Masters Running

Friday the 13th Daily 12-13-13 (Read 35 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  I'm sitting at the airport....hold on...okay, I'm back...I was afraid Jay would start another daily while I was posting.

Anyway...I got up and drove to the airport with Ryan, this morning...his flight left at 6:25...mine boards at 7:56.  It stinks that we couldn't get on the same flight, but we'll have fun when we get there.  We got dropped off at 5:20, walked in, stood in line to get our boarding passes, stood in line to go through security, went to Ryan's gate and he walked right onto the plane.

So, here's my problem...I know I have to stay hydrated...especially while flying...but, then I'll have to pee every 5 minutes.  I have aisle seats but  sometimes, I get stuck with the cart in my way.  I should wear those diaper things....I wonder if you can smell them?

Okay...I'm just rambling....I'll go and leave you all alone...but I'll be back....I hope....

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Hi Mike. Got those arms flapping?  Happily, I can't help you with the diaper thingies.

Sorry about the bad nights, TomW. I hope that stops right quick.

A psychological beard, Dave?

Sorry about the icy roads and crazy week, Lamerunner. But it seems you've gotten in some good workouts anyway.

Good choice to TM yesterday, Tselbes.

Now Ribs is Superman! I knew something was up...

"Easy 10" and TM is somewhat of a disconnect for me, C-R. But I'm glad you're staying close to DW for a few days.

Good tips on layering, C-R and CNY.

Have a great time in northern NH, Tramps. The southern part of the state is supposed to get some snow Sat. night into Sunday, but I don't think it's supposed to reach too far north. Good luck with the job transition.

MS, I'll bet you'd look fetching in just about anything! Good luck landing the new contract, and with all your upcoming visitors. Sorry, no ideas for the departing hipster, except for some small electronic that he doesn't already have.

Sunkid, natural, renewal fabrics are fine, unless they chafe or make you bleed (ouch!). Layering or not, I never wear anything on my workouts that is not moisture-wicking. It may not be environmentally friendly, but it is bodily friendly.

6.3 racewalking miles this morning in 16F temps (WC at 4). I backed off a bit on my pacing this morning 'cause I went pretty hard yesterday and Wednesday, and it's just not smart to go full-boggie all the time. So I went fast enough to stay warm, and slow enough to enjoy touring a couple of new streets and the Christmas lights that some folks left on overnight.

Have a greta weekend, and good luck to Twocat and Mike everyone else who is racing this weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...I had another post written and when I went to send it I lost my wifi connection....MSP only gives you a limited time, i guess.   Oh well...it's just as well...I was just asking the proper way to use the paper toilet seat covers....but, I'm kind of glad I didn't, now....

Poor Mike E is not too happy about flying and you all are doing your best to make it worse.  Now, now flying is among the safest forms of travel.  You are way more likely to get killed on the drive from the airport to the race.  See how much better you feel!

Speaking of feeling I feel like a potato.  Well that is today's goal: do very little physical activity as it is day T-1 to the marathon.  They should reschedule the race to today.  It is perfect, and I do mean perfect, racing weather!  Clear blue skies and in the 50's with little or no wind.  Tomorrow . . . well different weather services have different forecasts.

In the meantime here is a picture of the island coast at sunrise this morning.

The Kiahaw Island coast at sunrise.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - those thoughts go through my mind before a flight, too.  When we flew from Denver to Moab, I think an hour and 20 minute flight, there was no bathroom on board!  I was a little paranoid about that...

Jay - full-boggle?  

Twocat - lovely picture!

35-40 minutes of weights and core this morning, followed by 2 miles on the TM.

Another busy weekend of DD activities ahead:  She has a 9am basketball game, followed by participating in our small town's Christmas Parade at 11:15, then she dances with the middle school kids for the younger kids in all three church services, one Sat. night, then two on Sun. morning.  Plus, I know she expects me to take her sledding.....so much for "restful" weekends.....

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I made it to the Chicago O'Hare airport and, speaking of toilet seat covers...they have plastic ones that line the seats and rotate when you put your hand over a sensor...cool.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mike--you're getting ALL the highlights of the travel experience.

Holly--had two look twice (and get the stronger glasses), but that would be boogie, not  boggle.  Much more interesting visual, right?  Jay in full Saturday Night Fever mode.  No wonder he's up so early.

Yesterday and this morning were 4 mile lake loops.  Yesterday was a perfectly calm 19F with a 9:03 pace and today was 18F with a nice breeze at 9:08 pace.  Managed to pretty much nail the layers and felt just about perfect temps the whole way.  One of my major Black Friday purchases was a pair of $4 fleece gloves that worked great over the light liners I have for slightly warmer temps.  Makes a nice intermediate step before the full blown mittens (single digits).

And I'll make my yearly reminder of Robin's long time ago recommendation--a nice coating of lotion on the face before below freezing runs makes the bare skin a lot more comfortable.  And softer, too.

Happy racing to all.  Hope all your expectations are met.  TC--looks like a nice place to visit as well as run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Poor Mike E is not too happy about flying and you all are doing your best to make it worse.  Now, now flying is among the safest forms of travel.  You are way more likely to get killed on the drive from the airport to the race.  See how much better you feel!

MikeE -  if ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free of  your fears of flying, feel free to flush your concerns down the commode (if you make it that far) with the following fatality information:

. . . 1.  Plane - 1 per 1,250,000,000 miles
                  . . . 2.  Marathon - 1 per 2,000,000 miles
                  . . . 3.  Automobile - 1 per 625,000 miles
                  no particular reason but how many miles have you run?

http://www.fros-t.com/uploads/Running_Why_Do_Marathoners_Die.pdf
                  http://askville.amazon.com/airplanes-safer-cars/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2450727

ps - it was bad enough that he wears flashing flourescent tights but it was another of those signs that the end was near when it somehow seemed as if  superman's needed battery gloves for his old, cold hands.  Whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

8.3 on a dreary day at the Park. Light rain.  But then we'll get heavy rain later today so glad that's done.  Spareribs

I made it to the Chicago O'Hare airport and, speaking of toilet seat covers...they have plastic ones that line the seats and rotate when you put your hand over a sensor...cool.

....TMI....

apparently

after they PRY HIS HANDS off the armrests, mikeE will do just fine.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MikeE....this is so fun.....teasing you.  I hope it is a good distraction.

I dislike turbulence, so what I do is close my eyes and picture the wind currents buffeting the plane.  If I can visualize it, it doesn't make the jostling of the plane seem so random and unnerving.

Holly, you are such a great Mom....just wanted to say that.

Need to run this weekend.  In the 40s and raining, and I like this weather.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Work is really boring so I decided to my long run today.  I made my goal of getting to 2 hours.

11.4 miles in 2:03:04.  It is slippery and mushy out there so after about 8 my legs were tired (more than usual) and I slowed down (more than usual).  Still, not a bad pace for going that long.

You guys are cracking me up with the Mike E. stuff, but I am too wiped out to add to the fun.

C-R

RecThat:Hi dee ho neighbors .

Good luck the flying Mike. True story - we were on a check flight while in the USAF (5 hours). I went to the cockpit around 3 hours into the flight to find the pilot and copilot asleep and the navigator doing homework. he just looked up and said they would wake up if anything alarmed. Hope nt yur cew.

Very nice pic twocat  Looks better than the 7 inches due here tonight

That sounds busy Holly. Enjoy it cause when she gets the keys to the car things change

Recovery continues well  I managed 13.1 on the TM  DW can text me if I'm needed so that works well. watched The Natural while running  Forgot how great that movie is

Good luck racers.

Cheers all

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

True story - we were on a check flight while in the USAF (5 hours). I went to the cockpit around 3 hours into the flight to find the pilot and copilot asleep and the navigator doing homework. he just looked up and said they would wake up if anything alarmed. Hope nt yur cew.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

MikeE -  if ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free of  your fears of flying, feel free to flush your concerns down the commode (if you make it that far) with the following fatality information:

. . . 1.  Plane - 1 per 1,250,000,000 miles
                                . . . 2.  Marathon - 1 per 2,000,000 miles
                                . . . 3.  Automobile - 1 per 625,000 miles
                                no particular reason but how many miles have you run?

http://www.fros-t.com/uploads/Running_Why_Do_Marathoners_Die.pdf
                                http://askville.amazon.com/airplanes-safer-cars/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2450727

Gearing up for the Jingle Bell Jog and a parade for the fit4life coalition, volunteering at the Rotary food drive, plus working, has made my schedule rather tiring and did not allow me time for much running... but fun time I had this week!

It was 26F when I got home today and instead of running on the TM I put my blinkies on and went out for a run. Just 4 miles because I needed to come back home for dinner, a dinner my DH cooked , I may add!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard