Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 2.24.13 (Read 50 times)

Congrats Ribs...

Sluggish 10 on tired legs...ugh...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    TammyinGP

Congrats Ribs!! That's excellent! And I think the more you trail run and the less you pay attention to "time", the more you'll enjoy it. For me, that was the harder part initially - accepting that a hilly trail run for a 10K was NOT going to ever be a 10K PR, or really even that close it, then my road 10K time. So, once I quit paying attention to what my time was and just enjoyed the trails, nature, the silence, the views, then it became so much more enjoyable. for me, at least.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations Ribs!  That is really fantastic.

Well...I'm not sure what is going on with me.  The way I was talking about doing a 24 miler today...after doing 10, yesterday...I thought I was setting myself up for a big let down.  Okay...you're going to think I'm nuts, but this is how I looked at it...I was just going to do my 8 miler 3 times.  8 miles is nothing...and, as we all know (except for Tammy) 3 x nothing...is nothing.  Well, I have to say, I have never felt better on a long run in my life.  I knew that if I wanted to go under 3 hours, I would have to do each 8 miler under an hour...which is a 7:30 pace.  So, I just concentrated the whole time and was able to maintain that pace or better the whole way.  I ended up doing 24.2 miles in 2:58:46.  So...now, I'm a little worried.  I know that I could have run a 3:15 marathon today without any problem.  I still have 2 month to go before Kentucky.  Am I peaking too soon?  Or do I just have 2 more months to improve?  Hmmm...

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Mike!  Nice run!  Isn't 8 miles in an hour a PBJ special?  I guess you did three of those!

I've heard that thing about long runs over 3 hours not doing any good, but I think that only applies to fast runners.  For me, at my trail pace, I might only get 14-15 miles in 3 hours.  And I figure if it'll take me 5 or 6 hours to run a trail marathon, I should practice being on my feet for that long in training runs.

Tammy, +1 on ignoring time and enjoying the trails!  I remember after the Moab Trail Marathon, which was the most beautiful course I've run (so far!)  I finished in 5:30 and thought there was no way I won anything - but when I checked the results, I was 3rd in my AG out of 18. Paces are just way slower on trails.

Ribs, congrats on your 1st ultra, and 1st AG!  And on pavement, no less. And hilly?  Or do you just mean hilly for Texas? Really nice that Riblet ran you in!

Nice racing for Tramps and Norm, too.

It's turned into a rest day for me - we got quite a bit of snow, and can't get the plow truck started.  I took the dogs for a walk in the tire tracks, but no way it's runnable.   We were going to try to jump start the old plow truck, but can't find the tire chains for it.  Probably buried in the snow somewhere...

Jeanne, good luck to you and your DH.  Maybe when you're feeling crabby you can visit your new grandson!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

And I figure if it'll take me 5 or 6 hours to run a trail marathon, I should practice being on my feet for that long in training runs.

Yep--I would have to agree with that.  By the way, your 25 miler, yesterday, was a real motivator for me, today...thanks.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Congratulations Ribs!

5.2 recovery paced miles today, which included pacing a newbie runner friend of mine in the inaugural running of a local 5k fun run. It was untimed and very low-key and quite fun... and my friend finished in close to 15 minutes faster than her first ever 5k that she did on New Year's Day, so it really was a win for everyone today. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - nice run!  I agree with Carolyn re: us slower runners and that 3-hour thing.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."