Masters Running

Sunday, June 22nd, Daily (Read 397 times)

Good morning....... I say that quietly as I suspect many of you are still sleeping at 6:15 on a Sunday morning. This message will be waiting for you when you get up. Sorry......it is not breakfast in bed, but then again what I might serve you makes that probably a GOOD idea. In 2005 I was having problems with some high blood pressure. My HIGHEST reading was 181/105....which was NOT good obviously. In consultation with my doctor, I briefly went on medication to bring this number down, and this helped. However, my work insurance switched plans and no one could figure out why my drug plan suddenly got cancelled. It was an accident, but I decided that while they worked to figure it out (they never did.....I ended up switching plans), I would see if my diet and exercise program could be tweeked to accomplish better numbers. At that time my figures were in the 142/94 range. That was 2006. I continued this and 2007 was more like 140/90......a slight improvement. At that time I started increasing my mileage running significantly. I had been working to build miles safely and also chasing a goal of reaching 1,000 miles for the year. It meant running 400 miles in the last quarter of 2007 to accomplish this goal. Interestingly enough my blood pressure dropped during that same quarter to 135/83. 2008 rolled around and I committed to running more miles early in the year to again be able to chase 1,000 miles for the year and hopefully get to 1,200. Right now I am well on track towards the second goal. My blood pressure was checked again yesterday.......124/76. In the last 6 months I have consistently been having readings of 114-120 for Systolic and 76-80 for Diastolic. I check this and record it twice a week. The stats I have kept certainly go a long way to verify that running has certainly helped. I have not needed to use drugs during this period. It has purely been my diet (I now seldom eat red meat, although I will when dining with friends) and running (bumping my mileage up by 25%). I thought you would find that interesting. This was not necessarily a designed plan but something that just sort of happened in the process of doing what was right. My stats for running and the blood pressure check shows the correlation. I feel great now and there is absolutely nothing wrong with me....with me....with me.....with me....with me....with me....with me....... Tell us your success and thoughts with medical issues that have been helped by running. Have a GREAT day. Joey
    Vista

Hill Runner

...morning Joey, 16.05 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace on a beautiful serene Sunday morning. I had a good run today and shaved 21 seconds off my average pace as opposed to last weeks identical run. Everything felt good this morning. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Thanks for the start Vista, the nurse told me I have fantastic numbers while looking at my chart from my physical results. BP good, cholestrol good, blood tests excellent Big grin Peter nice run this morning Smile I had a very nice & easy 5.2 miles around the neighborhood x 4 at 9:55 pace w/DW Gotta go ump 17-18 years olds for 2 games this afternoon. Enjoy your Sunday!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Vista – what a great job you have done to bring down your BP! I’m a great believer in trying to improve health problems with lifestyle changes rather than drugs, if at all possible, and you are a fine example of that. Temps from 60-66 for my run this morning, humid but not unpleasantly hot. Today I ran the 14-mile wave run that Spareribs’ suggested might look like this: 2 miles slow, warmup 1 mile: easy 1 mile: Marathon pace 1 mile: easy 1 mile: Marathon pace 1 mile: easy 1 mile: Half marathon pace 1 mile: easy 1 mile: Half marathon pace 1 mile: easy 1 mile: Half marathon pace 1 mile: easy 1 mile: slow, cooldown I aimed at 9:54 for the easy pace (2 minutes slower than CURRENT 5K pace), 8:45 for MP, and 8:15 for the HM pace. Here’s how it worked out: 2 miles slow, warmup (10:12, 10:24) 1 mile: easy (9:46) 1 mile: MP (8:48) 1 mile: easy (9:44) 1 mile: MP (8:41) 1 mile: easy (9:45) 1 mile: HMP (8:17) 1 mile: easy (9:47) 1 mile: HMP (8:13) 1 mile: easy (10:08) 1 mile: HMP (8:00) – Yowza! Nearly killed me, though… Big grin 1 mile: easy (10:37) – tuckered out at this point 1.75 mile: slow, cooldown (10:29 and 10:50 pace on the last .75-mile uphill) Total miles: 14.75, ave pace 9:36. Full disclosure: I took a 1-2minute break at about 6.5 miles and 12.2 miles for portopottie/water fountain stops. This was a very-tough-but-doable workout. By the end my legs felt quite stiff and sore. But I look forward to repeating this workout in the coming weeks and seeing if it gets easier. Core work tonight in front of the TV. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all! It's easy reading the daily today, but that just means it'll be harder this evening to catch up. Vista --if the only problem you have is that your record skips every once in a while, you ARE doing pretty well. I was on high blood pressure meds for quite a while before starting to run and have stuck with them, sort of a security blanket, I guess. I think my BP has gone down, along with my resting HR since running, though. Out for 4.2 this morning. A bit warm, with 71 at 7:30am, but the sweat is coming easier, so I hope the acclimatization is starting to kick in. Evidently enjoyed too much good food at a graduation party last night, which meant that a lot of my warm-up this morning was running up the stairs to the loo. And during the first 1/2 mile, my main thought was "How big a mistake was this?", but after that things settled down and got through the run with no problems. With that, anyway. After 2 + months of nothing but flats, even these dinky little hills are kicking my butt. I'll stick with them and I know they'll get easier. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Interesting tale, Vista. Nice running from Peter and Holly, especially. 15.3 miles @ 9:13 pace for me today. Comfortable run with some clouds to protect from the direct sunshine. Spent the last half of the week in NYC where I managed to get two runs in, including a nice 10 miler that had a couple of laps around the reservoir in Central Park. That's always a neat place to run. I see more runners in one day there than I do in 3 years at home! Enjoy your day.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Quick note.. gotta refuel. Finished my 31 mile weekend.. 11 MP yesterday and today 20 miles in (3:03:22, 9:10 pace, AHR 149) It was hilly and VERY humid but cloudy/hazy. I knew I would lose alot of water weight on this one so I carboloaded on spaghetti for lunch and dinner Saturday. This helped. Although I lost 7 lbs, my weight was still ok and I don't feel bad after. Also put e-caps in my water bottle (bad taste!). Glad that's over. Now a bit of tapering next 3 weeks before Grandfather Mountain Marathon July 12th. Hope everybody haas great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

good morning! Vista, that's great you were able to accomplish that. Nice of you to take the time to share it with us. glad there is nothing wrong with you... with you... Wink Nice run Peter. Nice run Sarge. Holly, Yowza! So great that your plan worked. Kevin, cool. Your determination paid off. Very nice run for you too, Tramps. glad you're back. we didn't fight while you were gone. at least not much. I did the river route again this morning. It's so nice. 56F., 90% H. not sure what it was when I stopped but sure felt warm in the sun. About a mile walk. Run was 6.07 miles. (Big grin), average pace 10:10(.25), max was 8:44. AHR 170, max 184. high, I know.. but my BP is very good. :/. I sure liked this morning. But my right foot hurt an astonishing amount. Hurt to walk last night & this morning, but I wanted this run so much. We had a talk, I told them if they gave me this morning I'd take them to the podiatrist. So if anyone feels like nagging, I'm a willing target. Had breakfast & coffee, now I'm sitting here eating organic strawberries from the farmer's market yesterday. Life is good Smile. Time for a shower. Hope to catch up on yesterday later. Happy Sunday. mta, yay Perch! what an amazing weekend's work. watching the details even more carefully after Ribs comment the other today. thanks.
                  Mariposai

Great early morning eze 3 miles, which brought my total to 40 miles this week. The wave LR I did on Friday, pretty much like Holly's today, but a bit slower, left the legs just a little more tired than a normal 18 normally does to me. Off to get ready to go to church with my little girlfriends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I Can Go The Distance

Good Sunday Morning All I went out for my LR at 5 AM and it was already 72F with 78% humidity. I did 10.2 miles in 1:50:28 10:50/mi. I did not want to push to hard afer my race yesterday and the hot weather today. I will give a longer race report after I get back from church, but the short version is: 5k 25:37 (8:15/mile) AG 55-59 4th place (won a medal) Overall 54th out of about 250+ Not to bad considering the heat. Also had a great time meeting HuskyDON, Dromedary and DH. Great runs today everyone. Hope those who have not run yet also have good runs. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Vista, Great job on the BP...I have to be careful myself..you might remember in Feb of this year I had 152/138. Had my physical last week and it was much better. 135 over 115 so better although last year I was 118 over 78 so stress has something to do with mine. Went out for half marathon training run. Did it in 1:36 and change. It was hot out there so I did some slow mixed with some faster stuff, pretty much all on the trail Holly great training run. BC fantaastic race Have a great day everyone off for a visit with my parents. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

..I kept thinking about ribbs' comment yesterday ""I could have run forever''...... ================ I've been missing that Feeling, got it back a little bit today, a couple of 2nd Wind Moments during my run......... ....55min trailrun,,,,,,,,pace,breathing, and stride ALL came together for a little while..... .......it was like Watching Yourself Run..... ...hard to explain........ .................hope it happens again soon..... ......................good running guys.................Enjoy the Magic........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Well, I couldn't run forever today. We had a bunch of people over our house yesterday, and spent most of the day on our feet, to I at least was spent and not ready to do the planned 16 miler -- I did grind out 9 and decided to hang it up there. PDR is still out so I guess she has more stamina than I have (and is even more stubborn than I am). We think it was a good party, though -- people seemed to have a good time, and they politely said my beer was not overly horrible. Workout: 8.2 miles, 9:10/mi, AHR 145 Overall: 9.2 miles, 1:24 Have a great day today! MTA: oh yeah, blood pressure. Well, exercise and eating well didn't seem to help mine, so I guess I'm stuck with the medicine. Sometimes it's just in the genes.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

I'm really happy for Bruce's race, although it is a shame that he had to run in those very hot conditions. A cooler day gives him a 24 I bet. Nice job. I hope you have an easy day planned for tomorrow. That is a big weekend for you Bruce. Speaking of big weekends, how about that Perch! When I was in shape I used to use the 30 mile weekend as a yardstick. If I could do 10 on Saturday and come back with 20 on Sunday I knew I was ready. Well done. Holly, that is pretty exact pacing, and I agree with you that after a couple of tries at it, it will become easier. Over a couple of months it will build tremendous stamina for you. Well done. Be patient. Sunday is my long run day, and my plan is not to exceed 2 hours for the long run over the summer. Up until now I have been doing 12 miles for the long run, very slow and with the heat and being tired, it almost uses up that allotted time. Today I got to 12 miles in about 1:53, so ran another one, feeling fine and finished 13 miles in 2:02. The rest of this week will be all short and easy, as I will cut it back a bit. Spareribs
                                Holly, Great work out! It sounds challenging but fun. One of those feel good "AFTER" the run type. Perch, The Machine. You are definitely ready. Spareribs, Thanks for your input yesterday on my question about MP and in general for all that I learn from you.I read and listen to it all. 10 mile long run today. My first this long in over 3 weeks. The effort seemed harder than I expected but I did race a 5k this week and also did my first full week of running since vacation. 1:44Tight lippedx about a 10:20 overall pace I think. It was 72 and sunny but felt really warmer. I usually run most of my long runs right around 10 minute pace but took it extra easy on my first week back. Now its time to cool down with some lawn mowing. Tongue Safe runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down