Masters Running

sunday 8/2 runs (Read 431 times)

good morning all, thought i would need a rest day after an achy afternoon following yesterday's long run, but it became a recovery run instead. 3.61 miles in 50 minutes, cooler weather though the sun peaked through to heat things up on and off. even had a few puddles to jump from the nighttime shower. followed by fjord dip... reading with envy about huckleberries and blackberries - our blackberries are just ripening here, and maybe with the little rain they'll do better than the huckleberries and raspberries which fizzled in the drought (though all those berries do create distractions from runningSmile good runs, good luck to racers, and good healing, susan

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! Some great runs and racing yesterday (woohoo Nonoruns, Mainerunnah, Teresa, Breger, Erika – great job!) I love reading about your runs, even if I’m not really running right now. I rode down to the river again, parked the bike, and then did 3 minutes run/2 minutes walk for 58 minutes. Then some more biking by the river, then back home. Total workout time was almost 2 hours (1:50). 10.14 miles biking 4.3 miles run/walk Excruciatingly slow, even for me… Big grin...but I'm okay with that. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

shhh, looks like everyone is sleeping in around here! Blush
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        DickyG

Some great racing yesterday...looking forward to reading some reports (we can expect Twocat's report sometime in early 2012). Bregar's race: "Other than right at the start, no one passed me the whole race. I passed probably 15 runners on the last lap. Final time 23:44 - 7:39 min/mile avg." That's just a super effort, my man...in this H&H to kill 'em in the last mile like that...hat's off. (I'm guessing your 2-mile warmup was 20 minutes, not 20 seconds?) Sarge: 7 1/2 miles in the heat? Seems like you're progressing well ahead of schedule...way to go. Tough way to lose a game...sounds like the pitcher knocked it down purely on reflex...couple feet either way and you guys win... I mentioned our win the other night because even though we usually hold our own in senior tourneys, we don't win too many in the city league. Our goal is usually to win 6-7 games (out of 20) and not finish in last place. This was only our 5th win of the season and only 4 games to go. Karin: Aah yes...the old fist pump at the mailbox trick..you're getting way too good. Bruce: Call it what you will, 13 miles..hilly course...sub-10 pace...good job. HandyMom: Where in SD...brother-in-law lives in Dimmock (eastern part of the state)..I've been to the Corn Palace. Maine: A PR is just super!...and to be setting PR's in your 50's...jeez..I haven't set a PR since 1981. Any leftover pizza? Teresa: A PR by 10 minutes? Wow! No running for me today..I seldom run on Sunday's unless I need the miles for a makeup day. Playing golf later on...then watching the NASCAR race this afternoon (yep...we're big NASCAR junkies...even have our own scanner that we take to the races). RedneckG
            Good morning everyone. IRC here today. Sunny, blue skies, LOW HUMIDITY Big grin and a comfortable 63F. The best part of the morning was I got out for 3 miles before I felt "the tweak." Then walked two more miles to cool down and strech out some muscles. Painfully slow 10 minute pace but hey - at least I was able to run! I'm icing my leg right now and popped a couple of Aleve so I'll keep my fingers crossed. It sure felt good to be running again. Susan - nice run this morning. I had fresh raspberries on my cereal yesterday - they were delicious. Great long workout this morning Holly. Keep at it - I think you're on the road back! With not running as much, I've been afraid to get on the scale. How are you doing? Dicky G - I've got 18 holes planned for later this morning as well. My husband and I took 3rd place in the husband/wife tournament at the club we belong to last weekend. We "ham and egged" it pretty well. Even though we're in the high handicap flight, we had a lot of fun, and even won a couple of bucks. Some great race reports yesterday. Hope Spareribs is able to check in soon and give us an update. Have a great Sunday, everyone. Jeanne
              5 fantastic miles w/DW cooler 60F today, those few degrees seemed to make a huge difference. Cool Hamstring felt greatly improved especially the 1st mile. Cross country 5k this Wednesdayhopefully I'll be able to race rather than jog. Roll eyes Maine great job 40:52 was my PR too in 1995 (40 yrs.) my one & only 10k. I was in my prime, the course was fast & the weather perfect. It's called The Peace Race, a wonderful race, but I'm always in charge of traffic control so it's just to difficult to run. Like they say " if you want a job done right do it yourself" . Wink Dicky I think that is GREAT that your team can win any against the younger teams. Get Well Ribs Have a Wonderful Sunday!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Wonderful racing yesterday! Dicky—For 10 years I lived in Richmond close enough to RIR that we could turn the race on TV, open the windows, and get surround sound! It was pretty funny. We still laugh about that every time we see an RIR race on TV. Never actually went to one, though. 18.3 miles for me. 68F and 85% humidity at the start; about 78F with lower humidity by the finish, bright sunshine, decent breeze; IRC for this time of year. It was gorgeous running down by the river. Flat/rolling hills route. Two experiments on today’s long run: 1. I usually run without gels but started to experiment today with fueling. When I did use gels I used to use the Clif Shot brand but recently learned their high level of simple sugars (as opposed to complex carbs) can be a source of stomach problems, to which I’m very susceptible. So I tried a new brand for me, GU, and used 3 gels—a huge amount for me—at miles 6/10/14 to see how I stomached it. Water only. Incredibly sweet (yuck!) but seemed to sit in my stomach okay. 2. I was feeling a little bored with long runs in the summer heat so I came up with an elaborate progression schedule to keep myself mentally engaged and see if I could ramp up past MP for a few miles late in the run. The plan was to start with 2 miles in the 9:20s, then pick up the pace by ten seconds every 2 miles (2@9:10s, 2@9:00s, 2@8:50s, etc) through the first 14 miles to MP (8:20) and finish up with 3 sub-MP miles and a cool-down jog for the rest. (Think Lennon: “We're playing those mind games together / Pushing the barriers, planting seeds.”) Mind games worked pretty well and it was actually kind of fun to try to hit the ever-changing target rates as closely as possible. Rolling hills in places made it tough to be consistent, but still, not bad eh?. Smile 1. 9:26 (115) 2. 9:09 (125) 3. 9:12 (126) 4. 9:13 (129) 5. 9:04 (132) 6. 9:05 (137) 7. 8:41 (141) 8. 8:55 (139) 9. 8:42 (145) 10. 8:42 (142—stop to refill fuel belt) 11. 8:30 (137) 12. 8:24 (144) 13. 8:20 (150) 14. 8:22 (153) 15. 8:09 (152) 16. 8:04 (157) 17. 8:04 (161) 18. 9:38 (146—cool down) It was a good exercise in discipline and pacing and a nice distraction. Demanding but quite doable.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I haven't been on the board much lately so I'll have to catch up with things later tonight. 17.27 miles of hills @ 9:09 pace on a H&H morning here in the Carolinas...then I jumped in the pool for about 1/2 hour. Everything feels good...almost liike I didn't run at all today. Enjoy the day everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

"I'm guessing your 2-mile warmup was 20 minutes, not 20 seconds?"
                    DickyG, I knew when I wrote this it was probably going to be misinterpreted. Bad writing. Hemingway has nothing to worry about. What I meant was I ran a 2 mile warmup (in 19 minutes). But the 20 seconds was meant to say that I was warmed up after 20 seconds given the H&H. Going to the gym later to get in a few recovery miles and a 1/2 hour or so of weights. The legs are still a bit sore from the 5K yesterday but not bad. I'll take it easy today. Bill ETA: ran 4 miles on the treadmill and felt surprisingly sproinky. So not as slow as I figured it would be.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great racing ths weekend! Congrats to all! Tramps.. i love progression runs! Nice job! Today I ran a loop which covers miles 10-20 of the City of Oaks Marathon route... twice. The cool thing is the second lap miles lined up with the actual Marathon miles. Check out the "heart break hills" from miles 14-20!) 20.0 miles in 2:50:37 (8:32 pace (MP+32 secs!), AHR 153) Dryer air moved in ovenight so it was71-78F with dewpoint 66-65F. Not bad with proper hydration (80 oz fluids and day before hydration like Tramps sugggested). I was amazed at how the pace was holding through the hilly terrain at these temperatures. Great run, great workout, great confidence builder. Can't wait for the fall temps! Elevation profile: Splits:

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

as it's one minute before noon, I'll say good morning to all. 4.2 miles in 38 minutes this morning. no overly ambitious attempt to go from 4.2 to 6.4 in one fell swoop, so once agian no cranky knee. added in 3 50 stride striders (including one in the last mile) that also felt pretty good. Tim--I'm on my 4th pair of adrenalines (1 gts6 and 3 7's) and have loved them from the start. my miles don't compare to yours, but I've been very happy with the time they last. I'm rotating two pair now. dg--glad to see you stopped typing right after you said it hurt Wink Teresa--WTG on the 10K PR. seems like you've managed to keep a lot of your fitness during your ankle problems. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

17 miles for me today 2:40:00 or a 9:25ish pace. Big welcome home party at my place today for my son home on leave from the Air Force. Lots to do and food to prepare. Gotta run, I mean shuffle Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Must be long run Sunday... 20 miles in 2:42:30...8:08 pace Now to watch some NASCAR!!!
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              Long run here as well---21.3 at 9:02 pace with Canada J and Dr. J. 56F and clear at 5:45 AM....rising to just 67F--perfect! Good run and good friends. Came home to brunch and extended conversations over coffee with my cousin and husband. They just departed and now I am off with the kiddo on a bike ride while Mr. CNYrunner catches some NASCAR---he'll have to meet you some day lyndenrunner! Great runs today already and some great racing yesterday! Karin
                              dg.

hi everyone. Holly, very nice workout. everything feeling ok? Jeanne, nice to hear you're able to run. Perch, are those the same hills that were a problem before? Tramps, very cool. Larry, how great that your son will be home. enjoy. Incredible long runs today! Kevin, nice of you to notice. pretty exemplary, wasn't it? Wink. As was your run. Glad your knee wasn't cranky. 4.8 mile run by the river this morning. sure was a pretty day. Smile. I was going to try to catch up, but it is too nice out to sit at a computer. enjoy your day, everybody. anyone hear anything from Ribs or the Saint?