Masters Running

wed 1-22-14 daily (Read 42 times)

Tramps

Good morning. Yesterday, I wrote a post then dashed off to shower and head for work. When I got home I looked at my computer and realized I never actually posted the message; it was still sitting there on my screen. Oops. Too bad, it was brilliant, really.

Cute kids, handsome couple, and sunsets on yesterday’s thread. Awww.

Ribs—shouldn’t Erika know the answer to that puzzle?

11F this morning with a good stiff wind so I bundled up for my 5-miler. Nothing compared to what some of you get, but pretty chilly for us. 3 inches of crunchy, icy snow (which of course isn’t plowed) so I broke out the screw shoes too. They worked great.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Yes Tramps, Erika should know the answer to the puzzle. As Marj pointed out, she saw the puzzle and remembered it was in Alaska. The answer is Anchorage, Alaska.  Now as to Tet's question, the city of 5 letters in Erika-land that is about the same size as Delaware and Rhode Island, I know it!  It's Gnome, Alaska.  You have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool me on either geography or spelling!

Yesterday the dr. called to give me the biopsy results.  I'm headed out the door right now to run, but I'll tell you about it when I come back.  Meanwhile, to set the stage, please open and watch this Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbStIb9XXw

Spareribs

coastwalker

Mornin' Tamps, and everyone else!

Nice run in some chill this morning, Tramps. Glad the screw shoes worked.

Cute GS, Tselbs!

Marj and Henry always look great in their photos - have you noticed that, more often than not, one of them is holding a drink? No wonder they're happy! 

Holly, my mid-weight mittens are Saucony.  For deep chills, i wear Manzella mittens. They do have a bit of a cuff (hardly elbow-length), but on cold days, that's not such a bad thing.

Last night's meeting was a waste of time. Fortunately, it was relatively short. We were supposed to get 4-7" of snow overnight, but it turns out we were on the northern fringe of the storm, and apparently it turned out to sea further south of here than expected. So we only got a dusting. However, I didn't learn all that till it got light out this morning, and by then it was too late to hit the roads today. So I just did some stretching today, and I'll try to get some miles in tomorrow.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

lamerunner

Good morning. Sorry to have missed Tramps' brilliance.  I might have had a colder run than Erika today; -2 with a bit of wind from the north. I stayed pretty comfortable ( well, after my hands warmed up) until the last couple of miles back north and into the wind. Just about 6.5 miles around town. Like Jay, we just got a dusting of snow; the roads were ok.  I may swim later but not sure; I swam the last couple of days. Rib has quieted down enough to allow swimming again, though still a bit painful getting out of the pool.

We could use some snow, esp up north.

Thanks Karin for your story about pneumonia. Maybe my rib fracture is  just a fluke, but I will probably move up the bone density test just to be safe. Not getting any younger.

Happy Wednesday!

Dave59

I ran on the basement treadmill this morning.  5 miles with 8x440 at 5k pace.   Technically I did the 440's a little slower than 5k pace, and I was supposed to do 10.  That probably explains why I am not super tired.  

I am anxious to see how the movie clip relates to Ribs news from the doctor.

Thanks Karin for your story about pneumonia. Maybe my rib fracture is  just a fluke, but I will probably move up the bone density test just to be safe. Not getting any younger.

Lame, my DW also once fractured her ribs just from coughing.  And she's not a frail woman.  No big deal.  It happens.  A bone density test though is a very good idea regardless.

3 miles on a chilly, windy morning.  But not chilly enough to cause any Dave59 issues.  Chillier and windier expected tomorrow morning.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

lamerunner

Thanks Bill. I am not frail either, though I am built like a fairly typical runner and I am on some meds which can impact bone density...

King of PhotoShop

Lame, do you know from X-ray that the rib is fractured?  Generally speaking the worst rib pain is when you tear the lining between the ribs. A cracked rib should not hurt this much. I suspect you have both a fracture and a lining, or cartilage tear.  Hope it heals up soon.

My RP is home from her Bermuda expedition but not able to run quite yet, so we walked 3+ miles so I could hear all the details of the trip, the highlight being the great times she spent with Joan Benoit Samuelson who was also there as a speaker and runner.

So if you saw the clip I posted you remember it's the great "Jump" scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, in which Redford says he doesn't want to jump because he can't swim and Newman laughs at him and then says, "Are you crazy?  The fall will probably kill ya."

See, if a woman gets breast cancer, she, her family and friends all get quite upset, and rightfully so, because breast cancer is an aggressive, virulent disease and often fatal. And there are more dangerous cancers, like my BIL's pancreatic cancer.  But prostate cancer, if you are fortunate not to get the aggressive strain, is most often a slowly growing disease, and most likely you'll die of something else. In my case, the heart disease will probably kill me before the cancer, so I consider myself to be pretty lucky.

Of the 12 tissue samples taken in the biopsy, 5 were found to be cancerous, 3 on the left lower portion of the prostate and 2 on the lower right.  Altogether the prostate is about 5% cancerous, and the dr. confirmed it is not an aggressive strain.  There are numerous treatment options, and on Thursday I go back to see him for a long consultation on what my choices are. The Saint will come to this appointment also, to write things down and ask questions I would not have thought of.

Today my only disappointment is that no one screamed at me for the Gnome, Alaska joke.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

make you feel any better?

So sorry to hear of that diagnosis, but happy that a positive outcome is likely.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

In my case, the heart disease will probably kill me before the cancer, so I consider myself to be pretty lucky.  Today my only disappointment is that no one screamed at me for the Gnome, Alaska joke.  Spareribs

Ribs, you are an amazing man.  You won't say it, so I will say it in your stead.  Crap.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs, you are an amazing man.  You won't say it, so I will say it in your stead.  Crap.

Bill

+100

Re: Nome, AK, quite coincidentally my DS was explaining to me last night how the name came about through an error, when a mapmaker copied a map annotation incorrectly.

Jay - thanks for the links.

No time on a work morning for me to take the time for the layers it would take to get me outside in (-5), so I stayed on the TM.

5.2 miles, including a 1-mile WU and 4.2 miles of tempo-paced fartleks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis Ribs. Way to stay positive and glad there are treatment options for you.

Bummer about the fracture. Ribs is likely correct on the lining tear. When it comes to ribs, who else in this forum would you ask advice. Yeah I know but I just couldn't help myself.

I'm with you Holy. It was cold enough here that the dog got right on his business and wanted back inside. One of our cats got out and made it all of 40 feet before he nearly ran me over trying to get back inside. So it was a nice 10k on the treadmill watching Justified.

Back to work.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

.....sorry to hear that ribbs//.......you're in Our Prayers

...We may not be Inspirations,

but

we got Some ToughOldGeezers in here.....

{{{ lamerunner}}}}...........yeah, those hurt like hell, move easy

============

...30mprnb

with steps

...........school is out due to snow and ice,,,,,,,,cut the work-out short, forgot TheKiddos would be hitting the pool

.......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

breger, I think I discovered why I couln't post my picture.  I pasted the information in the wrong box.  When I've posted pictures in the past, I don't recall having two boxes to choose from.  mari, what great pictures of henrun and marj.  Dave, a few years ago, while running on a cold, windy, day, I decided that henceforth for conditions like that I would wear a pair of shorts under my running pants.  I also think I've seen that one can purchase windproof running underwear.  ribs, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  I've known several men that have had a diagnosis much like yours and the treatments worked well.  My thoughts and hopes are that it will be the same for you.

This morning, it was about -5F and I did 8 miles on the TM at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

janie b good

ribs, sorry to hear about the diagnosis.  best of luck in choosing a treatment option--  I'm glad the saint will be there to hold your hand!

3.2 t'mill miles for me.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.