Masters Running

Sunday, 6.7.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great racing yesterday, Tall (yeah, going under 20 in your 1st 5k in 6 years really sucks...), Roch (congrats on the injury-free racing!), Holly (making up your own course, having a baby, and chicking a guy at the finish), and Tet (with great personal history, and ever-graceful at the finish, with a well-placed RD). Speaking of racing, it looks like Robin is going to have great weather for her Vermont half today.

Deeze, I just hate it when drivers don't pay attention, cause an accident or a spill, and then just take off. I'm so glad you are OK, that other folks had more sensitivity and stopped to check on you, and I hope you don't feel any after-shocks today.

Marj & Henry, the president of the 65+ club is an amazing, inspiring runner who is clearly leading the club by example. Congrats to her.

Yesterday's racewalking training session was terrific: I split my time between having the 'regulars' work in increasing their cadence and doing intervals, and getting a pair of newbies started with the basics of racewalking. The only downside was that I didn't have any time to do any laps for myself, but I still had a blast.

I met with one of our group who also writes a somewhat-satirical column for the local paper. She wants to do a feature on why older folks compete: Why do it, and what do they get out of it? I told her about this RA forum and you fine folks, and offered to pose the question to you. So here it is. No names will be used in the column, so what would you like me to tell her about why you, as an "older" athlete, still train and compete?

9.7 easy RW miles this morning. I have a cranky ankle again, and almost came back early, but I'm too darned stubborn sometimes. But it didn't get any worse as I went along, and I just loved touring the neighborhoods as the day got started. I'll wear my ankle brace for the rest of the day (lots 'o yard work planned), and I'm sure it'll be fine tomorrow.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

I met with one of our group who also writes a somewhat-satirical column for the local paper. She wants to do a feature on why older folks compete: Why do it, and what do they get out of it? I told her about this RA forum and you fine folks, and offered to pose the question to you. So here it is. No names will be used in the column, so what would you like me to tell her about why you, as an "older" athlete, still train and compete?

To impress the chicks...it's all about impressing the chicks.

Right on, Mike E!

I like Holly being so casual about running anything for 6-1/2 hours.

Erika, your Saturday run would have been my long run for the weekend!

Tet, good job on yet another marathon.

Amy, I don't like posting from my tablet because it's too easy to tap somewhere accidentally and lose everything. Plus the spelling "correction" goof-ups that I don't always catch.

Yet another drop-dead gorgeous morning with high 50s and clear blue skies, and all the fresh green foliage and flowers in full bloom everywhere. Felt fine after yesterday's 5K and did 6-minute run/1-minute walk intervals around the 6-mile Stoney Creek Lake loop at a decent overall pace. It was the club's monthly "Bagel Sunday" outing, so I stuck around for a while afterwards to socialize.

I only realized afterwards that I happened to be wearing an ensemble that would have made Ribs proud or been worth a "fashion report" in an RR: black shorts, red long-sleeve shirt, black socks, and shoes and hat that were black trimmed with red.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Black and red is a good combination.  Good for you.  I do that one, and I have another that is red and gray, which I like a lot.

Jay, I think it's the fact that as older runners, AG classifications still give us a chance, and I am a natural competitor anyway. Even if I get licked often, I still like putting it out there. I doubt I would run if I couldn't compete.  I was thinking the other day that ten years ago this December when I was 59, I ran the Dallas White Rock Half in 1:34:06.  I will run it again this year at age 69 and would be thrilled to break 2:10. But my effort and intensity will be the same, as will the joy of competing. Another thing for your writer friend to consider, is that for most of us older guys, we ran well as younger runners and ran some pretty good times.  We know we'll never run those times again and don't expect to. But we have them. And they can never be taken away.  I can run just about any old slow time and still know that I once was pretty decent at running.

Roch, Tselbs and a few others run at about the same pace I do today on daily runs and I look up to those guys as much as I do any young runners. And Tet is in a class by himself with those distances.

And while I'm on the subject of old and slow, the Saint and I went to Grapevine this morning and ran 8 miles at just under 11 minutes a mile. It was a new course because of rerouting due to the flooding and very hilly, but we had a lot of fun with the new challenge.  Spareribs

Slo

I don't have the qualifications to answer that.

"To see the young guys race without shirts on"....Oh, wait! Did I just type that out loud? I still compete for the challenge of just pinning on a number and testing my limits (I compete against time or myself more than anything). It's fun, and face it...the longer we keep showing up, the odds are with us! And now that Harriette Thompson (sp?) is the oldest female marathoner at 92 years-old, I have 43 years of racing ahead of me anyway.

I love the social interaction, the adrenaline rush of a road race, and bottom-line it's just fun. And yes, age -grading is awesome! And training and exercise in general is my Prozac...keeps me in shape, body and soul.

Nice 50k Holly and look like it was fun to be with friends and your team!

Ran 14 miles this morning at 8:30 pace with Iron J. Gorgeous day here too---cool morning and now deep blue skies and bright sun. I'll do some gardening and then spend the afternoon with super-granny.

Nice work Jay!

Congrats to your teammate Marj and Henry. I see her at club races and am always inspired.

evanflein

Wait... did Ribs just call the Saint "old and slow"??

But also, I don't know if I understand the "intent" behind the question. Is it that we have no chance of winning so what's the point? Well, if that's it, I've never stood a chance of winning anything other than my age group. But I can do that, and that's usually my goal. Being in the top segment of female finishers is also a goal for overall points in our local running series. If our races didn't have age groups, and our club didn't have this fun series competition, I probably would race a whole lot less than I do. I'm not super competitive (if I were I'd probably be more "serious" about my training rather than just going running), but I am competitive enough that I like to get out there and see what I can do.

It's also cool to see the older runners still out there (a marathon at 92!!!) and aim to be like them when I grow up. 

Roch, sounds like you've found a good pattern for getting some injury-free miles in. Galloway isn't for everyone, but he sure has a point for runners who need a way to modify the usual to get to their goals. Nice job, and lookin' good out there today!

Nice morning here, but we will probably cloud up some this afternoon. I worked in the garden for awhile yesterday and decided enough was enough so settled on the deck with a magazine and a snack. The sun promptly went behind a big cloud and a minute later it started hailing. I hope to have better luck today!

Henrun

At 81 I received a free entry to a prestrigeous 10K because I beat 2 other guys in my age group last year and I love the comments young runners say as they pass me such as "good job, sir" and "you're my inspiration".

To quote that famous line from the movie "Moonstruck,"  I think older people still train and compete because they fear death.  Oh wait. The question from that movie was why do men cheat?

Some good answers from you RA folks. At age 62 I'm not sure I'd call what I do "compete" any more. Just trying to stay fit and running a half marathon or tough mudder gets you outside your comfort zone.

TammyinGP

Ran a very warm 10K yesterday. time was not great (57:49) but still good enough for 2/7 AG.

Most of the fast people in my AG ran the 5K I think. I probably only would have been around 5/15 in that race.

There were some "older folks" in the 5K and, for example, a 65 yr old woman got 1st AG with a time of 31. I guess maybe that is an example of why "older athletes" are still out there training and competing. She obviously could never touch some of the faster times to compete in the overall field (15 min won it), but she can compete in her AG and I think more importantly, she's out there with a group of runners, participating in a sport she still enjoys, being amongst friends, socializing. and her applause for her 1st AG time was just as loud as the applause for the overall winner. although I know that's not why older athletes compete - neither for the applause, nor the generic ribbon that they may not even keep.  Any day where you have a foot above the ground is a good day and should be appreciated.

Tammy

Mariposai

Great racing everyone.

Tamster, way to go with you AG win.

Great question coastealker. I am curious to hear people's answers.

I am so jealous of you guys who have races to enter all year around.  It seems like my next race will be in the fall since I don't any race near me till then.

The Steady Pacer joined me for a slow 6 miler this morning before it got too hot.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

she's out there with a group of runners, participating in a sport she still enjoys, being amongst friends, socializing. and her applause for her 1st AG time was just as loud as the applause for the overall winner.

Well said!

2.8 recovery miles for me today, plus a lot of weeding of my gardens.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

I'm impressed by Mike's running and by Doug's sartorial splendor.

I compete for the money and gift cards, of course.  Seriously, the question is ageist.  Besides, most people who compete in races aren't going to win, no matter what their age.

Yesterday's lost post congratulated all the racers, complimented Carolyn and Erika (and ditto on the latest fast run), and our world travelers, mentioned several others, admitted to envying Tammy's personal coach, expressed concern about Deez, wishing her well with the heel, also two at and hamstrings.

There were pithy observations on the Belmont, the Sox, the PBS special on Frank I was watching, an explanation of how I don't have Sox TV, only radio so I didn't see the ambidextrous pitcher but why radio is superior to TV as far as baseball goes.

also described my 20 miler and how delightful it was to get to the membership run at about mile 11 and be able to do 2 loops of the course, as well as mentioning DH's participation.

acknowledged photos and cuteness of Holly (bears repeating, yes?), not to forget, tenacity.

so Sox regressing now, not so chipper but did enjoy 10 miles (bridge included) w/Speedsters and then 6 easy with Weekend Edition.  Learned Will Shortz made his own major at Indiana State in enigmology.

wondering about Ribs reaction to Robin's color combo at her half.

our Hudson is a handsome lad (not the pooch, the college student)

Had SB both days.

Tony Awards tonight, love that show.

Making pizza for DH for supper.

grins, A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

"To see the young guys race without shirts on"....Oh, wait! Did I just type that out loud? 

I posted something similar on FB Thursday after our Speedster tempo run, in response to a question about how the run was for us.  This caused the thread to devolve rapidly into a discussion, led by the men, of why the women won't run without shirts.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A bunch of guys responded that way?  Can't believe it.

And I'm not sure if why I run is for the women--most of them seem to pass me.  But then, I don't run as fast, or look as good without my shirt, as Mike does.

I'm basically competing against myself.  And hoping for that elusive AG placement.  Someday.

Today was a nice 6.8 miles along my regular route in Maine.  Under 50° and very pleasant.  Not terribly fast, but satisfying, as I ran the whole way, including the biggest hill.  The only disappointment was that the Garmin seems to have lost most of the mapping and graphing data.  The mile data is still there

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.