Masters Running

Wed Mar 19 Runs and Workouts (Read 678 times)

Is spring around the corner? At 44F, I ran in shorts today. The roads were a little wet but the forecasted rain wasn't there at least during our runs. Easy 7 for me -- nothing special to report. Workout: 6.1 miles, 8:34/mi, AHR 143 Overall: 7.1 miles, 1:01 Good runs, all.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! IRC here too... 53F Finally a nice consistent set of 1000's. 8 mi in 1:07:43 (8:27) with 4 x 1000m and 100 sec jog intervals: time(pace) 4:17 (6:53), 4:19 (6:57), 4:20 (6:58), 4:19 (6:57) Have great runs! Short week! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning all, Just in from a super run with SkipAZ in Syracuse. He was kind enough to make the trek to where I am staying and at 5 AM no less. We went for about 8.9 miles at a nice recovery pace---39F and raining. It was awesome to have the company as we logged some post workout miles. Thanks my friend! Smile Time to get on with the day....on to Dayton tonight. Good runs all! CNYrunner
          14 miles in 2:06 overall time with 5 repeats of 7 minutes each at a moderate pace (i.e. tempo), 2 minutes rest between. Tempo for me is 7:44 to 8:00. I knew this one would be a challenging one as we've had a steady 20-25 mph wind for three days now. Happens every March down here. I decided to run into the wind going out and with it coming back. The repeats: 8:15 (this one run into the wind), 7:57 (half into and half with), 7:45, 7:50, and 7:54. A solid, but effort-filled run this morning. CNYrunner called her run yesterday a "swear word" run or something like that (I think ALL her runs are swear word runs actually!) I can't call mine that really. But I thought of a few nice swear words as I was pushing into that *?>&$%@ wind ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

TomS - sorry to read about your mother-in-law. You are blessed to have such a close knit family. I wish you would have yelled out when you passed my exit last Sunday, I would have waved!! Wink Nice long mid-week run Breger! CNY - you are so lucky to run with so many of our fellow Boomers!! BTB - I keep thinking about trying to wear my headlamp around my waist but am afraid to try it. What if it is too small??? Oy! I decided to give Intervals a try for the first time in 2008. I programed my Garmin for 1/4 mile runs with .15 mile rests in between. Thought I'd start out with 6 of them and go from there. Overall a 4.25 mile run including a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. Brinkley was not happy to have to stay home today. 1st - 2:20 (stopped running too soon - not sure what I was thinking) 2nd - 2:05 3rd - 2:08 4th - 2:10 5th - 2:11 6th - 2:08 I'll do this same workout next time and try to keep the numbers consistant before adding on. Happy Hump Day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 7.05 recovery-paced miles today (ave pace 10:00) in 52 degrees and heavy rain. This time I wore a running skirt, trading soggy pants for wet legs. Not too bad, but my hands were numb by the time I was done. Hopefully it will be a little dryer for my run with CNYrunner tomorrow. We’re making an offer on a house today, contingent on our own home passing the 7 inspections (count ‘em – SEVEN inspections) and our sale going forward. The house is the only one on the market right now in the areas we’re looking that has most of what we’re looking for, except for natural gas, but DH has decided a heat pump might not be so bad. Ah, the continuing saga…. DS has an earache this morning, so we’re off to the doctor. Happy, healthy runs to all!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hill Runner

Good morning, 6.13 miles of hills @ 9:32 pace..easy recovery pace for me this morning, first run since my marathon on Sunday. Everything seems OK so far Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

CNY - you are so lucky to run with so many of our fellow Boomers!!
                  Naw, WE'RE the lucky ones to get to run with CNY! She is a gem! What a great start to a new day. Your turn Holly! Enjoy the gift folks. Skip

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all Smile Thanks for starting us out WRFB on this hump day. Nice runs already this morning WRFB, Perch, CNY, Bill, Mary, Holly, Peter, and everyone else who posts after me. Good luck with the inspections Holly....selling, buying, and everything in between is a royal pain in the butt, huh? Rest day for me last night because I felt too sore and tired for a run....plus my IT band is a little too sore and tight for my liking. I feel super good this morning and should be good to go tonight, but not doing any speed work till my IT band feels 100%. I had a serious bout with this injury a few years ago, and I did everything I knew and read about to get rid of this nagging injury. Finally, I just left it alone and it healed up real quick and haven't had the problem since. Actually, shorter strides and forefoot running is what helped the most....which I will concentrate more on now....sometimes I think we revert back to bad habits without realizing it. Hope all that are dealing with loses, illnesses, personal problems, injuries, will get well soon Smile I really like this forum because it is full of men and women who really care and are concerned. Have a wonderful day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning Boomers. Lots of awesome boomer runs in less than ideal conditions. Cross training day for me today, and a well needed break from running. 45 minutes on the eliptical trainer followed with leg and ab work. Holly - good news on your offer. Is the house exactly what you're looking for (except for the natural gas)? Mary - good job on the intervals. I'll bet Brinkley gave you "the look" when you left the house without him this morning! Peter, glad your first post race run went well. Your report was wonderful. Tim - it's good you're listening to your body and easing up for a while. Excited about the NCAA tournament starting tomorrow. We have a pool at work, and though I don't follow college basketball all that closely (except for the Badgers), it's always fun to throw in $5.00 and make some dumb picks! Good runs, everyone. Jeanne
                        Good morning, all! Some amazing runs already this morning - way to go, gang! Holly - hugs for your DS - ear aches can be so painful. Wildchild - yes, Jesse is an "it" now. She didn't do too badly with doors, but the stairs were a real challenge. At one point she just gave up and I either had to hold the collar up or carry her so she could make it up the stairs. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing and insulting her even more. Have a great time in Japan! Drizzle and sleet here this morning - very ugly day so far. 6.5 miles on the treadmill. I woke up with a very sore throat and contemplated bagging the run, but, after walking Jesse, I felt good enough to hit the treadmill. DH and I are headed for the flagship LL Bean store in Maine this weekend. It's our first trip to Maine, and we're looking forward to the drive. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

DH and I are headed for the flagship LL Bean store in Maine this weekend. It's our first trip to Maine, and we're looking forward to the drive.
                          Oh, you are going to love it up there! I took MrHopeful out there a few years ago for a 2nd Honeymoon and we had a blast. LLBean is super Kewl! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

SueT48 - Hey, you will be driving right past our highway exit (#17 - Yarmouth) on your way to LL Bean! It's less than a 15-minute drive for us to get there. The Y I go to is pretty close by there. You will have a wonderful time! I swear, the sales people are the best ANYWHERE. I love going at non-crowded times (10 pm, say) so you can talk to them longer! If you like barbeque, Buck's Naked BBQ (a little ways south, on Route One) is really good! Gritty McDuff's is also good, especially if you like freshly-brewed beer. It's on Route One, also. If you want an outstanding meal, look up Portland online - we have an amazing number of excellent restaurants there. If you have any other questions about Maine, let me know! I adore this state (except for the non-existent spring, lol). Teresa
                              3 easy miles this morning to keep up my pace. I am running in the morning because we are scheduled for rain later in the day when I normally run. It was a nice run although I labor a lot more in the morning than when I am awake later in the day. This is a FUN time of year if you like basketball. Jlynne mentioned the office pools and all. The college game is SO much more fun to watch (for me) than the NBA. You just never know with these college kids which player or team is going to make the play/game of their lifetime. It is pure fun to the basketball fan. As I have mentioned, I do some radio for the local university women's basketball team and we are off Friday for our game. I got a packet of information yesterday that is basically the "do's" and "don'ts" of the opening two rounds. It was 64 pages long and covered such subjects as who can make use of the strobe lights that the Sporting News requests for photos. Just because they are there and on does not mean that the "local affiliate" can use them unless the Sporting News or ESPN decides they don't want to use them at which case...yada...yada....yada. BUT....after 64 pages, it doesn't even tell you what time the game is being played. Of course this is because ESPN2 is telecasting the game and wants to reserve the right to decide what time the game will be played. It is QUITE a process. The good side is......it is great basketball. And since it is a "hobby" for me, to be a part of it is pure fun. Sue.....make sure you get off I-95 and the Maine Turnpike to get to see some of the Maine coast. If you get off along Route 1 to see York Beach, Ogunquit Beach, and Wells Beach, it will be worth your while. It is only a mile or so away from the Turnpike. I wish I was there. Maine is a great place.
                              Vista
                                Did my prescribed stretches this morning, then a general workout and strength exercises at the rec center. The local Hanson's running shop is having a special event for members of my running club this evening, with refreshments and special merchandise discounts. I was looking forward to it, but now am not sure about buying that pair of shoes or shorts that I was thinking about. It's hard to get into the mood for new stuff if I have no idea when I'll actually be able to try it out. Confused Have some good ones today, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"