Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - Dreaming of the Adventure (Wk Ending 11/15/08) (Read 505 times)

It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love for your dream for the adventure of being alive. (from "The Invitation" by Oriah) Morning folks! 5 miles this a.m. with 10 hill repeats (5 long, 5 short). Ended up with an av pace of 10:08. Looks like we'll be getting quite a bit of rain here over the next few days, and since I have tomorrow off, I switched my strength training and run days. Hopefully, the weather clears enough for us to fly out of here Thursday at 6:00 a.m. Hope everyone is going well. Farmer Jim - Glad you finally got to poke your head in here! Later~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Ten smokin' fast hill repeats, I'd hazard a guess that you're feeling better! Enjoy your vacay! Jim - good luck with the harvest, we're thinking of you! Tomorrow is the first of my "Four Big Workouts". "Big" because they're all mileages I've never run. I've got a 16, an 18, and two 20s over the next 7 - 8 weeks, and while I truly think I'm ready, I'm getting a little nervous. A new distance always seems to be extra hard for me. Whose idea was this marathon thing, anyway? Clowning around Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - Ten smokin' fast hill repeats, I'd hazard a guess that you're feeling better!
        Yes, feeling MUCH better than I did all last week. Guess it was just one of those weeks.
        Tomorrow is the first of my "Four Big Workouts". "Big" because they're all mileages I've never run. I've got a 16, an 18, and two 20s over the next 7 - 8 weeks, and while I truly think I'm ready, I'm getting a little nervous. A new distance always seems to be extra hard for me. Whose idea was this marathon thing, anyway? Clowning around
        You're gonna do great! (I'll help you review old posts to see who talked you into this marathon thing. I don't think it was any of us, tho . . . Big grin )

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Kids- Carol- Great Pics of you and your Mom!! That is SOOO cool that you get to run together! BTW- I always wear my "race " shorts cause they bring me good luck!! Leslie- now you know what humidity can do to your running.It can really make a big difference.Nice going on those hills!!Hope things clear up for you before you fly out. Jim- Hoping your harvest goes well.Please keep us posted.Hope there's no more blizzard's coming your way. Arla- you'll get through it ok, I have no doubt. One thing that helped me get through those mega-mile runs is to break them up in quarters, like a football game. It seems a lot easier to manage mentally. Last of my big runs were this weekend.On Sat, ran a 10m and yesterday a 16.5m.So I ran a marathon over the weekend. All parts seem to be co-operating ok. By sheer dumb luck and procrastination, I nailed our hotel reservations for marathon weekend in Philadelphia.The less costly hotels were already booked up so I chose a pretty swanky Westin Hotel near the race for DW and I to stay in.As I told you guys, race day is our anniversary (23yrs married) so I wanted to get a nice place anyway. Looking closer and it just happens that the hotel is right ON the race course! It will be at about the 5.5m in the race but DW can walk out of the hotel and be right on the sidewalk as I go by.How cool is that? It will be good to know that she will have a nice "home base" and not have to navigate around an unfamiliar city. It's about a mile from the finish line so I will just have to find a way to hobble limp crawl walk back to the hotel after the race. Have a good one!

Joe - Nice job on the hotel reservations! You planned it that way all along, didn't you? Wink Just looked at the weekend weather forecast for Riverside - in the 80s. Undecided Whaaa???

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey ,anyone around? Getting very quiet around here ...... Roll eyes

Hey ,anyone around? Getting very quiet around here ...... Roll eyes
                I'm here. I hope to post a run....the first one in over a week....later this afternoon.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

I'm here. I hope to post a run....the first one in over a week....later this afternoon.
                  Good luck to ya Evryday. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanks Joe....it did work at well. 6 easy miles, sunshine and 50F with DW. Got some new sunglasses. They worked out pretty good. Good runs to all!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Good afternoon to everyone...... Had a super time with my mom and 2 sisters! The 4 of us stayed out of trouble for the most part and the weather cooperated fully. Drinking, eating, shopping and alot of friggin walking. Brought my running stuff but unfortunately I never even got near the bag to even unzip it. Too much to do in 4 days...... Siesta Key is full of filthy rich people who play tennis all day or raquetball, then they walk their poodles, then they go for a jog (never seen so many people in one small area jogging). Then they shower, have a drink, meet up at the local spots, shop, have a couple more drinks, socialize a bit and then do it all over the following day. Extremely friendly area though.....the people were just the nicest. Hmmmm......maybe they just wanted my money. Luckily the 4 of us shared the cost of the cottag we stayed at or I wouldn't have been able to stay there. To be honest, it wasn't worth the money. It was nice but not THAT nice. It's because the cottages sit on the bay and it is about a 5 minute walk to the gulf side. Read all the posts and everyone seems to be doing well. Cindy, hope everything starts working itself out for you. I believe the doc said, sprain.....she mentioned ligaments. Nothing serious at all more like an overuse type injury I think. She starts PT on Monday so hope to learn more then. Way to go Carol and mom..... Jewels P.S. Ya, here I go again.....after I copy and paste my pic inbetween the img thingy which part do I delete on the ends? I would love to share a handful of photos of our trip.
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                        Hey, all! Had a great run today. I did an hour on the usual trails but it was 36f w/ light rain. For some reason, it was really motivating. I had exactly the right clothes on and it was great. I'm traveling to Miami several times this month and I run along A1A but it's never been my favorite run. On the other hand, I also get to San Fran. a few times--one of my favorite runs is from the Hilton down to the Embarcadero (sp?) then down to Ghirardeli (sp? Wink ) Square and back. So much to see. I'm very lucky to get to run in all these places! Hope everyone is doing well! TC P.S.--Thanks to Dark Horse and all the other Vets who make our running possible!!!

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Cindy - You want to keep the img in between the <>. Remember to keep the "/" in front of the last img. If your link has [ ] around the imgs, you need to delete those. Evryday - Glad the run went well. Joe - Lots of us were lucky enough to have today off. Thanks to all the veterans!!! And I believe you are one, yes?? Thank you! Did my 1 hour of core/strength today, but didn't get in my 3 mile run. Had way too much to do for a day off. Blush I have, however, received a couple of emails for trails in the Riverside area, so I will check those out more tomorrow when I have access to a printer. Took my little guys to the vet today for shots. We found an infection in the right back flank of Wilson and spent the weekend squeezing yucky stuff out and dousing him with Peroxide. The vet looked at him today and says he thinks he was shot with a pellet gun. Angry Angry Angry WTF?!?!? Angry Angry Angry Yeah, someone shot my cat. I swear, if I ever find out who did this . . . . Angry He said the pellet is probably still in there, but we're gonna go after the infection first and see if his body just accepts the pellet. I am so mad. Angry Angry Angry But, he's alive and he's okay, so for that I am very thankful.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Joe, and other vets out there....thanks for your service. fatozzig...that's terrible about Wilson. I'm sure he's in good hands. It just pains me to think someone would do such a thing. I'm assuming kids... and I pray they come to realize their misguided actions. Driver....Hello. Miami, San Fran, 36F and light rain....yep your a lucky guy to be able to run in these locales. Enjoy! Jewels...Sounds like a great time with Mom and the sisters. I know when my wife gets together with her sister, it is quite a celebration and good to see. Arla....how did the 16 miler go? Good luck with this heavy part of your training schedule! I'm sure you'll do fine. Forgive me for not knowing, but what race are you preparing for and when is it? Work has me heading down south today, then on to the big town. I hope to get in 6 today at Lake Olverholser. I'll be on the road that goes around the lake, not in the lake itself.

Ultrachick

Good morning! Nice sunny day so far but temps in the 20's this morning-wee bit chilly. So I'm going to go enjoy some sunshine on a leisurely run-my mood and motivation is going downhill fast so I better get off the computer (where I've been for the past hour trying to build a web page and getting absolutely no where!!!!-reason for my frustration) and I'll try to stop by later but kids also have half day of school and Jack is gone all day with stuff. Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

jfa

Hi All! Thanks for the Thanks with Veterans Day and all. I tend to feel like a wussy when it comes to that because I did not see any "action". I was in the USN from 1978 to 1989 (3 yrs active 8 reserves) and all was pretty peaceful. I really admire and appreciate what the GI's and Marines have gone through with the two Gulf wars and Afganistan. They are real heroes. Jewels- nice vacation for you! Good that you're able to hang with the family like that. Can you see yourself jogging around that little area in 30 years? Let's hope so. Tim - I envy you with the cool places you run. If I remember SF correctly, that run along the water is beautiful but quite flat. If you want to really harden up, I think that there's a few small hills in that area! Leslie- that really sucks about your cat. I pitty the fool that did that if you should happen to catch them. Have to be pretty twisted. I'm glad he seems to be ok. Evryday- nice run for you and have fun at the lake.Hope you're looking cool with those new shades. I'm assuming the "big town" is OK City? Kelly- watch out, those darn computers can really drive you nuts! Much safer to go out running. Here comes those cool temps eh? Nice bike ride on Monday for me, then 8.5 on the hills yesterday.Mostly single digit runs on tap for me leading up to the race in 11 days.It will be nice to taper but I'm going to be careful not to become too lax!