Masters Running

Friday's Thread - 9/19/14 (Read 33 times)

BlazinCajun

Here is a shout out to those running this weekend and good luck!

09/20 A Trackrat - Equinox Marathon, Alaska
    09/20 evanflein - Equinox Marathon, Alaska
    09/20 Spareribs - Some race in Tampa
    09/20 IBleedUnionBlue - Air Force Marathon, Dayton, OH
    09/20 rtravers - Melanoma Foundation Run for Hope 5k
    09/21 milktruck - Portland Trails 10K, Portland, ME
    09/21 pfriese - Swazi 5K, Bethany OK
    09/21 irishguy - Newport Half Marathon, NJ

Mariposai - Yea, Race Staff Week - nice nestled tempo run and cool

Twocat - good luck with the coach today - you just never know. I like speed work because it feels good and the sensation of the wind blowing by my ears under my own power.

AamosY - the quote was pretty funny - The longer the run the more chance that the weather will change at some point. Seems I'm always soaked whether it rains or not.

StarrRuns - Whose that a whistling? Ooh Ya ya

TammyinGP - Enjoy Newport and those free runs

C-R - 10k at lunch + relaxed 5k with club + officiating soccer = ? Sounds like you had a fun day

tet - enjoy your time off

Holly - Hope you enjoyed your DD's tennis match - sounds like the busyness has not slowed down yet.

BTY - nice running - woo hoo turning 50 on Monday

Enke - A sproinky run - be careful with that soreness

mrrun - Enjoyed a 10 mile run and biked to an afternoon class - enjoy your weekend in Maine

ribs - Enjoying Tampa - Good luck in tomorrow's hooomid race. Does Ilene know?

evanflein and A Trackrat - Good luck in tomorow's race and hope the weather cooperates

TomS - must be nice to run in 40 degree temperatures - we can only wish down here.

Mike E - those fly by posts are quick - you must be in a time warp, seems you do everything fast

Denise - You deserve a well needed rest.

I have more speed work this evening - repetitions

Have a great day today and by all means have fun! Andrew

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Thanks Blazin!  Great summary of yesterday's activities....yeah....sorry for the fly by posts...I just have so little time anymore...but, my family is healthy...I'm healthy...I have a job...I can't complain.

Good luck to all the racers, this weekend!

Oh...speaking of weather forecasts...the 10 day forecast looks like 52 to 72 degrees, partly cloudy, very little wind, and a very slight chance of rain for the VT 50.

Okay--time to get to work!  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Friday all.

Nice recap, Blazin--you've learned well from the master.  Who I hope is enjoying his Woodstock tour.

I also hope milktruck is feeling up to his 10K.

A brisk (45F), beautiful morning for a run.  5.1 miles with a faster last mile.  Everything felt good--nice to watch the sun come up.  did have to break out the gloves for the first mile or so, but boy, it feels nice to not over heat.  at least another month before the long pants come down from the attic.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Stumpy, I was thinking the same thing about milktruck's race. I hope he is doing well.

Andrew, thanks for the very nice recap.

5 smile miles. Call me fortunate one.

My bike Carmen has a new tube and she just took a bath, she is looking nice and clean for our 22 mile ride tomorrow. I am so excited. Tetsujin, this is part of a century bike ride event.

It is Friday, folks!!!

Go racers go!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeE, we much rather have short posts from you than none.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still just morning, and a happy Friday one to you all!

This is quick as DH and I are off on a short weekender; leaving work early for the airport.

And that is how I learned a new way to get some speed work in your runs.

We carpooled today, with me getting dropped off.  I sort of miscalculated where I was on the run (it was a bagel run morning, which is a little out of the ordinary, routine daily runs) and so my last mile or so home from the Bagel Factory was very swift!  Even whilst toting a half dozen!

Just got a copy of Barefoot Runner: the Life of Marathon Champion Abebe Bikila by Paul Rambali.  Let me know if you want me to send it along, tet, when I've finished it.  (Or anyone else, if he's not interested.)

Good luck and have fun this weekend, everyone!  MAri, may the RD gods be with you!

Hope Jay is having a good anniversary trip.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

BlazinCajun

MikeE, we much rather have short posts from you than none.

Same goes for everyone else as well - we all like to hear from you just to let us know that everything is okay, Take care

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

wildchild

Carolyn

Oh...speaking of weather forecasts...the 10 day forecast looks like 52 to 72 degrees, partly cloudy, very little wind, and a very slight chance of rain for the VT 50.

Thanks, Mike!      I remember how often we checked the weather forecast for the Wyoming marathon when you were here!  (and how often it changed...)   So today is the last day we can change distances for the VT50 -- I'm sticking with the 50 mile, because I'm stubborn.  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks, Mike!      I remember how often we checked the weather forecast for the Wyoming marathon when you were here!  (and how often it changed...)   So today is the last day we can change distances for the VT50 -- I'm sticking with the 50 mile, because I'm stubborn.  

Why is that not a surprising admission?

And for TW, I just got reminded of this:  http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Living as I do in southern Ohio, I rarely look at long-range weather forecasts because they are ridiculously unreliable around here.  However, Mike and Carolyn, that does sound lovely.....

I dragged out my Nathan hydration vest - the one I paid something like $80 for several years ago and have never worn, more than about 15 feet before I decided it was too heavy, sloshy, hot, noisy, etc. (also because I am spoiled to run where there are water fountains most of the time).  This morning I wore it for my run and was surprised to find that it really wasn't bad.  No more annoying than a waist belt or handheld, really.  I think I will bring it along to Vermont.  I believe Carolyn said the longest time between aid stations for the 50K is 6.5 miles, but for a slow runner in mountainous territory, that can take a long time.

Getting a flu shot later.  Then DD wants me to give her a home perm.

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Shiver me t'ongs tom..

Especially since he's not going weigh himself down by carrying his own hydration, I think MikeE better switch from 50M to 50K. Actually , he'll probably be lucky to make it even that far unless he has a hydration vest, pack, and a hand-held in each hand.  HOLLY: even though they are increasingly used in ultras all over the place by experienced runners I see, tell Mike that  they are uncomfortable, heavy and he better go without, especially if it is a hot, sunny day..

I don’t know how I got invited but anyone wanna join in a dinner tonight that will include the 301-mile goddess and some other local century runners and IM luminaries. Dove was gunna come too but she’s in Florida and, in light of her recent centuries, and francesca upping the ante to 301 miles, I was afraid to ask why

Have fun Equinoxing lucky erika and trackrat.

It's the 20th anniversary of mine but it seems

like yesterday clearly remembering every twist-and-turn

and the rich autumn smell of the fallen birch leaves,

golden on the dark soil. Say "hi" to Marcie Trent, my marathon mentor

in those days. I doubt if I'd've kept running after the 1977

Mayor's Marathon without her encouragement..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I sense my biorhythms may be turning back up. I was tired (again) this morning. I turned off my alarm at 5:00, slept until 6:30 and decided to skip any runs or workouts. But I started feeling better after a while and I went out for a couple miles 'easy' which turned out on my Garmin to be at a 9:08 pace. so that was a little strange.  My easy pace is usually 9:45-10:00 and up.  I have a mini-streak going and I don't have any trouble breaking it, but for now it continues at 33 days.

I was procrastinating at work yesterday by browsing the state wide racing calendar.  This time of year there is a lot going on.  As I was browsing I saw a 5k I never heard that was just a few miles down the road so I clicked on the register button and signed up.  I guess I am running a 5k tomorrow. It'll be my first 5k since the Resolution Run on 1/1.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - what does the weather forecast say now?

Dave - good for you!

Good Luck to all the racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I dragged out my Nathan hydration vest - the one I paid something like $80 for several years ago and have never worn, more than about 15 feet before I decided it was too heavy, sloshy, hot, noisy, etc. (also because I am spoiled to run where there are water fountains most of the time).  This morning I wore it for my run and was surprised to find that it really wasn't bad.  No more annoying than a waist belt or handheld, really.  I think I will bring it along to Vermont.  I believe Carolyn said the longest time between aid stations for the 50K is 6.5 miles, but for a slow runner in mountainous territory, that can take a long time.

Holly, a few tips on using a hydration vest:

• You don't need to fill it full - partly full will save weight and may be all the water you need.   There is a trade-off between less full and lighter vs. having to refill more often at aid stations, though.
                            • Squeeze all the air out of the bladder before you seal it, so it won't slosh.  One reason I like the vest better than hand-helds is no sloshing!  
                            • If you need to refill, take the vest off as you approach the aid station and open the bladder, so it's ready to refill quickly.  Similar to opening your hand-held as you approach the aid station.

Especially since he's not going weigh himself down by carrying his own hydration, I think MikeE better switch from 50M to 50K. Actually , he'll probably be lucky to make it even that far unless he has a hydration vest, pack, and a hand-held in each hand.  HOLLY: even though they are increasingly used in ultras all over the place by experienced runners I see, tell Mike that  they are uncomfortable, heavy and he better go without, especially if it is a hot, sunny day..

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Not much to report.

running, biking, trail building, RD'ing...and I manage to squeeze work in there somewhere.

Thanks for highlights Blazin.

C-R

My bio rhythms must be off kilter. I'm on a diet and gaining weight. Hmmm.

Slow 7 today (took just over an hour) on tired legs from yesterday.

TGIF but really means I get to try and catch up this weekend. Heh.

I may race a small 5k on Sunday. Its a charity for a local guy who passed a few years back. Small affair managed by his widow but its nice to know the people who benefit directly. Lots of times I have no idea where the dollars go.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/