Masters Running

40'w On the Run - Wk of 0224/08 (Read 378 times)

Top 'O the World!

I'm here! Sorta...sometimes I only get to read.... Winter Storm didn't turn out to be all that impressive - down here! But "up there!"....... But then again..... & Mairead sure does like it! Big grin (testing) 25*F/76% H, bright sun-shiney w/1" of fresh fluff on the ground....can't find this in P.S.!! Clowning around...nor some Carribbean Island...could you guys "suffer" w/some comparable "sand running" & report back in w/your "tribulations!?".. ..will check back in later....
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Jewels - Dang! And I'd only had one! Okay, it was a pint glass w/two shots . . . but I'm a light weight. Cheap date! Cindy - Great pics! And Mairead looks so happy. Can't say the same about our former feral kitty, BK. He has a really bad eye infection. Hub had to take him to the vet yesterday, and we're suppose to put eye drops in his eyes 3x a day. Ha! Hub had to hold him last night while I tried to get them in, and this morning when we tried the same tactic, he freaked (BK, not hub). He hissed at Shorty and now he won't go near him. I got him to come to me and tried to get the drops in before he ripped me apart. Now he's PO'd at me, too. Poor guy. He just doesn't understand. What a beautiful morning it was! Near my house, it was pretty foggy, which messed with my asthma, but once I got about a mile down the road, it cleared up. Beautiful half moon surrounded by a fuzzy, golden halo, and a jet stream cloud streaking right over the top of hit. Lots of stars and clear sky. Soon I'll be watching the sun come up on my a.m. runs. Can't wait. Did a little under an hour this morning and felt really good. 5.55 miles in 56:10 = 10:08 pace. Haven't had any new blisters in about two weeks, so that's a BIG positive. Listened to the 2/10 podcast by SteveRunner (Phedippidations). He told us to try something new. Smile when running! How does it make you feel? His podcasts are great. Okay, get out there and have a grand day. Spring's right around the corner!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Turned out to be very Spring-like here today! Smile 47* & Clear! Forcast is for this to be the "coldest day" of the week!..Maybe 65 by the wknd...& where is R2?? hmmmm...he must be skeered of mud Clowning around....Feb is definitely going out like a Lamb!! Woo-Hoo! I just got confirmation that I can take Mairead for the Slacker's Half Marathon the end of June!! Sign us up!! busy looking for dog-friendly races....I think I heard of a few dogs in the "Running w/Horses" marathon & 1/2 up in Laramie.....may have to check that out for laters... We did a total run/walk of 12.5 miles today....started out in the snow, came home in the mud! Cool....
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Woo-Hoo! I just got confirmation that I can take Mairead for the Slacker's Half Marathon the end of June!!
          Mairead's come to be quite the athlete! <sigh>> I'd love to have a dog to run with. My friend is looking into adopting one. Of course, she couldn't run with us at first, but if Karen does get her, it'll be fun to eventually have a four-legged friend on the trails. We see lots of them out there on Saturdays. And big four-legged friends - horses. Anybody know why when I try to change my avatar it doesn't always do it? I'll do the whole browse, pick, and save thing, and sometimes it just won't do it. Then suddenly, VOILA! It's changed! Confused</sigh>

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Where is she looking to adopt from?
              Where is she looking to adopt from?
              Hey! That was quick! It's from someone locally. It's a red-something or other hound. She's one of 3 or 4 other dogs and isn't happy. Karen's been trying to set up a time to go over and see the dog, and if they get along, go back a few more times and take her out to see how the two of them do together before making a decision.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Tell her to just go over there & take that dog for a nice long walk....
                BTY

Hi 40's - Just got back from a nice getaway to Charlotte NC. 2 Snowstorms in Albany just since we returned on Friday. SHEESH!
                    Hey - my picture finally changed. That's Wilson. Welcome back, Brian! We missed you. Cindy - I think Karen was suppose to go see the dog last week, but the lady ended up with that nasty flu bug that hitting the entire freaking country. She felt it wise to stay away. Wink I think she was suppose to try and go again this week.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys from BEAutiful Palm Springs CA, dw and I got in 3.1 on a bike path around town. My garmin was totally confused and took forever to self locate, could be not used to booting up at 70 degrees instead of 12. Anyway shorts and tee weather here, really good to get out after setting in conference most of the day. Half day of conference then to San Diego tommorow nite then to Denver and back to the sticks by thurs nite or fri morn. Its fun to get away but at home I don't have to wait on any traffic lights Wink Wink!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

R2 - if you have time, do hit the San Diego zoo. Don't try to see it all, just stroll around and enjoy whatever you run into. The landscaping is also noteworthy. If you go to the Australia section, you can get a Foster's on tap! Big grin Just past the Foster's there is a little cave with Kiwi birds (you can rarely see them), but next to the Kiwis is a small display with some nocturnal marsupial "mice" that can run on the window! I used to love to go there with my Foster's and crack up at the mice running on the vertical glass. Glad to hear PS is being nice to you! Leslie - I hope you end up with a furry running pal! Nothing better than someone else having to take care of it, too - sounds like you have your hands full with the eye drops. I hurt my back, too much heavy work in the yard I think, not sure yet if it's going to affect my runs Angry Arla

Ex runner

Farmer Jim - I was in Palm Springs last may for a legal secretaries' conference. I love it!! In the "Old Town" section, there's a bronze bench w/Lucille Ball (me and my buddy, Denise): We had a great time there, and it was so nice being warm! Arla - Unfortunately, I'm not the one getting the dog. It's my running buddy, Karen. Yes, I have my hands plenty full with the cats. BK and I have come to an understanding about the eye drops. He wants to eat, I need to get the drops in his eyes. He comes to the food bowl, I capture him do my duty, give him lots of love, then let him go. He gets PO'd and goes outside, but is soon back to eat. With my hub, he still won't go near him. Just goes to show - those critters know who the Giver of Canned Food is! Big grin Also, take it easy on your back. I've read or been told both don't run when your back's messed up and run. Who knows. Maybe sticking to power walking for a few days so that your keeping mobile, some good back strengthening exercises, ice, and anti-inflammatories. One of my favorite pics from vacation. Did anybody see the first Mission Impossible? Remember the first scenes where every gets killed? They're in Prague, and this is where it all happened. Shorty (my hub) was humming the theme one day as we were walking across the Charles Bridge. We came across a group of young guys who were looking down on this spot and one of them was humming the theme, too. Shorty's all, "Hey! I was just doing the same thing!" It was cute. Oh, and I exercised today, since that's suppose to be the theme of this thread. An hour of strength training. Kept the squatting to basically zilch because of the knee. Have a great Hump Day!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

btb1490

Hi guys. Haven't checked in in a while, but I poke in now and again to try to keep up with you guys. It isn't easy, you're all a busy bunch! Leslie- sorry your bday didn't quite turn out as planned. I hope hubby is doing better and that he issued a raincheck on the celebration. Nothing like having a coach or mentor to keep you going. You are lucky to have found Bill. Nice sounding predawn run you had the other morning. That would be cool if your friend got the dog. You could run with it and let her do all the taking care of it! Nice pictures too, you sure visit some cool places. Arla- sorry about the back! Leslie had good advice with the ice and anti-inflammatories. Get it checked out if not better in a couple of days. Feel better, so you can back to logging those miles again! Cindy- incredible pictures! All that snow has to melt to somewhere though, that must be a mess. Good deal on finding a race that is pooch friendly. Good luck trying to do that here! Jewels- I think that heat is getting to you. Seeing pigs instead of treestumps? Wink nj Joe, r2farm- no, we aren't toooooo jealous of your trips! Wink Enjoy, and send us some of that warm sun! BTY- that was some welcome home that you got! :P I exercised my typing fingers today. Does that count? Happy Wednesday!
                            BTY

4 miles on ice and fresh snow along the Hudson River today. 3 straight days of running, although Monday's was just a 2-mile jaunt to encourage a co-worker to get in the lunch-time running habit, and I'll do the same tomorrow if she's game. Good way to get back in the running every weekday groove for me. My two oldest sons went to the Track and Field team meeting yesterday after school. One is in 10th grade and hasn't done a running sport before, but always works really hard in running drills in football and baseball practice. Very glad he listened to me and isn't playing baseball again after the experience we had with the coach last year. Angry No. 2 son is in 8th grade, ran modified (7th and 8th grade) XC last fall, and is waiting to see if he wants to do modified track or Varsity. His dilemma is that his brother and he will probably both wind up doing the mile and the two-mile, so if he runs Varsity they will be competing head to head. These two are VERY competitive in everything they do, and his older brother is not the least bit supportive of anything he does. Every compliment is backhanded. Figures, as they are only 15 months apart (I know, it's my fault!). Anyway, in the end, the younger one is the more talented runner, but the older one is more focused when it comes to working hard for a result. It'll probably be good for them to run the same events, but maybe not head to head. Probably just leave it up to the coaches, or at least let them know what they're in for. Undecided Have great runs and workouts everyone. Bike commuting hopefully starts in about 4 weeks. Smile Big grin Smile Big grin
                                Hi guys, I'm still alive. Just not much time to read or post lately. I do see lots of cool pics in scanning through though! You, your pets, and your vacations are all beautiful! Lots of good things going on. The p/t work from home accounting job is closer to full time right now, and of course as soon as I accpeted it, pet sitting cranked up big time (anybody want to move down here and walk some doggies?). On top of that, hubby and I have agreed to help with a new church (satellite of another) here in town. All good stuff, just all at the same time! Have been continuing to run to maintain sanity. Mostly 3 to 6 milers, 12 to 18 miles per week with no real plan other than to run a few upcoming 5K's and one 4 mile race. Enjoying it though! I'm looking at partnering with another pet sitter, so maybe my schedule will allow me to check in more frequently soon. I'll think of you often in the interim. Forgot to add, hubby and I have been following the weight watchers program. I'm down 5 lbs, and he's down 8. 5 more and I'm sure to become super speedy, right? Surprised
                                Progress Trumps Pefection