Masters Running

40's on the run - on the move again (Read 839 times)

Leslie: I need to talk to you about altitude sickness!! Roll eyes ya can't b.s. your body!
    Oh no, I have no misconceptions about altitude sickness. However, I am encouraged by the fact that when we ran in the Trinity Alps last August (total elevation approx. 6,000) we did pretty good. That was straight up and then back down. We definitely felt the lack of oxygen on the way up, and that, combined with our loaded packs, left us a bit breathless. The SOB is up, down, up, down, up, down . . . It'll be interesting!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

IMHO It'll still help ya to spend some time training @ altitude!! when I do, I feel like supergirl when I subsequently run @ lower el's Wink sooo, I'm thinking as I get stronger, I could seriously sandbag my own times by doing a sea-level race..HA!
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

K, its set have an MRI on the hip scheduled for tuesday morn, official x-ray read was negative, just going to make a big ol week of it as I have hopefully my last round of oral surgery on my teeth recon thing friday, and farmer continuing ed on wednesday. Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

R2 - Sheesh, sounds like you have a real fun week ahead. Bring your patience.Getting the MRI might be interesting - are you going to the open MRI place? Here's hoping you don't have a stress fracture, just an ordinary 40-sumpin' owie. Smile Leslie - thanks. Not surprised that keeping the tootsies comfy is all about the socks. Great news, I really love nice socks. ALSO - are you going to run the whole 50K?? How do you train for a 50K trial run with terrain and all?? WOW!! I'm just so impressed. Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Farm - Good Luck with all that.We are all really pulling for you.I'm sure you'll be back out on your farm roads before ya know it. Btw,that last pic that you put out of the sunrise/set,is still the background on my display.Beautiful. Leslie-more questions on the race.I was google mapping Ashland Or,where that race is.The trails seem to be real wide?They look like dirt roads,very defined.Maybe the pics were just in a dry summer. Smile ps:if you guys want to hear a great running story,jump over to this thread: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/4b3e22a1bb854f6392a19bf95371f6b8#focus

The SOB starts at the ski resort, beyond that I don't know much about the area. Karen's sister ran it last year, so she'll be giving us some info closer to the date. As far as training for the 50k, or any extended trail run: You gotta conserve, conserve, conserve, especially in the beginning. You have to really monitor your carbo and fuel intake, which means I am always trying new things on my regular Saturday trail runs. I crapped out pretty bad after my last race/run because I wasn't getting enough electrolyte and carb replacements in me. And it's a run/walk thing, walk the hills, run the downs/flats. I absolutely love trail running. It gives me a sense of accomplishment like nothing else ever has.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

r2, you really know how to have a fun week! Oh well, good to get it all outta the way. mtnchk, sounds like a plan re: running a race in the flatlands! Got a question fer ya. If someone reacts badly to the altitude once, will they forever more do so? Hubby felt pretty lousy as we visited some friends at about 8600 feet several years ago. Since then he hasn't tried staying above about 6K feet. He seems to be able to go higher during the day, as long as we stay lower at night if that makes sense. Any tips or tricks to help him enjoy the mountains more? leslie, glad you are getting aggressive with that cold. Bet you're getting really excited about your trip, and all the work you are going to leave behind Smile howdy to arla, joe and everyone else on a previous page that I may have missed (sorry, the short term memory is not so great and I don't know how to review the previous pages from here). Speaking of missing....I don't think we've heard from Tamara lately. Hope we didn't lose her in our latest move. And remember Oxfordmom? I fear she will never find us. As for running, had a nice 5 mile run yesterday with decent splits (10:25, 10:48, 10:19, 10:18, 10:46). The last mile has lots of uphill, so I was pleased to have enough gas in the tank for that. I also contacted the local running group that hubby signed us up with, and heard back from a few others running around 11:15 pace, so think I may give that a try this Saturday. Mom wants to run the "Bold in the Cold" 5K on 1/19, and I think I'll do that with her. Was originally planning to run in the 15K, but I don't think that would be smart since I haven't run anything over 6 miles since my hip issue. Seem to have had a relapse with my cold last night, so will see whether I feel up to lifting weights later today. Happy humpty dumpty day!
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                  Mornin' Sunshines! Carol - I am getting excited, but nervous, too. But that's pretty typical for me when I go out of the country. Listen to me - sounds like I do it all the time. Blush Been to Mexico twice and to St. Lucia. That's the extent of my worldly travels. Colds, colds, colds. Don't let it get the best of you! Farmer Jim - May as well get all the pesky medical stuff done all at once, eh? Pretty soon, you'll have enough experience you can hang out your own shingle! My buddy, Karen, is looking into adopting a Red Coonhound (?), so looks like we'll have another running buddy! It'll be fun! Don't worry - we know she'll have to be broken in a little bit at a time. I keep reminding Karen of that - probably much to her irritation. This has been a lazy week for me, thus far . . . vacation syndrome?? Have a great Hump Day!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Carol: Ref the altitude ?....not necessarily. Firstly, our bodies are ever changing complexities....Secondly, I don't know what all may have been going on internally w/him for that particular trip...but if I assume approximately sea level for where you live (640'), that's quite an elevation change! If you're the least bit sleep deprived or a little dehydated (didn't drink enough water, had a couple of beers...) or have a cold/flu coming on...that much barometric pressure change would most likely kick your butt regardless! The absolute best thing that you can do in prep is get plenty of rest & hydration - think marathon prep!! & on the subject of hydration, pay attention to diuretics! Avoid coffee, or switch to decaf, chocolate, cold meds, alcohol, etc. can dehydrate you more than you think! Eliminating them as much as several days in advance can make all the difference in the world! Also beef up your antioxidants ~ boost your bright/dark colored fruits & veggies &/or take a supplement (yes limited red wine counts before you go up! Once you get there, take it easy for the 1st day or two & see how you feel before doing anything very athletic...Also, there are medications that can effectively help w/acclimatization! As well as most mountain hotels have "oxygen bars!" Then there's always: "Climb high, Sleep Low" Hope this helps Wink Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Hi All, New poster, old runner here. 40s on the run sounds about right. I usually do about 30 miles per week, mostly roads, with some track work when the snow melts and the motivation doesn't melt. Not a big racer. Thanks YDD

Top 'O the World!

My buddy, Karen, is looking into adopting a Red Coonhound (?), so looks like we'll have another running buddy! It'll be fun! Don't worry - we know she'll have to be broken in a little bit at a time. I keep reminding Karen of that - probably much to her irritation. quote> KEWL!! also, can I get your email? I have some too cute kitties I'd like to ship yas! Wink Welcome YDD!!
                          Welcome, Yabba!! Clowning around

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

50 halfs by age 50

I did 30 slow, easy minutes on the TM tonight. Probably will be the last run before the marathon on Sunday. I have severe taper madness Clowning around don't know how the folks at work are going to stand me tomorrow Big grin

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Top 'O the World!

Don't worry about it, Just enjoy their expressions!! Big grin
                                I have severe taper madness . . .
                                I don't have taper madness, but I do have "if this one client calls me one more frigging time today, I will hunt her down and choke the life out of her. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhh!! Angry Angry

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance