Masters Running

Happy FRIDAY 3/27 Runs and Rests (Read 427 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Masters!!! I really am listening to my body today and taking a rest day. It has been 6 days in a row of running this week and my knees feel a tiny bit sore, so I will rest them today. I was feeling that I should do this last night ..... but I still laid out my clothes for a short run this morning. A good nights sleep helped me come to my senses. Wink Happy Friday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Mary, way to be smart about listening to your body...I too am trying to do the same thing. 7 more easy miles last night - 8:46 ave pace - Greta run, as I kept having to slow myself down Hey everyone...I want you to do something to your co worker - friends- or family today... it's really funny and I do it all the time. Walk up to a person and simply say with a straight face "did ya hear about what happened" Then simply turn around with the same serious face and walk away...don't say anything when they say "what, hey what happened" LOL, they will bug the heck out you the whole day out of curiosity Big grin. Sorry to say this, but for what ever reasons, this seems to bug woman more than men..but it still gets men to. Then after doing this, everyone will come up to you alll day and ask all sorts of questions, which you just don't answer. Also, I paged myself over the intercom a few times yesterday. People kept telling me... Tim, there must be a new guy here that sounds "just like you"... Big grin I always think. Hope everyone has a Blessed and Wonderful Day.....TGIF...This IS going to be a winning kinda day....heck, why not Huh!! Silly TimmiBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, you need to talk to someone ... Smile Unlike that overachiever Mary, yesterday and today are the first back-to-back running days I've done in over a month. Normally this would have been cross-training day, but this weekend is looking busy (especially early when I run) and a run may not happen. Besides, I just felt like running today. So out for what was planned to be an easy MLR - not wanting to get too ambitious after yesterdays Fast Tempos. So smooth and easy does it. 12.25 miles in 1:46 (8:41). Our typical March winds are howling. The with-the-wind miles were below MP, the into-the-wind miles were above MP. I took a tumble at mile 9 where a tree root had pushed up the sidewalk and I didn't see it. Road Rash but nothing else. Have a great day! (And weekend!) Bill PS: My 100 mile relay Team cancelled out.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

biketm I think you need more to do each day! Wink breger1 I hate road rash! Glad to hear it was not any more serious than that. Still, no fun getting skinned. Add to that the cancellation of your relay team and you get the sympathy vote of the day award so far. Hey maybe you just run all 100 miles on your own? Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning, all! Mary - good for you! Sleeping in is heavenly - especially after a hard week. Breger - hope the road rash isn't serious. I was just thinking that it's been awhile since I took a tumble during a run. Denise - have a wonderful weekend getaway with your DH! Thinking it would be raining this morning, I planned to do an easy recovery run on the TM. When I woke up, the rain was gone, and it was in the 40's - too good to pass up ;-). 7 hilly miles along the Sound - 157 AHR. Nice to be out in shorts for a change. Wishing our weekend racers fleet feet. Good weekend and good runs to everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, 7.24 miles of hills @ 8:52 pace this morning. I watched Quantum of Solace last night and it was a great action flick but I have a tough time understanding how 007 and the bad guys seems to run so fast in those fancy Italian shoes....especially the scene in the first part of the film when they are running up and off buildings...Smile Good running everyone

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Out for an easy 6 last night with my youngest DD along side on her bike. It was the pool this morning. A nice 10 min warm up, drills then some 250 yd hard repeats.....great work out. Slow morning but it will be a busy afternoon.......forecast calls for 3-6" of snow starting Sat afternoon thru Sat night. I'm planning on running a 4 mile race Sunday morning. Could be interesting.
                  Good Morning! Sorry about the road rash Bill. That's usually my trick---glad all else is okay. Nice running. Tim, Tim, Tim---so do your colleagues call in sick on April 1? Good listening Mary! Twocat, I keep meaning to say how sorry I am for your ongoing running obstacles and yet how impressed I am with your attitude. You are so supportive of others. I am already up to 19 miles this week and want to run 11-12 on the weekend, so I joined Mr. CNYrunner on his 4 mile walk. It rained all night, but the clouds were clearing and it was already 39º when we headed out at 7:15. The morning is full of phone calls and then I have to submit to some dental torture. An old filling and a piece of one of my molars came out in the midst of a client presentation I was giving yesterday. I tried not to skip a beat and made it through without widening my eyes too much like a cartoon character or spitting on the audience. I'll be happy to get this fixed as I haven't eaten much since breakfast yesterday. bleh. TGIF Hi Sue! Hey SLO-HAND! Hi Peter (what action in Quantum of Solace? I just gaze at Daniel Craig Blush....who needs a plot?!)
                  dg.

good morning! smart, Mary! UA Bill, I'm sorry about your relay. And about your tumble. Nice run. Greta run last night, Tim. Good morning Twocat. Sue, I'd love to see pictures of your running route. I'll try to manage a quick post of my morning.. 4.01 miles, ave. pace 9:17, max 7:11. that's the best I've seen in a while! Happy, & relieved. My pace seems to be getting a little faster with the same PRE. phew. ahr 164, max 180. miles were 9:49, 9:008, 9:05, & 8:56. I did a few... Holly, what did you call them. Pickups? Hmm. That sounds funny. Anyway, just 4 of those after the 3rd mile.. they went ok. I stopped as soon as there was a little pain, & just finished the mile. Listening to my PT. 17 min. on the elliptical, & then lower body stuff, weight machines, free weights. The usual stability ball things & that was that.

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill – those sidewalk cracks can be dangerous...glad you didn’t come out worse for wear. Sorry to hear about your relay team. Those relays look like a blast. CNYrunner - sorry for your dental torture. My teeth are my weak spot, and I'd hate to think what I have spent trying to hold onto them. Dg - you mean the things I call "surges?" No run for me today, no x-training, nada. Hey, if you can’t be a slug during taper, when CAN you be? Big grin I even set my alarm to 6:00 am (!) so I could sleep in late and be REALLY slothful. However, my plan was foiled by DS’s alarm clock going off at 5:30 in the next room (normally set for 6:00), and Max the Overly Affectionate Cat using my leg for his balance beam act. Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Road rash to dental torture...some tough times out there today. Mine was much more pleasant. Easy 6 miles exploring the Fell's Point and Canton neighborhoods of Baltimore. Once you get beyond the tourist strips it's an interesting working class area that somehow seems stuck in the 1950s or so. An old-fashioned neigborhood tavern on many corners, big posters for tonight's "prize fight," and so on. The kind of place where a family seafood restaurant and a sheet metal company share a building. Also went up to Patterson Park, a good size park with b-ball courts, baseball fields and the like. Climbing a decent hill there I looked up and was treated to the unexpected sight of beautiful gold onion domes of a Greek Orthodox church glistening in the morning sunshine. Have a good weekend. ETA: Interesting article in USA Today on Boomers' use of social networking sites, a topic that's come up here before. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2009-03-26-boomer-social-networking_N.htm

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

So sorry to open the daily and read about road rash and partially broken teeth. Though, CNY, if I were betting someone here would end up with broken teeth, I'd have had my money on Timbo with his pranks. Tongue Well, as usual, my killer pain disappeared overnight and no runner's knee at all this morning. So Renee and I went out for 6 miles. In speculative gossip, the RD for the OD Marathon must be about ready to hang himself this morning. I'm not sure the bridge has reopened yet that's somewhere around mile 3 of the course (no alternates -- it's a causeway). The road around Mile 7 is completely torn up with heavy equipment sitting all around (lots of workers, but who knows how much they'll get done by end of day today). The 3-4 block hole in the boardwalk around mi.9 is still being worked on -- no clue if they'll open a section for the runners this weekend. I think the rest of the course is OK. All three of the towns with the work going on had to grant permits for this race to happen. Do the folks comprehend the word "certified" and have they conveyed this to their subs? Hmm.....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Today is a walking, not running day, so I normally wouldn't post but I wanted to say: Nice long run, enke. I'll catch up on everything else tomorrow. TomS
                              Mary - good idea to rest your knees. Bill -- I used to get those when playing indoor soccer -- I would say, "I have an oozer". Tim! Aw, CNY, way to recover on your presentation but that stinks about the emergency dental visit. Nice to see you getting in some good miles again. Hmm, Tramps is in MD This morning was "general aerobic" on the Pfitz plan so I figured I could push it to MP. Felt sluggish the first mile but after a few I had to slow myself down a bit (not unlike Tim). 10.1 miles, 1:19:44, 7:55/mi, AHR 154 (79% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Henrun

CNY-sorry about your teeth. (((((teeth)))) Glad you're back on the road. My sore left foot suddenly cleared up. Must have been the ice, rolling it and rest. At least it's not plantar fasciitis or a stress fracture. (All the imaginary maladies I conjured). Did 7 miles yesterday with intervals and resting today. Tomorrow Marj and I will join the hordes (and I do mean hordes) on Heartbreak Hill and do 20. Saucony has even set up a temporary port-a-potty beside the Johnny Kelley statue ( I wonder about the psychological meaning of that). On Sunday (which is supposed to be very wet) we're doing a water stop for our club. We're at the 5 mile mark, so we shouldn't have to wait too long and get thoroughly drenched.