Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.24.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Excellent racing by Deeze, C-R, and Rasmussenmp over the weekend: Great PR, Deeze, and great job on your best half since '06, Ras! What happened to Aamos???

TW, I'm sure the right buyer will come along - it's just too bad it didn't happen this time.

Jlynne, how are the offers on the house?

It was dry and in the mid 50s yesterday afternoon, so DW and I got most our our outside holiday decorating done. I finished some remnant yard clean up as well. We rewarded ourselves with a pork roast, sauteed brussels sprouts, and roasted red and blue potatoes (with truffle salt and fresh rosemary) and a couple of glasses of wine for dinner.

I usually take Monday as an SRD, but I didn't get in much of a workout yesterday, so I headed out this morning for 5.9 RW miles. I still thought I could beat the rain, even when a couple of random drops flashed in front of my headlamp a quarter mile into the workout. But I was in a steady rain by the time I got back. There was also some fairly dense fog along the coast road, so it was interesting weather this morning. But it was a good tempo workout, and I loved being out there, so I have not a single complaint.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Been missing a couple of days, so if I missed telling everyone how wonderful they are, please forgive me!

On TG Day the Saint and I will do the Dallas Turkey Trot, an 8-miler.  They also have a 5K and together draw about 30,000 people. It may be the largest in the country.  I think Buffalo, NY has the oldest.  Doubt that race will draw a big crowd this year.

So instead of running long yesterday we did just 8 miles at easy pace and today just over 2 miles around the neighborhood. And because I have been so fatigued this fall, I'm taking the next two days off, something I never do, just to see if I have any energy on Thursday. We'll see.

Watch that Cowboy-Giant game last night.  I'm a Jets fan, sad to say, but my boys are all Giant fans, and I have to say that "The Catch" was the greatest I've ever seen in all the years I've watched football.   Spareribs

Slo

Hiya All !

The 7th running of the Run For The Red, and first RD'd by me, is in the books.

Terrible weather...Cold, windy and raining. We still had 100+ show up and all had a great time and positive experience. Awesome volunteers...can not say enough about that.

Today...wow...the wind is bruttal. It's snowing veritically - gigantuous snowflakes that hit you like a snowball and explode on impact.

Weather extremes sem to be the new norm.

mrrun

We have pouring rain, but went to yoga so feel great.  Now waiting for the plumber, because our kitchen drain is backed up and our repair efforts didn't work.  May run this afternoon if the kitchen is fixed -

Congrats to yesterday's runners and RD!  Hope Aamos is OK.

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hiya All !

The 7th running of the Run For The Red, and first RD'd by me, is in the books.

Terrible weather...Cold, windy and raining. We still had 100+ show up and all had a great time and positive experience. Awesome volunteers...can not say enough about that.

Today...wow...the wind is bruttal. It's snowing veritically - gigantuous snowflakes that hit you like a snowball and explode on impact.

Weather extremes sem to be the new norm.

i sort of liked the old Norm.  Does that mean a new C-R?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

janie b good

64* w/really strong winds here (Columbus, ohio) ... SSW 31mph, gusting to 46mph (wind advisory: strong winds causing power outages and downed tree limbs!).

4.21 miles-- and while I did not have vertical snowballs exploding on me at impact, I did have oak leaves whipping around my ankles and "biting" ... when they hit just so on the pointy tips.  never had that happen before.  quite entertaining.  the wind reminded me of the ocean-- causing the leaves to ebb and flow like waves.  the leaves would come rolling and crashing along, and then they would gently loll around before coming at me again.  fascinating!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Some very impressive racing this weekend! 

I mosied out to my workout shed this morning and warmed up while still wearing my big ugly (but warm!) bathrobe.  There's no insulation in my little building, so it can be a bit nippy during winter mornings.  Once the little heater and my warm up exercises did their job, I got in about an hour of core/ST.

Still battling the cold/sinus infection.  Ugh!  My poor sore nose is ready to for this to be over.

Have a great week, peeps ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

(((Leslie)))  I still have some nagging congestion from my own cold, but not too bad.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Unless she was pacing a friend almost as slow as me, with the Philly results indicating aamos’ recent finishes would have garnered another AG, by at least an hour-and-twenty minutes or so this time, she must be working with the Philly RD as they have her down for a PW almost the 5:08 when she won an AG combination  total of three races in 2006 (5K/15K/marathon).

leslie - me too.

tom - got the robitussin in the hopes it will clear me up for the Thanksgiving morning marathon out here in Seattle.  Thanks.  Wish I could find the old Foley’s Tar and Honey though.  It’s probably with the Blackjack gum.
                    Mikemp - thanks for the update on your recent superlative “hafu” in Japan. Maybe the earlier time zone helps, after all.  With race booklets listing runner information and Olympic-like organization, runners take Japanese races very seriously, e.g. I bet you will never see anyone smiling, let alone jeopardize their performance by chatting along the way. The only exception seems to be the runner penchant, and spectator delight, for costumes in the Tokyo Marathon every February.  If fact, it’s become so popular that other marathons have had to warn: “No Costumes allowed.”  .

ps - that's Mt. Fuji from Shonan Beach during the 2009 Hiratsuka/Enoshima in my avatar background.

Good job slo-motion.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Great to see Mike pop in yesterday. Glad to hear you and Sue are settling in nicely. How's the beer over there?

Fantastic racing for so many folks over the weekend! I hope to get back to my 'fantastic racing' shape in 2015.

Short week. only working 2 days and then off for 5. David is on break this week but spending today and tomorrow at my parents. I'm glad that at almost 15 yrs old, he still enjoys spending a few days with his grandparents.

running related . . .not much here. . .although I am on track to get to 400 miles this year. Maybe I'll even be an over-achiever in December and surpass the 400 mile mark. . .

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Watch that Cowboy-Giant game last night.  I'm a Jets fan, sad to say, but my boys are all Giant fans, and I have to say that "The Catch" was the greatest I've ever seen in all the years I've watched football.   Spareribs

I'm looking forward too to seeing the Odell Beckham three-fingered grab while falling down that's the talk of today's sports shows.

However, not that you're at all an oddball in any of y our beliefs or anything like that, it seems kind of odd that nobody is a hometown team fan in your household. Not even the Saint?.  Even moving to Seattle and the lowly Mariners supplanted my life-long beloved St. Louis Cardinals.  Loving the Seahawks finally paid off though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I saw the catch on TV and it was very impressive!  Congratulations to OrangeMat who scored her first BQ!  Also to deez4boyz on a new PR!  Congratulations to C-R on his marathon as well.  Slo_Hand I hope your debut as RD went smoothly.

I got up this morning and it was raining out.  Under the no running in the rain© rule that meant doing something else was in order.  But it has now stopped raining so I can go out later this afternoon without breaking any rules!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Wow!  Good for Orange Mat!  She is one dedicated runner.

Here's what I wrote today on weight loss:  http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/11/running-for-weight-loss-two-helpful-tips.html/

Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hello to everyone, and congratulations (and a bucket of ice for your feet) to all the racers.

Bizarro weather went from crazy cold to sheet ice over the weekend, and then all melted down into warm(ish) rain and a howling gale today.

It's about as nice as it is going to be around here for the next six months or so, so I seized the day (OK, I took lunch) and went for a trail run behind my office.

Unfortunately, I rolled my ankle, the one that's becoming more fragile with each wipe-out.  So I stood in a flooding creek for a while to ice it down and then hobbled back to work.

Am getting a little worried about this one - it hasn't been absolutely Right for months and I may have to, like, ask for help with it.

Great article, Ribs.  I remember at one point The Hub was going to start running and he did exactly what you described.  My brother did the same thing and couldn't understand why he had such a hard time running 3 miles.  Um . . . maybe because you haven't done so since high school?!?!?

Re ultra runners - When you run, pee, and poop in the woods for 31, 50, 100 miles, fancy pants outfits aren't high on the list of priorities.

Get the help, Sally, and live to fight another day!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance