Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 623 times)

lswife

Laurie and Kevin, Thanks for the advice about my joining the training club whose first run was "only" a 4 mile run this morning before I even got up. Sometime this week I'll call one of the two trainers and ask a few more questions. The fast runners wouldn't greatly discourage me as I'm resigned that I'm slow and am not particularly threatened by the fast people*. (After all, they're much younger, and I'm 60.) But I also need to be challenged or I'll stay a comfortable plodder. One of the trainers might be able to give me hints. I'm not after any speed records or anything - just to become a bit better and maybe run faster than my son (who ran CC in high school) can walk. Really - I'm not making it up. I enjoy reading all your posts and follow your progress and plans for all of the races. *Well, seeing kids under 15 zipping by me in races tends to embarrass me, but when they disappear way ahead of me leaving me with the other "older" and slower adults, I feel better. Also, I've found that we at the tail end of races encourage each other and have fun.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

lswife, my son IS 15, and my goal (seriously) is to run HALF as fast as he does! He can run a mile in 4:46, so I'm aiming for 9:32 (have a ways to go, lol). Of course, the problem is that he keeps improving, so it may be a lost cause. But he gets so excited that I'm running at all that he's very encouraging. My running partner is 57, 12 years older than I am, and she's always ahead of me! So I get passed by younger people and older ones. It doesn't matter, though! Teresa

Me

Good morning Everyone, Debbie, I hope you are feeling better. Laurie, It's good to see that you are out walking and not feeling too bad. Eliz, Jem and Teresa, You are all putting on some miles. Congrats. Jem, I love your new avatar Kevin, Hope everything is getting back to normal for you and your family. 4 miles for me this morning. It seems I was up all night as this nasty thunderstorm blew threw the area around 2:00 am. It was difficult to get up and get out the door this morning. Cheers Mike

Me

Good Morning Everyone, Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day. . . 34 degrees and raining. I love it. 4 miles this morning. I hope everyone is feeling OK. Deb, are you thinking that you will try to run in Columbus? Cheers, Mike
            The insanity continues. No, not primary season. I mean the weather. Right now it's 68 degrees. Cool I ran 4 miles in 65 degrees, kinda humid and misty-moisty. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50's, then back to winter for the weekend. No time - just saying hey to you all! TPW (that Poppins woman)
              Same in terms of weather here - weird. It's going on 6:00 p.m., and the temp is 67 degrees. Just checked weather.com to try to figure out what to wear for a run, and it's saying 80% chance of thunderstorms from now until 8:00 p.m. That's all I needed for an excuse to skip the run and try out the stability ball exercise cards I bought last week. Right foot is still a little sore from the speedwork stuff the other night, I'm really tired, and I have some school work to do this evening, so the no-run timing is good. I'm also within a mile of the 1,000K pace bunny. Got word this afternoon that my SIL had a mild stroke this morning. She's like a sister in that she and my brother started dating when I was 2 years old, so I literally don't remember my family without her. (Also in the way we get along and sometimes don't get along.) She's also, sadly, a perfect example of why I'm more determined that ever to take care of myself by exercising and getting down to a healthy weight and staying there. She's only 58, but has been severely obese for as long as I can remember. She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and diabetes about three years ago; really took care of herself for about 8 months, but then went back into "queen of denial" mode. We just lost mom's SO (she wouldn't call him "boyfriend," but they dated for 10 years and he was like my second father) at Thanksgiving, so my whole extended family is still mourning his loss. Would appreciate healing boomer/master newbie vibes. Smile OK, a little good news: I actually had FUN at school today. The whole atmosphere of both of my schools is still worse than ever, but lately, when I close the classroom door and teach, the kids and I are having a good time at it more often than not. Oh, and I'm getting my orthotics Monday! I CAN'T WAIT!!! Good runs, recovery, and random weather, all, Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, so sorry about your SIL. So young for this! I'm actually headed out to church in a few minutes (Ash Wed) so I'll offer some prayers for her tonight for sure. WTG with the pace bunny! I know it's different for everyone, but for me right now it's also a good motivator.
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

it's a little late, but a qucik note before bedtime. I just spent the day in Stafford NJ (waving distance to Eliz's summer stopming grounds) it was gorgeous right around 70. good thing I didn't plan on running--too warm Wink Of course, I can't fly through Philly without something going wrong. freezing rain in Manchester NH, so the flight got cancelled and I'm hanging out in the airport Holiday Inn for a short time. Eliz--so sorry to hear about your SIL. it's sad that she did such a good job of being a bad example. Sad Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Good morning Everyone, Eliz, My prayers are offered for you SIL and your family. I'm proud for you that you have decided to break the cycle. I'm also glad that you have been able to find some sunshine in you day at school. Kevin, I am just having the most difficult time thinking of you as "Stumpy". sorry 4 miles for me this morning. Back to the winter weather. We got a few inches of the white stuff last night. Cheers Mike
                      Just a quick note. Going to start running again tomorrow. A few run/walk miles to begin with. I cant take not running anymore. New Runners World came and I need to get out on the road more than ever. Have to take Kim to music lessons. Then seeing my DD1's new puppy. Cool. Will reply more later. Laurie the jealous runner

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

hi Smile Laurie, I'm glad you got to walk & such.. sounds like fun. be careful though. I keep hearing/reading we need to stop before it hurts. I've set myself back about 100 times. maybe ask your pt? ohh, that game. Teresa, I'm glad your running is going so well. Eliz, woohoo! speedwork. isn't it fun? roberta, you are so encouraging. did you get some good answers from the trainers? Mike, I haven't given up on Columbus, but I don't know what to really plan on at this point. I'm not letting myself think about it too much. but training for a full should start in May, & you should have a base of about -- i forget. X miles for X weeks before starting it. Wink. it's in one of my books, I'll look for it. One thing I thought about a little while ago was in a race that size they'd be sure to have one of those awful race-DJ's. standing on a platform giving a running commentary & announcing you when you cross the finish line. bleh. but maybe i could not care if I can manage to run it. Hi Jemmary! Eliz, I'm so sorry about your SIL! I hope she will be ok. scary, isn't it. and frustrating. also sorry to hear about your mom's SO. nice that teaching is going well, though. pat yourself on the back. thanks for the good tooth wishes. hard to talk about it w/o tmi, it's healing but way too slowly. still hurts to talk or to eat. Kevin, I hope you've left the airport. Linda, I hope you're doing ok.
                        dg.

Just a quick note. Going to start running again tomorrow. A few run/walk miles to begin with. I cant take not running anymore. New Runners World came and I need to get out on the road more than ever. Have to take Kim to music lessons. Then seeing my DD1's new puppy. Cool. Will reply more later. Laurie the jealous runner
                          laurie, you posted this while I was writing my post. i understand you can't take it. neither could i. really really think this through & do some research first, yes? ok? i was doing very careful walk/run miles on my nice track in early november. it is very hard (impossible) not to start to go fast at least for a while. you just can't help it. i'd start out at 13mph, & end up at 8, usually. (just for the laps or parts of laps I was aiming for) Even when I didn't do that I still ended up hurting. I'm not saying it will be the same with you, but you're just as impatient as I am!! Hamstrings are so easy to re-injure, & the more you do that, the less chance that they will ever heal properly. if they don't, you'll always have to be careful & will have a greater chance of pulling it again. I forget if you ever said where the pull is... it's worse if it's at the attachment site. If you can honestly manage to stop short of pain, it should be ok. I just don't think it's likely that you can do that. sorry for the lecture. just want you to be better.
                          dg.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/hamstring-rehab.html Laurie, that link has a return to running program that I think's interesting, but I don't know enough to know if it's any good. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml This is for returning from a stress fracture, but it's what perch used after his PF. what kind of puppy?
                              Kevin - glad you got to experience some nice weather when you were "down the shore." (That's what we Philly folk call the Jersey beaches.) Sorry about your experience at PHL, but can't say I'm surprised. If When I finally move "down the shore," I'm hoping I can do most of my (limited) flying through Atlantic City. PHL is the pits! Laurie - good luck with the run/walk thing. I won't tell you to take it easy - I trust that you're smart enough to do that. Listen to your body, yadda, yadda. It IS good advice, though. Smile Deb - hurts to eat?!?! That's horrible, unless, of course, you're drinking really good stuff! Wink Got in 3.5 miles this evening. Walked a little more than usual before and after because I'm feeling kind of ache-y and not-great all over. Sore enough to not skimp on the stretching, which is probably a good thing. Beautiful sunset run. Sunset is late enough that I feel kind of silly starting in my reflective vest, but I still definitely need it by the time I get home. I'm doing a unit on the Baroque period with my 6th graders, and Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor was going through my head the whole time - not a bad thing to have stuck in your brain! Haven't talked to SIL directly (she doesn't want visitors except my brother), but am getting updates from mom (who invoked her family matriarch status and visited anyway, which was good for both of them). We're optimistic that this may have frightened SIL enough to start taking better care of herself, so it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Test results not complete yet, but it appears that there's no significant long-term impairment, although her right hand is still fairly weak. She was being pretty feisty today about wanting to exercise her hand, so we're optimistic about that. Thanks for the prayers. Smile Byeeeeeeee, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Hi girls! I'll just second what Deb and Eliz are saying, Laurie. That magazine got you going. I know how it is - I feel that way sometimes just reading the daily thread. It just makes you want to get out there. But you have to be careful. Debbie, glad you're on the mend, though slowly. Undecided Eliz, yeah, this may be a wake-up call for your sil. Hope so! Glad to hear you're running is going so well. Btw, I love that Little Fugue! Haven't heard it in ages. Mike, what plan are you following for your marathon training? And Deb, what plan have you picked out? I've managed to build up something of a base. Here are approx. miles from the last 7 weeks: 18, 17, 15, 20, 20, 21, 18 I'm at the point, God and ankle willing, that I could train for a half marathon or [gasp] a marathon. I even have a plan made out. It's a composite of some plans I found online. But I will honestly confess that when I look at days calling for 16 or 18 miles, or more, it strikes fear in my heart. Not sure exactly what I'm afraid of - failure? injury? getting lost? Wink Anyway, I'm going to try to follow this plan, which calls for 20 miles this week, and then a very gradual increase. I can keep my options open for a while longer. Thanks for listening while I try to figure this out. Greetings to all - Jem