Masters Running

Easter Monday, Master Runs (Read 569 times)

The Jogger

Morning All A nice little 3 miler with MrsRoy and Wood.......y (see, I've just made woody longer) Big grin It was a neded recovery after yesterdays long un, my back hurt a bit towards the end on that run and then I woke up with a sore back in the night, this morning though all was fine and the run was good, no back problems today.feel good and ready for tomorrow's 9. 3m 35:11 @ 11:44 pace AHR 136 61% WHR Good Runs All Roy
    dg.

morning Roy! ahem. yesterday I was going to mention how much progress you've made, today I guess I'd better! congratulations. Big grin hope your back is ok. morning everybody. sorry to have been missing for so long. I'm way behind on reading, catching up gradually.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Roy - Big grin DG – good to see you back! You’ve been missed and mentioned more than a few times. I recently went to my family doctor with 2 issues: 1. After 2 months of increased mileage (50+ weeks), and four 20-mile LRs, I was not finding it any easier, no feeling of increased endurance or fitness. 2. I don’t seem to burn many calories, in spite of such high mileage running. They ran blood tests to check for iron, potassium, and thyroid deficiency, but the tests came back within normal limits. I don’t know what this means, except perhaps 1) I suck at running in cold weather and 2) I am a small, middle-aged woman with zero metabolism. (sigh) This week, if executed as planned, will be my highest mileage week ever, and the last big week of my training. I have to admit that I am extremely discouraged with my performance and training right now. All these 50+ mile weeks, and yet I feel NO increase in endurance and fitness. I can’t put more than 2 MP miles together, and tempo paces almost kill me. I can’t seem to run 14 miles without taking walking breaks. How on earth did I run a HM in October with an ave pace of 8:15? I have NO idea. (Who was that woman?) My hopes for Boston of equaling or coming within 2 minutes of my AF Marathon time, to achieve a 2009 BQ, seem completely out of reach. Perhaps I will only do well in Fall marathons, when I can train in the warm summer months. Perhaps I am just coming up against my genetic wall, where no increase in miles will change my slug-like pace. On the positive side, I am EXTREMELY grateful that I remain thus far uninjured. Like Jules said, it’s better to be undertrained and show up at the start line than to be overtrained and get injured. So, chin-up, Holly, and quit your whining. 4.25 extremely slow miles (ave 10:47) on stoopid tired legs in 28 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all Nice long run yesterday Roy Smile Welcome back dg Holly....sorry you feel bad about your running right now. After my funky week of running last week, I have no real advice other than ....keep your chin up. I think you will be faster than you think when you get the high mileage weeks done, then taper. Just took it fairly easy over the weekend....11 easy miles Sat, and 6.8 easy Sun. Still not running well, but Sunday's run felt a lot better. I haven't been sick or anything, but maybe over training I suppose. Have a great day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, I took a rest day this morning following the eating marathon that I had yesterday...lasagna, Angus tenderlion steaks, salads, deserts... Roy, keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the successful marathon report that you'll be posting Smile DW & I are celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary today...time flies! Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning Boomers. Intervals this morning, trying to burn off the ham and "cheesy potatoes" I overindulged in yesterday. A warmup mile at 9:31 followed by 40 minutes of intervals with 9:31 rest and 8:01 work and a cool-down mile at 9:27. I never got a run in yesterday so I had a little extra sproink in the old legs today. Roy - nice run with Woo--------------dy this morning!! Wink Happy to hear your back is ok. Welcome back, dg. Holly - you are SO critical of yourself! Think about other women your age. You are probably in the best physical condition of any of them! There are women half your age who would kill to be able to run 50 miles a week. It's a sad fact that as women age, their metabolism slows down, and nothing we do can change this. You look beautiful on your picture and you can still run marathons. Ease up, Girl! You're doing great. The sun is out, the Badgers won, and work will be soooooo nice with the kids on vacation all week (I work at a high school). Good Monday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                Holly-Trust your training,you'll be fine... With that many miles under your belt and all the other core work you do...you gotta believe!!! Good to see you DG... Running in a little bit...I'll post again later... Holly-One more thing-Go back and look at that picture you posted after your BQ...holding the 3:50 sign...nuff said indeed...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  I have nothing to post as this is a rest day, but ... Holly, weather makes such a difference in our running. I can't relate to cold weather running of course. But I have to think when spring actually springs you'll get a big kick in your running and how you feel about it. It is fairly normal for marathon training to leave us with a feeling of being overwhelmed and somewhat slow - I know I do. But taper does wonders and spring fever will too. Hang in there! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Roy! Blush Your training is going so well! Welcome back DG!! Holly - don't be so hard on yourself. You described yourself as a "small woman" nuff said. As for your training - I think it will all come together in the end. Hang in there. Tim - When will your Garmin arrive? Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs. Peter!!! Enjoy your day. Nice sproinky intervals Jlynne! Scheduled rest day for me, but with the weatherman forecasting crappy weather (again) starting late tonight along with high winds, I think I'll run afterwork and sleep in again tomorrow. TTFN! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

spacityrunner

BTB: those pictures you posted in yesterdays thread are so beautiful. They caused this urban rat to long for the solitude of the countryside. Thanks for sharing them with us. And yes, I have been MIA. And I am sorry if I promised you that I wouldn't do that...but, sometimes I am poised to hit the reply button and i got nothing to say that hasn't already been said and I think, I don't need to post the same stuff. I am sorry you are injured. Rest up and heal up. You are an amazingly generous person and I wish you well. Holly: I would be surprised if you weren't feeling a bit "tired". I am glad you got those tests as they will serve as a marker for the upcoming years but you are training hard, you have had a hard winter, you are selling and buying a house and you have a family that you take care of...and oh yea, you work. Girl, I am tired just thinking about your life. You will rock at Boston. You are in good shape. (yes, I know this has already been said but BTB says I need to post, so I am posting) Mr. Ribs:what does good mean? How is your foot really? Mine is as cranky and cantankerous as it's owner. Battyman: you are a wonderful person to be the Easter Bunny for the kids in your neighborhood. Munch: you are an inspiration. Roy: Is it better to have a longer woody??? Big grin To everyone else that so generously shares of them selves here: I find much enjoyment in reading about your runs and your life. Thanks. I have been running some and swimming some. My foot seems to want to hurt. No matter what I do. And I am still stuck in the thinking that I must be doing something wrong to make it hurt. But, I know that sometimes PF can be chronic. I am hesitant to go back to the sports doc as he said the next step was a cortisone shot. I don't' want one of those. They don't always work. And if I am going to do that to myself I want to be 100% sure it will work. Oh well....sometimes I just get stuck in the decision making process. I might go for a run today. If I do, I promise, no matter how boring I think it is, I will post it.

Trails Rock!

Seems like everyone had a good weekend, including me (except for not running). CNY: You are something else with another 20-miler, plus your work & travel schedule. I am in awe. dg: Welcome back. I was just about to post a "whatever happened to?" comment here. Ribs: I remember when I was a kid, most stores were closed from noon to 3 on Good Friday, and not even restaurants were open on Easter. Of course, there was a lot less religious diversity in those days. Peter: Happy Anniversary! Holly: If you're "middle aged", what does that make me? So no more of that talk! btb: Glad you're feeling better. Dose yourself with some anti-inflammatories and you'll be back to form in no time. We had a very good weekend, with one of the best visits from our DS in a while. At least last year's family traumas are starting to recede. It looks like he might have lined up a "job" for after he graduates in a couple of months, but we're concerned that it's something that has little chance of success, so we were waffling between congratulating him and encouraging him to keep looking. I'd rather have him living back at home than struggling to live on what he's likely to earn there. I hope everyone's off to a good start to the running week!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Renee the dog

Congrats Peter & wife! Wishing you many more years together!! btb, great pics in yesterday’s thread. Well, yesterday I used the 4 hr drive (roundtrip) to take my parents’ home to ice my thigh on and off. Also, had to sway my son for about an hour in church before that…definitely worked on that tender area, in a “work it out” sort of way. Anyone else feel that they never really get injured running – they get injured in life and it gets in the way of running??!? I wasn't doing my normal routine with my parents visiting, so I'm going to blame this thigh issue on that. So, today alarm went off at 6 a.m., and I was very much in the middle of a dream. Took me an hour to get my head clear and out the door. Dog and I had a lovely 6 mi run in 55 min flat. It seems like I'm running a lot of exact times lately...it's almost spooky when I stop on mileage then look at the time and see two zeros at the end. (I already alluded to the fact I get mental the week before a race...welcome to my insanity Big grin ) Weather was perfect -- no wind, mostly cloudy, but occasional sun peeking out from the clouds to shine on the ocean and beach. It was one of those days when it looks like someone turned the ocean off -- itty bittiest waves...so lake-like! Wishing everyone a great running week!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

BTB, your pictures and post yesterday.....sweet!!!!! Thanks for starting us off Roy!!! Can't wait for you Marathon! DG!!!!! Sweet!!!!! Holly, hang in there. You may have hit a training plateau before your next advancment. Your successes have not been a fluke. The winter that never ends, has gotten a few of us in a rut. 23 years!!!! I don't know what I'm gonna do today. The Dr told me to take it easy over the weekend. That part didn't work out. I could today and Monday has been an off day this year...However, I've had a lot of non runnning days. We'll see how it goes.

SteveP

6 miles including some hills at a 7:57 pace with T...even threw in a few intervals to get the legs going... Happy Anniversary to Peter & DW !!! 23 years WOW!!!
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              seemomgo

Happy Monday all. Congrats on the 23rd anniversary Peter and Mrs!!! Good to see you again dg. Holly - I wish I could run that fast and feel worn out!!I echo what many others have said - you have what it takes!! Liz - the foot problems are the worst! I am just working through a couple problems myself, I can't believe the science involved in a foot!!!My sports Dr is amazing though and has made a huge difference! Durn high arches! btb - your pictures were beautiful yesterday! I especially like the first one with the sun coming up - the cross just visable - very inpirational! Thank you. Stevebat - listen to your Dr. He is your sidekick right now! He's got your back!!! Take it easy. Might get a few miles in today - after seeing the dr again today and readjusting the arches again. Spring break this week so I have kids around. They are easy though and usually like riding along with me while I run - or they stay home and hang out. THe beauty of kids getting older!! Enjoy!