  . . . . . . . . Bi-Polar Vortex indeed.

No workout for me.  Just extra snoozing after feeding the zoo crew.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Best of luck to Ribs, whatever you decide.

Dave that sounds like quite a potential change.

My office is in a brand new building that just opened this Fall.  I just discovered that there's a nice shower on my floor.   Now I can consider working in some lunchtime runs in Richmond.

EZ 7 at lunchtime.  I waited for things to warm up a bit; I'm not as tough as Jay (wow!).  Over 20F now, which feels Spring-like these days but my road was still very slick and icy so it was a slow one.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Having family close with young one's is a blessing. Hope you can do that Dave but in the mean time enjoy the visit and warm temps.

All the best Ribs. Sounds like you are in good hands.

Busy weekend Sarge. Way to tough it out on that run.

Just a short 5 miler at lunch. Will be running with my son tonight. One of my friends checked out the XC course for tomorrow. His comment - lots of untouched snow and no ice. This should be fun. 20 degrees and 20 mph gusts predicted. I am so glad I finally found a pair of mittens that works for my hands. Saucony with inner liner and separate outer shell.

Back at it.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

4f with strong wind and Jay still went out there to get his miles in...impressive!

Good luck to the racers this weekend!

Spareribs, I was praying for wise doctors for  you and it seems like you got one. You and the Saint are in our hearts and prayers.

A  little bit over 10 miles after having a relaxing "matedrink" time this morning. 7 miles while it was snowing lightly. Then I cam home and got on the TM for 4x800m at 7:53ish pace. i did not have to go to work until 11am, so I was able to enjoy my run during the daylight.

Tonight is Friday movie night for the the Easy Pacer and I. Have you seeing any good movie lately?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

NJ doesn't allow pump your own gas.  That's my contribution for the day--no run to talk about.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.