Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 3.27.14 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TW, I'm glad you are here for so many reasons, and your great humor is clearly one of them! Nice job in the deep end yesterday.

Prescious photo of Annabelle, Dave! Happy Birthday to her.

Great running by you and David (and his friends) yesterday, Tammy.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and that your run didn't appear to do any harm, Tselbes.

Leslie - guilty as charged... Sounds like an excellent workout yesterday; yes, slower is often harder. Thanks for the update on your coworker's brother. Meningitis - yikes! I've never had freakin' chocolate chip cookies, but they sound delicious!    Can you change the font in your email program to something that might be easier to read/larger?

Sounded like a good day to stay inside, Holly.

Wildchild, there are pros and cons to where everyone lives. I think you have lots and lots of 'pros!'

Robin, you are going to love the NYC marathon! The diversity of neighborhoods and people is amazing, as are the views from the Verazzano, across the East River, and in Central Park. Jealous...

Steve, it's tough to get the best of Siri, but continue to give it your best shot.

Good Remi/recovery run, Enke.

Sounds like a pretty busy 'rest day,' Starr.

Mike, you must have been running under the wind to go that fast! Amazing...

Nice 10 at 5, Mariposai. I understand how hard it must be to pick one scholarship recipient when you have many qualified applicants. Do you have criteria that you can check off, or is it a 'seat-of-the-pants, gut feel' kind of evaluation process? Regardless, I'm confident that you will make a great selection.

Tet - it wasn't all that long ago when only 5% of us had any kind of cell phone. But those days are gone forever, for better or worse.

Evanflein, that 'in-between' season when the effects of winter are still hanging around in spots, is a PITA! But it'll come to an end sometime before July...

We had window-rattling, howling winds yesterday evening and into the night. DW and I were waiting for the power to go out but, fortunately, it didn't, and the winds subsided overnight. I finally, FINALLY, got a good night's sleep, and even just rolled over at 4 to sleep for another hour. It was 19F, feeling like 4 this morning, so I'm just as glad I stayed under the covers. I've been fighting a cold this week, and the extra sleep should help me get ahead of it a bit. I just want to be feeling better/stronger for my half on Sunday.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning, or Day or Evening depending on when you read this,

Like "crab apple Wednesday!"Echoing and repeating hopes that all those illnesses and owies go way and quickly.  Hope you ace your half, Jay!

We had breezy and cold yesterday early am AND I forgot gloves, but nothing like 24 mph winds.  I'm amazed at both Mike and you, too Erika, running zippy tempo runs on your own.  When I used to run at lunch, I could ramp up the speed as I had to be back in time for work, but running in the morning, which I do love, has one downside.  When I run alone, I tend to be awfully pokey.  (Like today's 5and a half near stroll!)  How do you motivate yourselves to pick up the pace?

tw, <<waving >>  thinking of you.

Steve, appreciated your take on Siri.  Y'know, you are developing quite a sense of humour.  Must be Tag's influence.  Dino, our little friend who sits with his human at the local Starbucks most mornings, says hi.  He had on a sweatshirt hoodie this am; it's still "chilly" here, by FLorida standards.

enke, you and Remi make me miss Frank.  The cats and bird are fun, but a dog is special.

Guilt is already knocking at my door as I read Tammy's post about her garden.  Not only does she grow all that fabulous food, but then she cans, salsifies, and preserves what she doesn't eat.   And Nancy's, as she's always doing 84 things at the same time.

!  may have a smart phone, but I don't think I use it very smartly.

SO it rained on the Asheville marathon I ran earlier this month and now it looks as if it is going to rain in Reston Sunday.  If this pattern keeps up, my next marathon is Boston.  Of course, we may just be happy if it rains and isn't snowing April 21st.

Hoping to get in a peppier run after work with a running group here.  Happy THursday!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning everyone!

Amy, I hope you don't get rain for your race, but hope you have fun irregardless!  ()   Your pokey pace is doubtless pretty fast, and running slowly is good for you sometimes, anyway.

Erika, Happy 22nd birthday to your DS1!  Is he graduating this year?

Karin, speaking of graduating, I was wondering if your DS has decided where he's going to college next year?  Acceptance letters from schools should be out about now.

Robin, I'm glad your sister is recovering -  that sounded scary.  And congrats on getting into NYC!  - although I may be the only person who does NOT have that race on my bucket list.  In fact, I can't think of another race I'd less like to do, unless there's one that's in a bigger city and has more runners!     I'm even thinking Avenue of the Giants will be kinda crowded,  but I'm going for the RA gathering as much as for the race.

There are 33 people registered for the 50k I'm doing on Saturday in Moab, and another 21 people doing the 50 miler.   I love small races!  I just signed up a few days ago, because my DH decided he's going rock climbing near Moab next week, and I thought I'd go along.  And there just happened to be a race on Saturday!  MikeE - I saw your comment in the intrepid racers thread! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SSShhhhh....Aamos! Absorb all that rain at your next marathon and don't bring it to Boston! 'Kay? Actually, whatever...I've run it during Equator temperatures, during a Nor'Easter and everything in between. I am just happy and grateful to be there this year.

Windy here too yesterday, but we were spared the blizzard. It's bright and sunny today and should be in the 40s when I head out for my noontime hill workout. roar.

Right now the kiddo has ranked his college possibilities as follows, U. of Missouri, U of Michigan, and Ithaca College. He got into everywhere he applied and we are grateful and thrilled. Mizzou has a top rated sports journalism and sports management program and has quite frankly done the best job from the very start with their responsiveness and outreach. If he does go there he'll move in on his 18th birthday and his parents will drive away with tears in their eyes and hope in their hearts.

You'll have fun at the NYCM rtravers!

We love asking Siri wild questions and now you can change her accent, so Mr. CNYrunner's Siri sounds British now (his GPS voice is an Australian woman, so we have a theme here )

Mariposai

Congrats to Karin's son for getting in to the collages of his choices. What a great career choice, btw.

Only Erika can play around with ice and spikes and still manage a srpoinky 8:07 ave.

Aamos, your posts makes me smile!

Buttefly hugs to DG, just because.

No wind, no cold today and yes rain! I debated to go out and get wet for only 4 recovery miles, but I have another full day of meetings and doing workshops that I decided I needed to run outside just for mental health sake.

This rain will be good for the tulips.

Have a great Thursday, you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

....keep me in mind tomorrow//............the word ''geode'' was used, not for the rock, for  calcified cyst(s).......

the ortho doc told me ''come back when you can't stand it anymore''

Pickles

is coming with me,

so

I'm gonna tell him

I came back when my WIFE couldn't stand it anymore

...........what could possibly go wrong????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Irregardless of what Wild says, the NYC Marathon is a thrill.  I ran it in 1977 and said I would never do it again, "too many runners."  I think there were about 5,500!

Home from Chattanooga, and Dalton, GA, (right over the border), and got 5 in this morning.  Rainy and warm here.

Riblet is running for Senior Class President and President of the Student Body, for next year.  Election is Friday. Yesterday he and the 4  other candidates gave their speeches.  While his was excellent, I'm not confident he's going to win against the tough competition, and last night I told him I was proud of him for running but that I didn't want him to be too disappointed if he doesn't win.  We tend not to like pessimism in our house but I felt I had to prepare him for the worst. He is so excited.  Spareribs

New skirt in town

I'm still sort of in shock that I got a number for NYC! I've entered the lottery a few times previously, and I just assumed that I wouldn't get in as in the past! I was really surprised to find out that I got a number... 9.7 miles this AM, with the middle 6 at MP (8:20-8:25 min/mile) --RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

evanflein

<cringing at the use of "irregardless" in today's thread...>

Ahhh, NYC marathon... I ran that a few years ago. Got a sponsored entry from ING. I really disliked the "hurry up and wait" before the start, especially when they don't really have any good place to do the "wait" part. I have mixed feelings about the race: it's cool to have done it because of what it is, but it is huge, and I thought a lot of the spectators were mean. A lot of cheering and support, but some really mean-spirited yelling whenever anyone would walk (like me), stop to stretch, or heaven forbid, use a porta-potty. Guess I'm glad I did it, but have no desire to do it again. I did like the guy welcoming us to the Bronx though, that was cool.

Amy, I usually am squeezing my run in during the day at work, or after work when I want to go home, so always feel a little pressured to "get it done." That's why most all my runs are too fast, I think. I always feel like someone is waiting for me. DH is great though, he always seems to have more to do at his office so doesn't mind me running after work most days. When it's nicer out, I'll do some runs home from the office, one of my favorite things to do. Less pressure because he'll have my work stuff and I head home. No waiting on anyone.

Carolyn, DS1 is not graduating this year. He took last spring semester off and went to Europe. This past fall he pretty much redid his junior year. He's switched majors three times. So... he's taking the extended college experience route, methinks. Now he says he wants to take EMT classes.

Another gorgeous day here today. We won't see much for clouds till Sunday. I sure hope all this sun works on all that ice! I'll get out mid-day today because DH wants to be home by 6 for the AZ Wildcats game.

Dave59

Is the government in Washington something else or what?  The House of Representatives just voted for a bill that includes a provision to delay the implementation of ICD-10 (a new set of diagnosis codes for use by doctors & hospital).  Instead of 10/1/2104, it will be 10/1/2015 if the Senate votes the same way tomorrow.

Absolutely no consideration for all us programmers down in the trenches  who have been working tirelessly to get done and are in the final stages of testing.

Oh well, the government's fickle nature has provided job security for me so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Still no running, but I have more energy today so that is a plus.

Henrun

Robin, congrats on getting into NYC marathon. I ran it in 1999 and enjoyed it immensely. Of course I've always enjoyed big city marathons (LA, Chicago, S.F. ) and all the excitement that goes along with it. Enjoy!

Marj and I ran the Charles today- sunny, less wind and warming temps-delightful!

There is no way I am going to catch up here after being gone for weeks.  I hope you all have been doing well.  I see some of our group got a chocolate bar with a gold ticket to the NYC marathon.  Congratulations and remember to light a candle to the deity of random numbers!  I spent two weeks in Ireland leading a group of MBA students from one firm to another.  Then I got back to a marathon teaching week.  This is the first minute I have had the time to check in here.  What I cannot believe is that I left sunny warm Ireland to come back to the frozen tundra of the north-east!  Has North America lost its only copy of a calendar or something?  Despite the really wonderful weather I managed to do 14 miles today.

In comparison here is a shot of me during a run in Ireland where it was not 20°, unlike where I was running today.

Running in Phoenix Park, Dublin Ireland

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – hopefully your cold, and the cold weather, will let up for your half.

Carolyn – is this Moab 50K on the same route as the marathon in November was?

CNYrunner – no Siri here, but my phone ringtone is the Tardis…..

Erika – At least the spectators weren’t throwing rocks…..Happy Belated Birthday to your DS1! 22 – how time has flown….

Twocat - welcome back!

8 miles for me this morning in a breezy 32 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Wow, there's a lot in here today!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evan, happy birthday to your son.  Nice long runs for mari and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was some wind.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:20 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS