Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 6.11.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

There is not enough time to recap yesterday's thread, so I'll just cherry-pick a bit, and apologize to the rest of you.

AAmy, I never have more than a glass of water before any workout, regardless of length or intensity. On a long workout, I may take a couple of jelly beans with me, but that's about it. Before a longish race (half marathon), I'll have some toast with PB, and maybe a cup 'o coffee about 3-4 hours before the race, and suck on a GU blok during the race. I have a Garmin 405 that I got as a gift about 4-5 years ago. It tells me what I want (time, distance, mile splits, pace, calories), so I'll keep it till it dies. I prefer to not listen to anything but what is around me and the music in my head on my workouts. But 'Phone tap' would not be on my list, if I had one.

Ribs, I love the way you mentor Hudson, and the ways he makes it work for him. Smart dad, smart kid.

Fletch, good luck with the golfers and golfing groupies.

Nice speed work, Leslie.

Mike, Melissa sounds like the perfect choice for the Principal's job. Congrats to her and to you.

Wild, the elevation chart for my local 5-mile would not be a blip on your chart! I'd have to drive to Lamerunner's part of the state to find hills like that.

Good luck with the late-season planting, Evanflein.

The cat woke me at 4:05 this morning, otherwise I might have missed my workout op. I was out the door about 10 minutes later for 5.9 RW fartlek miles. I've been feeling really slow of late, so I wanted to get in a few quick spurts. I wasn't as quick as I wanted to be, but it still felt good to push it a bit. It was 54, dry and clear this morning; IWC.

Have a greta Wednesday (what day is it??)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - still an awesome recap!

Aamos - I'll have half a banana and coffee before any run and bagel and peanut butter before a half marathon.  but i don't function without food (and coffee)

Garmin - I run by time and it's accurate enough for me. I like birds, cars, and music in my head. I spent too much time on a computer while working.  I do track biking monthly miles, but I'm not sure how accurate the odometer is!

Running later today, biking this morning in the lack of humidity

Hope everone has this IRC today

marj

Fletch

Good morning, all.

Quick post - my apologies to all that I miss.  Holly - thanks for the background info.  I still think it's awesome that you ran a 50k, regardless of how it stacks up against prior runs.  MikeE - Congrats to Melissa.  I have the utmost respect for educators (DW has been teaching for 30+ years), and especially for those that successfully make to move into school administrator positions.  Ribs - nice work with Hudson. Evanflein - sounds like a great garden! Wild - hills like that will keep you in shape.  I'm a new runner, and not familiar with all the "tools of the trade." What do you use to get the elevation profile - garmin?

3.25 miles with striders this morning.  Now off to the golf course for the day.

Happy running, everyone.

Mariposai

It is so cool to see Fletch and Irishguy fitting in with the group so well. Where is our arizona gal (I forgot her handle's name).

Aamos, read your email message here. Grins!

Erika, happy planting. I am enjoy the first fruits of my sweetpeas, baby kale should be ready to be harvested by this weekend. My arugula did not do well, neither did my green beans, so I may be having to replant them as well.

Enkie, goatboy makes me madddd.

No running today, but I sure enjoyed our meet up group last night. One of the runners decided last night that once a month we will have bonding time running, meaning we all run together as a group. It was so much fun to see the speedy guys go a mile, turn around and come back to us slow ones to run a few blocks with us and then go run fast again. 4 miles total. My legs are still shot from the marathon on Saturday, so no running for me until Saturday when I have a 10k.

Cheers

Butterfly hugs to all who need it or want it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

Good morning.  Nice morning, drier air and partly sunny, maybe 60-ish. I ran a bit over 9 miles-- around town with the hills then a lap around Dorrs Pond.  I ran into a good friend walking her dog and we ran/walked the last bit and caught up. Had to rush through shower and quick breakfast, but it is always nice to see a friend. I lucked out getting in here too; someone had brought cinnamon rolls-- not that I need them, but I was still hungry after the quck bowl of cereal. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

In keeping with my theory on Garmins, I also don't listen to music while running; I might on a TM or elliptical , but I started running long before such devices existed, so I never got used to it and don't really like stuff hanging off me while exercising. I did see someone with a waterproof  iPod yesterday swimming laps, and that looked cool. Outdoors, I like the birds etc and also like to be able to hear trafiic and other hazards. Given the inattentive drivers, one of us shoud be paying attention.

I had a funny debate with DS this morning about whether or not chipmunks make a chirping sound; there was a chipmunk sitting on one of my pots of lettuce/herbs, no doubt planning his breakfast, and every now and then he made a high pitched chirping sound-- I could see his mouth moving. DS maintained it was the birds chirping and the chipmunk was simply eating my lettuce. He seemed very adamant that the chipmunk was not chirping, but I saw him!   Odd but funny converstaion.

Great running for many of you. Don't quite have time to  do a Jay recap... but welcome to Fletch. Erika, nice trail run, and your Mancester marathon comments were very helpful. Also, I heard on NPR about some space research place in Fairbanks which might be defunded.. HAARP or something?

For Vermont, assuming I can stay in one piece, I will liikely commute.  I will double check but I don't think it is more than about 90 minutes form here.

Happy Humpday!

King of PhotoShop

I'm with Mariposai on the way Fletch and Irish seem to just fit right in here.  Welcome to both of you.

Mike E., that is quite an accomplishment for your daughter.  Good for her.

Another anecdote from Hudson by text last night.  The professor handed out a fake balance sheet of her own finances and made the point that analysts should be able to draw some inferences from studying the balance sheet, absent any other information.   Then she asked the class various questions about herself to see if they picked up any clues. She asked, "Do I have any children?"  and Hudson said "No."  She asked him why and he said, "Because you have money!" which got a laugh from the professor and the class.  True though isn't it?

Today for the first time other than Sunday's race, I started out running and didn't do any walking.  5 miles at just under 11 minute pace.  Quite happy about that.  Did a full flexibility workout at the Y afterwards and making great progress there too.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I had a funny debate with DS this morning about whether or not chipmunks make a chirping sound; there was a chipmunk sitting on one of my pots of lettuce/herbs, no doubt planning his breakfast, and every now and then he made a high pitched chirping sound-- I could see his mouth moving. DS maintained it was the birds chirping and the chipmunk was simply eating my lettuce. He seemed very adamant that the chipmunk was not chirping, but I saw him!   Odd but funny converstaion.

chipmonks sure do chirp but nothing like the chattering chirping of red squirrels I remember from those days.

Maybe TW has some tapes of 'em.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Our chipmunks chirp.

Congrats to your DD, Mike!

Wildchild's graphs always give me mild heart palpitations, and not in a good way.

My blueberry plants aren't very happy.  I think I over-watered them.  My cherry tomato plants have lots of green tomatoes, but nothing's turning red yet.  And that is the extent of my foray into the edible gardening zone this year.

We have family in town who are camping at the local KOA with kids/grandkids.  Sunday everyone came over to our house for dinner, and last night we all went to the Samoa Cookhouse for my aunt's birthday.  Between those two meals, I think my body is in shock with what I've been feeding it, consider what I haven't been eating for over 3 months.    Bleck.  Today's a core/ST day, which will happen when I get home from work.  I turned off my alarm and slept great for the next 1.5 hrs.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Congrats to Missy, Mike!! that's a major accomplishment!

I'm in awe of Hudson! Finance stuff is not my thing, so it always impresses me when someone can wrap their brains around that and make sense of it. But he has a great dad too!

Last night was David's "moving on" ceremony from middle school. gosh, I wish I could have had such a great 3 yrs at middle school! He really rocked. He won a few awards also. They re-presented him with the Rotary Student of the Year award that he won over a month ago.  He also received Outstanding Student of the Year (one boy and one girl chosen), Outstanding Athlete of the Year (1 student chosen), Super Tiger Award (about 20 students selected for this) and was the sole recipient of a college scholarship from the Masonic Lodge. We are so proud of him.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

For Vermont, assuming I can stay in one piece, I will likely commute.  I will double check but I don't think it is more than about 90 minutes form here.

Wildchild, Mike and I have rented a cabin about 12 miles from the race start.  I'm sure the others would agree that you are welcome to crash there if you like.

Mike and Tammy and Ribs (and everyone else) - proud parent moments rock!

5 easy-paced miles for me today in 65 degrees.

My MIL is arriving from CA tonight a little after 7pm.  Since the airport is near my workplace, I will work late and pick her up.  I feel so buried at work lately, I almost welcome some extra time to try to make a dent in the load....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Wildchild, Mike and I have rented a cabin about 12 miles from the race start.  I'm sure the others would agree that you are welcome to crash there if you like.

Just as long as she doesn't snore...very loud...

Henrun

Ran 8 sproinky miles this morning along the Charles and the Commonwealth Mall. Ended up at the bagel store where I bought our weekly dozen before hopping on the T for the rest of the way home. I also run without ear buds. I used to listen to my I pod but decided to return to listening to the sounds of nature and the city as well as using my runs to think "creative" thoughts. I also enjoy going Garmin free.

Welcome to the newbies.

Mike E- as a teacher I can tell you that a good principal is priceless. Congrats to your daughter.

Ribs-trying to figure out where Hudson gets his sense of humor.

I haven't run in a week. Knee seems to be healing but calf on the other side is giving me problems. May try it out today and see how it goes. Wish me luck.

chipmonks sure do chirp but nothing like the chattering chirping of red squirrels I remember from those days.

Maybe TW has some tapes of 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE&index=2&list=PL4EE3BD1E35E2E69D

since I haven't worked out in a week,,I should at least provide entertainment....

============

........no biggie,

plan to re-start over the weekend........

I will use the rest of you for Inspiration.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I've been really scattered over too many things so I just haven't been able to focus on the forum and keep up to date.  My brain apparently has a limit on the number of things it can attempt to process at any given time.  It's not really a lack of time but of brain capacity.  If that makes any sense.

Anyway, I ran 5.85 miles late this morning.  I was holding off as long as possible because of rain and by the time I went out it was pretty light.  In the middle of nowhere there was a driver's license on the middle of the road.  The address on it wasn't far away so I drove it over to the house and returned it.

Today is my and Cindy's anniversary.  After I ran I took a shower, shaved, and put on some clean underwear in case she wants to go out for dinner tonight.  I go through all that trouble so she won't regret her decision too much.  It's the least I could do, so never let it be said that I didn't do the least I could do.