Masters Running

Saturday! Saturday! 1.12.13 (Read 290 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

There seem to be some weird things going on in people's lives these days - is Mercury in retrograde?

We're in Manchester, VT, at a lovely inn not all that far from the center of town. Last night, we had dinner at a delightful French restaurant - DW had trout and I had venison, which I haven't had in about 20-25 years. It was a delightful meal.

Yesterday, I looked at a map and plotted this morning's workout. It was in the upper 30's this morning (absurd), but it rained last night and some of the roads were a bit slick this morning, especially where some of the many meandering steams passed underneath. I missed one of my turns (it's pretty dark on these rural, unlit roads, especially on a overcast, foggy early morning, and I mistook my turn for another road). So I went almost 9 miles instead of the 7 I had planned on. It was a nice workout, except for the Bertha hills in the last 2 miles that I had to struggle to conquer.

Have a great day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//........have a Fun Weekend.......

=======

28min poolrun

Pickles colonoscopy was normal,

unfortunately this may mean her RedBloodCell drop is due to bone marrow involvement.

........or maybe not,

if they knew, they wouldn't have to run tests......

.......................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

(((((Pickles & Tom White)))))

SteveP

Tramps

Ribs—I hope things went well today.

Steve—you found my Airdrome!  Cool.  (Glad to hear of the pain-free runs.)

Troy—pretty, but that looks c-o-l-d.  Heading to the 60s here today.

Jay—sounds like an elegant weekend.  Enjoy.

TW—hope all turns out okay for Pickles.

Thick fog this morning so I decided to stay off the bigger roads and stick to my immediate small dirt roads.   A little boring doubling- and tripling-back to get the mileage in but it went well. 15 EZ miles.

Are you ready for some football?

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

loved the snowy pics posted yesterday. i miss the nicely groomed packed down snow to run on. I like the melodic crunching sound when you run on it. When it snows here at my elevation, it usually warms up too quickly, so it's pretty for a day, then turns into the slushy wet stuff.

Let us know how things go for Pickles.

went bowling last night with DS and DH. Still practicing and learning how to roll the reactive ball. Most games are still in the low 100's, so it's been frustrating. But I actually hit a 178 last night. finally getting a hang for where my mark is maybe. Or maybe it was just dumb luck.

3 miles of trails this morning with the dogs. tomorrow is a long run of 9, which will be partly a group trail run with the local meetup  group. then I'll do more on my own to get in my long run. Still have to do my planks today also. I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the plank challenge and sticking with it.

Tammy

When I got to the Metropark this morning, you would have thought it was the first warm day of spring or something. The parking lot was packed with runners and cyclists; one large peloton of 20-30 bikes took off while I was there. The people I was planning to run with didn't show, but a group of my triathlete friends showed up and I was able to run with them.

I think everyone must have noted that this is the last day of our "January thaw" (50+ today) and winter's coming back with a vengeance by late tomorrow.

I hope that you've been able to have as good a run yourselves today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Hope Pickles' test results come out okay.  Let us know.

I ran very well today, but not fast.  Warm, foggy morning, very humid. I ended up running shirtless and glad I did as there was no wind and the conditions were not good at all.  I ran 1:20:16 for the 15K and won my AG.  It wasn't til the 9th mile that my legs had nothing, so I felt like I played it out well. Sure had fun though.   Spareribs

Bushrat Runner

Jay, sometimes those accidental extra miles can be a good motivator, sometimes they can be killers. Hope yours were the former.

Tramps...27F is not cold...below 0F, that's cold. Below -20F is really cold. In my world, anyway.

Unfortunately, today is even less cold, it is 37F and raining, so today's run is going to be conducted on a slick sheet of ice. That's different from just a sheet of ice, as the ice usually has pretty good traction when it is cold. But when it is raining on it...wow. We will probably try to get dropped off to run back with the wind at our backs...

When the jet stream takes a bend in the road on its way across the north Pacific, and heads north, we get the pineapple express. That's what we have today. Warm air from the south. Surface winds are different, so it usually translates here as east winds that bring that weather. The corollary is that the air that comes up here warm cools down as it passes over the continental land mass, then bends south, and arrives down in the contiguous states as a cold mass. Usually this seems to bring air down over the Montana to Ohio region most directly. But as seen in the link mentioned below, today it is going straight down over Washington, Oregon, and California.

If the jet stream doesn't take its northerly jog before reaching the west coast, then the coast gets a huge pile of warm moist air and gets massive rainfall (can be snow in the mountains) and warm. Meanwhile, we usually have a mass of cold air developing over us and are getting really cold when that happens.

This soliloquy is really only describing winter...summer is related but different...

So, without further ado, here is today's animated jet stream forecast. Should be really cold on the west coast of the 48 states...really warm in King Salmon...

Happy runs all.

Less cold here too----slushy, sloppy, melting snow 10 miler at noon today---will run a few more later tonight with Hudson.

Sending you and Pickles big vibes TW

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

12.1 miles and struggled. 5 of the first 6 were on trails with 3 Berthas and I was really struggling with them so took the rest to the paved path. Bah.

Next week I will aim for more of the distance on the trails and 4 Berthas. She won't keep beating me forever.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

janie b good

2.0 miles; hill workout; damp, 68* w/hubby in tow.

leaving for vacation tomorrow... see you back on thursday!

ETA:  TW-- thinking of you and pickles.  Ribs-- great job!  Bertha-- very nice run!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Hoping for speedy results with good news for TW and Pickles. A few miles for me on a crisp, cold morning.

‎7 chilly miles this morning with my Running Group...14 on tap for tomorrow...

((((Pickles))))

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

All the best to TW and Pickles.

4 miles this morning to make up for the run that I missed yesterday.  Actually 3.99, but as I said to DW, guess I'm not too compulsive, since I didn't start it back up and run 50'.  Roll eyes  Another run in the low(er) 9's, so I'm happy.  It was 40° by the time I got back, so the tights were a little much.  45° predicted for tomorrow so a january shorts run.  Woo Hoo.

Didn't know you were into drones, Tramps.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks, quick check-in because the family is waiting for family movie night.

TomWhite - please keep us posted.

Byll - hope your mom is okay.  My mom has been falling a lot the last year or so too, broke her nose and her dentures and a hole in the wall (on different falls).  Wish I knew why she was falling.

Mariposai - glad you're back!  Pictures?

The weather was stunningly lovely this morning, 55 degrees!  Okay, a little windy, but not bad.  Felt awesome to run outside after all the TM miles of late, and I got to listen to the first chapter of a new audio book - The Wastelands, by Stephen King.   Yesterday's rains washed away most of the snow, and I was able to run on the river path for the first time in a couple weeks.

16 miles, with the first 12 miles at a 9:54 average (not counting potty break), which is pretty darn sproinky for a LR pace for me lately, especially with the extra lbs I'm carrying from the holidays.  Then I got home and ran the last 4 miles on the TM while waiting for DH to get home.

DD's basketball team is undefeated, tonight winning 44 to 4.  DD got at least half of the points herself.  I wish I knew how to post videos of her playing to youtube, because she is awesome to watch and I would love to share with relatives far away.

Got to go....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."