Masters Running

Saturday - July 4th - 2015 (Read 35 times)

Dave59

So, What's Up?

I ran a 10k this morning.  Not as well as I hoped, but I gutted out a 56:38 on very tired legs.  9 minutes off my 10k PR I set on this very course in 2011.

Race #8 for 2015,

Race #127 in Michigan.

Race #174 since starting to keep track.

I was talking to a guy who knows Doug (Rochrunner).  I think he said his name was Dr. Mike.  He turned 70 this year and is trying to run 70 races.  This was #46.  His last one will be a marathon in California where he has some kids and grandkids.  He has been getting kid sized shirts at his races to give to the grandkids.

King of PhotoShop

Good racing Dave. So this guy you met who is getting kid-sized shirts to give to his grandkids is a cheapskate I guess.

Slept late, then went to the park for 4+ slow. Glad this week is over!  Spareribs

I was talking to a guy who knows Doug (Rochrunner).  I think he said his name was Dr. Mike.  He turned 70 this year and is trying to run 70 races.  This was #46.  His last one will be a marathon in California where he has some kids and grandkids.  He has been getting kid sized shirts at his races to give to the grandkids.

So you ran at the Volkslaufe in Frankenmuth? Yeah, Dr. Mike is a good friend and we're in the same running club. His goal of 70 races at 70yo is ambitious, but he's obviously well ahead of schedule. At least he's out of my AG for another year or so! But it does give me time to come up with some sort of 70-related running/biking gimmick, which is traditional in our crowd.

A lazy weekend for me, but I'm sticking close to home to take advantage of time with my DS. This afternoon we're off to see the new Terminator movie after having watched the original movie on Netflix last evening (he had never seen that one). Good fun!

Have a safe & happy 4th, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Nice race, Dave.

Neat meeting a FOD's.   That's a lot of races in a year!

Freedom 5K over the (unshaded, concrete) bridge was hot.  Got the Grandmasters in 22:19.  9/288 women.

Some burrowing owls and their young were perched near where I parked; picture doesn't capture their oiliness.  Really sweet.

happiest of 4ths; love this holiday and the Declaration.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

fatozzig best wishes to your and your dad through this rough time.

deez4boyz the bicycle spirits are clearly ticked off at you!  Did you do something mean to a hand break?  

wildchild you always seem to be running in some of the world's most spectacular settings!

Holly S. as they say the best laid plans . . .

tetsujin209 we could use some of your heat out east!  Although, if you can, see about saving it up and sending it in January or February.  

Dave59 and rochrunner forget the being 70 part!  Just doing 70 races in one year seems nearly impossible!  About 1.5 per weekend!!!  

Today was wacky distance race #1 in the local series.  The web page bills it as 2.3 miles, but the certified course is 2.17.  I know why the web page is wrong but the story is so convoluted I would be typing here for an hour.  Let me just say, it makes zero sense and I wish they would fix the web page.  I treated the race as a chance to do some speedwork.  I ran to the start (quicker than I had planned because I got going late!) made it just a few seconds before the gun went off and then ran home.  Good thing these local races always go off 10 minutes late!  A total of 9.5 miles or so all in.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Happy 4th, everyone!

Good racing on tired legs, Dave, and congrats on #174!

Ribs, that guy is probably paying $20-25 for each of those shirts for his grandkids.

Have fun with DS, Roch.

Congrats on the 5K success, Grandmaster Aamos! For you to say the weather is hot is going some...

"I ran to the start (quicker than I had planned because I got going late!) made it just a few seconds before the gun went off and then ran home."  Twocat, the way I first read this, it sounded like you ran to the race for the start, and then immediately ran home, ignoring the course, whatever its distance. That would be an interesting way to 'participate' in a race...

I raced the "4 On The Fourth" in York, ME this morning. It was overcast and in the low 60, which is about as good as it gets (for those of us who prefer it cool) in July. I've yet to master keeping my cadence at 180 or higher (I was in the upper 170s for most of the race, and dropped down to the lower 170s when I got distracted in the last mile), and ti showed in my results. I finished in 41:41, but should have been much closer to 41:00. Still, it was good enough for 1st place among the racewalkers today, so that's good enough. I stopped at the farmer's market on the way home and got a big tote bag full 'o fresh veggies. We have a family of 4 arriving for a 5-day visit tomorrow, so we'll easily go through those veggies before they leave. Maybe some local fireworks tonight, but more yard work until then.

Have a greta and safa Fourth!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - my legs are still tired from last weekend, too.  Aamos of course is making us look bad with her super-woman running, but that's okay...

Grocery shopping with DH this morning, 9 holes of golf with DH and DD starting at 11am, then lunch at the course grill after.  It is such a lovely day out there today!

Now I am going to make Spicy Thai Slaw to take to a cook-out later, and maybe start working on the weeds in the garden and flowerbeds.

Happy 4th of July!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Happy Independence Day!

Way to tough it out, Dave...I sure do know how you feel.

I hope next week goes better for you, Ribs.

Have fun at the movies with your son, roch.

Amy...Holly said it...you are a "super-woman"!  Congratulations!

Nice run today, Twocat.  Glad you could fit a race in there, too.

Nice race for you, too, Jay!  1st racewalker!  That's cool.

Typical day for Holly...she gets more done before noon than I do all dang week.  Enjoy your day, Holly!

Well...today was the National Senior Games 10K.  I am such a dumb runner!  I'll be honest--I went there to win.  I went through the 1st mile in 5:50 and thought, "Wow, that was easy."  I did the 1st 5K in the low 18's, was 3rd overall, and was 1st in my age group.  The next 5K weren't so good.  I was passed by 3 guys and barely hung on to even finish.  I was dead!  Somehow, I still managed a 3rd place age group place and ended up with a time of 38:38.  I just feel that, if I had started out a little bit slower, I would have been able to do better.  Of course, if I had to do it all over again, I would...well...I would do my 1st mile in 5:50 and the 1st 5K in the low 18's...yeah...I never learn.

Okay--that's it--gotta go--my head is pounding!  See ya!

Henrun

Happy 4th to all. Some great racing today.

We decided a few days ago to run a ,local 5 K since many of our 65+ club were running it ( including our club pres. Who has a pending AG world record for the 5K-she finished in 21+ min. today- not bad for a 71 year old !). The weather was much like Jay' IRC. We both did well- my best 5k time for the year although I didn't beat the other 80+ runner who I usually do beat- he got me on the uphills. Our next race is another 5 K next Sunday in Toronto (we leave on Wednesday to visit family and classmates).

mrrun

What Henry  didn't mention is that last year the age groups were 60, 70 & 80.  This year they were 60+, so after the race about 10 65+ folks started "beating up" on the RD - and she agreed to change the results  It turns out the former RD has quit and they had trouble finding a replacement 2 months ago.  a bunch of pix were taken of us old folks and i'll try to post it if I can find it!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy 4th from Maine to everyone!

Probably won't make you feel any better, Dave, but that would be a PR for me. Nice run!  Lots of races, too

Ho hum, Amy got another AG.  I only say that because i'm incredibly jealous.

You're not hurt, are you TC?  That looks like your DL avatar.

Mike, i never raced a 10K when i was 18, but that's the only way I could imagine that speed.  It was the Nationals after all.  We're proud of you.

Jay--nice 4th 4 for you.

Holly--spicy Thai slaw sounds intriguing--recipe post, please?

as for me, my knee was feeling MUCH better, so i went out for 3.6 along the lakeside dirt road.  A little slow, but it felt good.  I'm saving the big hills for tomorrow.  Tonight we'll get in the boat and hang out watching the fireworks all around the lake.  now that fireworks are legal in ME, the private displays are PRETTY impressive.  I've looked at what some of the stuff they shoot off and can't imagine what some of these folks must be spending.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...at least my kid got it right at the Lander Wyoming Half Marathon...

Mariposai

Great racing everyone and way to go to MikeE kiddo

Holly, that coleslaw sounds Yumie.  Wanna sgare the recipe?

Spareribs,  you are going to miss your son. Funny, we have the same rules regarding thank you notes for gifts

We are having such a good time with our son Daniel.  We camped out last night and did an 8 miles hike today. Prior to hiking I did fit in a 6 miler in the woods.  Happy Posie here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Holly, that's a cute picture of your daughter.  Time does fly.  fatozzig, thinking of you and your dad.  Dave, nice 10K.  Aamos, congrats on grand masters win.  Jay, good job in your 4 mile race.  henrun, great 5K with best of year.  Mike, kudos to your son.  mari, it sounds like a great family vacation.

Nice long runs for Holly, Aamos, and wild.  Good job on the TM speedwork, evan.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was a light wind.  I got in 10 miles at an 11:33 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice long run for you, too, Tom.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.