Masters Running

Wednesday (yawn...) Daily, 9.26.12 (Read 383 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Well, I made it through the day yesterday, without hypnotism (although I may give that a shot - thanks, TomW), but with a quick 15-min. refresher nap at lunch. Last night's meeting was a struggle, as I feared. We started at 7, and didn't get an MTA (motion to adjourn) until 11. The members of the board who were able to attend last night are good, but are not our most vocal or forceful proponents, so I didn't get all that I would have liked. So it goes. I have to keep this all in perspective; it is wetlands, stormwater management, etc., all of which is important, but it isn't life or death. I got to bed at 11:30, but still woke at 4:30 this morning. I tried getting back to sleep, but it seems that once I wake up, that's it. So no extra sleep and no workout this morning - what a waste. Thankfully, I don't have any meetings tonight, just dinner with DW, and maybe a glass of wine or two and some time on the couch with a book.

MTA - RCG, what an exciting time for you, with some interesting prospects on the horizon. As Twocat said, go after both jobs, try to get two offers, and then you'll be in the driver's seat, and can choose the job that suites you best. Meanwhile, don't you start losing sleep too!

Enjoy your Wednesday.  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

No worries Jay, I got 'ya covered today. Up at 4:30 for 5 miles before work this morning. Got a little freaked out by a car driving slowly by me that pulled into a driveway, then headed back in my direction. Turns out it was just the newspaper delivery guy. A clear dark sky filled with lots of stars and I even saw the Big Dipper!  I really love these early morning runs.

It sounds like you had a nice birthday Steve. Glad it was a good day.

Good luck with your job decision RCG. My bet is that both places will offer you a job. Isn't that usually the way it works?

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Enjoy your evening Jay.   Sounds like mine as it is our weekly "date night" and always a glass or two of wine are involved.

Hi JLynne - I am your running twin today.    5 miles under that beautiful sky.....3.5 with Brinkley and then 1.5 with B'Nellie.     I got some new shoes that feel pretty good so far, the Brooks Ghost 5.  

I am miserably behind on all the goings on, I will try to do better!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Hey all,

An easy 5.6 miles this morning. Not as cool as it has been.

Jlynne...your story reminds me that I need to place a phone call to the owner of a 2nd hand girls dress store. (Prom, home coming type dresses). My DW and youngest DD along her two 1st cousins were shopping for homecoming dresses. My daughter was approached by a man who appeared to be in his 60's. He asked her if she had a date for home coming, if she had a boy friend and then told her how pretty she was. My daughters Creep-o-meter went off and she quickly left the area and went over to where my DW and the other two girls were.

The store clerk saw my daughter quickly leave and immeadiatly went over to this guy to offer "sales assistance". She pretty much deduced that this guy was a creep and asked him to leave the store. She also called the police with a description of the guy and reported his suspicious activity. She then came over to see if DD was alright and informed them of what she had done. DW thought she was about 22- 24 years old.

I'm always skeptical...quick to give the benefit of doubt but after listening to my DD and given light that this guy was "shopping for the latest jeans" in a store clearly marked as young miss 2nd hand dresses and that a 3rd party felt the same I'm sticking with creep.

No running for me today.  But if you need a break take a look at the reviews for this product on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MSA9AQ/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=insta0c-20

Warning:  Do not open that link while drinking or eating anything!  You have been warned!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jay, I also have that waking-early problem sometimes and, even though I am a minimalist on medication, I finally asked my doctor for some pharmaceutical aid. It really helps me get a full night's restful sleep on the now-rare occasions when I need it.

Dave59, related to yesterday's banana slicer, they had a news story recently about a store selling pre-peeled bananas (on a cardboard tray with shrink wrap). How ridiculous to try to improve on nature's best-wrapped fruit! Needless to say, it hasn't gone over too well. Seems like they'd turn brown and mushy pretty quickly too.

My last run before the weekend was a decent 5.3 miles on a muggy, overcast morning. It was also a good 20 degrees warmer than Monday's run and I was not surprisingly overdressed for it. It will be pretty chilly for the start of Sunday's HM, but since I pass my street at about the 3-mile mark I can start out with a warm layer and hand it off to my DW on the way past.

Have a good hump day, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

twocat - that is hilarious!

mariposai - I'm sorry the air quality is so horrible your way. My neighbor is a reserve firefighter and he's been up there fighting that fire for a few wks now - prior to that he was at a Central Oregon fire for almost a month. (oh, you remember my friend Laura, right? it's her husband).

got in a short run last night with the dogs. only 2.8 miles. Will run tonight also and then off tomorrow for David's XC meet.  

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

No running for me today.  But if you need a break take a look at the reviews for this product on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MSA9AQ/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=insta0c-20

Warning:  Do not open that link while drinking or eating anything!  You have been warned!

You had me at:

I tried the banana slicer and found it unacceptable. As shown in the picture, the slices is curved from left to right. All of my bananas are bent the other way.

Snork!

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning in a blustery 62 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Twocat - SPEW!!!

SLO - creep-o-meters are never faulty, in my experience.

A refreshing 50F this morning, with lots of humidity.  At the end of my run (4.2 miles very easy), I ran into a patch of dense fog.  It was neat how it felt and tasted different than the air I had been running in.

Mariposai, I find when I run less, I lose my running mojo, maybe that is part of your funk.  So hopefully when the weather clears up, you'll be enthusiastic again.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Back from an absolutely unbelievable 4 days in Barcelona.  I am at a loss to describe just how fabulous it was.  The 4-day Festival was awesome, the people were both friendly and beautiful, and the sights were spectacular.  I'll get some pictures posted at some point.  Most everyone speaks some level of broken English so language was never a problem.  Jet lag was not a problem - in either direction.

Too bad I didn't run at all. There were some obviously amazing running routes.  And a LOT of people out running - many of them were quite fast too.  A very athletic city.

I did see a couple of lovely young Spanish senoritas who were sporting Batman shirts.  I soooo wanted to take their pictures and send it to the BirthdayBatman.  But I didn't want to come across as some Sleezy old American dude and set off their Creepo-meters so discretion won out.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

A blessed Yom Kippur to you.

Slo - Kudos to that young woman for confronting El Creepo.  She is to be commended for taking appropriate action.

TK - . . . . there are no words . . . .

7 miles with fartleks of various durations and speeds thrown in here and there under a crisp, clear predawn sky.  Very pretty and peaceful. 

[Rant On]

So there are two horses in the pastureland across from our house.  I use the term pastureland loosely because although it's a huge open field, there is no grass to eat as the horses have taken it all down to the brown nubs.  At one point last year there were three horses, but due to neglect, one (which was already a rescue) was removed from the property, and whoever was responsible for the remaining two started feeding them regularly.

Fast forward a year, and about a month ago regular feeding stopped.  I called Animal Control after they hadn't been fed in over a week.  A few days later, a bale of hay shows up and the horses are being fed again - for a week.  Last Wednesday, after another week and a half of no feeding, I wrote the stock deputy a polite but to-the-point letter basically stating that I  intend to be a thorn in somebody's side until these horses are taken care of appropriately.  I stated I was under no delusion that he didn't have worse animal issues to deal with throughout the county, but this issue was in my own front yard and I couldn't ignore it.  I even offered to help with the feeding if the issue for those responsible was getting to the property 2x a day.  No response, however, sometime between Monday evening and early Tuesday morning, a bale of alfalfa showed up but none had been fed to the horses.  When they still hadn't been fed by the time I left for work yesterday, I fed them myself.  Last night and this morning they'd been fed.

I really hope that the responsible party(ies) has been told get his/her act together because people are watching and that they do the humane thing.  If they don't want the responsibility of the horses, then get rid of them, but don't let them starve.

[Rant Off]  Okay, I feel better . . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

{{{hungry horses}}}

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

that's awful Leslie - I'm glad you are watching them and taking the time to feed them. Hopefully, they'll just get placed with a rescue organization.

not sure if this news would have made it down your way, but yesterday a farm in Cave Junction confiscated over 200 animals, with about 170 of them being miniature horses - a case of animal hoarding/neglect. Every horse has bad health issues. the photos they showed were awful and they weren't even showing the bad ones. Sad

Welcome Back Bill! I was just thinking of you today and figuring you'd be back by now. I'm glad you enjoyed your quick trip out there.

Tammy

Tammy - No that news hasn't made it down this far yet.  That's horrible!  To abuse those who can't help themselves (animal or human) is absolutely unforgivable and incomprehensible to me.

Off to do transcription . . . . still . . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Enkepahlin, I think I am just reserving my mojo for when you visit us. We are all looking forward to having you here. Remember our assignment is to hand out race package on Friday night and then up early in the morning to work on the course signage....post race party: Ribs party at Posie's den.

Twocat, I think you have way too much time in your hands Joking...lol.

Bregercito, those batman girls would have enjoyed being photographed by a sharming "old American". I can't wait to see the pictures! Yes, I was in Barcelona for almost a week and really enjoyed running for miles here and there and every where. Welcome back.

Fattossig, i can almost feel the crispy air coming out of your posting! {{{Hungry Horses}}}.

Tetsujin, thanks for the greates Japanesse gift ever!!! I can't wait for the Autumn Leaf run when I am planning to use my stylish new running attire! 

Ok, I wish I can go on with my kuddos, but I am dead tired now. My day at work was filled with meetings and rendering workshops. I did run 4 miles under almost clear sky this morning (Tamster, please thank your fire fighter friend for us all). I left work at 4 since I did not have a lunch break. I then got on carmen, the bike, and peddled for 5 miles to my board meeting. Lead the meeting where we had to make some tough decisions, and  then biked back home.

Now ready for round two tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard