Masters Running

Seattle Jingle bells run, anyone else? (Read 241 times)

Maniac 505

Franc? Jon? Enke? Krista? anyone up for this 5K? 2002, this was the first race I ever ran, I had just reached the point where I could run 5 miles. I asked Cool running Newbies whether I should sign up for the green wave (8 minute miles) of the red wave (10 minute miles) or something like that, at that time in my life, my mantra was, I would only run races if I could walk to the start, I was "only" a fitness jogger. so, this race once again fits my week off. I can still walk to the start, I am once again a "fitness jogger" as I rebuild my mileage and decide which group to start with. but on 14 December, I will again have bells on my shoes. anyone else??? Dave
    Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Dave, I've done the Jingle Bells the last 2 years with the kids. This year it falls on the same day as the 12K of Christmas in Kirkland, so I haven't decided yet what to do. DS1 is pushing for it ..., we'll do the green wave if we sign up...and of course I'd love the chance to meet up before the start! Francesca
      TammyinGP

I did this race once when I lived up there and just loved it! It was such a fun race to do.

Tammy

xor

I'd do it, but I'm in Texas. It is currently colder in Houston than Seattle. Boo.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - thanks and welcome back. Anyone who goes to Las Vega (or anywhere) in the company you keep is a winner in our books. <>jealous/jealous)>>> that’s great about the Jingle Bell 5K, especially since it starts right about where your seven month elliptical saga started at mile one of the 2004 Seattle Marathon. Until I started tapering all of December too, I used to do the Jingle Bells on a regular basis, . . . and have been thinking about just going over anyway to watch the mass of santa-claused/reindeery humanity flow up-and-down Fifth Avenue on the way to the I-5 Express Lane Tunnel part. In particular, this year’s winter taper is somewhat official as I’m doing it all the way to next summer, if necessary, with timbo while he recovers from a twisted foot or something. I have, however, retained a goddess exception so will be at the New Year’s Day Resolution Run and Dip with dea francesca and will be able to run the Jingle Bell too if she ends up there. Otherwise, any chances of getting the northern goddess down again for any of the holiday events? How's she doing after that bike spill? Private message to divechief - I don’t think he’s ready for it quite yet but maybe if he is able to maintain his taper through the end of the month without getting reinjured, you might tell Timbo some more about your November - June elliptical epic. He’s still under the delusion, . . I mean impression, . . . that he’ll be running again by New Year’s Day. Pretty sad, but it’s okay, he’s still young and has 30-40 more years of good running ahead, especially as he seems to be figuring out the taper part okay. ps - with more than 15,000 runners/walkers (and there's been no timing mats), it doesn't matter much what wave so I always sign up for the early red wave so there'll be a chance of some goodies still being at the finish.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Divevchief - I have already signed up for 12K's of Christmas in Kirkland!!! Pssst...Franc.....it's a great hilly race! Lots of costumes, lots of dogs. And the shirt looks pretty nice this year too. But whatever. 9:30 start time...what time is Jingle Bells??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

so is Tet running it or what? I still can't quite figure it out. Confused You are such a mystery man, Tet Tongue

Tammy

Interpreter here: Ok, I think he said "if Francesca runs it, so will I, otherwise no"

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thank you. I reserved a goddess-exemption when I agreed to taper with timmy way back in early november after his first marathon. Therefore, if italianodea, ultragoddess, or other goddess can enter it too, I'll exercise the goddess exception and Jingle Bell with the goddess(es) and divechief. Otherwise, unless it's with francesca, inky, soundi, etc. at the New Year's Day Resolution Run & Dip, it's taper time until timmy starts running again too. It's the least I can do for him, . . . unless anyone can think of something less.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

....I wonder why they had to schedule the 2 races on same day......I was really looking forward to doing them both. DS1 , Cameron really wants to do the Jingle bells, he has accumulated a great number of bells to attach to his shirt, and so have I!...DH likes the idea of Kirkland better...closer to home..... 5k..versus 12k.... photo op with Tet and Divechief versus Enke.....tough decision..... Francesca

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

franci - with some 15,000 runners/walkers wall-to-wall around Westlake Mall taking several minutes even to get running after the start (to say nothing of the gun timing they've had in the past), the Jingle Bell is more like a circus of Santa Clauses, elfs, reaindeer, etc. than the time race you'll find at Kirkland. However, the kids will likely love all the thousands of tingling bells jingling in the I-5 tunnel. Divechief's pretty tall though so we could key of him to find each other. enke - with the Jingle Bell start at 8:50 am, unless you're the goddess version of stevie ray, it might be kind of tight getting over to Kirkland by 9:30am for both. Big grin

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Dave and Jon, We're going for the Jingle Bells!!!!! I think we should meet up somewhere away from the crowd and walk to the start area. Last year it took me forever to locate Rod and Cameron after the race...it is indeed a zoo!!!!... Enke, Want to go for a run on the Sammamish River trail before the kids are out of school for winter break..? Francesca

Maniac 505

yeah!!!, franc will be at jingle bells!!! so sorry we will miss enke, and so sorry Jon, no chance we will get my favorite northern goddess down here for any of the holiday festivities. I don't think Krista has sounded yet, any other Seattle runners? any suggestions on where to meet? we could meet at my Condo, but that is about a mile walk to the start :[ Dave
                            arf

MM #405

no chance we will get my favorite northern goddess down here for any of the holiday festivities.
                              I will miss ALL of you Sad...have a great race and I wish you a wonderful holiday season hugs, arf

Maniac 505

Franc and Jon How about we meet in front of borders books on 4th and pike, It is only a couple blocks from the start, but it is off the course, and I think it will be away from the crowd. I will wear my yellow maniac hat, and a Boston marathon running jacket unless it is really cold. should make me fairly easy to pick out. any other ideas? I'm looking forward to next weekend. Dave