Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 6.1.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and welcome to June!

I'm hopeful for Jan, and am thinking that her 'doing all the right things' kept her in better stead, even if the prognosis may not be great at this point.

I meant to post yesterday, but the entire day got away from me. I had a racewalking training session in the morning, and did 5 miles before the crew arrived. After warm-ups we did about 8 100 meter sprints. We were at about :30 each, so we were moving along (for a bunch of old farts).

Today I got up at the usual time, and was out the door by about 4:15. I did 10 easy RW miles (trying to keep pace with Aamos' DH), and saw some wonderful sights: A gorgeous sunrise; two geese monitoring their furry young 'uns near a pond; a great blue heron in the same pond, stalking breakfast; a flock of geese flying up the coast in perfect formation, on their way to Maine or beyond; a jack rabbit that stood stock-still in a field by the road, hoping I'd mistake it for a rock or something; pink and purple flowers emerging on beach rose bushes (rosa rugosa); a cat diving into some road-side bushes chasing after some critter; and surfers driving up and down the coast, looking for the best place to catch early morning waves. I passed Jenness Beach and Sawyer's Beach, and thought of the history that must be behind those names to have them so memorialized. Did I ever tell you I love this place? Well, especially on days like today, I surely do.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay///....I'll agree with you except for TheGeesePart..........

===============

....30-min bike ride,,,,,,,,,,

,seat pointed in the same direction thruout,

so

I Celebrate a Small Victory

................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Got about a mile into an easy 3 mile run when my right hamstring started hurting so l walked home. Hopefully it's not anything too severe.

King of PhotoShop

Nice description Jay.  Dave, I hope that heals up for you.

Another 4.4 miles today, but this time with a 2.5 mile slow run in the middle.  I love seeing some progress each day.

Or you can retire to New York City where...
          1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan ...
          2. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a
           map.
          3. You think Central Park is "nature."
          4. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.
          5. You've worn out a car horn. (IF you have a car).
          6. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

Spareribs

Tramps

Hey, all.  I've been scarce here but plugging away at a running comeback.  Slow and steady.

Spent the day yesterday cutting brush and junk trees that had overgrown the back yard, and hauling them off to the end of the property out of sight. So I was good and rested for today's 10-miler.  ;o)  First double-digit run since mid-March but went okay.  I definitely felt the yard work, though.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like a lovely workout!

Ribs -

8 miles for me this morning, followed by Day 1 of the 30-day ab challenge over on FB.

A couple more hours working in the flowerbeds after my run.  Golf with DH and the kids on tap for later.

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I started reading back a bit but I am just too wiped out today to do a number of shout outs.  But I wanted to wish Jlynne the strength to deal with Jan's health issues however they may turn out and to give my best to Jan in hopes she recovers.

My life has recently been a bit hectic.  My DW and I returned from Brussels on Thursday.  Then on Friday had a reception dinner to attend, jet lagged and all.  Then last night was the wedding.  Clearly my DW is doing better with the jet lag than I am since she insisted we close down the party: which happened at 1:30am!  I am so exhausted now I can barely move.  Speaking of moving, I am going to have to cut down on it for a week.  My left leg was not happy about running yesterday.  I am not sure what is wrong but I have pain in the tendon in the back of the knee and some along the front outside part of the leg from just below the knee to about the middle of the leg.  I am not sure what is wrong but I know enough to tell when it involves a tendon or ligament and that is what this is.  So, I am off running until it feels all better.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Dang--I wish you people would stop hurting yourselves!  I don't know what is going on with me.  I finished that marathon last week and I was barely even sore.  I could walk up and down stairs like they were nothing.  All the pain I was feeling leading up to the marathon, in my right heel, is gone.  The Hanson's Marathon Method says to take 2 weeks off.  I am just chomping at the bit to get out there.

Tammy--I watched that 10000 with Rupp.  Man, that was a good race.  Man, I want to go for a run!

My DW has taken the summer off from her part time job....which means she is home cracking the whip on me to get things done.  I worked all day yesterday...until it rained.  I love rain.  It's raining right now..which explains why I'm on here...and the fact that she ran a quick errand.

SubDood was going to run the Minneapolis Marathon, this morning and it was cancelled!  Like I told him, I don't know how I would handle paying all the hotel costs, travel costs, and everything else that goes into getting ready for a marathon and have it cancelled.  I suppose I should be prepared, because it seems to be happening more and more, these days.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going and make it, at least, look like I tried to do something.  See ya!  And stop hurting yourselves!

5.7 miles at the horse trails.  I wanted to run 13.  I walked most of the last mile.  Stupid knee issues.  Usually it starts complaining, I walk, try it out again, it still hurts, do this a few times and then suddenly pain is gone and I can run several more miles again.  Today however, it never cooperated.  And I hadn't run in almost a week, so I don't think resting it does anything.  I think I need to run more!  But stop as soon as it starts pinging.  And do some strengthening exercises.  If anyone has advice, the pain is on the inside, lower part of the knee - feels like inflamed tissue getting rubbed or something.

Other than that - my life has been a bit busier and more stressful than usual, but nothing to complain about.  Just not able to keep up on the dailies anymore.

On Friday I went to Mt. St. Helens on a field trip with my son - and the other 320 grade 8 students and a bunch of parents.  It was a beautiful gorgeous day.  My kid actually sat beside me on the bus and walked with me most of the day - even when some cute girls would say hi to him.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...hi enke////////.....Good to see Tramps back, nice Running

.....here's a ''You know you're from Indiana if..'' for twocat......

http://www.schiesshouse.com/you_must_be_from_indiana_if.htm

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya Tramps!

Thanks for the photos, Starr.  i'll be heading out there in August for Leading Ladies.

DH took today off, Jay.

Rest up twocat, and what happened in Minneapolis that they cancelled. Mike?

game is just over, and the Tampa station even gave us some of the middle of the 8th (so good!).   Tampa games are always televised.

Can't believe it, another sweep.  wow.....happy...and congrats and best wishes, Kevin, super way to celebrate.  Didn't see you on TV, and i was looking!

oops, this is the running forum.....and I have a running comment.  so yesterday was long run day; I geared up, packed my energy bars, had my sports drink, etc. etc.     you know, the whole "prepare for the big run. "   mentally, I was a little anxious......heat, a little tired, felt I "had" to get in this run as it's 3 weeks to Grandma's, etc.......... as posted, got in 22 at 9:14 pace.

Sunday, today, I go out to the Country club (runner meeting spot) and we all tend to go out to the bridge.  (about 4 miles to there if we detour thru neighborhoods)

Since I tend to do long runs Saturday, I usually run by feel Sunday as fast/slow and long/short as I want.

No one at my pace today, so we all set out and I was on my own.

Ended up doing 3 round trips (1 mile each way) of the bridge and 16 miles total at a 8:38 pace.  Felt and feel greta.  Could have gone longer but figured that wasn't prudent.

Tell me this running thing isn't a whole lot more mental than we think!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Lightning in the area.

pfriese

A nice 10 mile run on my 10th run-iversary. Since my first 2 mile run on June 1 2004; I have run 14,877.9 miles, 55 5K races, 9 8K races, 17 10K races, 4 15K races, 2 10mile races, 24 half marathons, 4 25K races, 25 marathons, and 1 half ironman.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - 22 Saturday and then 16 today, and you felt like you could do more?  You are in awesome shape!

Guess who's coming to dinner tomorrow?   Carolyn and her DD!  So excited!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy - 22 Saturday and then 16 today, and you felt like you could do more?  You are in awesome shape!

Guess who's coming to dinner tomorrow?   Carolyn and her DD!  So excited!

They must be taking the scenic route home.

Just under 4 miles today and two days in a row (woohoo).

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.