Masters Running

Bridle Trails Winter Trail Running Festival 50K (Read 171 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

The attraction of this race at Bridle Trails State Park , about 30 minutes away from my home , a forest,very close to civilization, with horse trails and arenas for horse shows, is the few challenges it presents: time of year and weather conditions, surface and guaranteed mud, time of day for the start: 3PM . I personally can never resist the call of a race so close to home....I managed to get the family approval for my half day off on DH's birthday, of all days, and signed myself up for the 50K, the 5M or 10M options weren't quite enough for the trouble I was putting everybody home through... I usually run on paved trails and have done only a couple of races of similar surface and all in the summer time and most definitely in the daytime so I was curious to try and see by myself what Tet had tried hard to dissuade me from doing. I headed out to park with plenty time to spare , I wanted to make sure I could find a parking spot and I did. I spotted a few Maniacs I had met at previous races amongst them Robert , nice to chat with him and get a live update on Tobias. Maniac Jill appeared and that was a welcome sight, we had ran together a few times at different events as recently as the First Call to Run Marathon on 1/1 , and being pretty well evenly paced good chance we could keep each other company in the longs hours ahead. The weather was already rainy, not pouring but definitely wet......The start area was crowded, lost of young people, looked like some cross country teams or groups , some runners looked prepared for the weather and trail conditions , a couple teenage girls, who reminded me so much of my unwise 14yr old DD, in tee shirt and little shorts ....not very much so... The 5M race was off at 3pm, seemed like close to 100 people, the 10M off 5 minutes after, still crowded beyond my expectations and finally the start for the 50K . The course consisted in 6 laps of the outer perimeter of the park, part wide gravel trail and some narrow bits that would allow only single file running, a few ups and downs, the worst ascent close to the end of the lap all well marked with orange ribbons and glow sticks. Off we go, Jill recounts last years race where she only completed 4 laps and she's a good reference to have to get an idea of the comparative conditions of the course... so far so good a bit muddy at times but with plenty of "shoulder'' for decent footing.... much better then last years....We run the first lap together...just over 50 minutes for the 5.2 miles.....good start .....still light rain....boy it is already dark in the woods..... at the aid station I take advantage of the break to dig out my head lamp and slip it around my neck ,just in case , and I ditch hat and gloves .... second lap: pace a little bit slower, light rain still, a bit more mud....wow it is getting really dark.....Jill and I are still within a short distance from each other.....we connect again at the aid station.....I'm already soaking wet, my shoes are dripping mud but the legs feel pretty good ..... third lap: now the rain starts coming down hard, I put my head lamp around my head and turn it on and get the unpleasant sensation of going blind.....the reflection of the light through the light plays tricks on my eyes..I can't focus very well....oh boy I think I'm in trouble...how am I going to make it this way for ....20 miles.....???? where am I supposed to aim the light..? right at my feet or a couple of yards ahead so that I see the general direction of the trail?....it is a surreal feeling of being lost in the dark... in the rain..in the cold with more and more unsure footing since the mud is turning into thick soup. Listening to Tet's advise , I had brought 2 more flashlights and at this point I pull out one of them from my fuel belt, ... while I'm pondering on my predicament I hear the sloshing sounds of another runner coming up....bless her heart it is Jill.....!!!!! I'm determined not to let her out of my sight.....and so is she....very happy to have some company....we run and talk occasionally, taking turns at leading the way in the increasing bog like conditions. We make it to the aid station, we are pleased with pace, just about 3 hours for the first three lap.... the rain keeps coming down.... we are half way done.....we are not crazy ,we tell each other....,we are tough ...we are going to make it......We plod along , the pace is much slower now.. but I'm trying to be very careful where I step....wouldn't want to take a full mud bath yet...or hurt myself tripping on an hidden obstacle....we walk up the hills and wade through the deeper puddles.. aid station in sight......there comes Enke!!!!!! what a pleasant surprise, I'm sure I'm not a pretty sight....a drowned rat with mud already caked up to my knees, my hands are frozen so I grab my gloves while Jill changes her shirt and puts on a jacket..... I don't bother changing.....I would be soaking wet again within minutes....as long as I keep moving I'll be OK.... we walk together heading to the start of the lap...and we part ways.......really nice of her to come out and see me...Thank you Karen!!!! ....fourth lap: two more laps to go.....at least I have warm hands.....Jill informs me that the trail is definitely more difficult than last years......but she is as determined as me to make it to the end......of course periodically we are passed by runners doubling us....literally flying through the mud and wearing a good amount of it on their legs up to their backs. I don't care about the time ....I start dreaming about my warm coat waiting for me in the car.... a hot shower ....hot soup......fifth lap more of the same ,same routine ....run wherever possible, walk up the hills and try not to loose a shoe in the mud....last lap:....more rain...deeper mud ....pool like puddles...we catch up to another girl running on her own....turns out she's the last one out on the course, one more lap to go for her....we give her some encouraging words... I 'm glad I'm not in her shoes.....alone in the dark woods......but I sure would like to have some dry shoes on my feet.. We finally get close to the finish line area, quite deserted at the time......not many people left out there, I get to the table where they keep track of the times and I'm surprised to see DH standing there waiting for me!!! Big hug with Jill, we did it!! 6:47:and change.....we are very happy we broke 7 hours and are both so grateful we got to stick together ...this would not have been a fun race all alone in the woods! A challenging 50K for sure, the elements is what wore me out not the distance , in fact I already feel fully recovered. This turned into a very long RR, thank you for reading it..... no pictures available.....would have been scary in any case ... Francesca PS: I didn't even think once of what that mud under my feet...was made of ...horses or no horses.....Smile....
      Big Congratulations!! Some how the word "Festival" for this event just isn't right! Festival makes me think of fun times.... I am so glad you had a partner there with you for your final 3 laps. DH...what a great guy, waiting for you on his birthday! Standing around in the rain, in my Gortex jacket, I was soaked and so grateful I had not signed up for the 10 miler even. And I had no idea those headlamps would be insufficient for running in the dark. Lots of relay runners were coming into the start/finish/transition area and not being recognized by their partners. People were calling out to each other in the dark. Surreal, running lost in the dark, in a heavy downpour....perfect description. and awesome performance sticking this one out. Yes, the horse poop was the least of your concerns! So, next year??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

The big secret I learned at my first night run: handheld flashlight mo bettah. It is amazing that you finished - great job! Some of my other friends (slug, flapjack, and cartwheels) stopped after four loops. Woohoo!

You are a tough lady, Franc. I can't imagine doing a short run in those conditions, let alone an ultra. It's neat that you and Jill got to meet up and run together. It's also neat that you got to see enke. Congratulations on your outstanding 50K. TomS
            Wow! A tough gutsy performance. Nicely done, Franc. Those tough tough conditions make for one tough tough runner.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

I can't get over how tough you are Franc. Not only could I never do something like this, but I would be moaning and groaning the whole time. What a terrific attitude you have. Thanks for this fun to read report. Spareribs
              Tramps

Wow, that's an impressive run in really unpleasant conditions. I bet that hot shower felt fantastic! Congratulations.

Be safe. Be kind.

Franc, what a great race report! I can't believe you actually wanted to do this race after hearing Tet's descriptions of the course. You are truly amazing to have perservered and completed the entire thing. How great that you were able to run most of it with Jill to keep you company - that has to have helped a lot. Again, congrats on an amazing achievement.

Once a runner . . .

Great report, and congratulations! There is something so darn gratifying in gutting it out in not so perfect, okay down right crappy, conditions. Good for you!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance