Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 3.27.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

DW and I texted several times during the day yesterday as she made her way safely to Denver. She said the weather is better there than here - what's with that?? Alas - no trouble for me last night: I went home, did some cleaning, made dinner, watched the news, read for a while, and went to bed (how boring is that?). I had a perfectly lousy night's sleep (must be because DW's away), so I stayed in bed this morning to try to grab some extra zzz's. Didn't really work. I have way too many emails to deal with this morning, so I'm going to dive in and see if I can make my way through them all (and the ones still to come) before the end of the day. Days like today make me wonder if email is a good thing or not - someone writes off a brief note with a question, and all of a sudden, I've got another half hour of work to do to provide that answer. Oy!

It is still raining, but lightly, so no flooding (yet) from snow melting. Let's hope it stays that way.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I actually had a pretty good night's sleep, but when the alarm went off, the rain was pounding on the roof.  I didn't feel like going out in it to the gym, much less running in it, so it was not a difficult decision to reset the alarm.  Hope to make up for lack of dedication with a group run in the morning.

eta:  Hi, Amy.  you jumped in while I was typing and reminded me that I should register for the Shape up run.  So I just did.  Hope we'll have a good turnout.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning,

Sump pump!  (that's to Steve, in response to his post yesterday.)  Just couldn't resist starting out with that.  That's what I had when I lived in a MA hilltown.

Mike, and you are speedy so may get an AG award at MCM, which is a wooden plaque.  Plus there's a little medal you can pick up near the finish as you head out to the miasma of getting back.......that's the one thing to be prepared for, the Metro lines on the way back to your hotel.  Getting to the race is not bad, given all the folks running, but getting back can be a challenge.  I think the race and some hotels have shuttles.

And I am headed off to that fair city in a few hours, so post anything you want me to check out for you.  (Good thing my former roomie and I are the same size (well, I AM taller) so I can borrow sweaters....it's going to be chilly.)

Jay!  You don't have to answer everyone with such care, do you?    I mean, we can be your guilt absolvers.  They're lucky to get a response!

Careful there tc--Cat two kinda rhymes with Achoo!

My mouth is achy just reading about Holly's.

Day off from running; DH and I took a stroll in the dark this am. 

Erika, hope DH is ok with Kentucky, or else I fear he'll be sad.  They're just ___________ . Fill in your version of powerhouse, incredible, etc.

Hey HR people, we're playing Myers-Briggs at work.  How many times have I done this now.......is this still considered useful?  NOthing's taken its place??

Happy weekends and here's to March knowing its place and gamboling out like a lamb, as intended, or scampering down some steps in wooden sandals like tet........

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Good morning Jay, Aamos, Kevin and all to follow. Yeah, Kentucky looks like the real deal, don't they? But how about them Badgers?!  The game tomorrow night against Arizona should be a nail-biter.

Sorry about the bad nights' sleep Jay. It's funny how being home alone will mess up your normal routines.

Safe travels Aamos.

At least it was rain and not snow Kevin. Good luck with your run tomorrow.

I'm so sorry about your headaches Twocat. I hope you can figure out the cause and get some relief soon.

Holly. What everyone else said. Take it easy!

In my on-going effort to mix things up, I spent an hour in the pool this morning. 30 minutes of lap swimming and 30 minutes of pool running. Tomorrow the schedule calls for a 10-miler. That will be my longest run since last year. The weather is supposed to be cold (like 19°Wink which will be okay if there's no wind.

Have a job interview working for the local school district this morning. It's part time and I'm hoping to incorporate it into the hours I have working at the Y. But really? At age 62 almost 63, I really don't want to be working this much any more.  Have health insurance and other good things to pay for, though.

Have a great Friday everyone.

King of PhotoShop

Meyers-Briggs is an interesting and insightful exercise but practically worthless in terms of aiding job performance. Glad you are tired of it too Aamos.

Back home from our trip to Austin and visit to the University of Texas, which is where Hudson will matriculate, so all that decision-making stuff is over.  He is now a Longhorn.  So proud of him.  The school of business there is ranked very high in the U.S., and for us we have the comfort of knowing he is away at school but a short flight to come home.

A truck hit an overpass in Salado, TX yesterday morning and the overpass collapsed on the major highway connecting Dallas to Austin, so it was a very long trip coming home, about 5 hours instead of 3.5, but a great day all the same.

2 yesterday morning and 3 this morning with the Saint.  We're racing tomorrow, my first since getting over this injury. I'll stink the place up but you gotta start somewhere. Spareribs

2Kitty - Hope you get some help figuring out the headaches.  Is the medication you mentioned fairly new to you?  I assume it's something you can't stop taking without doc approval (?).

Safe travels, Aamos ~~

I've come to the conclusion my back and hammy issues are due to my hammies being too tight and pulling on everything.  When I've had problems like this in the past, it was also due to my quads being over-developed compared to the hammies, which pulled on the hammies, which then pulled on the back, which then . . . . . So I got a lacrosse ball last night and started finding all sorts of tight spots in my glutes, back, calves - you name it.  I hope this works, 'cause I have a hard time sitting throughout the day 'cause my back hurts so much.  *sigh*

One of The Hub's high school buddies and his wife are coming through town and spending the night tonight.  I've never met them.  Having new people come to your home - a great motivation to clean!  Thankfully, The Hub had about 90% of it done before I got home.

Holly - Work files - Where I worked before, I had complete control of a file from opening to closing.  Here, each attorney has a legal secretary and a paralegal, so there is work that the LS is supposed to do and then work the paralegal does.  It's been a very hard transition for me because when someone else is working MY file, I have to go back and review and try to figure out what happened.  Or a client calls and asks me questions and I have no idea what to tell them because my attorney had our LS doing something I wasn't aware of.  I just have to figure out a system that works better for everyone, all the way around.

Okay - Speaking of work - I have a stack of it on my desk that ain't gonna get done by itself.  Have a great weekend, peeps ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

INTJ's rule and all the rest drool!

I ran another 6.22 miles this morning.  Still on track to get to 100 in March.  24.82 miles and 4 days left.

Last year at this time, my cold medicine & caffeine cocktail, along with no sleep and a stressful software install sent me to the doctor with a racing heart.  She told me to see someone about my anxiety, so I did and it was helpful.  The most helpful thing to do when having anxiety is to write down what you are thinking and then see which of the cognitive distortions it falls under and it becomes easy to deal with.

But I tried that recently with the current workload, and it really is as bad as it seems.  Now what?  I need to call my guy and see what he says about that!  

Actually I am not anxious about it at all.  But I feel like I should be.

New CEO in charge, new focus in the company, but down at the bottom it is still me that has to get our claim system to do something new.

Well that sounds stressful Dave, but I like your idea of not getting stressed out about it.

I need to run, badly.  Would have last night but son reminded me of his band concert, which I had completely forgotten about.  Tomorrow I take my DD to a STEM thing for middle school girls.

Ugh....I'm developing a gut.  I am thinking of biking to work this summer - to shed this excess weight.  I might do a test run Sunday to see how long it takes me.  Hopefully under an hour.

Holly, I missed what all this oral surgery was about, but from what you started to describe, not sure I want to know more....

Twocat - take it easy.  Have you been taking too much Ibuprofen or anything like that the past year?  Some people can get intractable rebound headaches from too frequent use.

Mike E - yeah, don't want to say too much, but I had 5 new doors lined up about a week ago (when it rains, it pours). The first one I liked a lot but he didn't contact again  Sad , 2 cancelled meet ups with me at the last minute as they met someone else to pursue, one has just vanished without a word just when we were trying to figure out which morning this week to meet, and the 5th (walk on Sunday), I just wasn't the slightest interested in.  As they say, stopping looking and you will find what you are looking for, right?  Then there is the hottie at work, but you know, nothing but cute little smiles back and forth, and I have never actually ever talked to him, nor is there any excuse to do so!  Sigh!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly, I think your oral surgeon is being understandably conservative and just assumes that running causes a lot of jolting. But as someone else pointed out, you have a lot of shock-absorbing structures between your feet and head and I don't think much more gets transmitted running than from walking or going down stairs, etc. On the other hand, miles and miles of it might not be so good.

Dave59, when I used to get worked up about things, I used to examine my fears more closely to figure out exactly what I was afraid of and what the realistic worst case could possibly be. Comparing that to things I'd already handled, the issues usually became pretty trivial.

Aamos, before I moved to Michigan, I'd never heard of a "sump pump." Now of course I know more about then than I really wanted to! Have a safe and good trip.

Jlynne, I didn't expect any more days where it never gets up to freezing, and it's actually snowing here right now (flurries, anyway). Aargh! Where is Spring?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

..I keep having to login in everytime I post now

,,,,,,,,,,,have I been Kicked Off The Island??

==========

as a UK Alumni, I think the word you're looking for is ''Semi-Pro'' to describe our team.

personally

I hope they taught them how to read during their Student-Athlete careers.

after 5-years on campus

I never saw a single Basketball Player

but

my Dorm did have the honor of having the entire floor beaten up by the FOOTBALL team.........and you know how well UK plays football

.(sorry..........damn, this leg is making me Cranky.......)

another work-out tomorrow,

maybe it will result in an Attitude Adjustment.

................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

==========

as a UK Alumni, I think the word you're looking for is ''Semi-Pro'' to describe our team.

personally

I hope they taught them how to read during their Student-Athlete careers.

after 5-years on campus

I never saw a single Basketball Player

but

my Dorm did have the honor of having the entire floor beaten up by the FOOTBALL team.........and you know how well UK plays football

.(sorry..........damn, this leg is making me Cranky.......)

another work-out tomorrow,

maybe it will result in an Attitude Adjustment.

................good running guys........

did you change your cookie security levels or anything like that?  I know mine seem to disappear every once and awhile.  then I have to spend time remembering (asking for new ) passwords.

Good for you to help the football team with their bonding.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Do you have a box that says "remember me"?  If it is checked and it doesn't remember you I would clear history/cookies and try again.  (Of course you will then need to resign-in everywhere.)

Are you holding your left foot in the incorrect position when you sign in?

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - congrats to your DS in his choice (and on the search finally being over for all of you).  My DS has received his financial aid offers from University of Cincinnati and University of Dayton, but we are still waiting on Ohio State, Ohio University,  and Wright State, which should be out within the next week.  I was disappointed that UC only offered him $2000/year for merit scholarship, the rest of the offer being loans.  UD offered much more, but also costs much more, and even if he lived at home he would be paying $19,000/year for tuition.  We cannot afford to be much help, and I hate to see him graduate with $100,000 in college loan debt.  We are also discussing the possibility of staying at home and going to Wright State for one or two years before transferring, which would cut the loan debt in half.  We will see.  After all the offers are in, we will sit down and talk it out.

{{{TomWhite}}}  When is your hip replacement going to be done?

I DVRed the series on PBS - Priscilla's Yoga Stretches, which is a 15-minute session of yoga stretches and poses, each session targeting different areas.  Very cool, and easy to work in to the day.  I am trying to do this at least 4 times/week.  Today we did a the hardest plank I've ever done, where you face the ceiling and are on your elbows and heels. Ouch.

2 hours on the bike trainer this morning, followed by 4 miles brisk walking on the TM, then 15 minutes of stretching.

Jay - I am not good at walking fast.  My very-brisk walking pace on my short legs is 17-min./mile.  When I tried to do 15 min./mile, I felt like I was going to tweak something in my knee.  I have no idea how you do 10-11 min. miles walking but I am in awe.  I would love to see you do this sometime, as I am sure my form must be terrible.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Congratulations to Hudson, who cannot possibly be heading to University, as he is a little kid, the inspiration for SBUH pace.

Then again, DD-formerly-known-as-the-filly is also heading to University, and when you all got to know her, she was a tiny girl.  I just sold the Highland Dancing kilt she competed in at about the time I started running (and CoolRunning).  I feel more wistful about that than I did when I signed the cheque for her housing deposit at the University of Ottawa.  dAAve and I will be going up to help her move in at the end of the summer, and then life really will have turned the corner into a new phase.

In the meantime, I seem to be stuck in a low-grade-cold, eating-too-much, indifferent-workouts, pudgy phase.

So I had a low-grade, indifferent, pudgy swim today, but at least pudgy people float better. Big grin

Looking forward to a very, very cold bike ride tomorrow,  I may put the mountain bike down frozen trail just because the damned thing is so slow that I'll get less wind chill than on the cyclocross bike or the roadie.  I'm also going to a visiting weekend for the Master's program I'm pondering.  Thinking hard about whether to defer for a year while I get my feet on the ground a little more.

On the other hand, what's a little more stress between friends?

...yeah, dave's right...it was the feet......

=======

whilst ranting to pickles about the Student-Athlete Theme,,,,,,,,

,I said

''hey, did I tell you about the time I fell asleep on  one of the UK Cheerleaders?""

probably

why they had the football team beat us up.

and yes, I meant On.

ok, I'll tell you

......went to classes,

then Gymnastics Practice,

then I ran my 6-miles,

then

went in to my job at the DishRoom til 9-pm at the University Cafeteria,

and

picked up my date for the Frat Party,,,,,,,,

yep,

you guessed it...........Zonked Right Out.......and, no, we were wearing clothes...

I was Horribly Embarassed,,,,,,well, Mildly anyway

and

she actually went out with me again

which I thought was more out of Courtesy than anything else

....and, yes, Pickles already knows the story.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....