Masters Running

The Sunday Daily, 3.8.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great phamily photo, Marj.

Congrats on your 3rd place AG yesterday, Tammy, and to David for 2nd OA. I agree with your coach that you will PR again.

"Still alive here and doing OK..." Sometimes, Holly, that's good enough. However, I hope that "doing OK" becomes "doing great" very soon.

Nice racing,, Tselbes, and congrats on the 2nd AG!

Mike, I'd blame the wind.

Deeze, we do get it, and understand the frustration of a runner who can't run. I hope the new PT can work some magic for you. Meanwhile, keep doing what you can.

Nice 18er, Mariposai. We'll take one of those magic wands too.

No matter how you slice it or climb it, Tet, that's a heck of a lot of stairs!

11.6 RW miles in the darkness brought on only by the @#&%*!! change to DST. Did I ever tell you how much I hate having that clock change throw me back into darkness on my workouts for another 2 months?? But, despite that I had a good workout this morning, and managed to hit negative splits. The only downside was that the temp dropped another 4 or so degrees after I left the house, and that was enough to get me pretty chilled by the time I got back. But isn't that what hot showers are for??

Keep smiling; have a greta Sunday (whatever time it is)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Well, today is Holly's birthday and I wish her much happiness and it's too bad she is recuperating today. Make the best of it Holly and get well soon.

So EK was the only one who knew that state was Alaska.  Who would have thought she would get it.

Well done Tamster!  And Marj, that is a nice family gathering.

It's raining here, so instead of going out to the Lake, we did 5.4 at the nearby park so that if it got really bad we wouldn't be several miles from the car, and that worked out okay.

Most weekends my son Hudson works 3-11, so he closes the supermarket and does the accounting for all the registers, which in turn means he's not here for dinner, and the Saint and I just have dinner for two.  I made a composed salad last night, with salmon for me and filet mignon for her.  Tonight I may just make sandwiches.  I saw Jay's delicious dinner last night with the cranberry sauce he stole from twocat.  Looked good.

Spareribs

Tramps

Happy birthday, Holly.  Hope you got something nicer than oral surgery. Feel better soon.

Nice long runs from Robin, Mari, and Mike yesterday.

Jlynne—looking forward to seeing that one, too.  It’s on our Netflix queue.

Ribs—from blog baron to movie star.

Dave and Tammy—nice racing!  It hurts though, doesn’t it?

Jay—I’m always impressed at the number of trainings that you do.  Nice.

Stumpy—yeah “amusing” is one word for it.  They just have no capacity for snow plowing other than the major roads, so all my running spots disappear.   Usually, we get up-and-down temps so any ice and snow doesn’t stay around very long.  But with the deep freeze this year, it stuck around and got very icy slick.  I know; it’s all relative.

Denise—sorry hear of the continuing problems.

A local race scheduled for today was postponed due to the snow banks and still-icy conditions.  Try again next week.  But our sudden, dramatic warm-up continues.  Felt like Spring this morning with temps in the 40s.  Out for an easy 10.

Be safe. Be kind.

Happy birthday Holly! I hope your teeth feel well enough to handle some cake and ice cream

Ups and downs - very funny Mike!

It sounds like you do the cooking most nights, Ribs. Wish that was the case at my house. I remember a few years back when I was working full time and on a rant about having to do all of the cooking, laundry, etc. I said we were going to take turns and each week, DS#2 (now gone) and DH were going to take a night to plan the evening meal. For a couple of weeks, DH brought home frozen dinners from the cafeteria of the hospital that he was one of the administrators for. Can any of you ever remember having a GOOD dinner from a hospital cafeteria?! That ended quickly.

Sorry about your cancelled race Tramps, though it sounds like the weather continues to improve.

Like Jay, it was back to running in the dark this morning. Not a big fan of "falling back" and "springing forward." DH and I got into a discussion about why this even started. Wasn't it to save electricity during the war?  Anyway, downright balmy at 24° at 6:30. It hasn't been that warm here in weeks. 7.5 miles, a lot slower than I would have liked. But it sure was nice to hear the birds chirping and squint into the bright morning sun. Have a great day, good people!

Henrun

Happy birthday, Holly and heal fast. (((Deez)))

We had agreata family party yesterday to celebrate Marj's new AG. Today is her actual birthday.

We just returned from celebratory runs on Heartbreak Hill with the droves. 6 for me. Now to finally relax

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I forgot to move my clock up an hour before I fell asleep last night.  So when I woke up at just before 8am, I was "perfect, time to run---oh carp, it's 9am and I'm late getting out".  But I got in 6.5 miles and made it out of the shower for most of FIL's regular Sunday call.  So regular, in fact that if we haven't heard from him by 10:29, we're wondering what's up.

Nice long runs/walks for Jay, Jlynne, Tramps, the Texas twosome, and Henry.

Another side benefit of my group run yesterday was while we were having our coffee in the running shop, I mentioned the number of boxes of shirts that were along a wall and wondered if they had a race coming up.  the woman that had led the group run said "no, they're from the Hyannis marathon that got cancelled at the end of Feb.  Very few people have come by to ask for their shirts--want one?"  These were nice cotton long sleeve shirts, so I took one.  Most of my existing cotton race shirts are showing signs of age so a replacement is welcome.  There is, of course, the small moral dilemma--do I wear a shirt for a race that I didn't run out in public?  Before I had a marathon, or even a half, on my resume, I wouldn't.  Now I feel a little more conflicted.  It will make a nice sleep shirt regardless.  What's your guys' opinion?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

New skirt in town

I hope someone made Holly a nice, soft birthday cake. Or at least some yummy ice cream with a candle on top!  And Happy New AG to Marj!

Easy day after running long yesterday.  I did my Oregon Project Hip Stability workout, followed by 3.5 easy miles on the treadmill, and then off to my ballroom dance lesson.  Rumba and Cha cha today.

Denise, I'm sending healing vibes your way!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - I would blame the wind, too, and for good reason!

I had forgotten that Marj and I are birthday sisters - Happy Birthday Marj!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes.  I am not really celebrating it today, but Friday night DH and I have plans to go out to eat with friends at a new restaurant that comes highly recommended.

My DH asked if he could take a picture of my face and post it on FB and I told him, "Not a chance!"

The oral surgeon told me I was not to run for 3-4 weeks, so I asked if it would be okay to run 20 miles on 3/29, which is 3 weeks 2 days after the surgery and 3 weeks before my next marathon and nicely timed for a nice long run, and he sort of went into fits, going on and on about this being too extreme and I would be endangering my health and some more of that sort of thing.  Hmmm.  I take it that I am not to treat bone-grafting surgery like I would a root canal.  Oh well.  I will have a follow up appointment in a couple weeks and we will revisit that question, I guess.  Could be my next good long run will be the marathon itself.  Just like Tet.    I asked DH to set up my bike trainer in the garage so at least I can get some calorie-burning in during my non-running time.

I got a big kick out of what my friend Renee posted on FB.  Under a picture of us in Moab, she wrote,"Happy Birthday to our courageous friend Holly!!! You have taught us that Life begins at the end of our comfort zone!"  Made me laugh.  That sure was one tough race, but quite an adventure.  I think my friends Renee and Tara were not sure for a while whether they were happy I had talked them into it or not.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Another side benefit of my group run yesterday was while we were having our coffee in the running shop, I mentioned the number of boxes of shirts that were along a wall and wondered if they had a race coming up.  the woman that had led the group run said "no, they're from the Hyannis marathon that got cancelled at the end of Feb.  Very few people have come by to ask for their shirts--want one?"  These were nice cotton long sleeve shirts, so I took one.  Most of my existing cotton race shirts are showing signs of age so a replacement is welcome.  There is, of course, the small moral dilemma--do I wear a shirt for a race that I didn't run out in public?  Before I had a marathon, or even a half, on my resume, I wouldn't.  Now I feel a little more conflicted.  It will make a nice sleep shirt regardless.  What's your guys' opinion?

Kevin, I've got a bunch of shirts from races I haven't run.- either races I've bagged or Marj's rejects( and several are sleep shirts). They're good replacement for the race shirts I've worn out.

C-R

Hi friends.

Not much to post but have bEen lurking and thought I better post something soon or be labeled a stalker. Heh.

Got a nice 15 yesterday and an easy 7 today. With the temps up it was good to be outside. Busy travel week ahead So I guess I should enjoy what I can. My mother fell and fractured a part of her hip but not the pelvis. Pretty nercing few days. My grandmother passed a couple of weeks back and it was a fall in January and broken hip that started the chain events. Stuff they don't put in life's manual book. Oh well one day at a time.

Happy birthday holly and marj. Hope you feel better soon holly. Also good luck deez in getting that solved. No fun being on the sidelines.

Wow tet. That's lots of stairs and steps. Beautiful part of the country. Makes me want to visit again.

Have a great Sunday and hopefully I can't post a bit more as I enjoy the conversations

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy birthday to two wonderful birthday twins!  And new AGs for both of you, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - love it!  Wish I was there....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Birthday, Holly and Marj!

Holly - Don't mess with the bone graft.  You definitely don't want to go through all that again.  I've been substituting one workout a week with my bike on its trainer, and I like it.  I do speed work, and am basically a sweating, dripping mess by the end.  One of the speed workouts is a 45 min to 1 hour ride with 10 x 1 min hard in the middle, with 1-2 min of recovery between each hard.  It's a great way to get the legs moving fast without the pounding of pavement.  When I was on crutches for 3 mos., I lived on my bike and in the pool doing pool running.  Good luck!

Kevin - Wear the shirt.

Tet - If I had access to stairs like that, I'd like to believe it'd turn me into a climbing monster.

This past week was the first full week of workouts in almost 2 weeks, and by the time I finished yesterday's 16, my body was feeling it.  Geez!  Last night was my Saturday to work the Welcome Center at church, but I tell ya, I could've just crawled into bed around 4:00 and slept through night.  This morning I had to squat down to the floor for something and oof!  The legs are still talking to me.

There's a race a couple of hours from here called the 4 MPH Challenge that I need to put on my radar for next year.  It's based off a similar race that was started in Tennessee called the Big Backyard Ultra.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  . . . . Did I already mention that??

Posie if you find that magic wand, I'd like to borrow it.  Between doing some grocery shopping, vacuuming, doing a load of laundry, and fixing breakfast and dinner, I don't know where the day went.  Now I'm in front of the computer putting off doing some transcription.

Hey - Any suggestions for a good, economical blender?  Ours sucks.  We saw an Oster at Costco for about $35.  They also had the Ninja for $150, but I am not - and cannot - pay that kind of money for blender.  I'm willing to go up to about $50 or $60, but that's about it.

Okay - Enough procrastinating.  Off to do some transcription ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Happy Birthday Holly and Marj...sorry...I can't beat wildchild's cards.  They're the best, though, aren't they?

Anyway--I did another 6 miles, today...52:33.

Okay--that's it--gotta go--see ya!

Photos of the snow pack in a portion of the Sierra Nevadas from 2009 to the present.  . . . or should I say lack thereof?  California is in a world of hurt.  Click on the picture and it'll take you through the set.  Very sobering.

US National Weather Service

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance