Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 623 times)

dg.

Jem, I was leaning toward one of Pfitzinger's, but would probably tweak it a little as the time got closer. I was also going to look at Tramp's plan.. remember when he got so much feedback?? it's in the wiki. what have you come up with? talk about it all you want!! pretty exciting. more fun than injuries. are you still thinking October? have you picked a race? re the fear. me too! wtg getting & keeping your mileage up. your ankle is ok? Eliz, not good enough liquid! I just won't even tell you what I had for dinner. except that it included spring mix & sprouts. pinto beans. tofu. ... all things I like, but not liquified. I may start thinking about better liquids. Wink. good news about your SIL. I hope you start feeling better soon. Laurie, I didn't mean to sound insulting. Thinking about what so many have gone through on the road to recovery.. as far as ups & downs.. this doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with smarts. I think running is kind of like chocolate.

Me

Good morning Everyone, Nice to see everyone, Jem, I don't have a plan. I am planning on the half in October. I haven't committed to a full marathon yet. that distance still sounds very daunting to me. My plan really is to start incorporating some speed work when the weather warms up, start some core strengthening work outs (even though I've been putting that off for some time now), and start increasing the length of my weekend runs. Nothing too structured. Deb, It sounds like you are feeling better. My son David, is home this week. We are going to my sister's house in Pittsburgh for a mini family reunion. Most of my brothers and sisters will be there. It looks as though I'm going to get some hill work outs in this weekend. It'll be nice, David is planning on running with me. I'll talk to you on Monday. Mike
        Deb, didnt think it was insulting at all. In fact it was good advice. I headed out today. Ran about 30 steps in sheer misery and then headed home with my head hung low. Leg and knee hurt. I dont know for sure where the pull is but the physical therapist works primarily on the lower hamstring near my knee and ITB. "running is kind of like chocolate"? Meaning you cant get enough? lol. Thanks for the links. The puppy is a mix schnauser poodle, they call it a schnoodle. Hahaha. She came over all full of energy and wanted to play with my corgi. But my lazy corgi wouldnt have anything to do with it. He wanted to just relax and watch the Eukanuba dog show, which is exactly what he did when they left. It was too cute. Which race did you pick out? Jem, you seem ready for a half. It seems like your miles are doing well. Eliz, glad your SIL is doing better. Maybe you should start a thread about her story. Mike I think you are ready for a full marathon. Didnt you run a half last year? I recruited 4 people to do the 7 sisters 12 mile trail run in April so this dang leg better heal soon. Getting impatient here. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

6.5 miles for me today - a personal record for length of run. Very challenging running, because the streets were very icy and snow-covered. Took me 1:18:26 - whew! I'm glad that's done. I guess I'll try for 6.7 next week. Teresa
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

teresa--great work on the long run. Just checked the pace bunny and you're over 100 miles already Surprised Eliz--you've passed him, too. Smile me, i feel like I'm falling apart suddenly. 1st, sore shins (which seem to be getting better), then some sort of pulled muscle in my butt cheek, and now a sore foot this morning. I noticed the muscle Tuesday morning, but it seems to come and go. Ran Friday with no problem, but it ended up hurting during the day. Max and I had a very nice walk in the snow this evening and nothing hurt at all Confused so WTF? Guess I'll go out tomorrow and see what it brings. Think I'll stay away from the hills, though, and run the nice, flat lake on the fresh snow. Laurie--I can feel your frustration, but hang in--running will come back soon, just not soon enough. Hi to everyone else. more tomorrow (I hope) Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Kevin, are you running/walking in different shoes? Could it be the shoes hurting feet and shins? Are you stretching before? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Mike, how was your reunion? Laurie, i'm glad you took it the way I meant it. Sorry your run turned out the way it did. This injury takes so much patience to heal. There does not seem to be a shortcut. I was worse again Saturday, I think caused either by walking too much & too fast Friday doing errands, or stretching a little too hard Friday night. I am thinking about going back & treating this like it's a new injury, step by step. but the thought of that makes me crazy. Running & chocolate.. yep. can't get enough. impossible to resist. solves everything. Wink the puppy sounds very cute. the race I picked a long time ago was the columbus marathon. poor Kevin. what's going on with your foot? What you said the other day about your pain-in-the-butt sounded a little like piriformis problems, esp. since it hurts when you sit. http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/piriformis-syndrome.php Teresa, congratulations! Especially on bad roads.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, dg! I made it 5.1 miles today - roads were not snowy, "just" icy. My pace was exactly 12 minutes per mile - I was having to run very gingerly! Lots of snow tonight, so I'll be on the treadmill tomorrow. I have to say, after a day like today, the treadmill doesn't seem so bad! Smile
                    Have been kind of scarce for the past few days - busy with family stuff and the usual blues/stress about work. Did run on Sunday in the wind tunnel. I fully expected to see Dorothy, Toto, and the house plop down in front of me at any moment. Got my orthotics last night (can I get a whoo hoo?), and boy, do I feel dumb. I had this fantasy that I'd pick them up, put them in my shoes, and immediately get Kenyan-inspired happy feet. Duh! I'm not even allowed to run in the stupid things for 2 weeks! I wore them for about an hour last night and about 3 at school this morning, then walked 1 mile in them this afternoon. (Did a quick shoe and hat change and then went back out to run 3.) Early dismissal today (another whoo hoo is definitely in order) and it's so cool because we don't have to make up the day and by the time I left school THE SUN WAS OUT!!! It got cloudy again when I started running and started to snow by the time I finished, which was really beautiful. Freezing rain now and through the night, so I'm hoping for a delay in the morning. I REALLY hate being one of "those" kinds of teachers who looks forward to snow days, weekends, and June, but I'm doing everything I can to get through the year. It definitely doesn't include looking forward to driving to school when the roads are bad. SIL's spirits are good. What I'm hearing about the care she's getting isn't. When the ambulance guys were bringing her down the steps, her ankle got twisted. She told the people in the ER and has been complaining about it ever since. Turns out her leg's broken - and it took them from Wednesday until Monday to even x-ray it! Just talked to her and she's still sounding really determined to follow doctor's orders about weight loss, rehab, medication, etc. Hope she manages to stick with it this time. Hope you're all having good runs and/or rehab and making the best of what seems here like winter's late-season attempt to make its mark before spring. Can't be too much longer, can it? Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, can't believe she had an untreated fracture all that time! Angry Re orthotics: Woo hoo! Smile Hope they turn out to be wonderful. Deb, you sound good. Is the tooth much better? Kevin, hope your aches turn out to be nothing. Smile Laurie, thanks for the encouragement. I got a marathon book from the library yesterday. Shocked Sorry you're try at running was a bust. Sad Theresa, good run! Be careful out there. Mike, I bet you had a nice time with your family! Linda, how are you? I went a little bonkers and decided to run 10 miles on Saturday. It was lovely on the trail. It went well except (you know there has to be an except) for some tightness in my calves, especially my right. I rested as usual on Sunday, and then again on Monday. The Monday rest wasn't planned, but it was good for my legs I think. Today, I got my run in before the precipitation came this afternoon. 5 miles in 27 degrees, but it felt colder. I think I needed another layer. I was still cold at the end of my run, which never happens to me. The problem with winter here is it comes in small doses, between 50 and 60 degree spells, so anything below freezing seems intolerable. Now for my drama. We had below-freezing temps and some rain today, and I had a terrifying near miss on an overpass. As I reached the bridge, my giant van started to glide to the other side of the multi-lane road, then skated several figure-8's from one side of the road to the other, eventually coming to a stop next to the median, facing the wrong way. I drove over the median and headed back the way I had come from. But I still had to pick up my ds, so I turned around and crawled over the bridge again. And I wasn't surprised to see that in the few minutes that had passed, an accident had taken place, with two damaged cars on either side of the road. I tiptoed another 15 miles to my destination and saw wrecks at several other overpasses. Any one of them could have been me. And my van would cream a smaller vehicle. Kids are hungry - take care, everyone. Jem
                      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good evening all. feels like a weekend, as I stayed home to work on getting full cable (whoo-hoo) after all these years. right now I celebrating by watching the Westminster dog show. made it out for a very short trot this morning. sort of slept in knowing I didn't have to go into work, then realized at 7-holy crap--it's a running day Shocked Since I still had a few things to finish before the cable guy arrived (scheduled sometime between 8 and 5 Roll eyes ) So just went out for a mile and a half. of course the fact that it was 12 out made me feel not too bad. Max and I went out for a nice stroll in the snow tonight. nice making the first tracks in the fresh snow! And amazingly enough, nothing hurt. laurie--my shoes shouldn't be worn out, less than 250 on them and I went over 300 on the last pair. so I don't have the faintest idea what was going on the past week, but am very happy that it appears to be over. deb--that's what I thought, too, but it went away so quick--wonder if it was just a series of cramps? Confused jem--scary trip indeed. It's always fun driving where snow and ice is not common. Sure glad there was no contact with anything.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

A wonderful gift today - a snow day!!! I HATE making them up, but I'm so glad to have some time to catch up (on work - what's wrong with that picture?). Shocked First call said 2-hour delay, then just as I was about to go out the door, second call, no school! Just spent the first hour of my "day off" doing guitar arrangements for 8th grade, which was actually kind of fun and did give me a sense of accomplishment. Three more sets of lessons to plan and I might be able to celebrate the 3-day weekend without doing any schoolwork! Whoo hoo! Jem - wow, what a scary trek through the ice last night. I-95 was completely closed through Philly for several hours due to slipping and sliding on a major bridge. Glad you're physically OK; hope you're nerves are settled now, too. I can just imagine the death-grip I would have had on the steering wheel for the rest of the trip. Kevin - glad you had a pain-free run, however short. 12 degrees!?! And I thought I was doing something yesterday by getting out there when it was in the mid-20s. Might run later this afternoon if the temps go as high as predicted and the ice melts. If not, will continue with yoga and maybe some strength stuff on the stability ball. Will also wear the orthotics - going for 4 hours today. Smile eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, How do the orthotics feel? Do they seem to fit your foot and shoe? I just went through about $40 on inserts for Kim trying to find the right fit. I think I finally did. So do you run in your shoes with the old inserts instead until the 2 weeks are up? Glad you got a snow day. I'm not really sure but I think my kids are off school next week. Which would suck since I have to work all week. Theresa, did you guys get snow yesterday? We got freezing rain on top of snow. Worst weather around. Jem, I often have to stop mid run and stretch out the calves. It helps a lot. I think you are our mileage leader at 10 miles. Way to go! Deb, I think I am with you on that new injury treatment. Oh and on the chocolate too. I consider chocolate the cure for all ills, like on Harry Potter. Cheers to chocolate and PT. I did a few steps on the dreadmill yesterday. Less than a minutes worth. But no pain. I think I will start back to running in little bits on the treadmill before I venture out onto the road. I always hated winter running anyhow. So its just as well I be injured in the winter. Kevin, glad to hear no pain with your recent run. I didnt even know we had to keep mileage on our shoes. I never did. I dont even know when a running shoe is worn out. They seem to last forever. Are there any signs to look for besides the obvious (soles falling off). Laurie

Eliz, woo hoo on your long weekend. Those 2 hour delays are for the birds. Sounds like you made the most of it. Smile Death grip, indeed. I had some body aches afterward from tensing up. Riding with my husband yesterday, I was a little more petrified than usual from his driving Wink but now that the roads are clean and dry I'm better. I was just so lucky. Many people were in collisions or stranded for 8 or 9 hours. Imagine heading out with little ones in the afternoon and finding yourself stuck there till midnight. Many a horror story in the news. Laurie, I stop to stretch sometimes, but I know you're right. I need to incorporate this as a habit. I just don't want to interrupt the run. So dumb. I do at least try to stretch the calves a lot during the day, When I wake up in the morning they feel tight and stretching feels really good. Gotta run
                                I think you are our mileage leader at 10 miles. Way to go! Laurie
                                Thanks, but I think it must be MIke. He's so modest, he probably won't speak up. Smile Laurie, re worn out shoes - the wear you can see is on the soles, at the heel and toe area, on my shoes anyway. The soles wear down, and become thinner. Then there's wear you can't see, I guess, in the cushioning. I need new shoes and don't know what to do. My old shoes are discontinued. I fear change. Shocked