Masters Running

Last Chance Daily, 12.31.14 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

It is so nice to see Aamos back posting and racing. Congrats on making progress on the comeback trail.

I'm looking forward to trying to meet up with Marj and Henrun at the Hangover Classic (Salisbury, MA) tomorrow. And I am disappointed that Deeze missed the cutoff and so we won't see her there.

Sounds like you went out too hard yesterday, Dave. We all need carpy days now and again to keep things in perspective.

Welcome back to Lamerunner too. Nice hiking on Mt. Madison. The onset of chilly weather should help get snow on the mountains for better skiing.

I got to bed late last night, and this morning, especially with remnants of my cold hanging on and another late night coming, I decided that I needed a little more sleep more than I needed a workout. We have a gaggle of relatives arriving today for 4 days of New Year's fun. For tonight, we'll have a big buffet so people can graze all night long, a fire roaring, a jigsaw puzzle for anyone who wants to spend a few minutes on it, the TV on for the ball drop, and plenty of wine. There will be fireworks at the beach that we'll gladly go to, but I have a feeling this group will rather stay in front of the fireplace. Tomorrow's big event is the 5K race and then we're all going underwear shopping (starting the new year with new foundations...). On Friday, we'll divide our guests into teams, with each one responsible for creating a dish for dinner - should be interesting. On Saturday, we're all going to our favorite dive for breakfast, and then we're sending everyone on their way home so we can all prepare to return to the real world on Monday.

Happy new Year, my friends!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow! That sounds really fun, Jay. Have a great time!
      Tramps

Have fun Jay!  We're heading out for dinner and a reggae concert tonight, which should be fun.

Unless I can get a 338-miler in this afternoon, I'm going to fall short of my 2014 mile goal for the year.  Rough one for me on the running front but I'm trying to recommit for the new year.  Call me a resolutionista.  I took most of December off but am building back some basic distance doing trail runs.  Out for 8 today on a chilly (26F) but beautiful morning.

Have a great evening and New Year's!

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy New Year's Eve!  I've been able to read the forum but not post - not sure why, but I guess the internet connection here is funky.  Anyway, I only need to run 3.3 miles today to get to a prime number both for December and for 2014!   Today's our last day in Baja - home to the cold tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

No final 2014 run for me today...The crud found it's way into the Schmit house. Nasty one...Comes with low grade fever and cough and sore throat. I got hit Sunday night, DW was down and out last night and not looking to chipper this AM.

Looking forward to a great 2015...Enjoy 2014 while it last!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm also skipping any runs today and based on Carolyn's reminder, find that (with very minor rounding) I'll end up with prime numbers for both month and year.

I'm doing better than that slacker, Tramps--I have only 266 miles to meet MY goal for the year.  Although I'm going to make a wild guess that his goal was a BIT higher than mine .

Guess you have to plan ahead for that race, Jay.  I went to the site yesterday to see when it was to find it closed out.  Would have been fun (and a challenge) to try and have a NY RA meet up.  Say Hi for me.

Very peaceful evening planned for us.  We'll go across the street and watch movies and eat large amounts of good things.  Even make it to midnight.

Wishing all of my RA friends a happy, healthy New Year filled with running and everything else that brings you joy in your lives.   This is a great community to be part of.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

I am so conflicted. I am on a prime number but have a streak of 200 mile months going. Oh well the OCD in me will get out for a short run.

Sounds like fun for Tramps and Jay. Enjoy.

Enjoy that ast day in the sun Carolyn.

Sorry about the crud thing Slo. Ick

Like you Dave, it will be quiet for us. A five hour drive north completing our family visit and a bottle of champagne with our neighbor friends and an early evening. I like watching the London fireworks because its five hours ahead of us and I can tape the NYC version to watch tomorrow. Much like that song. I't 5 o'clock somewhere - it must be midnight somewhere too.

Here's wishing all you masters and your families the best in 2015. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall gently on your fields.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I think we all need to head to Jay's house for New Years Eve!  And I like the fact you're all going underwear shopping tomorrow. 

I'm supposing everyone survived Christmas, Hannukkah, and whatever other celebrations may have been at hand, especially the ones that included family.

No run for me this a.m., but I did have a substantial workout in my little shed withe the space heating going full blast the whole time.  28 degrees in a shed with a cement floor (covered with indoor/outdoor carpet) and no insulation.  Incentive to keep moving!!

We won't be doing anything tonight, but tomorrow I'll be participating in my first group run.  Hoping to meet some peeps I may be able to run with a bit in the future.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year ~~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Tomorrow's big event is the 5K race and then we're all going underwear shopping (starting the new year with new foundations...). 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Unless I can get a 338-miler in this afternoon, I'm going to fall short of my 2014 mile goal for the year.  

Oh, come on, you still have time...

I came up a bit short of my running goal as well, but had some minor issues off and on with knee pain and Achillies pain.  No real injuries, though, so all is good.

I took the morning off as well, figuring that another day would help my creaky knee, and went early-morning grocery shopping instead, to save me from fighting the crowd after work.

No plan for tonight, other than a Redbox movie and an early night.  I have confidence the new year will arrive without my help.  

I am really hoping 2015 is a better year for me.  I have a couple of issues in my life I would like to get some resolution on, and would like to work harder at my running, instead of just puttering along all the time.  We'll see.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I promise to go back and read everyone's post but first I have to shout   NO MALIGNANCY!!!!!!  I have never been so relieved!!  We are still going to send the slides to Dana Farber for a second opinion but the surgeon is confident in the final path reports!!!

Thank you all for the support you have given me!!

4.7 miles this morning to end my year with 1430.2!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Woo Hoo Deez - Great News!!!!

Great news deez4boyz!!!

wildchild returning?  My sympathies!  It is freezing up northwards!

Speaking, or perhaps writing, of freezing I went out for 14 miles in the 20 degree weather we have on hand.  I really cannot believe people are going to spend all day and night in Times Square today to see that ball drop!  It is going to be brutal tonight!  Cold with a good strong wind to really cool you off.  Plus, remember there are NO porta potties in Times Square.  None.  Zero.  Zip.  Zilch.  If you leave you cannot go back.  Does everyone at the ball drop have on a pair of woolen Depends?  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

OhBoyOBoyOOOOOOOBOY!!!!That's just great, Deez!

My only other observation of note is that we seem to be taken with the idea of underwear shopping.

Perhaps that's because we all spend so much time running around in shorts and running tops.

Slow little pokey 4.5 for me this am.  Patience is a virtue, and not at all over-rated.  It's hard!

A podiatrist I consulted thinks the fact that I converted to midfoot striking (from rear foot) at the beginning of the year is the cause of the peroneal strain.  I've gotten some new more stable shoes and am back to heel first running, needless to say.  (Which is not to dis minimalist/barefoot running, just sharing my experience.)

Thank you all for caring.  May we all be happy and blessed, and be grateful for those blessings (perspective!) next year.

p.s......which it already is in part of the world.  That always strikes my fancy, that you could call someone in Sydney, say, and they'd be in 2015.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Shout away, Deez!!  What a great way to go into the new year!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.