Masters Running

question (Read 34 times)

dodger20

hello everyone i could use some input; i've come off an  injury ( strain to my hip and then knee) and i've worked myself up to a weekly total of 30-33 miles my weeks are aimed to be 5-6-5-6-5-6 sunday off i have'nt really pushed myself to do a long run my questions are as follows; what is the best way to increase my mileage from here? also how would i ease into my long runs once again so as to avoid further injury? my immediate goal would be to get my mileage to at least 40mpw if that's possible thanks in advance for any ideas or advice it's greatly appreciated

Mike E

MM #5615

I have always heard that a 10% increase per week is the safe way to go. Also, if I were you, I think I might add another rest day in the middle of the week.
      C-R

It depends. How severe was the strain? Still experiencing difficulties with those areas? Are you wanting to increase distance at the current pace? What type of terrain do you most often run? and so on.

Mike is correct that 10% is a starting ROT.

I'm one of these obsessed 7 day per week guys with rest only when business/life keeps me off the road. But I usually add 1 mile to a couple of midweek runs at the current pace and if I add long run miles I usually drop the pace by at least 1 minute per mile and add 2 miles to the long run. So in your case you could go 5-7-5-7-5-8 and increase over a few weeks time. I would suggest a cutback week every third week.

Oh and Mike is correct about possible second day off.

Lots of smarter runners on here that will give you some sound advice.

Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

I agree with MikeE and C-R. A 10% increase is what is typically recommended.

It all depend on how long you were off from running and what was your mileage before you got injured.

I also agree with MikeE about taking another day off in the middle of the week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Add a mile a week to your long run, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  ...back off when you get to 20 though.  

Runners run