Masters Running

OCTOBER CHALLENGE (Read 45 times)

TammyinGP

For October, we are going to work on arms.

on ODD days, we'll do Weighted Arm Swings (thanks for the suggestion Mike!).  Using a light weight in each hand, swings arms back and forth doing 2 sets of 30 seconds each, or whatever length of time gives you your level of challenge. This exercise will help with strong arms when you are running!

on EVEN days, we'll do Pushups. Start with the number of pushups that is a comfortable challenge for you and each week you can add more reps to it.

The BONUS challenge is adding either crunches and/or planks to your workout at least 5 days a week so you can keep those cores toned, fit and ripped!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I love your choices!  This will work well with October for me.  And I intend to try REALLY HARD to stay consistent!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

oh yeah!! I was timidly opening this thread because I wasn't sure if someone would think 'what a lame October challenge" or not! I was stumped on trying to come up with something a little different this month to go along with Mike's suggestion.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

I like it, too...I meant to tell you that, yesterday, but it got away from me.  Thanks for putting it together.

Marathon Maniac #957

5 lb weights

30 seconds of arm swings X 2 sets

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I haven't done these yet, but I only have 7.5 lb weights, so I guess I'll have to use those. How far are you swinging your arms with these? and are arms straight or bent at elbow? I'm still having a brainfart on envisioning exactly how this exercise is done properly. . . Roll eyes

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Arms bent...like you're running...up a hill.
                Mike E

MM #5615

Okay...I did 2 sets of 30 seconds of arm swings with 5 pound dumbbells...and, because I like bonuses...I did 300 bicycle crunches.

TammyinGP

I did 2x30 arm swings with 7.5 lb weights. I definitely felt it on my second set.

just did some abs also: 25 crunches, 25 reverse crunches, 25 fast crunches.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

15push-ups for me today - just taking it easy at the start.

Mike E

MM #5615

4 x 25 push-ups + 4 x 25 seated pulley rows to balance out the push-ups + 2 x 150 bicycle crunches + 2 x 100 sit ups to get the bonus.

TammyinGP

3x10 pushups for me. (girlie style because I could probably only do 3x1 of the other . . Roll eyes

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

5 lb weights

30 seconds of arm swings X 2 sets

Mike E

MM #5615

2 x 30 seconds of arm swings with 5 pound dumbbells and 2 x 150 bicycle crunches and 2 x 100 crunches

TammyinGP

did 2 x30 sec arm swings w/7.5lb weights.

did 60 sec forward plank, 30 sec side planks right and left and another 30 sec forward plank.

will do some crunches while watching TV in a bit also.

Tammy