Masters Running

Wed. 15 July (Read 36 times)

I don't believe there isn't a thread already started.  Jay, cute niece picture.  Holly, enjoy your family reunion.  wild and mari, happy birthday.

Nice long runs for wild, fatozzig, and mari.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was some wind.  I got in 4 miles at an 11:08 pace.

We're about to hop in the car and go meet our new grandson who is scheduled to be delivered by C-section early this afternoon.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

tselbs looks like all of the early birds flew the coup!

enkephalin I hope things continue to work out between you and Blue Eyes.  I guess it is a good sign his moniker is no long Door # whatever. 

evanflein go bird!

tomwhite congratulations on your now official retirement!  Well until your business tax return has to be filed. But then . . .

fatozzig I would love to see the reaction by most people to your "do our best to get some exercise" view of the world!  Most would call it ramping way up!

rochrunner I love shoo fly pie!  Good thing I live nowhere near Amish country.  Have fun during your visit.

HermosBoy glad to hear the interviews went well.  Good luck landing an offer.

wildchild I am happy to trade my hot and humid weather for so cold I need a jacket and gloves.  Thank you very much.  But I am glad you are having fun freezing your toes off! 

SteveP sending the skids back would seem to fall under the saying that "turnabout is fair play."  I suspect they will knock it off with the fake deposits.

No running for me today, just an hour on the elliptical.  Tomorrow I have my long run scheduled.  I will need to get going early to make the seminar I have to attend.  Unfortunately, I have to work from home today.  Unfortunate, for among a number of reasons but mostly because  now have to avoid eating despite it now being super easy to do!    I have got to drop some of the weight I put on post marathon. No eating, no eating, no eating . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Well, my excuse is:  still reeling from 3 miles of 200s last night (easy/slow alternating).  That was after 5 miles of warm up; somehow managed a 9 minute mile cooldown.  This am's 8 were really s-l-o-w.  And so was able to enjoy a beautiful sunrise, which is noticeably later these days, any other am runners agree?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

. . . somehow managed a 9 minute mile cooldown.  This am's 8 were really s-l-o-w. 

Words that will never be used by me in describing my running.

Has there been a pic of Mr. Tall and Handsome Blue Eyes?

SteveP - Your employer is luck to have you as an employee.

Welcome to the world, Tselb's Grandson!

2K - Put . . . down . . . the . . . fork! or whatever else may be in your hand with regard to eating. (Just doing my small part to help you in your struggle.)

45 min of stat bike this a.m. with 5 x 1 min hard, followed by about 15 min of core/ST.  I was sweating buckets by the time I was done, but it felt good.

++1 to my brother for refusing to let the care home move my dad away from his window bed and further away from the bathroom.  It may be more convenient for staff, but on my dad's good days, being closer to the bathroom helps him in his effort to regain continence.  On his bad days, he likes to look out the window and watch the world go by.

If you have the time, here's a great TED talk by a woman named Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain scientist who suffered a massive stroke a number of years ago.  My dad didn't have a massive stroke, but he is suffering the cumulative affects of a bunch of small strokes.  His days of being in what we affectionately call "La La Land" are very well described here by Jill and puts things into perspective for us.  This whole thing has been an incredible learning experience for all of us.

Have a great Wednesday, folks ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HermosaBoy

No offers yet, but I did get a request for ANOTHER interview for one of the roles.  I think that makes like 7???  Keep plugging along.

8 easy miles this morning.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks TomS

how many now?

No eating, no eating, no eating . . .

Good luck, especially working at home by the fridge..

Why, and let us know.

Mikey just invited me out for a long weekend.
              He'll buy my ticket as my birthday present.

MikeE, luckE

My DD got me one last year for the Frank Maier Marathon

that was so much fun, I'm going back next week too

I'm going to have to give this some thought.

Why?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

3 for me this morning with about the best weather you can expect for July.  60, low humidity and a nice breeze.

Good luck, especially working at home by the fridge..

...and remember, we're here to Help........Big grin

actually,

taking a drink between bites helps, since it's just drinking whatever you were going to have anyway

meeself,

have always advocated taking Metamucil after your last meal of the day,

literally helps you feel fuller

and

avoids midnight snacking

>>>>like one of Pickles' Dieticians'  told me, see where you are eating too much and then break the cycle

=======

....20-min poolrun, no belt,deepend only, closed fists

Boy Scout was trying to pass his swimming test today,

Remember

when you were 12-13 years old and felt like EVERYONE WAS LOOKING AT YOU??

.......I gave him and his instructor my lane, and wished him well......

...................good running guys................Be Prepared

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'll stop posting my biking details here since we're mostly just runners, but I'll just say that after four days of this tour, when I see a hill that's anything less than a 10% grade, I no longer consider it a real hill! It's hard to compare it to a running event, but it's definitely one of the toughest things I've ever done...

Nice to have the update on your dad, Leslie. I hope things work out for you and your family.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Just a quick stop by as I am munching my lunch: yummie tabouleh salad with caprese salad and sweet watermelon.

Enjoy the drive to the delivery room, tselbs. We can't wait to see the picture of the baby. Speaking of pictures, that picture Jay posted of the baby in the ocean was priceless.

Enkie, just hold that thought about a marathon in your neck of the woods.

Hi Taperboy. How is your tapering coming along?

I was up at my normal time to decorate a cake for one of my staff whose birthday is today. I was then able to go up, up Kermel grade. That hill is less intimidating with company. Three smile miles. Short and sweet just as a recovery run should be.

Ohh, video chat is such a great invention.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

@Leslie - check my fb home page - he is there in my last album. Cutie!

Twocat - he was Door#33 and I'd be happy to retire the spreadsheet there forever.  He knows I have a nickname for him, but he doesn't know what it is yet - so it has been funny hearing his guesses!

So, this tall thing....and I am always thinking guys are lying about their height - Mr. Blue Eyes measured himself - says for sure 6'1".  Did I mention that already Mike? 

So yesterday I measured myself by lying on the floor with my heels against a filing cabinet and moved a square stool to touch my head.  Then got up and used a measuring tape to see the distance.  5'10".  I ALWAYS thought I was 5'8 3/4".  What a shock!  My whole life has been a lie!  I never knew I was 5'10", but so much makes sense now in hindsight.  Probably the last time I measured myself I was 16.  Or is everyone an inch taller when lying on the ground??

My knee feels great and I would have gone for a run this morning if I had gotten to sleep on time last night.  So very happy about the knee and maybe I can start training to beat my 5K PR in October at the Running of the Fishes.

Jill Bolte Taylor - yes Leslie, I read her book - very fascinating!  Wishing your Dad well.

Good Luck, Hermosaboy!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - feel free to post pictures!

Wish I could say we are having fun, but not yet.  Four hours into our drive the transmission began failing.  We found a transmission shop in Beckley and spent a couple hours there while they serviced it and tried to get to the bottom of it.  $160 later they said we need a new transmission, but that it might make it to our destination if we drive slow.  We did make it here, that's a good thing.  But how to get home, which is a 5 hour drive from here?  The shop said it would take until at least Tuesday to get the parts if want them to fix it here.  So maybe rent a car, leave our car here, and drive back next weekend?  Or rent a uhaul that can tow our car back to Ohio?  DH is just sick with it, he was so looking forward to this break and he is now all stressed out.  Anyone have suggestions?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

{{{Holly!}}} I remember something like that happening to our family when I was on vacation.  I don't have any ideas for you, but am praying everything works out.  One thing I've learned (over and over and over) - let go and let God.  . . . although sometimes it's harder to do than to say.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HermosaBoy

That stinks Holly!!!

Positive thoughts for a good outcome...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, hope the new grandson arrives on time and healthy!

Aamos, I'd bet your s-l-o-w  miles are way faster than my fast miles!

Leslie, best of luck with your dad.  And good for your brother for being firm with the nursing home staff!

Rob, another interview sounds like a very positive sign!  Is it a job you really want?

TW - your post about avoiding snacking made me think...  mmmm, pickles! 

Roachrunner, enjoy the bike trip!  I know what you mean about hills!  When I run at my normal home altitude, I can run up gentle hills but when they get steeper I have to walk.  Yesterday at higher altitude, I found I couldn't run up even the gentle hills!  And when I run at sea level, like the VT50 last year, I can run up hills much steeper than what I can run here, although I still had to walk the really steep stuff.

Posie, I totally agree about video chat!  Last night I had a nice birthday visit via Skype with my DD and her fiancée, and my DH who is in Seattle visiting her.

Holly, good luck with the car.  I hope you can limp it home and get it fixed later.  That does sound stressful.

I had a fun 11.7 mile run in Golden Gate Canyon State Park with a running buddy.  She was planning to do my birthday run with me yesterday, but her DH has the same birthday as me (and Posie) so she couldn't get an early start.  And since I was going up above treeline, I had to start early to avoid the afternoon storms.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.